Politics & Religion Discussion of politics and religion

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2011, 8:31pm   #1
ChasC5
Banned
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $37320
bilmem Is this Hypocrisy? Or is OK with Republicans?

Is it me, or do I not see any questions of Hypocrisy from the Republican Supports about Senior David Vitter not being asked to Resign?

Just a friendly question.

Quote:
Prostitution scandals
[edit] D.C. Madam

In early July 2007, Vitter's phone number was included in a published list of phone records of Pamela Martin and Associates, a company owned and run by Deborah Jeane Palfrey, also known as the "D.C. Madam", convicted by the U.S. government for running a prostitution service. Hustler identified the phone number and contacted Vitter's office to ask about his connection to Palfrey.[18][19] The following day, Vitter issued a written statement:
“ This was a very serious sin in my past for which I am, of course, completely responsible. Several years ago, I asked for and received forgiveness from God and my wife in confession and marriage counseling. Out of respect for my family, I will keep my discussion of the matter there — with God and them. But I certainly offer my deep and sincere apologies to all I have disappointed and let down in any way.[20] ”

The statement containing Vitter's apology said his telephone number was included in phone records dating from his days as a member of the House of Representatives.[6] Phone records show that Vitter's number was called by Palfrey's service five times, the first on October 12, 1999, and the last on February 27, 2001.[21] Two calls were placed while House roll call votes were in progress.[22][23]

On July 16, 2007, after a week of self-imposed seclusion, Vitter emerged and called a news conference. Standing next to his wife, Vitter asked the public for forgiveness. Following Vitter's remarks, Wendy Vitter, his wife, spoke. Both refused to answer any questions.[24][25][26]

As background, several news outlets reported that in May 1999, Vitter replaced Congressman Bob Livingston after Livingston resigned due to an adultery scandal.[1][27][28] Vitter said about Livingston's decision to resign, "It's obviously a tremendous loss for the state. I think Livingston's stepping down makes a very powerful argument that Clinton should resign as well and move beyond this mess", referring to Bill Clinton's Monica Lewinsky scandal.[29]

Vitter will not face criminal charges due to the statute of limitations.[30]

Vitter incurred significant legal and public relations expenses in his efforts to avoid giving testimony in the Palfrey trial and to respond to the ethics complaint. Consequently, his attorneys sought permission from the Federal Election Commission to use campaign funds to pay for these expenses.[31][32] The Commission, along partisan lines, couldn't agree whether funds could be used for reimbursing costs related to the Palfrey trial but did allow them to pay for expenses connected to the Ethics Committee complaint.[33][34][35]
[edit] Canal Street Madam

On July 10, 2007, Jeanette Maier, the "Canal Street Madam", alleged that Vitter was a customer on more than one occasion in the 1990s, when Maier was identified by federal prosecutors as operating a $300 per hour brothel.[36] The Times-Picayune reported that "Maier offered no evidence or documents to support her claim."[37] A polygraph (lie detector) test was arranged for a New Orleans prostitute who claimed Vitter hired her and had sexual intercourse with her. The prostitute passed the test.[38]
[edit] Reaction

While the Louisiana state Republican Party offered guarded support,[39] national Republicans offered forgiveness.[40] The Nation predicted that the Republican Party would be in a "forgiving mood", pointing out if Vitter did step down, then Governor of Louisiana, Kathleen Blanco, a Democrat, would likely appoint a Democrat to take Vitter's place until a special election took place, thus increasing Democratic control over the Senate.[41][42][43]

Republican Senator Sam Brownback told Bloomberg Television on October 5, 2007, that Vitter should be censured by the Senate. He said, "I think you could see something like that taking place. If you look at the actual crime itself and the discussion across the country– and as a Republican– this is bad."[44]

In a similar vein when the Eliot Spitzer prostitution scandal — Spitzer being then governor of New York — hit the headlines, commentators contrasted the end-results: Spitzer resigned while Vitter stayed on.[45][46][47] In response, Jeff Crouere, a New Orleans conservative political commentator, called on Vitter to resign, saying he was an ineffective representative and reflected poorly on the state.[48] Other local political figures differed with Crouere. Democratic political consultant James Carville said the two cases were entirely different: Spitzer's situation developed from an active investigation and as a former prosecutor and governor he had powerful enemies. In contrast, Carville described Vitter as "Louisiana’s junior senator and nobody really knows him or cares that much about him," but concluded that, "if they paid with their own money, I don’t think either one should resign." The Louisiana Republican governor Bobby Jindal said, "Senator Vitter has already addressed this.... The people of New York can deal with the Governor of New York.”[49] Additionally, one gauge of the scandal's impact — local fundraising — indicated that Vitter has weathered the controversy well: first quarter 2008 finance reports show that he made, according to The Times-Picayune, an "impressive haul".[50] Another gauge, voter approval, indicates Vitter is, as of June 2008, still popular with Louisiana voters.[51]

Following the June 2009 admission of Nevada Senator John Ensign that he had an affair with an employee of his Senate office, the Louisiana Democratic Party called on Senator Vitter to resign his leadership position (as a deputy whip) in the Senate, arguing that because Ensign had resigned his position as Republican Policy Committee Chairman of the United States Senate, Vitter should do the same.[52]

https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/n...newthread&f=82
Well the good news is ... he actually got a Happy Ending.

Last edited by ChasC5; 06-09-2011 at 7:00am. Reason: I guess I needs to HIGHLIGHT the Question for all to SEE!
ChasC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 8:33pm   #2
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,460 Times in 10,619 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

I hope weiner slogs it out to the bitter end
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 8:37pm   #3
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsAtTheBeach View Post
I hope weiner slogs it out to the bitter end
Should The Republicans had forced Senior David Vitter out?
Old 06-08-2011, 8:44pm   #4
LATB
A Real Barner

bak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasC5 View Post
Should The Republicans had forced Senior David Vitter out?
if their constituency calls for it...yes
The Following User Says Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2011, 8:49pm   #5
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
if their constituency calls for it...yes
Ok ... I can't disagree with that.

I just wish other, especially the really outspoken, thought that way.

We'll see who are the ones who stands up for the Values they Preach.
Old 06-08-2011, 9:34pm   #6
AC54ME
Barn Stall Owner #66
Activity: 0.6%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4290

Chas,

I must have missed the Republicans calling for Weiner to resign, or for that matter to stay the course.

All over the news (including gasp CNN and MSNBC) I see Democrat after Democrat calling on him to resign.

Past and present DNC chairpersons also.

http://politisite.com/2011/06/08/sou...ignity’/

So help this poor old country boy out; what hypocrisy (in this matter) could be attributed to Republicans?
AC54ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 9:49pm   #7
AC54ME
Barn Stall Owner #66

Hypocrisy, thy name is Democrats.

What About Waters? - Investors.com

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0411/53820.html
Old 06-09-2011, 6:58am   #8
ChasC5
Banned

bilmem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC54ME View Post
Chas,

I must have missed the Republicans calling for Weiner to resign, or for that matter to stay the course.

All over the news (including gasp CNN and MSNBC) I see Democrat after Democrat calling on him to resign.

Past and present DNC chairpersons also.

http://politisite.com/2011/06/08/sou...-own-dignity’/

So help this poor old country boy out; what hypocrisy (in this matter) could be attributed to Republicans?
One name: DAVID VITTER ... do you remember if the Republican Party insisting that he resign? Or do you remember The Camber clapping when he returned to his job. Just asking if you and the others have a comment on this?

And YES, The Democrats are doing exactly what they should be doing ... asking Weiner to step down and the Speaker is doing what she should be doing, launching and investigation to find out the truth if he used Government resources to break any Rules or Laws.
Old 06-09-2011, 7:29am   #9
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
One name: DAVID VITTER ... do you remember if the Republican Party insisting that he resign? Or do you remember The Camber clapping when he returned to his job. Just asking if you and the others have a comment on this?

And YES, The Democrats are doing exactly what they should be doing ... asking Weiner to step down and the Speaker is doing what she should be doing, launching and investigation to find out the truth if he used Government resources to break any Rules or Laws.
clue for you

Pelosi is not the current speaker
Old 06-09-2011, 7:34am   #10
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
clue for you

Pelosi is not the current speaker
My Bad ... I forgot ...

BTW; do you thik anyone is going to answer my original question or just do what I'm always accused of ... :teotap:

Speaking of Hypocrisy
Old 06-09-2011, 7:41am   #11
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
My Bad ... I forgot ...

BTW; do you thik anyone is going to answer my original question or just do what I'm always accused of ... :teotap:

Speaking of Hypocrisy
I answered you.

I'm not to speak for others...remember?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:43am   #12
Mark C5
Barn Raising I

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $167111

Quote:
BTW; do you thik anyone is going to answer my original question
Hypocrisy requires a two part action. In order for the act of a Republican not calling for Vitter to resign to qualify as hypocrisy he or she would have had to also call for the resignation of someone who committed the same or a similar offense. If a Republican had or has done this, then that Republican would be acting in a hypocritical manner in this instance but not necessarily a hypocrite. If there was a pattern of such behavior by said Republican then it would be accurate to label that Republican as a hypocrite.

Does one Republican acting in a hypocritical manner mean all Republicans are hypocrites? No, of course not, just as all Democrats are not necessarily perverts simply because one is.

Any further questions?
Mark C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark C5 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2011, 10:50am   #13
AC54ME
Barn Stall Owner #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C5 View Post
Hypocrisy requires a two part action. In order for the act of a Republican not calling for Vitter to resign to qualify as hypocrisy he or she would have had to also call for the resignation of someone who committed the same or a similar offense. If a Republican had or has done this, then that Republican would be acting in a hypocritical manner in this instance but not necessarily a hypocrite. If there was a pattern of such behavior by said Republican then it would be accurate to label that Republican as a hypocrite.

Does one Republican acting in a hypocritical manner mean all Republicans are hypocrites? No, of course not, just as all Democrats are not necessarily perverts simply because one is.

Any further questions?
You stated it much better than I could have

Chas, I see you fail to address my post on Democrat hypocrisies in the matter of Waters, and I'll refrain for the moment in bringing up Rangle, or Franks.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:15pm   #14
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
You stated it much better than I could have

Chas, I see you fail to address my post on Democrat hypocrisies in the matter of Waters, and I'll refrain for the moment in bringing up Rangle, or Franks.
We’ve already established years ago the Democratic Hierocracy … but yea just can’t get an “R” to over admit it …not even on this Forum.

My Tread already asked the question … “what about them” … the response can’t be; “what about them”?

Old 06-09-2011, 12:25pm   #15
AC54ME
Barn Stall Owner #66

Quote:
We’ve already established years ago the Democratic Hierocracy … but yea just can’t get an “R” to over admit it …not even on this Forum.

My Tread already asked the question … “what about them” … the response can’t be; “what about them”?

Nice try, no cigar.

I do not approve of hypocrisy by anyone.

You provide a singular matter for consideration and expect everyone to jump on your bandwagon in demeaning the Republicans - while in fact the matter you pose cannot be compared to a like situation - so thus how pray tell can you determine hypocrisy?

When confronted with this fact you immediately deflect.

When confronted with the situations surrounding Waters, or Rangle, or others you deflect.

I am becoming familiar with your methods, took awhile, but eventually the true capabilities of a person are made apparent.
The Following User Says Thank You to AC54ME For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2011, 12:38pm   #16
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Nice try, no cigar.

I do not approve of hypocrisy by anyone.
That's most of what the Thread was for ... spread the word among the "R"s
Old 06-09-2011, 12:48pm   #17
AC54ME
Barn Stall Owner #66

Quote:
That's most of what the Thread was for ... spread the word among the "R"s
Wrong group to entertain - they know hypocrisy when they encounter same.

Now as to the Democrats....... well, if it slapped them up beside the head they would form a committee to see if it was racist first, then determine if they could pay it off, and if that was unworkable hide it.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:58pm   #18
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Wrong group to entertain - they know hypocrisy when they encounter same.

Now as to the Democrats....... well, if it slapped them up beside the head they would form a committee to see if it was racist first, then determine if they could pay it off, and if that was unworkable hide it.
VITTER ?
Old 06-09-2011, 1:11pm   #19
AC54ME
Barn Stall Owner #66

Quote:
VITTER ?
My statement stands.

And you deflect from the Democrats proven hypocrisy.

Afraid to voice the facts to counter the links provided by me?

Of course you are - you want to play a game with words and graphics - sorry but I, like many here no longer subscribe to your and are calling you out.
Old 06-09-2011, 1:29pm   #20
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
My statement stands.

And you deflect from the Democrats proven hypocrisy.

Afraid to voice the facts to counter the links provided by me?

Of course you are - you want to play a game with words and graphics - sorry but I, like many here no longer subscribe to your and are calling you out.
Dude ... it's my Thread ... I ask the questions around here.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion