Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-18-2021, 1:13pm   #1
ZipZap
Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team
Activity: 4.3%

Location: A sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory
Thanked 9,187 Times in 4,361 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23236
Default Good to Know Some are Still Out There

To: The Marines and Sailors of 2nd MEB-Afghanistan
SgtMaj Ernest K Hoopii, USMC RET
Subj: Current events in Afghanistan
Date: Tuesday 17 August 2021
Marines and Sailors, SGTMAJ Hoopii and I know that for all of us who served in Afghanistan wearing the cloth of our nation, the events of the last week have been excruciating to watch, and even more challenging to understand. I will not in this short note attempt to explain, justify, or provide reasons or excuses for the decisions made, or actions taken that contributed to the events that are still unfolding in Afghanistan. There will be plenty of that being done very publicly in the weeks, months and even years ahead.
What the SGTMAJ and I want to emphatically re-affirm to each of you is something you already know, but something we want to further emphasize and underscore during this period of reflection for us all...and that is simply this:
That each of you served with great honor, that every day you fought with great valor, and that every day you did your job in an unforgiving hostile environment, far from home and always acquitting yourselves and our Corps with the greatest of distinction, as we sought to make Afghanistan a safer and better place for the people we were protecting. It wasn't easy, we lost brothers and sisters who will never be forgotten. We endured endless patrols, firefights, IED strikes and unforgiving weather, but we never backed down or waivered. We answered the bell every day without fail and did our jobs. We did them well. We cannot control what occurs after we are gone, nor can we control the political winds that blow; all we can do is accomplish our assigned tasks and missions to the best of our ability while we are there, and that is something we did magnificently and will forever be proud of.
No matter the stunning events of the past few weeks, nothing can diminish your selfless service to our nation, the accomplishments you achieved, and the spirit with which you fought...You raised your hand and said "IF NOT ME, THEN WHO".... We are incredibly proud of you and our great team, and I know you are too. We dominated the enemy at every encounter, we protected the weak and vulnerable from the enemy, and we looked out for one another on the battlefield every day. I hope each of you are still in touch with many of your great teammates, and I hope each of you will reach out to your combat buddies, see how they are doing, give them a "buddy check" and share this note widely with them. We were there for each other in the fight, and that connection to each other has not changed. We put it on the line every day and we made our families (who also sacrificed so much), our Corps, and our nation immensely proud. AND THAT MY FELLOW WARRIORS WILL NEVER CHANGE.
You may be interested to know that we are working through several different channels to provide safe passage out of Afghanistan for a number of our former interpreters, partners, and their family members who risked everything to serve and work with us while we were on deck. Please keep in mind those Afghans we served with who remain behind, and find themselves and their families in great jeopardy.
SGTMAJ Hoopii and I could not be prouder than to have served with each of you in the fight. May God Bless each of you and your families. Semper Fidelis,
L.D Nicholson LtGen, USMC RET
Ernest Hoopii, SgtMaj, USMC RET
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ZipZap For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2021, 1:17pm   #2
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
Bantayan Kids '14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18

Thanked 12,538 Times in 5,853 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1084134

Do you have a link to this? I'd like to share the original with some Marine buddies.
VITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VITE1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2021, 1:27pm   #3
ZipZap
Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITE1 View Post
Do you have a link to this? I'd like to share the original with some Marine buddies.
I got it from a navy pilot buddy, so I just have it on facebook...

https://www.facebook.com/2dMEBAfghanistan/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZipZap For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2021, 1:45pm   #4
Dan Dlabay
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 1.2%

Thanked 5,731 Times in 2,515 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $875210

You can tell that those 2 care for their men and the Marines. They are not woke idiots like apparent the General staff is.
Dan Dlabay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dan Dlabay For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2021, 2:36pm   #5
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
Bantayan Kids '14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18

Thanked 12,538 Times in 5,853 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1084134

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
I got it from a navy pilot buddy, so I just have it on facebook...

https://www.facebook.com/2dMEBAfghanistan/
Found it and shared. Thanks.
VITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VITE1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2021, 5:45am   #6
Broken Wind
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 2,418 Times in 934 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1013854

There was a time that Larry Nicholson and I were peers. We served together on the II MEF staff in the mid-late 90s. He had a LOT more on the ball than I did, hence he went much further than I did. Deservedly so.

When I see and hear the criticism of senior military leaders today, some quite deserved, I think about people I served with like Gen Nicholson, MGen Ray Smith, and others of equal distinction. Not all senior officers are “woke”, whatever that means. Three and four star officers working in the DC region are political because that’s their job in that environment. Some are better at it than others.
Broken Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Broken Wind For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2021, 12:16pm   #7
ZipZap
Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Wind View Post
There was a time that Larry Nicholson and I were peers. We served together on the II MEF staff in the mid-late 90s. He had a LOT more on the ball than I did, hence he went much further than I did. Deservedly so.

When I see and hear the criticism of senior military leaders today, some quite deserved, I think about people I served with like Gen Nicholson, MGen Ray Smith, and others of equal distinction. Not all senior officers are “woke”, whatever that means. Three and four star officers working in the DC region are political because that’s their job in that environment. Some are better at it than others.
I worked with pretty much the entire USSF current senior leadership at one time or another, from the one stars to the four stars, and some being better than others is spot on.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZipZap For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic