Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-25-2017, 7:45am   #1
Fasglas
Barn Stall Owner #457
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 77.6%

Thanked 5,091 Times in 2,389 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $10200183
Default NASCAR owners side with Trump, take firm stance against anthem protests

No real surprise here. Not so much an "insular oddity", but not willing to embrace the Monkey See/Monkey Do attitude the left so rabidly supports.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ess/698122001/

LOUDON, N.H. — NASCAR again proved to be an insular oddity in American sports culture on Sunday as Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series pre-race festivities at New Hampshire Motor Speedway were completely devoid of the type of national anthem protests that have permeated other professional sports.

Demonstrations have increased in response to President Trump asserting that NFL owners should “get that son of a b---- off the field right now. Out. He's fired. He's fired!" if one of their players protested.

On the day Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shahid Khan linked arms with players in a silent protest before an NFL game in London, if any NASCAR competitors shared the political opinion of athletes expressing themselves elsewhere, they fell completely in line anyway. In a state whose motto is “Live Free or Die,” crewman, including numerous African-Americans, stood in rows as usual for the national anthem, adhering to the prevailing opinion of the sport’s team owners.

“Get you a ride on a Greyhound bus when the national anthem is over,” team owner Richard Childress responded when asked what he would do if one of his employees protested during the anthem. “I told them anyone who works for me should respect the country we live in. So many people have gave their lives for it. This is America.”

Team owner Richard Petty, who won a record-tying seven championships as a driver, said he would fire any employee that didn't stand for the anthem.

“Anybody that don’t stand up for that ought to be out of the country. Period,” Petty said. “If they don’t appreciate where they’re at … what got them where they’re at? The United States.”

However, when reached by ESPN, Andy Murstein, the majority owner of Richard Petty Motorsports, said he would not fire an employee who protests.

"I would sit down with them and say it's the wrong thing to do that [take a kneel], and many people, including myself, view it as an affront to our great country," Murstein told ESPN. "If there is disenchantment towards the President or a few bad law enforcement officers, don't have it cross over to all that is still good and right about our country."

Murstein added that while he disagrees about firing an employee for taking a stance, he understands the feelings of both Petty and Childress.

"They are all proud Americans who have lived through world wars and turbulent times," Murstein said. "While I respect their thoughts — and personally I think it's the wrong thing to kneel — I wouldn't fire someone for expressing their feelings."

Walt Czarnecki, executive vice president of Penske Corp., said Team Penske has no policy regarding the issue and said, “it’s an issue we’ve never faced and don’t anticipate facing.” He said to his knowledge the team has never spoken with a sponsor about it, either.

Team owner Chip Ganassi said he liked “Mike Tomlin’s answer,” referring to the Pittsburgh Steelers coach who stood on the field as the vast majority of his players remained in the locker room.
Fasglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 8:18am   #2
6spdC6
A Real Barner
Activity: 34.2%

Location: NorthernNY! (A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake) in the peoples republic of NY
Thanked 3,394 Times in 1,858 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2115673

Percentage wise not too many blacks are NASCAR fans. Its more of a red neck sport and those people support the country! Most are not liberal, own guns and know how to use them. Remember most of NASCAR comes from the bible belt
Due to all his bullshit I now nominate NY Governor Andy (Safe Act) Cuomo to be called Governor Moonbeam (EAST)
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:51pm   #3
Milton Fox
Barn Stall Owner #1953
NCM Supporter '11
Activity: 0.8%

Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,426 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11047219

...and they are Americans first and foremost.
Milton Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 8:32am   #4
Milton Fox
Barn Stall Owner #1953
NCM Supporter '11
Activity: 0.8%

Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,426 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11047219

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdC6 View Post
Percentage wise not too many blacks are NASCAR fans. Its more of a red neck sport and those people support the country! Most are not liberal, own guns and know how to use them. Remember most of NASCAR comes from the bible belt
While that may have been true in the '50 '60 and '70s - it is not anymore. The teams may still be based in the diminished bible belt, but the fan base is not. Part of that is because it is not a red neck sport anymore. Racing around the world has always been a sport of the rich and priviledged not the poor. TV skews that perception, but if you go to a race event the minority representation is pretty close to the surrounding area.

Milton Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 9:52am   #5
Fasglas
Barn Stall Owner #457
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 77.6%

Thanked 5,091 Times in 2,389 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $10200183

Actually, THIS comes as no surprise...

Dale Earnhardt Jr. quotes JFK in response to NASCAR’s ‘take a knee’ stance

Dale Earnhardt Jr. quotes JFK in response to NASCAR’s ‘tak
Fasglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 9:54am   #6
VatorMan
Barn Stall Owner #122
NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'17
Activity: 5.0%

Thanked 8,403 Times in 4,256 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1158963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasglas View Post
Actually, THIS comes as no surprise...

Dale Earnhardt Jr. quotes JFK in response to NASCAR’s ‘take a knee’ stance

Dale Earnhardt Jr. quotes JFK in response to NASCAR’s ‘tak
JR needs to understand he's an adult now. Spell out the words JR.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VatorMan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 10:07am   #7
6spdC6
A Real Barner
Activity: 34.2%

Location: NorthernNY! (A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake) in the peoples republic of NY
Thanked 3,394 Times in 1,858 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2115673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Fox View Post
While that may have been true in the '50 '60 and '70s - it is not anymore. The teams may still be based in the diminished bible belt, but the fan base is not. Part of that is because it is not a red neck sport anymore. Racing around the world has always been a sport of the rich and priviledged not the poor. TV skews that perception, but if you go to a race event the minority representation is pretty close to the surrounding area.

Well considering by most estimates blacks are about 13% of the population as a whole that not what I see at those events!
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 4:51pm   #8
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,428 Times in 17,234 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco View Post
Murica.
There was a time when we didn't feel like anyone who was patriotic was low brow and worthy of derision.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic