Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-20-2021, 3:58pm   #81
Dan47
Barn Stall Owner #106
Activity: 10.4%

Thanked 3,956 Times in 1,657 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemtrails99 View Post
You're seemingly stuck in 1942 or so. The military hasn't done it's own thing for decades. Among many of the service personal it's a known fact that the military isn't going to invest training into a kid that quits in 4 years, so they hire what they need. I know of people who worked drones for the military and then got out. They had to get their A & P before being hired to work on them for companies. To a person they said they never had any idea the complexity and issues until after they went private.

I have no idea, nor do I care why this happens. But the military isn't a calling or passion to most in it. It's a job that they think will put them ahead. Somebody has to do the actual work.
I retired from the Army in 1994 and we didn't have a bunch of overpaid civilians in any of my units while I was in? We'd get a rep from General Dynamics once in a blue moon in regards to our Tanks but the dude didn't ride shotgun.

This seems to have gotten more popular when Bush Jr. became POTUS and our leaders decided to invade and occupy various ME countries (but not declare war). Just more un-Constitutional nonsense being overlooked by folks dependent on government for their livelyhood, IMO.

After my business was closed by government during this "plandemic", I've come to realize that government is too powerful. A lot of folks need to get other jobs or open a business. The private sector isn't meant to be the servant of government.

"It Is Difficult to Get a Man to Understand Something When His Salary Depends Upon His Not Understanding It" - Upton Sinclair
Dan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 5:55pm   #82
Giraffe (He/Him)
Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15
Activity: 0%

Thanked 16,607 Times in 7,133 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1009320

Attached Thumbnails
6D225703-6FD0-484B-B210-719303D8DBD5.jpeg  

Giraffe (He/Him) is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Giraffe (He/Him) For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2021, 6:18pm   #83
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 33,658 Times in 13,630 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan47 View Post
And FTR, I don’t give two shits about American civilians trapped in that shithole. Reads like they were cashing in as contractors and robbing taxpayers to feather their own nests? Or is there a tourist season and they just caught a bad break?
It's called Capitalism. There is a market and there are people willing to supply that market. Of COURSE they were cashing in. If I was 30 years younger, I would have been right beside them. The point is, you expect that your own country will protect you while you perform the job. You also don't expect them to pack up and run and leave you behind. They are Americans and the did not violate any law or deserve to be left to die. Think about the dumbass in Korea that gained sympathy for his treatment in Korea. How does one feel bad for that moron, and not feel bad for people doing a job for America and supporting our troops?

Here is a question. Do you think the military over there felt good about leaving Americans behind? Do you think they thought it was a good idea? Or the right thing to do?

Now think about what will happen when Biden decides people in the US with weapons, should be gathered up. Think about when Biden decides that the unvaccinated should be in a camp. Think about what happens when Biden decides that covid vaccines should be forcibly administered.

The people he tasks will follow orders. Just like they did in Afghanistan. They'll do it in your own yard. People thinking the Police or military will never support violations of the 1st or 2nd amendment are delusional.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2021, 8:28pm   #84
Dan47
Barn Stall Owner #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post
It's called Capitalism. There is a market and there are people willing to supply that market. Of COURSE they were cashing in. If I was 30 years younger, I would have been right beside them. The point is, you expect that your own country will protect you while you perform the job. You also don't expect them to pack up and run and leave you behind. They are Americans and the did not violate any law or deserve to be left to die. Think about the dumbass in Korea that gained sympathy for his treatment in Korea. How does one feel bad for that moron, and not feel bad for people doing a job for America and supporting our troops?

Here is a question. Do you think the military over there felt good about leaving Americans behind? Do you think they thought it was a good idea? Or the right thing to do?

Now think about what will happen when Biden decides people in the US with weapons, should be gathered up. Think about when Biden decides that the unvaccinated should be in a camp. Think about what happens when Biden decides that covid vaccines should be forcibly administered.

The people he tasks will follow orders. Just like they did in Afghanistan. They'll do it in your own yard. People thinking the Police or military will never support violations of the 1st or 2nd amendment are delusional.
Nonsense. These folks aren’t working for Americans and it’s the farthest it could possibly be from “Capitalism”. Capitalism is free markets, not deficits, trillions of debt and central bank monetization of treasuries no one with two working neurons to rub together, would invest in.

These folks chose to work for the Swamp. They didn’t ask me for my opinion and I wish no ill will upon them but they made their own beds, I owe them **** all.

This whole episode has been a shit show and a wealth transfer, from the beginning on top of the more recent WuFlu and Vaccine nonsense. You work for the Swamp, you are responsible for the consequences, not me.
Old 08-21-2021, 7:06am   #85
Broken Wind
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 2,418 Times in 934 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1013854

Quote:
Nonsense. These folks aren’t working for Americans and it’s the farthest it could possibly be from “Capitalism”. Capitalism is free markets, not deficits, trillions of debt and central bank monetization of treasuries no one with two working neurons to rub together, would invest in.

These folks chose to work for the Swamp. They didn’t ask me for my opinion and I wish no ill will upon them but they made their own beds, I owe them **** all.

This whole episode has been a shit show and a wealth transfer, from the beginning on top of the more recent WuFlu and Vaccine nonsense. You work for the Swamp, you are responsible for the consequences, not me.
Holy Christ. It’s worse than I thought.
Broken Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Broken Wind For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2021, 7:15am   #86
Dan47
Barn Stall Owner #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Wind View Post
Holy Christ. It’s worse than I thought.
That’s deep. /s

How about committing your thoughts to the thread so we can discuss them and see what’s “worse”?
Old 08-21-2021, 7:25am   #87
Jeff '79
Barn Stall Owner #2112
Fantasy Football Champ '14,'16,'20
Bantayan Kids '13

Thanked 10,607 Times in 6,383 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3043611

Not that anyone G's AFF but my brother was a contractor in Kuwait during and after the 2nd Gulf war. He had missiles flying over his head on many days.
Why did he do that?
Greed, simple as that.
To go to a war zone because you are making 5x's the money you'd make here in the States is pure greed.
Call it capitalism all you want, but it's pure greed.
He knew the risks, and like some here, was very cavalier about it.
It's all good until it isn't.
When it isn't, I shouldn't have to foot the bill to get them home.
You wanna play, you have to understand that you may have to pay.
Everyone knew that The Trump administration in February 2020 negotiated a withdrawal agreement with the Taliban that excluded the Afghan government, freed 5,000 imprisoned Taliban soldiers and set a date certain of May 1, 2021, for the final withdrawal.
https://www.state.gov/wp-content/upl...n-02.29.20.pdf
Did they think that he was kidding? Biden even delayed it. There was ample time for everyone to leave.
The wild card?
The Tallyban swooped in and took the joint over. Who really thought that the Afghans would cave like they did?
Yep. A total shit show on many levels.
Jeff '79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 9:51am   #88
Giraffe (He/Him)
Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15

Thanked 16,607 Times in 7,133 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1009320

I know in many cases contractors have a relocation allowance if you’re working overseas. Hell, they pay it here in the states. I gotta believe that includes getting the **** outta Dodge.
Giraffe (He/Him) is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Giraffe (He/Him) For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2021, 10:44am   #89
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:

Complete bullshit. The company I work for fills government contracts. We've done it under three presidents and it made no difference if they were corrupt or a hero. It is capitalism. You need it, I have it, Very basic. If you think a trained soldier whose job it is to defend this country, is better utilized shuttling people from a hotel to a base, that's a special kind of stupid.

Hire people to do the menial tasks and pay them more to take the risk. That has nothing to do with the Swamp. Do you think the window washers in Manhattan make the same money as the Molly Maid that comes by and washes windows in a house? No, and they shouldn't.

You want to train a fkn marine to kill just so he can make beds or pass out newspapers? Bullshit. Get outsiders for that. Use the troops for what they are trained for.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2021, 11:32am   #90
Dan47
Barn Stall Owner #106

Quote:
Complete bullshit. The company I work for fills government contracts. We've done it under three presidents and it made no difference if they were corrupt or a hero. It is capitalism. You need it, I have it, Very basic. If you think a trained soldier whose job it is to defend this country, is better utilized shuttling people from a hotel to a base, that's a special kind of stupid.

Hire people to do the menial tasks and pay them more to take the risk. That has nothing to do with the Swamp. Do you think the window washers in Manhattan make the same money as the Molly Maid that comes by and washes windows in a house? No, and they shouldn't.

You want to train a fkn marine to kill just so he can make beds or pass out newspapers? Bullshit. Get outsiders for that. Use the troops for what they are trained for.
More nonsense. Capitalism and Government purchases are polar opposites, especially when the funding for said purchases is acquired by a central bank pulling dollars from its ass.

Definition of capitalism

: an economic system characterized by private or corporate ownership of capital goods, by investments that are determined by private decision, and by prices, production, and the distribution of goods that are determined by competition in a free market.

Here's an article from the military times disputing your belief that these contractors are "shuttling people from a hotel to a base."

"Who are the private contractors in Iraq and Afghanistan?"

"The debate on privatizing the war in Afghanistan is heating up yet again, with Democratic lawmakers pledging to end so-called “forever wars.” The public is slowly recognizing the war’s hidden costs and global scale.

In 2016, one in four U.S. personnel in Iraq and Afghanistan was a private contractor. This means that the war is already being outsourced, yet scholars, the media and the general public know almost nothing about it.

Because contractors operate in the shadows, without effective public oversight, they allow policymakers to have their cake and eat it too – by appearing to withdraw, while keeping proxy forces in theater."

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...d-afghanistan/
Old 08-21-2021, 11:44am   #91
Dan47
Barn Stall Owner #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
Guess how I can tell you never served in the military?
How's your investigation going? Thought for sure by now, you and your co-signers would have doxed me?

And since we're on the subject, what exactly did you do in the service? What branch, etc.? What do you do now, does it include business with the government?

I was a tanker in the Army and have owned and operated a "non-essential" business since leaving, (fwiw). Spent my whole life around the military as an Air Force brat too. We used to be able to walk right next to the Battleships at Pearl Harbor, back in the day. Now it's all off limits because "terrorists".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan47 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2021, 11:49am   #92
Dan47
Barn Stall Owner #106

Old 08-21-2021, 11:53am   #93
Anjdog2003
Due to inflation they are no longer free
Activity: 66.2%

Thanked 25,745 Times in 10,026 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $324490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff '79 View Post
Not that anyone G's AFF but my brother

We don't.
Anjdog2003 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anjdog2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2021, 12:24pm   #94
Broken Wind
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 2,418 Times in 934 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1013854

Quote:
That’s deep. /s

How about committing your thoughts to the thread so we can discuss them and see what’s “worse”?
OK, I get that you lost your business recently and you have a deep seated dislike, bordering on hatred, for the government (swamp) which you hold responsible. Fair enough.

However, your posts in this thread are interweaving micro and macro economics, casting aspersions upon those who choose to maximize their value in markets, and making it difficult to determine what exactly your point is other than just generally spouting off.
Broken Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Broken Wind For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2021, 12:46pm   #95
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
More nonsense. Capitalism and Government purchases are polar opposites, especially when the funding for said purchases is acquired by a central bank pulling dollars from its ass.

Definition of capitalism

: an economic system characterized by private or corporate ownership of capital goods, by investments that are determined by private decision, and by prices, production, and the distribution of goods that are determined by competition in a free market.

Here's an article from the military times disputing your belief that these contractors are "shuttling people from a hotel to a base."

"Who are the private contractors in Iraq and Afghanistan?"

"The debate on privatizing the war in Afghanistan is heating up yet again, with Democratic lawmakers pledging to end so-called “forever wars.” The public is slowly recognizing the war’s hidden costs and global scale.

In 2016, one in four U.S. personnel in Iraq and Afghanistan was a private contractor. This means that the war is already being outsourced, yet scholars, the media and the general public know almost nothing about it.

Because contractors operate in the shadows, without effective public oversight, they allow policymakers to have their cake and eat it too – by appearing to withdraw, while keeping proxy forces in theater."

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...d-afghanistan/
Capitalism in your definition conveniently omits "services". Is Housecleaning not an example of capitalism? Lawncare? Mechanical repairs? Healthcare?

As far as the bolded part, if they don't know about it, they are idiots. Who DOESN'T know about it? The attacks on Dick Chaney and Halliburton were centered around this very thing. That is an asinine statement by an idiotic author. Those aren't hidden costs any more than your or my salary is. It's in a budget somewhere. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it's not there.

This took about 2.5 seconds to find...In 2019, the Pentagon spent $370 billion on contracting.
Old 08-21-2021, 12:47pm   #96
Dan47
Barn Stall Owner #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Wind View Post
OK, I get that you lost your business recently and you have a deep seated dislike, bordering on hatred, for the government (swamp) which you hold responsible. Fair enough.

However, your posts in this thread are interweaving micro and macro economics, casting aspersions upon those who choose to maximize their value in markets, and making it difficult to determine what exactly your point is other than just generally spouting off.
I didn't lose my business, I lost some business. I wouldn't call it a hatred for government as much as an effort to educate / inform people defending or ignoring this un-Constitutional nonsense when it suits their purposes.

"In a Time of Universal Deceit — Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act"

Micro and macro economics are interweaved.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2021, 1:00pm   #97
Dan47
Barn Stall Owner #106

Quote:
Capitalism in your definition conveniently omits "services". Is Housecleaning not an example of capitalism? Lawncare? Mechanical repairs? Healthcare?

As far as the bolded part, if they don't know about it, they are idiots. Who DOESN'T know about it? The attacks on Dick Chaney and Halliburton were centered around this very thing. That is an asinine statement by an idiotic author. Those aren't hidden costs any more than your or my salary is. It's in a budget somewhere. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it's not there.

This took about 2.5 seconds to find...In 2019, the Pentagon spent $370 billion on contracting.
That isn't my definition of Capitalism, it's the dictionary's. Government has a monopoly on force, they cannot by definition participate in a free market. When their spending is funded by a central bank monetizing their debt, it literally becomes a form of Communism, not Capitalism. It doesn't matter what is being paid for, goods or services, but how.

"Is America Embracing the 10 Tenets of the Communist Manifesto?"

Another unconstitutional, and communistic-inspired entity, is the Federal Reserve, America’s national bank which exerts unprecedented power to set monetary policy with the intent of "stabilizing" the economy. All in all, the impact central bankers have had on the U.S. economy has been devastating, by, for instance, devaluing the dollar and spiking inflation rates by printing more and more money.

"One of the fundamental problems with the U.S. economy right now is the Federal Reserve thinks the answer to all our economic problems is printing money," asserted Stephen Moore of the Wall Street Journal. "We haven’t created new jobs from all of this printing of money, but what we have produced is inflation in prices." (The actual definition of inflation is an increase in the amount of currency in circulation, which in turn causes an increase in prices.) https://thenewamerican.com/is-americ...ist-manifesto/
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan47 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2021, 1:04pm   #98
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
That isn't my definition of Capitalism, it's the dictionary's. Government has a monopoly on force, they cannot by definition participate in a free market. When their spending is funded by a central bank monetizing their debt, it literally becomes a form of Communism, not Capitalism. It doesn't matter what is being paid for, goods or services, but how.

"Is America Embracing the 10 Tenets of the Communist Manifesto?"

Another unconstitutional, and communistic-inspired entity, is the Federal Reserve, America’s national bank which exerts unprecedented power to set monetary policy with the intent of "stabilizing" the economy. All in all, the impact central bankers have had on the U.S. economy has been devastating, by, for instance, devaluing the dollar and spiking inflation rates by printing more and more money.

"One of the fundamental problems with the U.S. economy right now is the Federal Reserve thinks the answer to all our economic problems is printing money," asserted Stephen Moore of the Wall Street Journal. "We haven’t created new jobs from all of this printing of money, but what we have produced is inflation in prices." (The actual definition of inflation is an increase in the amount of currency in circulation, which in turn causes an increase in prices.) https://thenewamerican.com/is-americ...ist-manifesto/
Is providing a service, capitalism. Yes or No?

The bold part is EXACTLY why there are contractors. Much like prisons can't compete in the free market. You have now decided to argue with yourself apparently.

May I bother you to please provide the part of the Constitution being violated by hiring a guy to drive people around in a van?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2021, 1:24pm   #99
Jeff '79
Barn Stall Owner #2112
Fantasy Football Champ '14,'16,'20
Bantayan Kids '13

Thanked 10,607 Times in 6,383 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3043611

Quote:

The bold part is EXACTLY why there are contractors. Much like prisons can't compete in the free market. You have now decided to argue with yourself apparently.

May I bother you to please provide the part of the Constitution being violated by hiring a guy to drive people around in a van?
What exactly is your point with respect to the original issue??
As usual, your deflection is most admirable
Jeff '79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 3:26pm   #100
Dan47
Barn Stall Owner #106

Quote:

No, providing a service is providing a service.

Capitalism refers to how wealth is created and exchanged, (goods and services). A freely chosen exchange of goods or services, freely created and paid for by the parties involved is Capitalism.

Government gets it's ability to purchase goods and services by stealing it from some and transferring it to others. Welfare and modern day government spending in general, provide services in line with this dude's thinking:

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs." - Karl Marx

Social Security is not Capitalism but it provides all sorts of services with a generational theft and transfer of wealth.

"The part of the Constitution being violated by hiring a guy to drive people around in a van" is paying him with Federal Reserve notes:

Article I

Section 10

Clause 1

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility. - U.S. Constitution

There are probably others being violated but the fiat currency being used to steal and transfer wealth via inflation, is the root cause of our problems, IMO.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan47 For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic