Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-25-2024, 3:55pm   #2781
Red Baron
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
Mine doesn't have a paddle shifter. Just a Hurst stick. And 'sport mode' is when the secondary carburetor kicks in. My 'AC' is opening the cowl vent with a chrome lever. My mpg is terrible. But I can fill the tank in five minutes and be over the horizon in another minute. Attachment 100736

Attachment 100737
Nice C1, just starting to transition into the surfin' craze/Beach Boy era there. Uh oh, I feel a song comin' on. Bob, Bob, Bob... Bob Bobra Ann... Lunch break's over Kid, get to work on this one.
Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 5:27pm   #2782
sublime1996525
A Real Barner
Activity: 8.3%

Thanked 6,663 Times in 2,985 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1008643

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
That's pretty impressive.

Of course, as @Aerovette will gladly tell you, your average speed includes all the times you are stopped at a red light or at a gas station or driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic, which tend to bring your average speed way down. So when you're in light traffic you must be doing significant bursts of 160MPH.
Thankfully there is not a lot of stop lights or bumper to bumper traffic. Sometimes I don’t even need to stop for gas.
sublime1996525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 7:59pm   #2783
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner
Activity: 74.8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
Mine doesn't have a paddle shifter. Just a Hurst stick. And 'sport mode' is when the secondary carburetor kicks in. My 'AC' is opening the cowl vent with a chrome lever. My mpg is terrible. But I can fill the tank in five minutes and be over the horizon in another minute. Attachment 100736

Attachment 100737
Nice Vette!
GrandSportC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 9:08pm   #2784
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 43.5%

Thanked 7,748 Times in 3,448 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
Actually, there is a lot more people who drive mostly around town than people driving on the highway. Just think of the millions of people who live in large cities like LA, New York, Seattle, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando etc. etc.
With a 9 to 5 job, they will hit morning commuting traffic and commuting traffic on the way home. Commuting is the biggest contributor to the miles people put on their cars and anyone who lives and works in a large city and uses their car to commute will mostlly drive in stop and go traffic. Only a small percent of the population lives in rural ares. How do you think I'm able to get EPA on my Plaid? While I live rural, I work in Tampa.. Commute traffic is horrible. I average 50 mph on my commute and it's 90% highway.. Many many slow downs.. I've been to SoCal many times and rush hour traffic is absolutely insane. All major Highways move at like 20 mph..
Holy shit.

Your reading comprehension skills are … wow.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 9:21pm   #2785
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Charging is NEVER 1 hour. It's 45 mins from 3% to 98%.
Plus the time you lost getting off of the highway, going to wherever it is that there is a charger,, hooking up, getting back on, etc

Justify it with all of the Taco Bell you want, it doesn’t change the fact that your car adds well over 10% to every trip. The fact that you have actually calculated that you stopped for exactly 2 hours and 1 minute says it all. You have to plan your trips around your car. You eat where your car allows, when it allows it. Your entire life revolves around your car. Every moment, every hotel, every route, every stop, every meal, everything revolves around your f**king car.

My vehicles simply get me where I want to go, when and how I want to get there.
Old Yesterday, 6:13am   #2786
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
Plus the time you lost getting off of the highway, going to wherever it is that there is a charger,, hooking up, getting back on, etc

Justify it with all of the Taco Bell you want, it doesn’t change the fact that your car adds well over 10% to every trip. The fact that you have actually calculated that you stopped for exactly 2 hours and 1 minute says it all. You have to plan your trips around your car. You eat where your car allows, when it allows it. Your entire life revolves around your car. Every moment, every hotel, every route, every stop, every meal, everything revolves around your f**king car.

My vehicles simply get me where I want to go, when and how I want to get there.
Chargers are usually right off the highway and plugging in is 5 seconds on a Tesla. No Credit card needed. Just take the charging cable and plug it in. You don't even open the charging door manually as you only need to push the button on the handle and it opens for you. The car adds NOTHING to my trip as we have always stopped for food and we always stopped 4 times in 1000 miles. We have always had food or at least stopped for a few minutes to battle driver fatigue. We travel like normal human beings. The only time you would save 10% if you just stop for bathroom and gas and have cold snacks in the car or don't eat at all. Not my travel style and not the travel style of most. As I pointed out many times, Restaurants along major highways are PACKED during breakfast, lunch and dinner and not just their drive through.
Most normal people stop for food on road trips. That's why you have so many Restaurants along major routes. They would all go out of business if people wouldn't stop for food on road trips. Only difference to gas is that your food selection is better travelling with a gas car but that's about it. I had no issues finding food I like travelling with our Teslas.
Old Yesterday, 10:16am   #2787
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Chargers are usually right off the highway and plugging in is 5 seconds on a Tesla. No Credit card needed. Just take the charging cable and plug it in. You don't even open the charging door manually as you only need to push the button on the handle and it opens for you. The car adds NOTHING to my trip as we have always stopped for food and we always stopped 4 times in 1000 miles. We have always had food or at least stopped for a few minutes to battle driver fatigue. We travel like normal human beings. The only time you would save 10% if you just stop for bathroom and gas and have cold snacks in the car or don't eat at all. Not my travel style and not the travel style of most. As I pointed out many times, Restaurants along major highways are PACKED during breakfast, lunch and dinner and not just their drive through.
Most normal people stop for food on road trips. That's why you have so many Restaurants along major routes. They would all go out of business if people wouldn't stop for food on road trips. Only difference to gas is that your food selection is better travelling with a gas car but that's about it. I had no issues finding food I like travelling with our Teslas.
First off, you can f**k all the way off with your condescending "normal human beings" bullshit.

You, specifically your views on cars, is a long ass way from representative of "normal". The fact that you think you somehow represent normality is in itself hilarious. 3 sit down meals in fast food restaurants in a day is not normal. Are you really claiming that spending 2 or 3 hours dining-in at McDonalds and Taco Bell in a single day is "NORMAL"?

You have no issues finding food you like... because you like garbage nasty ass fast food. Maybe if you ate something other than that shit and a dozen cans of whatever it is, you would be able to go more than 3 hours without being "fatigued".

With that said, if you actually are "fatigued" after 3 hours in a car, you need to go talk to your doctor. Ironically enough, what actually WOULD add to driver fatigue and risk of accidents is adding multiple hours to your day and pushing your drive time well into the later hours of the night.

No matter how much you don't want to admit it, EVs are simply not as capable. They're not. They may at some point be, but now... they're not. Outside of some of them being faster in a straight f**king line, the cars do absolutely nothing better than even the most basic ICE sedans. Nothing. I'll let you in on a little fact. "NORMAL" people, by an absolutely overwhelming percentage, couldn't possibly give less of a shit about the 1/4 mile time, or how fast a car accelerates. Outside of that, there is absolutely nothing that a Tesla does better than a Camry.

The "trucks"... are an absolute joke. Try to spin it all you want, they're a novelty and absolutely nothing else.

Your zealotry and continuous claims that they are somehow some revolutionary things that is changing the world is absurd. They're cars. Nothing more, nothing less. What is your emotional link to EVs? Why do you feel the need to continuously try to make everybody believe that they are something that they are not?
Old Yesterday, 11:51am   #2788
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
First off, you can f**k all the way off with your condescending "normal human beings" bullshit.

You, specifically your views on cars, is a long ass way from representative of "normal". The fact that you think you somehow represent normality is in itself hilarious. 3 sit down meals in fast food restaurants in a day is not normal. Are you really claiming that spending 2 or 3 hours dining-in at McDonalds and Taco Bell in a single day is "NORMAL"?

You have no issues finding food you like... because you like garbage nasty ass fast food. Maybe if you ate something other than that shit and a dozen cans of whatever it is, you would be able to go more than 3 hours without being "fatigued".

With that said, if you actually are "fatigued" after 3 hours in a car, you need to go talk to your doctor. Ironically enough, what actually WOULD add to driver fatigue and risk of accidents is adding multiple hours to your day and pushing your drive time well into the later hours of the night.

No matter how much you don't want to admit it, EVs are simply not as capable. They're not. They may at some point be, but now... they're not. Outside of some of them being faster in a straight f**king line, the cars do absolutely nothing better than even the most basic ICE sedans. Nothing. I'll let you in on a little fact. "NORMAL" people, by an absolutely overwhelming percentage, couldn't possibly give less of a shit about the 1/4 mile time, or how fast a car accelerates. Outside of that, there is absolutely nothing that a Tesla does better than a Camry.

The "trucks"... are an absolute joke. Try to spin it all you want, they're a novelty and absolutely nothing else.

Your zealotry and continuous claims that they are somehow some revolutionary things that is changing the world is absurd. They're cars. Nothing more, nothing less. What is your emotional link to EVs? Why do you feel the need to continuously try to make everybody believe that they are something that they are not?
You have absolutely no idea. There are a ton of studies on that subject. Over 300k accidents happen EVERY YEAR due to driver fatigue.

https://www.nsc.org/road/safety-topi...20were%20fatal.

Ideally, you should take breaks ever 2 hours

https://www.tdi.texas.gov/pubs/video...verfatigue.pdf

Here is a government sanctioned study on the subject..

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8285183/

Fatigued driving is kind of like drunk driving.. You can drive thousands and thousands of miles drunk or fatigued and nothing happens. This still doesn't make it safe. Your reaction time decreases the longer the segment is that you are driving unless you are superhuman. Your focus will be impaired. Your reaction time will be impaired. Those are facts that have been confirmed by many studies on the subject.
As for food stops, I didn't say exclusively fast food.. There are all types of food joints along major highways and as I said, they are usually packed at breakfast, lunch and dinner times because people stop for food. NOT EVERYONE but most. It's up to you if you want to ignore science when it comes to fatigued driving...
Old Yesterday, 12:30pm   #2789
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
You have absolutely no idea. There are a ton of studies on that subject. Over 300k accidents happen EVERY YEAR due to driver fatigue.

It's up to you if you want to ignore science when it comes to fatigued driving...
Ignore science? You have the reading comprehension skills of a dyslexic poodle.

I never said driving fatigue was not a cause of accidents. Stop lying. Stop twisting. Stop making shit up. (Yea, I am well aware that you are incapable of anything else). I stop plenty of times. Unlike you, I actually eat healthy meals when I travel. And I still do it in significantly less time.

What I did say was that adding hours to an already long and stressful day of traveling adds just as much if not more fucking “fatigue”.

And yes, a piss poor diet of fast food vs decent meals also contributes to energy, alertness and “fatigue”.

As usual, your argument is bullshit.

If you want to ignore science ….
Old Yesterday, 12:36pm   #2790
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Ignore science? You have the reading comprehension skills of a dyslexic poodle.

I never said driving fatigue was not a cause of accidents. Stop lying. Stop twisting. Stop making shit up. (Yea, I am well aware that you are incapable of anything else)

What I did say was that adding hours to an already long and stressful day of traveling adds just as much if not more fucking “fatigue”.

And yes, a piss poor diet of fast food vs decent meals also contributes to energy, alertness and “fatigue”.

If you want to ignore science ….
If you take sufficient breaks. your overall chance of an accident for the same trip is certainly lower. We are not talking about a huge amount of stops.. 3 to 4 stops in 1000 miles is not a lot in any way
Old Yesterday, 12:52pm   #2791
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
If you take sufficient breaks. your overall chance of an accident for the same trip is certainly lower. We are not talking about a huge amount of stops.. 3 to 4 stops in 1000 miles is not a lot in any way
And if you drive later into the night... as you will inevitably do on that same 1000 mile trip that I make... your chance of an accident is greater.

Stopping for an hour (or 59 minutes) at a Taco Bell while your appliance is plugged in outside does not somehow miraculously give you a fresh night's sleep. You want science? There is is. A short rest has a declining benefit as the amount of time since a full night's sleep grows. You do understand that, right? You really think that stopping at Taco Bell suddenly removes fatigue and you are as alert at 11:00 at night after a day of travel as you were at noon? You know. Science.

And yes, your diet does matter for fatigue, alertness, and awareness. Your piss poor diet hurts you a hell of a lot more than me driving for a few hours longer.

Quote:
Because your body relies so heavily on the foods you eat to function, your diet can be the main culprit of your fatigue. These are the kinds of foods and drinks that wreak havoc on your energy levels.

Fried foods
There are few things better than a large order of French fries or a greasy burger from a drive-thru. While they lack nothing in taste, they lack very much in nutrition. The high amounts of fat and low levels of fiber make fried, greasy fast foods hard to digest.

The slow digestion process delays your body’s ability to derive energy from the food and can make you grind to a halt. Similarly, overeating these kinds of foods can fill your tank too quickly and zap your energy storage.

This quick turnaround in your digestive system causes a sharp spike in energy levels and blood sugar followed closely by an even sharper drop.
Yea. Science. You're welcome. So yes, by all means, please tell us more about "fatigue" and how dangerous it is. I can't wait to hear more about it.

https://www.optimalperformancemedici...your%20fatigue.

And in spite of all of that, no. 3 or 4 stops is not a lot. On 1 thing you actually are correct. That's typically what I make on a 1000 mile trip. Funny how that works. The difference is that your stops are stupidly long because your car gives you no choice.

Like I said, I get plenty of rest. I eat better than you do. I still get there faster. I'm sitting at my destination relaxing with a drink in my hand while you're still on the road at the most dangerous times to travel, especially if you're traveling on weekends... you know... like normal human beings do.

Quote:
During the spring and summer months, fatal crashes tended to peak between 8 p.m. and 11:59 p.m.
If you want to ignore science …

https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/motor-ve...d-day-of-week/
Old Yesterday, 1:01pm   #2792
DDSLT5
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 34.2%

Angry old men!!!!!
DDSLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 1:04pm   #2793
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDSLT5 View Post
Angry old men!!!!!
If you're talking about me, I'm neither old nor angry.

This shit is pure entertainment.

This dumbassery is nothing but amusement during the down time sitting on work calls.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 1:59pm   #2794
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 7,663 Times in 3,767 Posts

RedLS1GTO has all of my respect.

He has the staying power of Yadkin or Grandsport----but he's right all the time.
GTOguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 2:01pm   #2795
DDSLT5
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 34.2%

Quote:
If you're talking about me, I'm neither old nor angry.

This shit is pure entertainment.

This dumbassery is nothing but amusement during the down time sitting on work calls.
Excellent. This is what OT is all about! Talking some shit and chewing some gum! Love it!!!!!
DDSLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 2:02pm   #2796
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 18,580 Times in 8,211 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760
Default States Sue to Block EV Mandates

dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 7:41am   #2797
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
And if you drive later into the night... as you will inevitably do on that same 1000 mile trip that I make... your chance of an accident is greater.

Stopping for an hour (or 59 minutes) at a Taco Bell while your appliance is plugged in outside does not somehow miraculously give you a fresh night's sleep. You want science? There is is. A short rest has a declining benefit as the amount of time since a full night's sleep grows. You do understand that, right? You really think that stopping at Taco Bell suddenly removes fatigue and you are as alert at 11:00 at night after a day of travel as you were at noon? You know. Science.

And yes, your diet does matter for fatigue, alertness, and awareness. Your piss poor diet hurts you a hell of a lot more than me driving for a few hours longer.

Yea. Science. You're welcome. So yes, by all means, please tell us more about "fatigue" and how dangerous it is. I can't wait to hear more about it.

https://www.optimalperformancemedici...your%20fatigue.

And in spite of all of that, no. 3 or 4 stops is not a lot. On 1 thing you actually are correct. That's typically what I make on a 1000 mile trip. Funny how that works. The difference is that your stops are stupidly long because your car gives you no choice.

Like I said, I get plenty of rest. I eat better than you do. I still get there faster. I'm sitting at my destination relaxing with a drink in my hand while you're still on the road at the most dangerous times to travel, especially if you're traveling on weekends... you know... like normal human beings do.

If you want to ignore science …

https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/motor-ve...d-day-of-week/
Regardless of diet, those who take breaks travel safer. My diet is just fine. I eat as much healthy good as I eat junk food.. It's all about balance.
FACT is that I stopped about 2 - 2.5 hours or so in 1000 miles for food with gas cars and now I stop about 2 - 2.5 hours with EV's. There is no difference for us in travel time. Only minor difference is that there are less food choices as there are less chargers than gas stations but never had a lack of food options at chargers. The Navigation system will show you all food options at each charger and you pick the one where you like the food options.
Old Today, 10:59am   #2798
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 7,663 Times in 3,767 Posts

Quote:
Regardless of diet, those who take breaks travel safer. My diet is just fine. I eat as much healthy good as I eat junk food.. It's all about balance.
FACT is that I stopped about 2 - 2.5 hours or so in 1000 miles for food with gas cars and now I stop about 2 - 2.5 hours with EV's. There is no difference for us in travel time. Only minor difference is that there are less food choices as there are less chargers than gas stations but never had a lack of food options at chargers. The Navigation system will show you all food options at each charger and you pick the one where you like the food options.
And here we are again, folks. Back at square one. Who else here besides C3 plans their road trips around gas station vending machines and food stops?
GTOguy is online now   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic