Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > C4 Corvette > C4 Open Discussion
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

C4 Open Discussion General and technical C4 Corvette discussion - ownership, maintenance, repairs, modifications, tuning

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2011, 6:21am   #81
drmrman
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2570

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLRX View Post
BTW, the A/C Opti is a good unit. The bad thing is that for 93 it is not vented however, my 92 opti gave me 195,000 miles. The DynaCrappyspark gave me 600 miles. That was the biggest piece of mechanical excrement I've ever purchased.
And you didnt get it warrantied because you were mad? Or you just wanted to spend your money else where? These units have a life time warranty. No?
drmrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 8:41am   #82
C4fan
A Real Barner

Thanked 1,418 Times in 706 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $882805

Quote:
Ok I read your CF thread and this are my two cents.

I had a similar issue with my 700R4 back then. I played with the TV cable and ended up with your problem. I kept moving and spinning that thing and it was shifting earlier than before but, once I got it there I left it alone.

Check the TPS voltage, those things work together.

BTW, the A/C Opti is a good unit. The bad thing is that for 93 it is not vented however, my 92 opti gave me 195,000 miles. The DynaCrappyspark gave me 600 miles. That was the biggest piece of mechanical excrement I've ever purchased.
When I did the new engine I upgraded to the vented opti. The Delco unit it ordered was for a 96. So you're saying that you lost gears in the tranny and when you got the adjustment correct your tranny came back?
C4fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:06am   #83
PLRX
Barn Stall Owner #120
Activity: 22.7%

Thanked 6,079 Times in 2,562 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9282448

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmrman View Post
And you didnt get it warrantied because you were mad? Or you just wanted to spend your money else where? These units have a life time warranty. No?
I was deploying at the time. I didnt had the time to take half of the engine apart. Looks like you had luck with yours, good for you.

Looks like the day the engineer mine they ate corn because it was noticeable the shit was defective. I bashed them real good in the CF but, those were old CF days.
PLRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:07am   #84
PLRX
Barn Stall Owner #120
Activity: 22.7%

Thanked 6,079 Times in 2,562 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9282448

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4fan View Post
When I did the new engine I upgraded to the vented opti. The Delco unit it ordered was for a 96. So you're saying that you lost gears in the tranny and when you got the adjustment correct your tranny came back?
Not gears, it was shifting to second like 5 miles earlier than before. It wasn't a big deal.
PLRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:43pm   #85
C4fan
A Real Barner

Quote:
Here is a link to CF were someone explained the difference between old, new and warranties. There is an obvious difference with quality (at least with this one persons experience)

Dynaspark Experience - Corvette Forum
Old 05-16-2011, 12:47pm   #86
C4fan
A Real Barner

Quote:
Not gears, it was shifting to second like 5 miles earlier than before. It wasn't a big deal.
Yeah mine is all over the place, 3rd seems to be gone completely and 2nd feels like it shifts in and out of 1st. I just don't know if I can check something or if I need a new tranny. There are too many things that started going wrong at the same time to not be related somehow.
Old 05-16-2011, 3:08pm   #87
drmrman
Vette Barn Crew

Quote:
I was deploying at the time. I didnt had the time to take half of the engine apart. Looks like you had luck with yours, good for you.

Looks like the day the engineer mine they ate corn because it was noticeable the shit was defective. I bashed them real good in the CF but, those were old CF days.
Got ya! Sounds good... Well its a shame! Because so far mine is great! Start ups are quick and smooth. Especially when its hot. When the car was hot with the factory and Delco units I had, they always took noticeably longer to fire! Now... Starts right up!

Anyways! Hope mine works out for a loooong time! Thats one thing I dont feel like buying or replacing again! Especially if I find time/money to do the motor work that Id like!
Old 06-26-2011, 2:06pm   #88
C4fan
A Real Barner

Quote:
Another set back. I will never buy anything from CF members again.
Well I said this, but I just sent money to guy03 at CF for a throttle body/TV cable. I've had so many deals that went off poorly. Some because of shipping and some because of bad sellers. I guess I hope to see the best in people.
Old 07-06-2011, 8:03pm   #89
C4fan
A Real Barner

Sh!t, Sh!t, Sh!t,,,,,, I knew better but trusted someone on CF again and got burned for it again. I know most on the forum are good but I just have bad luck with it.

I sent him this pic of my broken cable to make sure the tabs on his were good before we made the deal.

These are pics of what he sent.

I hope it was just an honest mistake and I asked for a refund. But I wonder how a person could just accidentally not see the arrows in my pic.
Old 08-01-2011, 6:16pm   #90
C4fan
A Real Barner

Well the car went off this morning for the transmission rebuild. WooHoo !!! This guy really seems to know his 700r4s. He promised me I wouldn't be able to break it with my stroker. I'll be sending off my torque converter to PeteK's people to clean and recheck. Pete is really taking care of me on this, going above and beyond even though there were no issues with the converter. What a great person to deal with. Thanks Pete!!!

Still have an issue with the TPS showing a code. And I still don't know if it could be related to the Holley TB. The one I have is for the Camaro not the Corvette. Apparently, there is a specific part number for the corvette LT1 but I can't see what could be the difference. I sent Holley an email and I didn't get any response.
Old 08-02-2011, 8:44pm   #91
C4fan
A Real Barner

Was talking to the guys a Quality Motorsports in Lewisville, TX today and realized the TPS code may be coming from the fact that I went from a 58mm TB to a 52mm TB and the tune was set for the 58. The 58 would allow more air at idle (based on the same throttle position) than the 52. Or in this case the 52 is letting in less so it's dying.

Anyone had any experience changing throttle body sizes?
Old 08-12-2011, 11:41am   #92
drmrman
Vette Barn Crew

Quote:
Was talking to the guys a Quality Motorsports in Lewisville, TX today and realized the TPS code may be coming from the fact that I went from a 58mm TB to a 52mm TB and the tune was set for the 58. The 58 would allow more air at idle (based on the same throttle position) than the 52. Or in this case the 52 is letting in less so it's dying.

Anyone had any experience changing throttle body sizes?
I dont know about bad experiences but I do know that you should ensure that you are getting propper voltage from your tps. Some TB's state in their directions that you may have to ovlong the mounting holes in your factroy TPS and fine tune the voltage to ensure propper function. Maybe see if this is your issue?
Old 08-12-2011, 11:55am   #93
C4fan
A Real Barner

Quote:
I dont know about bad experiences but I do know that you should ensure that you are getting propper voltage from your tps. Some TB's state in their directions that you may have to ovlong the mounting holes in your factroy TPS and fine tune the voltage to ensure propper function. Maybe see if this is your issue?
Great tip, didn't know that. I'll check it out.

Thanks.
Old 08-12-2011, 1:40pm   #94
drmrman
Vette Barn Crew

Quote:
Great tip, didn't know that. I'll check it out.

Thanks.
Hope it works out. Im sure a quick search on google or some other search engine can get you the factory voltages that you should be seeing.

If not just give me the yr of your car and the next time Im at work Ill check on alldata and see what it says it should be.
Old 08-12-2011, 2:10pm   #95
C4fan
A Real Barner

I assume the voltages should be in the FSM but I left it in my car which is at the transmission shop anyway. Mine is a '93. I'll check into it when I get my car back.

Thanks for the offer and for the help.
Old 08-31-2011, 8:07am   #96
C4fan
A Real Barner

Default Update:

Well I got my car back from the transmission doctor. So far seems to be doing OK. Now I'm dealing with the throttle body problems. I'm convinced at this point all of my codes are from the Holley. I finally found a couple of threads on CF that deal with the Holley issues. The car was very sluggish and would not go to WOT at all which makes sense when you read this link.

Holley Throttle Body not opening all the way - Corvette Forum

This thread also has a link to the installation procedures for the Holley and explain the TPS will need to be adjusted.

I'm thinking this Holley isn't worth the trouble and will sell it. Too bad It's like bran new. I think it will be easier to tweak the 58mm Summit and if that doesn't work just buy a new one.
Old 09-09-2011, 9:30pm   #97
drmrman
Vette Barn Crew

Quote:
Well I got my car back from the transmission doctor. So far seems to be doing OK. Now I'm dealing with the throttle body problems. I'm convinced at this point all of my codes are from the Holley. I finally found a couple of threads on CF that deal with the Holley issues. The car was very sluggish and would not go to WOT at all which makes sense when you read this link.

Holley Throttle Body not opening all the way - Corvette Forum

This thread also has a link to the installation procedures for the Holley and explain the TPS will need to be adjusted.

I'm thinking this Holley isn't worth the trouble and will sell it. Too bad It's like bran new. I think it will be easier to tweak the 58mm Summit and if that doesn't work just buy a new one.
Im going through a slue of problems with my 58mm B&M unit right now. First the cable was too short.

I adjusted it.

Now its the proper length but wont go WOT and it seems the sprng tension on the butterflies arent enough because they arent returning shut all the way...

Ughh... Problem after problem...
Old 09-09-2011, 10:52pm   #98
C4fan
A Real Barner

Yeah me too, I was the one (tuffLUV) on CF who gave you the link to the thread with the adjustment procedure.

I know I'm going brain dead, but is there a trick to installing a TPS? I have 2 of them, my old one and the new one I bought for the new engine. The old one has a spring inside that will bring the TPS back to the original position when rotated by the TB shaft. My new one doesn't so I'm thinking it's broken.

Assuming this is the case when I try to install the old TPS on one of the spare TB's it appears to be doing nothing. The TPS allows up to 90* of free movement from the linkage shaft.This tells me the TPS needs to be rotated enough to put some of the spring load on the shaft to allow the internal spring in the TPS to do its job. The problem is, there isn't any way to get this pre load on the TPS. Either the TPS is broken or I just not seeing the whole picture.
Old 09-10-2011, 6:01am   #99
drmrman
Vette Barn Crew

Quote:
Yeah me too, I was the one (tuffLUV) on CF who gave you the link to the thread with the adjustment procedure.

I know I'm going brain dead, but is there a trick to installing a TPS? I have 2 of them, my old one and the new one I bought for the new engine. The old one has a spring inside that will bring the TPS back to the original position when rotated by the TB shaft. My new one doesn't so I'm thinking it's broken.

Assuming this is the case when I try to install the old TPS on one of the spare TB's it appears to be doing nothing. The TPS allows up to 90* of free movement from the linkage shaft.This tells me the TPS needs to be rotated enough to put some of the spring load on the shaft to allow the internal spring in the TPS to do its job. The problem is, there isn't any way to get this pre load on the TPS. Either the TPS is broken or I just not seeing the whole picture.
Sounds like the "new" tps is shot... It should def have spring tension. It allows it to maintain constant positive pressure on the butterfly cam to insure proper readings... See if you can get it exchanged for another unit?

I cant believe my TB isnt returning to closed now... Nothing is binding, the touch of a feather is JUST ENOUGH to help it finish the last 1/16th of an inch it needs to close...... I just cant see whats wrong... Im going to pull it off today and see if that spring can be adjusted tighter. If not I may just put the stocker back on because this is getting out of hand.
Old 09-10-2011, 9:23am   #100
C4fan
A Real Barner

Quote:
I cant believe my TB isnt returning to closed now... Nothing is binding, the touch of a feather is JUST ENOUGH to help it finish the last 1/16th of an inch it needs to close...... I just cant see whats wrong... Im going to pull it off today and see if that spring can be adjusted tighter. If not I may just put the stocker back on because this is getting out of hand.
That is exactly what mine was doing right after I rebuilt the new motor and had the 58 Summit TB. When it's cold it works perfectly but on the car (at run temp) it would hold open just slightly. I'm of the feeling now that it's not the TB but something is causing it to hold open. There are plenty of "bad idle" threads at CF but after a while I was more confused than before I started reading.

The Vette Barn > C4 Corvette > C4 Open Discussion