Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2015, 10:17pm   #1
Frizzle
Barn Stall Owner #51
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8592
Default Windows... White-Power?

White power to the courtesy phone.

Being in the new house now for 7 months, and the windows are POS vinyl replacement windows which leak.

I've attempted to seal them off as best I could with 3/8" backer board and white electrical tape around the seals. However Its still drafty as a mofo. Mostly coming from the lack of insulation or sealing around the window.

Now I had my dad look into windows for me, and he came back with pricing for High end Anderson windows, like they have. They are just too expensive ($350 per) and I couldn't justify the price point for the type of house/area i currently live. I also hope to flip the house and make some money for hopefully my final home purchase before down sizing.

So, I am looking into replacing the windows but I don't want to install $150 cheapos from the box stores. I want them to last and not fall apart after 5 years.

I am really curious to know what White-Power has to say since, this is more of his forte.
Frizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:57pm   #2
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,470 Times in 10,626 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

You will not buy a quality window for 150 bux.

No. I'm not Mr Whitepower. But I have a little bit of experience in this area.
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:06pm   #3
ZipZap
Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team
Activity: 16.9%

Location: A sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory
Thanked 9,213 Times in 4,380 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
White power to the courtesy phone.

Being in the new house now for 7 months, and the windows are POS vinyl replacement windows which leak.

I've attempted to seal them off as best I could with 3/8" backer board and white electrical tape around the seals. However Its still drafty as a mofo. Mostly coming from the lack of insulation or sealing around the window.

Now I had my dad look into windows for me, and he came back with pricing for High end Anderson windows, like they have. They are just too expensive ($350 per) and I couldn't justify the price point for the type of house/area i currently live. I also hope to flip the house and make some money for hopefully my final home purchase before down sizing.

So, I am looking into replacing the windows but I don't want to install $150 cheapos from the box stores. I want them to last and not fall apart after 5 years.

I am really curious to know what White-Power has to say since, this is more of his forte.
"POS" vinyl windows? Are you sure? There are many high end vinyl windows, that if installed incorrectly, will leak air and/or water. Lars is right that to get a reliable window in the $150 range will be rough. Have you thought about fixing the installation, or are they leaking through the window itself?
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:18pm   #4
Frizzle
Barn Stall Owner #51
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8592

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
You will not buy a quality window for 150 bux.

No. I'm not Mr Whitepower. But I have a little bit of experience in this area.
Well aware that $150 windows are crap. I've helped install many windows as a kid through my young adult years. I won't be buying 400 series Anderson windows or Marvins. I only asked for White Power as he has experience flipping homes and might give me some ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
"POS" vinyl windows? Are you sure? There are many high end vinyl windows, that if installed incorrectly, will leak air and/or water. Lars is right that to get a reliable window in the $150 range will be rough. Have you thought about fixing the installation, or are they leaking through the window itself?
Very sure most vinyl windows are crap. I was looking in the $200-$250 price range. Anderson 400's (wood window with vinyl exterior coating) start at the mid 300s. Which is way too expensive for the 1,052 Square foot twin that is would be worth 200K max when

The windows are shot...House was originally built in 1945. The original wood windows are gone and vinyl replacement windows look like they were $150 windows to begin with and installed by a handyman who did a very poor job between how he framed in the windows to fit and tried to cover it up with piss poor break metal work.

I also don't want to pay/have some window installers come in and do the work. Why pay when my father and I can do the work. My father has been doing carpentry work for 40+ years and I've spent many a weekend helping him do side work.

Don't get me started on the electrical wiring in this house (in mid process of re-wiring) as well as other things. Previous owner didn't have enough cash to do things right and every thing is hacked in/done on the super cheap.
Frizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:42pm   #5
Craig
Bantayan Kids '13,'15
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 3,555 Times in 1,954 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1037769

I did a sash replacment system, easy to do. I think it was called Zap-Pak, by Jeld-Win. Twelve years ago, still looks new. About $250 per window, depending on size.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic