Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-06-2011, 6:15pm   #101
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,452 Times in 17,245 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5SilverBullet View Post

I don't know anyone with excellent grades who couldn't get in to a top notch college.
Perhaps you haven't heard of the "10% rule" here in Texas that was passed into law some years back. In order to be "fair and equitable", students graduating in the top 10% of ANY high school in Texas are guaranteed admission to any school in the University of Texas or Texas A&M systems (for out of staters, those are our flagship, publicly paid for universities).

Now, what this means is a kid at a bad school somewhere with a poor SAT score and a general unpreparedness for college gets guaranteed admission to a flagship university, and since 1/10 of all the graduating seniors in Texas is such a large number, there oftentimes are no spaces available for other Texas grads.

This puts parents in the awkward position of sometimes finding crappier high schools for their kids to graduate from in order to better guarantee a shot at top 10%. IOW, send my kid to a crappier school, where he gets a poor education just so he can be a big fish in a small pond and get the top 10% "key to the kingdom".
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 6:20pm   #102
Fastguy
Barn Stall Owner #92
Bantayan Kids '13,'15
Activity: 0.8%

Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,401 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $7534993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
This ia a fact.

I don't like people who are here illegally.
I don't like people who refuse to conform to the rules and regulations of society.
I don't like people who put another country first, you know " XXX-American", If was so effing great go back there.
I don't like people who skirt the system and refuse to pay taxes and their fair share.
I don't like people who will not correct their kids (white, black, brown, tan or other color).
I don't like people who come here illegally and have babies so that they can stay in this country, and I don't like the fact that I have to pay for their medical bills.
I speak english, and I expect that language to be taught and spoken in the schools that I am paying for and that my children attend.
I don't like other people disrespecting the Flag of the United States (I know what the court ruled, but I don't have to like it).
I don't like people who let their country go to shit and then move here and try to turn it into the place they left.

And finally, I don't like ChasC5 and that is why he is on my ignore list.

So, do you think I am a racist?
Can't say I disagree with any of that.
Fastguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 6:22pm   #103
prospero63
A Real Barner

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $700255

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
This puts parents in the awkward position of sometimes finding crappier high schools for their kids to graduate from in order to better guarantee a shot at top 10%. IOW, send my kid to a crappier school, where he gets a poor education just so he can be a big fish in a small pond and get the top 10% "key to the kingdom".
I believe those parents are called "idiots".
prospero63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 6:26pm   #104
78SA
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 3,201 Times in 2,015 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3632152

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonk View Post
Why is it that a white guy can call another white guy honkey and get away with it but if I call a white guy honkey I'm labelled a member of the Black Panther party?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverspeed View Post
You can call me a honkey all you want, I don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
I prefer the term Cracker TYVM.
78SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 6:26pm   #105
Flatbush Harry
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107891

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospero63 View Post
I believe those parents are called "Texans".
fixt
Flatbush Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 6:27pm   #106
GRN ENVY
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #82
BR Car Washer II,III

NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13
Bantayan Kids '14
Activity: 2.2%

Thanked 1,819 Times in 959 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5504001

Quote:
You want to start backing that up with some facts?
Re-read my statement, I quoted it for you. Do a google search. Colleges and universities all over the country receive millions of dollars from the government to give to minority groups for scholarships. There may be organizations that are privately funded. I am not familiar with those. But I am solely speaking on government grants and scholarships. privately funded groups don't count in this argument, because its not tax dollars. That was my whole point.

And just so you know, I am in college right now, and to this date I have only received one scholarship, and it was $1,000 and it was from the YEF, Young Entrepreneur foundation, for starting my own business in high school. I can't tell you haw many scholarships I have applied to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN ENVY View Post
Good point, but most if not all are government funded. There maybe a few that are privately funded, not sure though
GRN ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 6:29pm   #107
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

Quote:
I believe those parents are called "idiots".
Explain that to the parents of the kid who placed in the top 11% at Bellaire, St. Thomas, or Memorial HS and had to send their kid to Timbucktoo U. after the kid's dream of going to UT or A&M like his parents was crushed. Explain that right after explaining to the kid that the other kid who got his spot at UT wasn't as qualified, didn't take as challenging a courseload in HS, and had lower SAT scores.

It's an untennable situation for parents, but I wouldn't call them idiots for trying to use strategy to get their kids into Texas' premiere public universities.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 6:31pm   #108
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbush Harry View Post
fixt
Hey, now....them's fightin' words around these parts, and remember....we got plenty of guns. Just sayin'.

Old 06-06-2011, 6:32pm   #109
prospero63
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN ENVY View Post
Re-read my statement, I quoted it for you. Do a google search. Colleges and universities all over the country receive millions of dollars from the government to give to minority groups for scholarships. There may be organizations that are privately funded. I am not familiar with those. But I am solely speaking on government grants and scholarships. privately funded groups don't count in this argument, because its not tax dollars. That was my whole point.
Here's what I know. You said "If you are white, there are NO scholarships for your ethnicity". 8 minutes later I posted a link to a scholarship for whites (first google search entry BTW). Then you made the claim that "most if not all [scholarships] are government funded". So far, your credibility isn't all that. It seems to me that you are needlessly exaggerating things to make your point. I'm not going to do the research to show you that your statement isn't accurate. You need to do the research to back your statement up. Didn't they teach you this in school?
Old 06-06-2011, 6:34pm   #110
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,453 Times in 10,612 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
Hey, now....them's fightin' words around these parts, and remember....we got plenty of guns. Just sayin'.

I believe 'ole Harry is as well versed with arms as he is with Webster's.
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 6:36pm   #111
prospero63
A Real Barner

Quote:
Explain that to the parents of the kid who placed in the top 11% at Bellaire, St. Thomas, or Memorial HS and had to send their kid to Timbucktoo U. after the kid's dream of going to UT or A&M like his parents was crushed.
Oh, that's easy. You knew what the target objective was, and you fell short. Welcome to life kid. It's tough. Wear a helmet. Not everyone is entitled to go to UT or A&M to validate their parents dreams and aspirations. If you'd have put in more work, and more effort, and had made the target, you wouldn't be here. Let that be a lesson to you. Work harder.

Quote:
Explain that right after explaining to the kid that the other kid who got his spot at UT wasn't as qualified, didn't take as challenging a courseload in HS, and had lower SAT scores.
Well there's your problem. A sense of entitlement. It wasn't "his spot" at UT. It was the spot for the kids that scored in the top 10% of their school. If he'd have done that, it would be his spot. He didn't though, so it's their spot.

Quote:
It's an untennable situation for parents, but I wouldn't call them idiots for trying to use strategy to get their kids into Texas' premiere public universities.
No, I call them idiots for under-educating their kids because it's so damned important that they bleed maroon or orange.
Old 06-06-2011, 6:37pm   #112
lander
A Real Barner
Activity: 13.1%

Thanked 1,530 Times in 799 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $402921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew M View Post
I'm not sure why you think you know anything about my genitals. I know for a fact that you have never seen them.

You, among everyone else, were politely asked to stop. Your disregard shows a lack of respect. That's how third graders act. It has nothing to do with political viewpoints. It has to do with being an adult.
You conveniently failed to answer my question. I'll take that as your acknowledgment that your thoughts were malformed and therefore without merit, but full of faggotry.
lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 6:39pm   #113
Flatbush Harry
A Real Barner

Quote:

Where I grew up, people were literate and well educated...and couldn't get into some top schools because of the vast oversupply of smart HS grads from the area. That's eff'n life...deal with it.

Further, parents who play the game described are, in fact, Texans, though probably not particularly bright or good ones. Like they say in some places, "all hat, no cattle".

Too, I hope my eff'n nephew studies hard as my twin brother lives in Dallas and would rather use UT.

Finally, for reasons I will not go into here (to protect the innocent as well as the guilty), UT has a flawed athletic program...so I don't really GAFF who or what goes to school there.

Harry

PS-Oh, and as to the guns, is that how y'all solve all arguments down there?
Old 06-06-2011, 6:41pm   #114
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,453 Times in 10,612 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbush Harry View Post
Where I grew up, people were literate and well educated...and couldn't get into some top schools because of the vast oversupply of smart HS grads from the area. That's eff'n life...deal with it.

Further, parents who play the game described are, in fact, Texans, though probably not particularly bright or good ones. Like they say in some places, "all hat, no cattle".

Too, I hope my eff'n nephew studies hard as my twin brother lives in Dallas and would rather use UT.

Finally, for reasons I will not go into here (to protect the innocent as well as the guilty), UT has a flawed athletic program...so I don't really GAFF who or what goes to school there.

Harry

PS-Oh, and as to the guns, is that how y'all solve all arguments down there?
Harry...

you have a twin brother? that is cool.

Are you guys identical?
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 6:43pm   #115
Flatbush Harry
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsAtTheBeach View Post
Harry...

you have a twin brother? that is cool.

Are you guys identical?
Me....."I wish."
Him..."Thank God, NO!"
Old 06-06-2011, 6:44pm   #116
GRN ENVY
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #82
BR Car Washer II,III

NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13
Bantayan Kids '14
Activity: 2.2%

Thanked 1,819 Times in 959 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5504001

Quote:
Here's what I know. You said "If you are white, there are NO scholarships for your ethnicity". 8 minutes later I posted a link to a scholarship for whites (first google search entry BTW). Then you made the claim that "most if not all [scholarships] are government funded". So far, your credibility isn't all that. It seems to me that you are needlessly exaggerating things to make your point. I'm not going to do the research to show you that your statement isn't accurate. You need to do the research to back your statement up. Didn't they teach you this in school?
Ok, you want to be specific, I will write it out so you can understand what I was saying.

A. You found the one and only Caucasian scholarship, it only gives out $500 amounts to those who meet the requirements. I was talking about full rides, 100% paid scholarships, not small amounts. So I am still correct.

B. There are tons of scholarships that are not paid by the government, but I was talking about ethnicity based scholarships. Those are primarily funded but the government give or take a few small privately funded organizations. Again 100% scholarships.

Yes, there are groups that give small amounts of scholarships but again I was talking about 100% coverage.

C. Reading is fundamental, better yet comprehension is fundamental, didn't they teach that to you in school, I know I learned it.

Perhaps I should have used the word "grants" those are government funded. I suppose the word scholarship can be used to loosely. Maybe that will be more clear to you?
GRN ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 6:45pm   #117
carlton_fritz
Barn Stall Owner #1991
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 2.9%

Thanked 7,179 Times in 3,520 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $43590365

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsAtTheBeach View Post
and your demise here will probably follow the same tracks...and for the same reason...
Hopefully much faster.
carlton_fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 6:46pm   #118
carlton_fritz
Barn Stall Owner #1991
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 2.9%

Thanked 7,179 Times in 3,520 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $43590365

Quote:
Texas College Scholarship Targets Only White Male Students - FoxNews.com

Sounds like some of you folks should create your own scholarships.
Should I ever become wealthy enough.
carlton_fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 6:47pm   #119
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

Quote:
Oh, that's easy. You knew what the target objective was, and you fell short. Welcome to life kid. It's tough. Wear a helmet. Not everyone is entitled to go to UT or A&M to validate their parents dreams and aspirations. If you'd have put in more work, and more effort, and had made the target, you wouldn't be here. Let that be a lesson to you. Work harder.

Well there's your problem. A sense of entitlement. It wasn't "his spot" at UT. It was the spot for the kids that scored in the top 10% of their school. If he'd have done that, it would be his spot. He didn't though, so it's their spot.

No, I call them idiots for under-educating their kids because it's so damned important that they bleed maroon or orange

Right there, you are contradicting yourself. The space is to be awarded to the top 10% kid. Fine. There it is: top 10%-winner, non-top 10% loser. The rules are pretty simple. Shipping your kid off to a school where he is more apt to be top 10% makes him more apt to be a winner in the skewed, screwed up world of Texas' university admissions.

The state has gamed the system, why are the parents idiots for gaming the system also? It is a zero sum game, BTW, win or lose. You either get in, or you go somewhere else. You said it yourself.
Old 06-06-2011, 6:49pm   #120
themonk
Barn Stall Owner #65
Activity: 3.7%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5394274

What I can't stand is the FOBs (Fresh Of the Boat) who aren't here one hour and commit a crime, I say if you're new to whatever country and so much as spit on the sidewalk you serve your time in our jail and then we send you on a one way trip back to your shithole country never to be allowed back into whichever country you got booted from again, furthermore we'll alert other G8 nations about your deviances.
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to themonk For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic