Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-27-2010, 11:31pm   #21
AU Eagle
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5002263

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyealiz View Post
Here is my question: Has the FORUM gone down? Or just OT?

If, as Brian says, it's "the best place to sell parts" perhaps the other sections of the forum are just fine?

I honestly don't know. Just wondering.
I'm still pretty new to CF and OT for that matter.

C5 gen has been quite a big help, but ever since I joined it seems that a lot of people are uptight.

There are some cool people that I would like to meet, but there are some real azzhats there too.

As far as OT, again I'm just a newbie, I haven't been there for 10 years, but even lurking there is a turn off sometimes. I guess my skin is not all that thick, but I'm sure its a turn off for some people.

I think if a lot of people lightened up, it would be cool and I would actually go to a CI.
AU Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 1:16am   #22
iluvmyvettes
Vette Barn Crew

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra4B View Post
I would like to be unbanned so I can buy/sell parts.... I'm shopping high mileage Z06s to build into a race car so I'll be parting much of it out. There's no better place to sell parts.
You should register under a different name and with a computer from a different location and with a different e-mail address.
iluvmyvettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 6:31am   #23
Aflac
Barn Stall Owner #43
Barn Raising I
Activity: 1.5%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3903623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecooool View Post
I tried that. They need to hear from a lot more people.

Here is the POC - [email protected] (310) 280-4582

just threw the proverbial rock in the window to this guy as well...
Aflac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aflac For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2010, 7:04am   #24
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $16626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aflac View Post
just threw the proverbial rock in the window to this guy as well...
I'm doing that now myself.
Old 05-28-2010, 8:15am   #25
Joecooool
Barn Stall Owner #10

Thanked 1,765 Times in 758 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8563902

Quote:

If, as Brian says, it's "the best place to sell parts" perhaps the other sections of the forum are just fine?

Here is how it was explained to me.

The purpose of the Corvette Forum is to sell advertising. Nothing more. The Corvette specific parts of the forum (C1, C2, C3, etc) are what they want to push, OT and PR&C are there to keep those discussions out of the Corvette related threads.

The moderators hate OT and PR&C. From what I have been told, its their opinion that those sections do not generate content that attracts Corvette owners to the site. They have the potential to offend people and require the most moderation. OT and PR&C are the primary reason for the forum being banned from company servers for content.

The vast majority of forum members (something like 80%) have less than 50 post. Most join because they have a specific problem. They use the forum to figure out the problem and then move on. These are the people they want on the forum, the ones that have a problem and need to buy parts and/or service.

So there is the problem. The most popular sections of the forum are not profit centers.

But here is where they have it wrong. Its OT and PR&C that keep people coming back to the site on a daily basis. Most of the people in OT rarely visit the technical sections, they use them when they need them. Like the guy with 50 post. But by visiting OT every day I see the vendors every day and that's where I went to buy parts and upgrade my car. In my ten years there I spent over $20,000 with Lingenfelter, $8,000 with Mike Norris, $6,000 with CCW, $4,000 with LG, $3,000 with LA Performance, and $3,000 with Ecklers. I was a forum advertisers wet dream. I would not have spent that money with these people had I not visited the forum on a daily basis. It was OT that brought me there every day and OT that can be credited (blamed as my wife would say) for the money I spent with forum vendors.

I have thought for a long time had it not been for the St. Judes fund raising, Jessie would have killed off OT as soon as IB took over.

When I complained about the heavy handed moderation of OT, it was explained to me in no uncertain terms that it is not the mission of the forum to be my social network. That doesn't generate revenue.

And Cobra4b, if you want to sell parts on the forum go ahead. Just register using an "anonymous proxy" (google that word if you want to learn more) and there is no way for them to be able to identify who you are.
Joecooool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 8:30am   #26
Cobra4B
Charter Member
Activity: 0.3%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8830

Last time I tried that the registration process generated a captcha string that wouldn't show in the proxy so I could never complete registration. They have my work and home IPs flagged so I get effed on those. I used a buddy's SN for awhile who never uses his anymore and eventually they sniffed me out b/c I posted a picture of my red vert in a red verts thread.....

Is there something else I can do? Maybe I did the whole proxy thing incorrectly and/or all proxys aren't created equal?
Cobra4B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 9:24am   #27
Joecooool
Barn Stall Owner #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra4B View Post
Last time I tried that the registration process generated a captcha string that wouldn't show in the proxy so I could never complete registration. They have my work and home IPs flagged so I get effed on those. I used a buddy's SN for awhile who never uses his anymore and eventually they sniffed me out b/c I posted a picture of my red vert in a red verts thread.....

Is there something else I can do? Maybe I did the whole proxy thing incorrectly and/or all proxys aren't created equal?
There are many things you can do.

I'd start here - How to Change your IP Address

Then here - Online Anonymous Proxy

Of course the simplist way to get around a ban is to just create an account and log in with a laptop or net book on a public wifi.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:06am   #28
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

I don't believe Grumpy "hates" OT & PRC. hell, he starts half the threads in PRC. it's nothing but a heady power trip for him.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:37am   #29
vettex2
Banned

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2741

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller View Post
It's a thin shadow of what it was when I signed up 10 years ago.
vettex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:37pm   #30
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,238 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $30682687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06PDQ View Post
I don't believe Grumpy "hates" OT & PRC. hell, he starts half the threads in PRC. it's nothing but a heady power trip for him.
Phil's post would have been better worded to say Administration doesn't like it.

Moderators (like Grumpy) don't concern themselves so much with the business aspect, they just participate in the forums like everyone else, and correct threads and enforce rules as needed.

With Grumpy's job, and all the sitting around he has to do on standby, it would be difficult for him NOT to spend time in OT/PR&C.

Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Y2Kvert4me For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2010, 1:11pm   #31
Sneaks
Charter Member - C5 Mod
Barn Stall Owner #41

Thanked 1,291 Times in 827 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8192878

Quote:

C5 Gen has went to pot, as well as OT. For sale section is a good place only because of the volume of members on CF. More members= more parts/buyers
Give the Barn time to mature. You're going to see folks flocking over here more and more, as word spreads about it. We're friendly(well, for the most part ), it's relaxed, there are some genuinely nice people here.
Sites like Smokinvette, DC, and the Barn are what people are attracted to. Places where people can go, BS, check out others rides and mods, sell/buy what they want or need, and get technical information and help. All without a bunch of power junkies constantly watching for the slightest little thing to boot somebody off.
At least that's my take on it.
Old 05-28-2010, 1:19pm   #32
BuckyThreadkiller
Barn Stall Owner #12
Barn Raising I
NCM Supporter '11, '12

Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,065 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $168047

Quote:

Oh, the Generational Sections are fine. But moderation there has never been an issue. Maybe in some of the Regional sections (the Northeastern Meltdown comes to mind), but the floormat and which-swaybar-should-I-buy guys don't get pissy all that often. The problem is that if you look at the page counts, the Forum IS OT. It's got 5 times the thread counts of the General sections.

Advertising revenue is generated by page views and OT is where the money is made for the forum. Sure section sponsors and the tech programs get traffic for vehicle specific questions but now days the tail wags the dog.

When you get heavy handed arbitrary moderation and administration that enforces Disney level rules on an adult hobby forum you are going to piss a lot of people off. Twasn't always the case.

Troy seemed to understand that the vast majority of the membership was over 21, male and fairly well off. He treated us like that. Now it's handled like it's a PG-13 Middle School mixer. Can we get a good Miley Cyrus thread going?
BuckyThreadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 1:25pm   #33
BuckyThreadkiller
Barn Stall Owner #12
Barn Raising I
NCM Supporter '11, '12

Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,065 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $168047

Quote:
I disagree. Mike has little to no need for power trips, he just doesn't doesn't suffer fools.

Though I am disappointed to see the current thread about having a Black President turning the country into Harlem. That should have been boneyarded instantly.
BuckyThreadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 2:16pm   #34
NEVRL8T
Barn Stall Owner #25
Activity: 0.5%

Thanked 1,217 Times in 817 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $20496850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
Yeah! plus we have bewbs! Not me personally but the forum. Although I do have a set I call mine but that's another topic. Anyhow CF is still a great place for Vette related talk even if the gen sections are a bit repetitive at time. The OT section is the same bunch of folks who make the same jokes and wait to pounce on some unsuspecting poster for their own amusement or to make themselves feel important.

This place may not have the thread turnover yet but it's still a baby and there are cool people here who seem to be pretty genuine and that's what I like. Plus someday we'll have a VB cruise in and then you better watch out!

PEACE!
I like the way you talk.
Old 05-28-2010, 3:40pm   #35
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Quote:
I disagree. Mike has little to no need for power trips, he just doesn't doesn't suffer fools.

Though I am disappointed to see the current thread about having a Black President turning the country into Harlem. That should have been boneyarded instantly.
he may be your buddy [that's fine & dandy] but he has no business being a mod. none, whatsoever. I respect your politics because you [we] are all entitled to our opinions. but, he let's way too many people slide for blatant rules violations simply because he agrees politically with them,while others who come from a different point of view are basically walking in a mine field. this is human nature & I have encountered it on other internet forums, but at some point the administration steps in & puts the mod in check. that ain't happening at all on CF. Grumpy has carte blanche to do whatever the **** he wants to.

Last edited by Z06PDQ; 05-29-2010 at 10:30am.
Z06PDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 6:16pm   #36
zz4vetteguy
Charter Member

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9916

There are a few mods over there I like. I have never had any real issues personally with any of them. I am a good kid and try to stay out of trouble.

I don't spend much time in PR&C (cause frankly that place scared the bajeabus out of me...well I am not sure if it is the place or the people in it.) so I don't see much how the moderation is there, but in OT they keep referring to "THE RULES" but it seems that they just enforce them how and when they feel fit...depending on the day of the week, the weather, what boxers they wore that day, how bad their hair is, there is really no rhyme or reason how some of them moderate.

The Regional and Generation Sections are just stale. I am sorry, I love my C5, I like the BSM on it, but three threads a day about BSMs, seven threads about floor mats, nineteen threads about "OMG, I had the vette out of the garage and from under the covers and a rain drop landed on it and now I have to send it to Chip Foose to get repainted and detailed", and how damn specific does a picture thread have to be "Hey, let me see your Canadian Import Carmine Red coupe with smoked top, CCW wheels, and HID fog lights"...seriously.

I do like the parts section though, and that is where I spend most of my time when I am there. I can always find several dozen things that I need or want when I go shopping there.

Virginia RatPack - Trouble Maker
Street Dreams Corvette Club
zz4vetteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zz4vetteguy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2010, 7:16pm   #37
jeff w
Barn Stall Owner #40

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $32212

I will check out the gen sections when OT is dead or when I want to see pics of what $18k in the interior looks like. I may post in there more often once I own a vette. OT IS CF IMO.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:26am   #38
Joecooool
Barn Stall Owner #10

Quote:

Jessie, Grumpy, Pewter, and the rest of them all HATE Obama and they let their personal feelings affect their moderation.

Here is a perfect example. This thread has 100 posts in it and has been up for TWO DAYS in OT - [Memorial Day] Remember, Some Gave All, Some Gave Nothing - Corvette Forum

You can see moderators posting on OT while this is up, they leave these there instead of putting this crap in PR&C where it belongs. ***** about it and you get the ban stick. Put up a thread bashing the other side and it immediately gets moves and then you get the ban stick. They banned me for 90 days in 2008 for putting up a post in OT about the Army buying bibles.

The moderators in PR&C went so far as to let the N word slide for days just before the election. I know for a fact that IB got complaints from vendors and that was what forced Jessie to post his apology a few years ago.

Its their under moderation of post they agree with and overzealous moderation of post they disagree with that causes a lot of the problems.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:38am   #39
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecooool View Post

Here is the POC - [email protected] (310) 280-4582
I told this guy I have been a member for years & would appreciate a response........... crickets.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:41pm   #40
WKMCD
Charter Member

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5852

Quote:
I told this guy I have been a member for years & would appreciate a response........... crickets.
I PM'd Adrian on LS1tech when I was temporarily perma-banned. He just forwarded to SaveWave to deal with. I really don't think he gives a phuck as long as forum sponsors keep paying.
WKMCD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WKMCD For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic