Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2021, 11:37am   #1
NotSlo
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 6.1%

Thanked 1,061 Times in 351 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1001365
Default My Husky had a seizure this morning

Lasted 3 minutes, never felt so helpless in my life.

He is ok now, but we are keeping a close eye on him. Looked like he was about to vomit and our Corgi went crazy barking, seems like she know something was wrong. He then goes into convulsions, twisting his head around, foaming at the mouth, lands on his side shaking all over. All I could do was hold him and try to comfort him.

10 minutes after he was fine and acting like nothing happened. Ate his breakfast and drank some water. He is exhausted though, as expected after something like that.

Vet said if he has a 2nd to bring him in, or if he has another on a different day that is longer in duration.

Very upsetting.
NotSlo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NotSlo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2021, 11:42am   #2
LisaJohn
Barn Stall Owner #1000
1000th member
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.8%

Thanked 4,784 Times in 2,616 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2425793

Seizures are very scary. I had a spitz that had a couple when she was 18.
LisaJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:09pm   #3
NEED-A-VETTE
Moderatrix
Barn Stall Owner #109
BR Organizer II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '17
Bantayan Kids '13,'15,'17
Activity: 5.8%

Location: Your not a good moderator either, V-A-G. Honestly I find it kind of funny.
Thanked 18,048 Times in 5,336 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9966256

They do look frightening. We had a cat that was having seizures. Turns out it was blood sugar problems. He was confused for a few days and had very small, residual seizures for a few days. After effect of the big seizure.

We monitored his blood sugar and made diet adjustments (RX food) and he never had any more.

Crossing fingers your pup is ok.
NEED-A-VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:13pm   #4
ToolMaker
Barn Stall Owner #97
Activity: 2.5%

Thanked 1,021 Times in 555 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $56470018

Get his sugar checked? This was the issue with my Black Lab, and we had to give him a shot every day. (from then on).
ToolMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 1:11pm   #5
Rodnok1
A Real Barner
Activity: 60.4%

Thanked 23,652 Times in 9,765 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $315482

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSlo View Post
Lasted 3 minutes, never felt so helpless in my life.

He is ok now, but we are keeping a close eye on him. Looked like he was about to vomit and our Corgi went crazy barking, seems like she know something was wrong. He then goes into convulsions, twisting his head around, foaming at the mouth, lands on his side shaking all over. All I could do was hold him and try to comfort him.

10 minutes after he was fine and acting like nothing happened. Ate his breakfast and drank some water. He is exhausted though, as expected after something like that.

Vet said if he has a 2nd to bring him in, or if he has another on a different day that is longer in duration.

Very upsetting.
How old is the doggo?

Had a husky had them extremely bad at first started around 1.5 years old, like should have died bad from all the drugs. Recovered to having them on occasion and less the older he got. Most happened during major changes in barometer so he got extra meds day before. His were the type where he didn't know what was happening as yours.
Current husky/Sheppard has them once to four times a year, however they are strickly muscular and he's fully aware of what's happening. He will growl if you ask him questions even. Eyes do lock opening so have to be careful about lighting as it can make them worse and confuses them. I turn the lights off and don't let outside until eyes recover.
Only thing you can do at home is to keep calm and do the same for the doggo, letting him know you're there when comes out of it. Yes I've been through hundreds of them between the two.
First dog that had it cost me hundreds a month in meds...
Story for another day is his recovery and rehab.
Rodnok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 2:43pm   #6
ZipZap
Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team
Activity: 94.2%

Location: A sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory
Thanked 9,069 Times in 4,290 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23236

Any mushrooms where you are?
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 3:12pm   #7
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 33,222 Times in 13,388 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

A Husky we had when I was young, had seizures too. Little different. She would lock up like those goats that fall over. Her whole body would stiffen and she would have her eyes opened, but they didn't move.

Very sad. I hope your doggo will be ok.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 3:19pm   #8
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Activity: 4.3%

Thanked 8,999 Times in 2,776 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $24717333

Ouch. That was how Hanna went out. Except she was having a serious seizure about every four hours. Heartbreaking. I couldn’t let her sufffer. After five or six, she was very weak, couldn’t raise her head. I had to carry her to the van to take her in. And carry her out.

I did learn that covering her eyes seemed to shorten the seizure. We believe her first seizure blinded her. Her eyes did not respond to light after that.

I may have posted this before but I had never heard her cry in 11 years. After the fourth seizure she lay in my arms, heavy as a sack of rocks and just whimpered. That hit me so hard. She was tough as nails, the dominant female. At that moment, all she could muster was a whimper.

I heard her loud and clear. “Please protect me. I’m scared. It is time to go.”

I did a lot of whispering in her ears those last two days. Right up to the end.

I hope the OPs dog recovers.
SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SnikPlosskin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2021, 7:40pm   #9
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 30,505 Times in 14,292 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108033784

Sorry to hear this, Doug. Hopefully this is just an isolated event. Hugs to Logan, he's such a handsome pup!
snide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snide For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2021, 9:03pm   #10
NotSlo
Vette Barn Crew

He had another bad one at 7 pm, it was shorter but more intense. Took him a while to come out of it. He is now at the emergency Vet overnight, it looks like epilepsy. Gonna put him on Keppra and see how it goes.

I just want my good boy to be ok.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NotSlo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2021, 9:07pm   #11
NotSlo
Vette Barn Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
Any mushrooms where you are?
Not that I have seen
The Following User Says Thank You to NotSlo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2021, 9:08pm   #12
NotSlo
Vette Barn Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodnok1 View Post
How old is the doggo?

Had a husky had them extremely bad at first started around 1.5 years old, like should have died bad from all the drugs. Recovered to having them on occasion and less the older he got. Most happened during major changes in barometer so he got extra meds day before. His were the type where he didn't know what was happening as yours.
Current husky/Sheppard has them once to four times a year, however they are strickly muscular and he's fully aware of what's happening. He will growl if you ask him questions even. Eyes do lock opening so have to be careful about lighting as it can make them worse and confuses them. I turn the lights off and don't let outside until eyes recover.
Only thing you can do at home is to keep calm and do the same for the doggo, letting him know you're there when comes out of it. Yes I've been through hundreds of them between the two.
First dog that had it cost me hundreds a month in meds...
Story for another day is his recovery and rehab.
He is 4
Old 07-09-2021, 9:14pm   #13
Rodnok1
A Real Barner

Good luck with the doggo, hopefully gets under control quickly.
Old 07-10-2021, 11:46pm   #14
NotSlo
Vette Barn Crew

Long day, the pup is not himself. No seizures today but he slept most of it. He ate a bit, but had diarrhea later in the day. He is all out of sorts. Hopefully this is temporary. Not the same dog he was.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NotSlo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2021, 1:27am   #15
Olustee bus
A Real Barner
Activity: 2.3%

Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,781 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1232517

Prayers that it will recover to normal tomorrow and not have this problem again.
Olustee bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 6:17am   #16
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
Bantayan Kids '14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18

Thanked 12,517 Times in 5,844 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1084134

VITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 6:29am   #17
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 30,505 Times in 14,292 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108033784

I hope that Logan is able to fully recover from this.
snide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 7:36am   #18
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Activity: 4.3%

Thanked 8,999 Times in 2,776 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $24717333

Quote:
Long day, the pup is not himself. No seizures today but he slept most of it. He ate a bit, but had diarrhea later in the day. He is all out of sorts. Hopefully this is temporary. Not the same dog he was.
I’m hoping for the best but this isn’t a good sign. Dogs have seizures from many different conditions. Brain tumors, brain bleeds, organ failure, spinal cord degradation, the list goes on.

However four is pretty young. Hanna had diarrhea too during her two days of hell. In her case we believe her degenerative spinal disease was causing her organs to fail.

If the poop smells bad and is yellow like bile, it could be liver failure.

I’m hoping for the best here but prepare yourself for the worst. Epilepsy in dogs is treatable but they don’t live long typically. Any other cause is typically not survivable.

Please watch closely and if the seizures keep coming, you may have to make the sacrifice for him/her. I could not bear watching Hanna go through even one more seizure.

What breed?
Where did you get him?
Do you have a pedigree?
Can you reach the breeder to ask about other pups in the litter?

What did the vet say?

We lost Ranger to autoimmune disease (oddly the canine version of what I have) when I talked to the breeder he said the mother was the last living member of that litter besides Ranger. They all died from the same autoimmune disease. And he was only 1.5 years old when he died. Shortly after the mother died too.

I mention this because it helps make decisions if you can get some idea of the genetics of the dog. In Rangers case once we had this information, we knew it was inevitable so instead of putting him through more medical shit (he had his eye removed from infection he couldn’t fight) we made him comfortable until he let us know he was ready.

In my expressive experience with dogs, they seldom recover from surgeries or major medical problems. It may extend their life for a few months to a year, but relatively few recover fully.

This is why, if one of our dogs has a major problem that would require surgery (like bloat - which we have seen twice) we put them down. The surgeries seem so traumatic, they cause other problems.

For example Django had bloat, was operated on and seemed to recover. He was dead a year later from spinal degeneration. The theory is that the stress of surgery triggered the degenerative disease.

Please keep us posted. I hope it is blood sugar or something manageable.
SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 7:49am   #19
Rodnok1
A Real Barner

Quote:
Seizure meds will make him loopy at a minimum, mine would howl for half hr walk head first to a wall and pee then basically fall over and sleep for an hr or 2 and repeat. Took days to get settled down so keep the faith brother sounds fairly normal for meds.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:11am   #20
NotSlo
Vette Barn Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin View Post
I’m hoping for the best but this isn’t a good sign. Dogs have seizures from many different conditions. Brain tumors, brain bleeds, organ failure, spinal cord degradation, the list goes on.

However four is pretty young. Hanna had diarrhea too during her two days of hell. In her case we believe her degenerative spinal disease was causing her organs to fail.

If the poop smells bad and is yellow like bile, it could be liver failure.

I’m hoping for the best here but prepare yourself for the worst. Epilepsy in dogs is treatable but they don’t live long typically. Any other cause is typically not survivable.

Please watch closely and if the seizures keep coming, you may have to make the sacrifice for him/her. I could not bear watching Hanna go through even one more seizure.

What breed?
Where did you get him?
Do you have a pedigree?
Can you reach the breeder to ask about other pups in the litter?

What did the vet say?

We lost Ranger to autoimmune disease (oddly the canine version of what I have) when I talked to the breeder he said the mother was the last living member of that litter besides Ranger. They all died from the same autoimmune disease. And he was only 1.5 years old when he died. Shortly after the mother died too.

I mention this because it helps make decisions if you can get some idea of the genetics of the dog. In Rangers case once we had this information, we knew it was inevitable so instead of putting him through more medical shit (he had his eye removed from infection he couldn’t fight) we made him comfortable until he let us know he was ready.

In my expressive experience with dogs, they seldom recover from surgeries or major medical problems. It may extend their life for a few months to a year, but relatively few recover fully.

This is why, if one of our dogs has a major problem that would require surgery (like bloat - which we have seen twice) we put them down. The surgeries seem so traumatic, they cause other problems.

For example Django had bloat, was operated on and seemed to recover. He was dead a year later from spinal degeneration. The theory is that the stress of surgery triggered the degenerative disease.

Please keep us posted. I hope it is blood sugar or something manageable.
Logan is a Husky, 4 years old. We got him from a small breeder, not a puppy mill and he is registered. I should be able to get hold of the guy, my wife and I were just talking about this. The Vet said Huskies are heavily represented in the epilepsy stats.

He hasn't had another episode since the 2nd one, and seems much better today. Slept through the night, got up and woke me to go out. We are keeping him close and not allowing any rough housing between him and our Corgi, they play pretty hard.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic