Old 08-07-2011, 6:07pm   #1
Exotix
Banned
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $0
Default 'Markets in Turmoil'

CNBC to Air 'Markets in Turmoil' Special as Asian Markets Open Sunday

Tonight

CNBC to Air 'Markets in Turmoil' Special as Asian Markets Open Sunday - CNBC US - News on News

Following a tumultuous week on Wall Street, Standard and Poor's downgraded the US credit rating to AA+ late on Friday.

UPDATE ~ CNBC have announced that the show will now air between 8pm and 10pm ET, rather than the 9pm ET start time as previously reported.

The first time that the markets will get to react to the news will be late on Sunday, when the markets in Asia open for trading.

CNBC will be airing a live special at 8pm ET anchored by Maria Bartiromo and Bill Griffeth, looking at the week ahead with analysis and opinion from a panel of experts, and also live reports from Europe where concerns of a spreading debt crisis contributed to last week's downward movement in world markets.

The show will also feature live reports from Asia where the markets will be into their first few hours of trading, and will be the first markets to react to the US sovereign credit downgrade.

Exotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 6:24pm   #2
ChasC5
Banned

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $37320

Trust me, if it's the truth the Cons will deny it and blame the evil Liberal Media is after them.
ChasC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 7:35pm   #3
Exotix
Banned

S & P Downgrader Never Studied Economics, has a Master’s In English Lit.

John Chambers Of S&P Didn't Study Economics | Mogulite

Standard & Poor’s has taken quite a hit for its downgrading of the U.S. credit this week.

First, there was the apparent $2 trillion miscalculation, then Warren Buffett said the downgrading was a ridiculous measure, and talking heads have cried in outrage.

Here’s one thing that doesn’t help: the face of S&P is a liberal arts guy with a masters in English literature, who never studied economics.

The New York Post notes that John Chambers, managing director at S&P who’s been a public face for the agency, is a graduate of the liberal arts-focused Grinnell College who then got an English master’s at Columbia. Impressive, but not quite your usual Wharton undergrad/Harvard Business School pedigree.

Gasp!

Chambers could continue to get more heat in the coming weeks and months. Appearing this morning on ABC’s This Week, Chambers said there’s a 1 in 3 chance that S&P will downgrade the U.S. credit rating even further, in the next 6 months to 2 years.

Some have argued that the three leading credit agencies are given an unfair amount of power.
The ratings they dole out tend to be taken as fact, which can drive markets and cause panic.

On another note, if you’re a liberal arts type looking to become a Ruler of the Universe, there’s hope.

John Chambers

Old 08-07-2011, 7:50pm   #4
BuckyThreadkiller
Barn Stall Owner #12
Barn Raising I
NCM Supporter '11, '12

Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,065 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $168047

Are two complaining about the downgrade or thinking it was deserved?
BuckyThreadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 7:56pm   #5
Exotix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller View Post
Are two complaining about the downgrade or thinking it was deserved?
I'm gonna reserve judgment until I scrutinize Credit Agency Soverign Debt Rating methodology which apparently was altered back with Bush that allowed for over-rating of Bundled Securiites (allowing for derivatives they weren't regulated) and under-estimating risk and this was the genesis of the 2008 economic collapse and great depression ... and how this had such a destructive impact on an economy that essentially became inert .. (in it's fail-safe systems since 1929)
Old 08-07-2011, 8:12pm   #6
Exotix
Banned

Trump giving his opinions ... blaming Obama for allowing Corps. and Big Oil to run amok ... and the whole outsourcing thing (how old was Obama when that started to happen ? ... about 9 ? )

Old 08-07-2011, 8:16pm   #7
BuckyThreadkiller
Barn Stall Owner #12
Barn Raising I
NCM Supporter '11, '12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotix View Post
I'm gonna reserve judgment until I scrutinize Credit Agency Soverign Debt Rating methodology which apparently was altered back with Bush that allowed for over-rating of Bundled Securiites (allowing for derivatives they weren't regulated) and under-estimating risk and this was the genesis of the 2008 economic collapse and great depression ... and how this had such a destructive impact on an economy that essentially became inert .. (in it's fail-safe systems since 1929)
How is scrutinizing that going to influence your opinion?

I believe if you go back far enough - Maybe under Bush 41, you'll find some serious deregulating of various elements of the banking industry that incubated the largess of the 90's and first decade of this century. I believe Phil Gramm was one of those culprits.

Our system has created a perfect storm for this current disaster - Republicans who want smaller government and reduced regulation and Democrats who want wider spending, easier credit for low-income households and expanded social programs.

Between the two, the whole mess was ripe for abuse from top, bottom and both sides.
Old 08-07-2011, 8:25pm   #8
Exotix
Banned

Quote:

Our system has created a perfect storm for this current disaster -

Republicans who want smaller government and reduced regulation

Bush inherited a $5-6 Trillion deficit from Clinton and ballooned it to $11 Trillion in 8 years then crashes the economy and sends America into the Great Depression ... then signs Spending program Stimulus Bills for about another $2 Trillion ...

Old 08-07-2011, 8:39pm   #9
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Bush inherited a $5-6 Trillion deficit from Clinton and ballooned it to $11 Trillion in 8 years then crashes the economy and sends America into the Great Depression ... then signs Spending program Stimulus Bills for about another $2 Trillion ...

The last thing you want to do is break it down to simple addition.
Old 08-07-2011, 8:46pm   #10
Exotix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasC5 View Post
The last thing you want to do is break it down to simple addition.
How much interest is on $5 Trillion as opposed to say $11 Trillion ... lemme guess, did S & P get it's rating from ...

Old 08-07-2011, 9:08pm   #11
BuckyThreadkiller
Barn Stall Owner #12
Barn Raising I
NCM Supporter '11, '12

Quote:

Think about what all Bush had to fund tho - Clinton had a HUGE dot com ballon economy and still left a 6 trillion deficit. Bush then gets slammed with that bust, 9/11 and all the resulting war expenditures. Whether Iraq was good politically is highly questionable, but economically we couldn't afford it.

I won't give Bush a pass on the deficits he created, but there was legitimate warfare in Afghanistan and the expansion of Homeland Security ate up a lot of it.

The simple fact is we haven't balanced a budget in decades and it has to become a priority.
Old 08-08-2011, 6:35am   #12
Exotix
Banned

Quote:
Think about what all Bush had to fund tho - Clinton had a HUGE dot com ballon economy and still left a 6 trillion deficit. Bush then gets slammed with that bust, 9/11 and all the resulting war expenditures. Whether Iraq was good politically is highly questionable, but economically we couldn't afford it.

I won't give Bush a pass on the deficits he created, but there was legitimate warfare in Afghanistan and the expansion of Homeland Security ate up a lot of it.

The simple fact is we haven't balanced a budget in decades and it has to become a priority.
Bush said the Bush Tax Cuts were to be the great cure-all ... he basically said this at the 2000 RNC ... it was to pay off the debt and create employment ... but it was simply political in bashing Clinton and Gore to get himself elected and he still had to rely on voter fraud to get himself elected ..

So now America has to create 5 million new high-paying jobs per year just to maintain *economic solvent* ... good luck with that as we send the future overseas ...

Last edited by Exotix; 08-08-2011 at 6:45am.
Old 08-08-2011, 6:52am   #13
ChasC5
Banned

Isn't funny how when I brought up the Market gains over the last two (2) years, you'd never get so much as a peep out of these guys. But let the market make any turns ... and BAM.

Kinda reminds me of the Gas debate ... hear anything from them lately?
Old 08-08-2011, 6:58am   #14
Exotix
Banned

Feels like ‘Armageddon’: Global stock markets fall after US downgrade.
Wall Street set for sharp drop; ‘Investors are concerned about a rising risk of global recession,’ analyst says.

Today

Feels like ?Armageddon?: World markets fall - Business - World business - msnbc.com

Wall Street is set to plunge at Monday’s open after rating agency Standard & Poor’s cut the top-tier AAA credit rating of the United States, rattling already jittery investors.

The agency’s move came late Friday after a wild week for U.S. stocks — the worst in more than two years — as lingering concerns about sluggish economic growth and heavy public debt loads in developed economies dented investor sentiment.

U.S. stock index futures point to a decline of over 200 points on the Dow Jones industrial average at the start of trading Monday.

Global stock markets sank again Monday as worries about the downgrade of U.S. debt outweighed relief at a European Central Bank pledge to buy up Italian and Spanish bonds to help the two countries avoid devastating defaults.

(Read continues in Link)

Video inside

Old 08-08-2011, 7:05am   #15
Exotix
Banned

Quote:
Isn't funny how when I brought up the Market gains over the last two (2) years, you'd never get so much as a peep out of these guys. But let the market make any turns ... and BAM.

Kinda reminds me of the Gas debate ... hear anything from them lately?
You're dealing with people who aren't normal ... for instance they simply say Obama is responsible for the global slowdown by using such slang as tar baby instead of economic quagmire (you're starting to hear such terms as Procyclicals/countercyclicals I mentioned the other day and they say WTH are you talking about ?) to extricate themselves from blame ... sad.

Old 08-08-2011, 7:21am   #16
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
You're dealing with people who aren't normal ... for instance they simply say Obama is responsible for the global slowdown by using such slang as tar baby instead of economic quagmire (you're starting to hear such terms as Procyclicals/countercyclicals I mentioned the other day and they say WTH are you talking about ?) to extricate themselves from blame ... sad.

I bet you won't hear any of them say the words "Normal Fluctuations" now that the market is going down ... only when it goes up; and it's been going up since March 8th 2009 and that's all they have been saying since then.
Old 08-08-2011, 7:23am   #17
Exotix
Banned

Quote:
I bet you won't hear any of them say the words "Normal Fluctuations" now that the market is going down ... only when it goes up; and it's been going up since March 8th 2009 and that's all they have been saying since then.
It's called *Downgrading Democracy* ... now we're see'ng the downgrading of wealthy portfolios ... which can never be confused with podunk libtard portfolios ... you can only run on a platform of name-calling and blame until it runs out and then you start eating your own ... sad.

Old 08-08-2011, 8:08am   #18
RetiredSFC 97
Barn Stall Owner #63
Activity: 2.8%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $32270

Quote:
At least get your facts straight. Clinton was the one who allowed for the derivative boondoggle.

he has even said that was a mistake. day late and dollar short of course.

Our whole economic mess can be traced directly back to your hero clinton.
RetiredSFC 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 8:10am   #19
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97 View Post
At least get your facts straight. Clinton was the one who allowed for the derivative boondoggle.

he has even said that was a mistake. day late and dollar short of course.

Our whole economic mess can be traced directly back to your hero clinton.
Oh God ...
Old 08-08-2011, 8:15am   #20
RetiredSFC 97
Barn Stall Owner #63
Activity: 2.8%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $32270

Quote:
Oh God ...
explain what our problems are, when they became a problem, and what legislation created them, if you can.

Please don't take the liberal position of laughing at problems the liberals created.
RetiredSFC 97 is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion