Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-03-2018, 7:51am   #21
polarbear
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,184 Times in 568 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1013348

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin View Post
The truck is seeing cascading failures. No more money going in. Trans was rebuilt seven years ago for almost $3k. Costs about $700 to swap. Used is about $1000 and you still have Fords shitty design. This trans is infamous for failure. I’m surprised it went 100K from the factory.

Nope. Truck is done for.
A few years ago, when we were funding college and needed a cheap driver, a Grand Marquis put down 210,000 relatively trouble-free miles. It's still in service, getting a family to work every day that needed a cheap driver.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...637641997.html

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/...651725020.html
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 9:13am   #22
04 commemorative
A Real Barner
Activity: 36.3%

Thanked 10,999 Times in 5,131 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1007997

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
Donate it and take the tax deduction. Not sure if you need an appraisal or if you can just take low BB.
04 commemorative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 9:28am   #23
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64
Activity: 34.6%

Thanked 10,155 Times in 4,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11380138

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
Donate it and take the tax deduction. Not sure if you need an appraisal or if you can just take low BB.
With the new tax law, the standard deduction is like $12k. Not sure that would help on taxes much unless he's got some other donations/expenses to claim.
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:08am   #24
VetteBoy1979
Barn Raising II
Bantayan Kids '17
NCM Supporter '19
Activity: 2.6%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $269293

With so many new parts a used trans isn't a bad idea. ~$1,000 into it, and that should keep it running at least another year? $1,000/12 = $83 a month. What kind of new car can you get for $83 a month?
VetteBoy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 9:19pm   #25
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Activity: 2.5%

Thanked 9,005 Times in 2,777 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $24717333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff '79 View Post
Yep ....
Why ask for advice when you don't take it???
Call up your last thread about this and see who gave the sound advice.
You just don't listen.
What to do with it?
Call a salvation yard and take what they give you.
Who are you talking to? I assume me, not PolarBear.

Why the ****ing attitude? If someone doesn’t take your advice you think a “I told you so”victory lap is helpful? Note how everyone else had actual ideas.

Walk in my shoes. Oh, wait. You can’t.

I bet life is a bit easier when you don’t have regular unplanned surgeries that disrupt your income. I’m sure it’s awesome to just be able to decide “time to get a new car” and not have to gamble on an old vehicle just to get by. I would imagine it’s awesome to wake up and feel good to face a day of possibilities where you can get to some of those hobbies and projects you’ve been meaning to do.

Let me know what that’s like because I wouldn’t know. Then, feel free to wallow in your “I sure told that guy what’s what” self righteous bullshit.

I just started a thread to ask what people think I should do with an unmoving vehicle. Nothing more nothing less.

Luckily I don’t expect anyone to understand what it’s like to live with such a cruel disease amd how dramatically it alters one’s life. So, no problem.

As far as the truck, I’ve made no progress. Too much pain the last two or three days. Haven’t been able to do much. Took a drive to Bass Pro to pick up some .45 JHPs and quickly learned it was too soon to go walking around and pushing a clutch.
SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnikPlosskin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2018, 6:16am   #26
ToolMaker
Barn Stall Owner #97
Activity: 1.4%

Thanked 1,023 Times in 557 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $56470018

https://www.kars4kids.org

This is the first place I thought of relating to donation.
I have no personal experience.
Sorry for your bad luck with this car.
ToolMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 7:14am   #27
MEANZ06
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.8%

Thanked 3,864 Times in 1,754 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4635916

Quote:

Why the ****ing attitude? If someone doesn’t take your advice you think a “I told you so”victory lap is helpful? Note how everyone else had actual ideas.

I bet life is a bit easier when you don’t have regular unplanned surgeries that disrupt your income. I’m sure it’s awesome to just be able to decide “time to get a new car” and not have to gamble on an old vehicle just to get by. I would imagine it’s awesome to wake up and feel good to face a day of possibilities where you can get to some of those hobbies and projects you’ve been meaning to do.

Let me know what that’s like because I wouldn’t know. Then, feel free to wallow in your “I sure told that guy what’s what” self righteous bullshit.

I just started a thread to ask what people think I should do with an unmoving vehicle. Nothing more nothing less.

Luckily I don’t expect anyone to understand what it’s like to live with such a cruel disease amd how dramatically it alters one’s life. So, no problem.

As far as the truck, I’ve made no progress. Too much pain the last two or three days. Haven’t been able to do much. Took a drive to Bass Pro to pick up some .45 JHPs and quickly learned it was too soon to go walking around and pushing a clutch.
Angry much?
MEANZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 7:25am   #28
Jeff '79
Barn Stall Owner #2112
Fantasy Football Champ '14,'16,'20
Bantayan Kids '13

Thanked 10,607 Times in 6,383 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3043611

Quote:

Liz and I have been in your financial position before and dug out by making strategic moves to do so.
Some were not very pleasant, but we not only dug our family out of a $77k debt, but maintained our household and, not so much ,lifestyle that we were accustomed to..
Desperate times call for desperate measures.
You, my friend have an easy way out, but refuse to change your lifestyle.
The only pity I have for you is for your failing health.
I feel total pity for your family though.
I sincerely do hope that your health improves .

My suggestions are based on real life experience, not bragging or gloating like you infer.
It just really pisses me off to see you posting that you have money problems, yet you have $50k - $60k in assets that can be liquidated, and the problem goes away.
It also galls me to see someone not have a retirement nest egg.
If you are planning on living on only SSI, have fun with that.
There is still time to fund an IRA or 401k to stabilize you and your wife's retirement future.
Man, get with reality.
You want me to candy coat your situation?
What suggestions could I give that does that?
I stand by my suggestions.
Jeff '79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 9:21am   #29
polarbear
A Real Barner

Thanked 1,184 Times in 568 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1013348
bilmem

Quote:
Liz and I have been in your financial position before and dug out by making strategic moves to do so.
Some were not very pleasant, but we not only dug our family out of a $77k debt, but maintained our household and, not so much ,lifestyle that we were accustomed to..

My suggestions are based on real life experience, not bragging or gloating like you infer.
It just really pisses me off to see you posting that you have money problems, yet you have $50k - $60k in assets that can be liquidated, and the problem goes away.
There is still time to fund an IRA or 401k to stabilize you and your wife's retirement future.
Man, get with reality.
Move over- we've been there too. And I'm living with a medical diagnosis that's really rearranged our priorities. It's completely different to be confronted with mortality in generic terms, vs. you, here, and now. I don't want or need sympathy, it is what it is. But the solution for me was first, to dot i's and cross t's on the legal and financial front. I can't change what it is, but I can ensure the LT outcome for the wife and kids. That lifted a huge load as well- when the "what if's" are taken care of, you can concentrate on living.

Our suggestions were meant in the best spirit of "been there, done that, and here's what worked for us."
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polarbear For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2018, 9:48am   #30
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,412 Times in 17,225 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

I'll just comment that I remember Aerovette getting a little tough love advice here.

Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2018, 3:59pm   #31
StaticCling
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 5,971 Times in 2,427 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $46509956

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolMaker View Post
https://www.kars4kids.org

This is the first place I thought of relating to donation.
I have no personal experience.
Sorry for your bad luck with this car.
kars4kids got into trouble with the .gov for deceptive business practices. They aren't what they appear to be evidently.
StaticCling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:36pm   #32
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Activity: 2.5%

Thanked 9,005 Times in 2,777 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $24717333

Quote:

Man, get with reality.
Ah, I see where you are going. Sell the 64.

You still don’t understand. This is a long game. Your wish that my health improves, while appreciated, shows you can’t fathom the situation.

My health won’t improve. It’s a progressive, incurable disease. No complaints. It is what it is.

There will be a time when the 64 goes. That time is not here yet. In fact, as I said in the afore mentioned thread, things are on the upswing with the business and the car situation is manageable. We don’t mind driving old cars.

In my situation, you don’t go full retard until there are no options left. That car is a savings account for when there are no options.

Right now, I have options.

I find it odd you seem to think I’m representing the situation as some sort of huge tipping point. It’s not.

There will be one someday. We can put a pretty face on things all we want but this disease is a spiral downward both in terms of quality of life and financial. It’s a tragedy of science really. Everyone wishes it wasn’t so, but that’s what the deal is.

At some point, my wife will need the proceeds from the car. Or we will see abundance for the next decade and get caught up. Or not.

What is certain is that I will keep fighting and keep getting knocked down. The medical bills will pile up, year after year. There will be more surgeries with increasing frequency. My wife and I will legally split to protect her assets.

I’ll either die from septicemia or end it myself. In the meantime, I’ll decide how to best handle my resources. I’ve been self employed for almost 30 years. I’m good at this stuff.

I assure you. That car is gone when the time comes. Our only disagreement is when.

My current situation is just one more logistical puzzle to solve. One more rabbit out of the hat. One foot in front of the other.

Like I said, it’s really hard, if not impossible to understand what it’s like to have your body slowly deteriorate. To get your head around what it means that modern science cant keep up. The disease always wins.

I know it doesn’t show when I perform but that’s just a couple hours where I can forget and the adrenaline keeps the pain at bay until later in the night. It’s a facade. (One I’m pretty good at....)

Note: none of this is. “Poor me” or “I’m the only one”. It’s just fact. I got over it long ago.

As long as I can go to bed each night and say honestly to myself “I did my best today” I’m good with it.

Thanks for your ranting. I know it’s because you care. Give or take a few rough weeks lately, we good.

I need to finish a record.
SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 6:10am   #33
Jeff '79
Barn Stall Owner #2112
Bantayan Kids '13

Hey...., you asked...

I can see keeping your '64 if it is appreciating by at least 10% / yr,.
My 401k made 24% last year and I'm up 16% this year so far.
That's 40% in 2 years.....
It seems that you keep spending money on the '64 when you could be making money on it..
Same as the Exploder. Good money chasing bad.
I dunno man... I guess that we see things differently.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:15am   #34
Black94lt1
Barn Stall Owner #13
Barn Raising II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14,'16,'17,'19,'20
Bantayan Kids '13,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18

Thanked 2,641 Times in 1,956 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $425244

Snik, it may be obvious since you mention the idea of splitting to protect your wife’s assets, make sure you have those details in place in time, I’d hate to see your plans backfire due to things taking a turn earlier than expected
Black94lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:50am   #35
Sea Six
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13

Thanked 13,008 Times in 7,318 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $602908

Pics of wife's assets?

Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sea Six For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2018, 12:32pm   #36
Millenium Vette
Barn Stall Owner #101
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 7.9%

Thanked 2,682 Times in 1,544 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6269655

Quote:
Hey...., you asked...

I can see keeping your '64 if it is appreciating by at least 10% / yr,.
My 401k made 24% last year and I'm up 16% this year so far.
That's 40% in 2 years....
It seems that you keep spending money on the '64 when you could be making money on it..
Same as the Exploder. Good money chasing bad.
I dunno man... I guess that we see things differently.
Your results, while great, have NO bearing on what the OP could expect if he jumped in with the proceeds from the '64 today. For one, you cannot compare a 401k or IRA with a standard brokerage account. If you are lucky and make money there are tax consequences. On the other hand, you can lose and still owe the tax man.

Another thing is whether or not one can stomach a loss when buying a stock. I often buy and the stock goes down a few points over the next month or two. Fortunately when I was new to investing I trusted my gut and didn't panic sell.

My opinion only, but I think the OP is doing the right thing by not selling the '64. You cannot spend a car.

Millenium Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 2:00pm   #37
Sea Six
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13

Thanked 13,008 Times in 7,318 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $602908

Quote:

Man, get with reality.
Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 4:44pm   #38
Jeff '79
Barn Stall Owner #2112
Bantayan Kids '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenium Vette View Post
Your results, while great, have NO bearing on what the OP could expect if he jumped in with the proceeds from the '64 today. For one, you cannot compare a 401k or IRA with a standard brokerage account. If you are lucky and make money there are tax consequences. On the other hand, you can lose and still owe the tax man.

Another thing is whether or not one can stomach a loss when buying a stock. I often buy and the stock goes down a few points over the next month or two. Fortunately when I was new to investing I trusted my gut and didn't panic sell.

My opinion only, but I think the OP is doing the right thing by not selling the '64. You cannot spend a car.

I said IRA or 401k which can't be touched until you are 62 without severe penalty. Not an equity funded brokerage account like you said.
You are totally correct though. There is no comparison and I would never suggest to anyone in his position to try trading stocks.
A blind squirrel could have made 10% last year in a Vanguard or Janus 401k fund. It looks like a blind squirrel could do it this year too.
Three years ago was easy money too.
In three years with interest compounding, he could have been up 35%, or $17,500 on his $50k and have 67k in the 401k right now.
That is a very conservative estimate.
The '64 Vette ??? Is it appreciating that much or is it still just a money sucking pig?
BTW... If you go bankrupt, they can't touch your 401k. If you get sued, they can't touch your 401k. YOU can't touch your 401k until you are 62. It is a protected asset.
I'm not saying, I'm just saying, you know what I'm saying?
Old 08-06-2018, 5:13pm   #39
StaticCling
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 5,971 Times in 2,427 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $46509956

I believe that the old car market has peaked and things are going to at least stabilize or perhaps go down. The people that identify with and can actually afford those cars are growing old and dying. The current generation could give two shits about them. Personally, I think the market is artificially inflated and the cars just aren't worth what people are asking, and getting, for them.
StaticCling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 5:20pm   #40
Jeff '79
Barn Stall Owner #2112
Bantayan Kids '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
I believe that the old car market has peaked and things are going to at least stabilize or perhaps go down. The people that identify with and can actually afford those cars are growing old and dying. The current generation could give two shits about them. Personally, I think the market is artificially inflated and the cars just aren't worth what people are asking, and getting, for them.
Other than a few highly sought after cars, I would totally agree with that.
Unless you have an all original survivor in pristine condition, you are not going to get top buck, as seen on Barrett Jackson auctions lately.
Hell, I could almost afford a really nice survivor and I'm poor.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic