Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-06-2018, 5:27pm   #41
Millenium Vette
Barn Stall Owner #101
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 7.6%

Thanked 2,675 Times in 1,539 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6269655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff '79 View Post
I said IRA or 401k which can't be touched until you are 62 without severe penalty. Not an equity funded brokerage account like you said.
You are totally correct though. There is no comparison and I would never suggest to anyone in his position to try trading stocks.
A blind squirrel could have made 10% last year in a Vanguard or Janus 401k fund. It looks like a blind squirrel could do it this year too.
Three years ago was easy money too.
In three years with interest compounding, he could have been up 35%, or $17,500 on his $50k and have 67k in the 401k right now.
That is a very conservative estimate.
The '64 Vette ??? Is it appreciating that much or is it still just a money sucking pig?
BTW... If you go bankrupt, they can't touch your 401k. If you get sued, they can't touch your 401k. YOU can't touch your 401k until you are 62. It is a protected asset.
I'm not saying, I'm just saying, you know what I'm saying?
Yes, I know what you are saying, however NONE of it applies to the OP. For your numbers to work for him, he would have to go back in time and fund an IRA and/or a 401k if he was working for a company. You cannot go dumping 50g's into an IRA all at once. It has to be earned income and the limit is $5,500 per year. But you already know that, so why try and hammer the shit out of a fellow member here who has had some VERY shitty luck when it comes to his health? It comes off like you just want to boast of your investment knowledge.

Millenium Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 5:57pm   #42
Jeff '79
Barn Stall Owner #2112
Fantasy Football Champ '14,'16,'20
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 0%

Thanked 10,607 Times in 6,383 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3043611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenium Vette View Post
Yes, I know what you are saying, however NONE of it applies to the OP. For your numbers to work for him, he would have to go back in time and fund an IRA and/or a 401k if he was working for a company. You cannot go dumping 50g's into an IRA all at once. It has to be earned income and the limit is $5,500 per year. But you already know that, so why try and hammer the shit out of a fellow member here who has had some VERY shitty luck when it comes to his health? It comes off like you just want to boast of your investment knowledge.

GMAFB...

If he started making good decisions for his FAMILY, and stopped acting like a teenager, there wouldn't be a problem, other than his health.
It's never too late to start saving.
My wife had a collapsed lung, lost her business and a ton of income because of it, and we flew out of the dive through things that I hated. Ya, now that's bragging bitch ! We did it, she lived, and now we're back in black.

Let's try and cut a record and live off of the residuals...
Good plan.

If the mofo got a good financial advisor and actually listened to him or her, he would be in a lot better financial shape.
Truth is, he has a half built '64 Vette that isn't worth what he pro-ports it to be worth, another Vette that he'd be lucky to get $12k for, and a junk yard dog.
This BS all started over three years ago.
I said liquidate, move into an apartment and start over with money in the bank, but no.... Keep throwing good money at bad and making infantile decisions.

Really????
Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards and this guy has his mind set on what he wants to do.
Why even ask for suggestions?
That Exploder was a POS 3 years ago.
I'd like to know how much money he spent on it to bring it up to today's standards. Ya, sarcasm ...
Bragging??? No, REALITY.
Jeff '79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 6:40pm   #43
Millenium Vette
Barn Stall Owner #101
GTMS ‘18

Quote:
GMAFB...

If he started making good decisions for his FAMILY, and stopped acting like a teenager, there wouldn't be a problem, other than his health.
It's never too late to start saving.
My wife had a collapsed lung, lost her business and a ton of income because of it, and we flew out of the dive through things that I hated. Ya, now that's bragging bitch ! We did it, she lived, and now we're back in black.

Let's try and cut a record and live off of the residuals...
Good plan.

If the mofo got a good financial advisor and actually listened to him or her, he would be in a lot better financial shape.
Truth is, he has a half built '64 Vette that isn't worth what he pro-ports it to be worth, another Vette that he'd be lucky to get $12k for, and a junk yard dog.
This BS all started over three years ago.
I said liquidate, move into an apartment and start over with money in the bank, but no.... Keep throwing good money at bad and making infantile decisions.

Really????
Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards and this guy has his mind set on what he wants to do.
Why even ask for suggestions?
That Exploder was a POS 3 years ago.
I'd like to know how much money he spent on it to bring it up to today's standards. Ya, sarcasm ...
Bragging??? No, REALITY.
So, you already know the OP doesn't follow your advice, so why the need three years later to belabor the point? As to getting a "good" financial advisor, most of them aren't worth a ****. They just want to sell you their shit, which may or may not be good. And, before you say I don't know shit about shit and am talking out of my ass, I have a little experience with investing and not losing too much money. I just don't brag about it.
Old 08-06-2018, 6:50pm   #44
Jeff '79
Barn Stall Owner #2112
Bantayan Kids '13

Quote:
So, you already know the OP doesn't follow your advice, so why the need three years later to belabor the point? As to getting a "good" financial advisor, most of them aren't worth a ****. They just want to sell you their shit, which may or may not be good. And, before you say I don't know shit about shit and am talking out of my ass, I have a little experience with investing and not losing too much money. I just don't brag about it.
You da man !!

The three PM's from three different people back up my thoughts on the subject.
I don't blame people for not saying what I'm saying in public, as it opens them to just such ridicule.
Personally, IDGAFF.
He asked, I suggested in most certain terms. No beating around the bush, horse sense.
Keep the '64 ??? LOL!!
Ya, that'll work out for the best.

Thank you for straightening me out.
Old 08-06-2018, 6:55pm   #45
Millenium Vette
Barn Stall Owner #101
GTMS ‘18

Quote:
You da man !!

I don't blame people for not saying what I'm saying in public, as it opens them to just such ridicule.
Personally, IDGAFF.
He asked, I suggested in most certain terms. No beating around the bush, horse sense.
Keep the '64 ??? LOL!!

I didn't realize it was up for a vote. I concede. You win.

Old 08-06-2018, 6:57pm   #46
Jeff '79
Barn Stall Owner #2112
Bantayan Kids '13

Quote:

No... You win !!

The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff '79 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2018, 7:06pm   #47
Millenium Vette
Barn Stall Owner #101
GTMS ‘18

Quote:
No... You win !!

You're a good guy Jeff, we just have a different perspective on giving advice.

Old 08-06-2018, 7:09pm   #48
Jeff '79
Barn Stall Owner #2112
Bantayan Kids '13

Quote:

That's all...
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff '79 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2018, 7:45pm   #49
NEED-A-VETTE
Moderatrix
Barn Stall Owner #109
BR Organizer II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '17
Bantayan Kids '13,'15,'17
Activity: 9.0%

Location: Your not a good moderator either, V-A-G. Honestly I find it kind of funny.
Thanked 18,117 Times in 5,352 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9966256

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
No... You win !!

Quote:

Quote:
That's all...
Attached Images

NEED-A-VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NEED-A-VETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2018, 8:53pm   #50
bill_daniels
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,239 Times in 17,149 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE View Post
"Everybody's got a plan until they get hit in the mouf."

Iron Mike Tyson
bill_daniels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:07pm   #51
StaticCling
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 5,971 Times in 2,427 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $46509956

Quote:
Other than a few highly sought after cars, I would totally agree with that.
Unless you have an all original survivor in pristine condition, you are not going to get top buck, as seen on Barrett Jackson auctions lately.
Hell, I could almost afford a really nice survivor and I'm poor.
I remember when I was a little boy, early to mid 1980's (I know that most are older than me here lol), and I was riding my bike through town...Raytown Missouri. There was a Corvette Shop in town, and an exceptionally clean all original 427 AC Cobra was sitting outside with a for sale sign. I actually knew what it was, and rode up on my BMX bike to ask the man how much it was. I remember he said they were asking 75k for it. I just remember thinking holy shit! 75k!

Fast forward a few years later...looking at an early 60's C1 with my father that was for sale...he flipped his shit when the guy was asking like 15k for the car. And it was CLEAN.
StaticCling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 3:44pm   #52
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Activity: 1.1%

Thanked 9,002 Times in 2,776 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $24717333

Jeff your opinion is valued. But you have inaccurate information. My situation is far more complex than you know.

And I drive the car. I can’t have the assets tied up until I’m 62.

I’m going to bet you’ve had a regular job with benefits most of your life. Which is a good idea. But it means you likely have no idea how different life is.

I wasn’t asking for financial advice. Just what to do with a 5000 lb door stop.

Truth is, I know almost nothing about investing. I’ve never worked for anyone but myself. I’d like to learn. My plan is to take the next ten years and make $250-$300k per year. I do know how to read financials and run profitable companies.

Last year I grossed over $200k. I’ve been paying off debt.

There is much you don’t know. For example, due to insurance company cancelling my wife’s policy when she had cancer in 2003 and we lost everything we owned and built over the years.

In 2014 I was hospitalized five times. Twice in the ICU for days on end.

I just worked through 10 days having a tube up my dick and peeing into a bag.

Did any of that that happen to you?

The last 12 years I’ve been on chemo. Can you relate? I almost died in October and have had two surgeries since then. It puts a dent in your billable time.

I will likely need several more very painful surgeries in the next two years. Yet I will never give up on work.

None of this is/was in my control. This is why you sound like a dick to some people. You are basing your advice on YOUR life.

I like frank honest advice. From people who have a complete understanding of the issues. I don’t give clients advice until I completely understand their business including financials. I’m not sure you are in a position to give sound advice.

I’ve also never asked anyone here for anything other than advice and to vent. Some members have chosen to help in small ways on their own. I am independent to a fault.

I resent your insinuation that I’m a pathetic idiot on the verge of living on the street. You are off base.

I guarantee you have no idea how life is when you rack up $60k PER YEAR in out of pocket costs due to issues over which you have no control.

In other words I have to make $60k just to get to zero. I get up everyday and make it happen. I’m working right now at the cancer center after being up since 3am from pain.

The question is, does the car give me more joy than paying just one year of medical bills with 10-15 years more to go? That is a decision only I can make.

There is very little joy in my life.

While you seem intent on judging me, I’ll give you a pass because almost nobody can understand, nor can they help.

You have highjacked this thread. If I start a “what should I do with my finances” I’ll be sure to PM you with a link.out of curiosity if I was fighting cancer, would you so obnoxious?
SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnikPlosskin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 4:03pm   #53
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93

Forgot to mention I also have to burn a half day of time every two weeks for IV fluids and twice last year iron infusions every day for two weeks (3 hours each). I try to work during those times too.

The big thing Jeff doesn’t get is that I have no other choices. I can’t work a normal job because of my disability. I can’t stop working because I can’t buy insurance so I can’t get the drug I need to stay alive. ($25k per dose every six weeks).

Again, I appreciate that you care but you have no idea of the circumstances. Your ideas are sound but extraordinarily simplistic.

I gave up a long time ago expecting anyone to understand. Just like I don’t understand what it’s like to be you.
Old 08-08-2018, 4:12pm   #54
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93

Quote:
You da man !!

Personally, IDGAFF.
Keep the '64 ??? LOL!!

Also, I didn’t say I was set on keeping the 64. Go back and read what I posted. I will sell it when needed.
Old 08-08-2018, 4:19pm   #55
MrPeabody
A Real Barner

Thanked 12,309 Times in 5,942 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2214590

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin View Post
Jeff your opinion is valued. But you have inaccurate information. My situation is far more complex than you know.

And I drive the car. I can’t have the assets tied up until I’m 62.

I’m going to bet you’ve had a regular job with benefits most of your life. Which is a good idea. But it means you likely have no idea how different life is.

I wasn’t asking for financial advice. Just what to do with a 5000 lb door stop.

Truth is, I know almost nothing about investing. I’ve never worked for anyone but myself. I’d like to learn. My plan is to take the next ten years and make $250-$300k per year. I do know how to read financials and run profitable companies.

Last year I grossed over $200k. I’ve been paying off debt.

There is much you don’t know. For example, due to insurance company cancelling my wife’s policy when she had cancer in 2003 and we lost everything we owned and built over the years.

In 2014 I was hospitalized five times. Twice in the ICU for days on end.

I just worked through 10 days having a tube up my dick and peeing into a bag.

Did any of that that happen to you?

The last 12 years I’ve been on chemo. Can you relate? I almost died in October and have had two surgeries since then. It puts a dent in your billable time.

I will likely need several more very painful surgeries in the next two years. Yet I will never give up on work.

None of this is/was in my control. This is why you sound like a dick to some people. You are basing your advice on YOUR life.

I like frank honest advice. From people who have a complete understanding of the issues. I don’t give clients advice until I completely understand their business including financials. I’m not sure you are in a position to give sound advice.

I’ve also never asked anyone here for anything other than advice and to vent. Some members have chosen to help in small ways on their own. I am independent to a fault.

I resent your insinuation that I’m a pathetic idiot on the verge of living on the street. You are off base.

I guarantee you have no idea how life is when you rack up $60k PER YEAR in out of pocket costs due to issues over which you have no control.

In other words I have to make $60k just to get to zero. I get up everyday and make it happen. I’m working right now at the cancer center after being up since 3am from pain.

While you seem intent on judging me, I’ll give you a pass because almost nobody can understand, nor can they help.

You have highjacked this thread. If I start a “what should I do with my finances” I’ll be sure to PM you with a link.out of curiosity if I was fighting cancer, would you so obnoxious?
It's like they say, before you criticize another man, walk a mile in his shoes.
Then, even if you're wrong, you'll be a mile away from him and you'll have his shoes.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrPeabody For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 5:27pm   #56
Jeff '79
Barn Stall Owner #2112
Bantayan Kids '13

Quote:
Forgot to mention I also have to burn a half day of time every two weeks for IV fluids and twice last year iron infusions every day for two weeks (3 hours each). I try to work during those times too.

The big thing Jeff doesn’t get is that I have no other choices. I can’t work a normal job because of my disability. I can’t stop working because I can’t buy insurance so I can’t get the drug I need to stay alive. ($25k per dose every six weeks).

Again, I appreciate that you care but you have no idea of the circumstances. Your ideas are sound but extraordinarily simplistic.

I gave up a long time ago expecting anyone to understand. Just like I don’t understand what it’s like to be you.

Get a disability lawyer and go on 100% disability and collect SSI.
Odds are that your meds will be covered once granted disability.
Why have you not done this already?
Does your wife work?
When we were broke, my wife worked in the deli of a grocery store, and as a salesperson at an Apple store. The grocery store had health benes, although I did too at my job. My job was eliminated, but I was the only one of 45 guys that they kept, at a pay cut. My wife is now an administrator at the most profitable dentist conglomerate in WNY... From collapsed lung and near death to that...
My point?
It can be done. You just need to do it.
It was tough times, but we got through.
Old 08-08-2018, 6:21pm   #57
Jeff '79
Barn Stall Owner #2112
Bantayan Kids '13

Quote:
Also, I didn’t say I was set on keeping the 64. Go back and read what I posted. I will sell it when needed.
Sell it and make money off of the money. Think IRA or 401k, although you probably can't do a 401k unless you had a job where you already have one.
That's all I'm saying.
I know that it is part of your identity, but like I said before, desperate times call for desperate measures.
Old 08-09-2018, 7:41pm   #58
markids77
A Real Barner
Activity: 13.7%

Thanked 3,847 Times in 2,216 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1000483

About the car... I would now put it in the front yard with a "FREE" sign in the windshield. I bet it won't sit there 24 hours. Clean it out thoroughly (except leave the keys in) to include the title so whoever drags it home cannot register it back in your name, fail to pay the insurance premium and have the credit vultures punishing you for your good deed. It will be gone and you can focus on whatever needs to come next.
markids77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 8:31pm   #59
MrPeabody
A Real Barner

Thanked 12,309 Times in 5,942 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2214590

Quote:
Originally Posted by markids77 View Post
About the car... I would now put it in the front yard with a "FREE" sign in the windshield. I bet it won't sit there 24 hours. Clean it out thoroughly (except leave the keys in) to include the title so whoever drags it home cannot register it back in your name, fail to pay the insurance premium and have the credit vultures punishing you for your good deed. It will be gone and you can focus on whatever needs to come next.
I don't know about Texas, but that wouldn't work in my state. We have to fill out paperwork with the DMV releasing our liability in the vehicle when we sell it. That paperwork included information about the buyer. Don't do the paperwork and you are still responsible for the vehicle.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrPeabody For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2018, 9:13pm   #60
bill_daniels
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,239 Times in 17,149 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeabody View Post
I don't know about Texas, but that wouldn't work in my state. We have to fill out paperwork with the DMV releasing our liability in the vehicle when we sell it. That paperwork included information about the buyer. Don't do the paperwork and you are still responsible for the vehicle.
Similar in Texas. Until you get the car out of your name, it's potentially your problem. We have a big problem with illegals buying cash cars and then never changing the registration, leaving the car in the previous owner's name, to avoid paying the sales tax, and other reasons.

There are two ways to address this. One, you can fill out a form to notify the state the car no longer belongs to you, indicating the new buyer's name. The second, which is what I do, is insist that the title transfer happen at the dmv. I want to personally WATCH the buyer register the car I just sold him. If a buyer can't agree to those terms, I won't sell to that person.

There's a lot of potential headache and liability here. Your car could be used in a crime, the buyer could run over a family of 6, commit a hit and run, run toll booths, pick up parking tickets, and other things that will come back on you and force you to have to play defense. Easier to just do it right the first time.
bill_daniels is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bill_daniels For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic