Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-19-2024, 7:51am   #21
vettemed
A Real Barner
Activity: 38.5%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruze View Post
What was a huge factor in the collapsing of many global empires throughout history?

Fighting "endless foreign wars," and debasing the currency to pay for them -- i.e. inflation. Sound familiar?

Nixon really kicked it off in 1971 by delinking the dollar from gold, to help pay for the Vietnam War. The inflation (by .gov controlling the money supply) has been ongoing since (it was before that too, just not as bad).

I'd love to put all this current mess on Biden's shoulders, but it's a century-long problem. The problem is government, not which "team" happens to be running it.
Being not too distantly related to Chimps and Bonobos, we humans have an innate tendency to fight. As humankind has developed technology, that fighting is ever more expensive.

Amassing tax dollars allows the chimps running the show to flex their monkey muscles at the chimps somewhere else.
vettemed is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vettemed For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 8:03am   #22
6spdC6
A Real Barner
Activity: 36.7%

Location: NorthernNY! (A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake) in the peoples republic of NY
Thanked 3,415 Times in 1,871 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2115673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette40th View Post
Biden and Obama have been working this war for some time. FJB
I dont want another fricking war.
On a side note, Its the regime in Iran, that we should have taken out in 79
So many problems caused by Jimmy Carter, but this was probably his biggest. Not backing the Shaw was bad enough but by allowing the Ayatollah Kommini to come back to Iran was the worst. With the equipment and knowledge the CIA has, a fatal heart attack or a very fast moving disease could have taken out that POS. Repeat he never should have got out of prison alive.
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 6spdC6 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 8:16am   #23
ptindall
A Real Barner
Activity: 11.9%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $56446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swany00 View Post
amazing foreign policy....russia attacks ukraine, America screws allies in afghanistan withdrawal, America funds terrorists with weapons and billions of dollars, we provide hundreds of millions for other countries borders yet allow our own borders to be invaded, china threatening taiwan...the list goes on how much this ****ing potato has compromised the USA...**** him and his ilk
Just imagine how ****ed up everything would get if we adobted Bill Daniels style isolationism by pulling American forces out of everywhere and declaring that we aren't helping any of our allies at all.
ptindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 8:20am   #24
Onebadcad
Barn Stall Owner #116
Doesn't have a big thing
Activity: 99.8%

Thanked 9,233 Times in 4,620 Posts

Hopefully glass becomes cheaper,,,
Onebadcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 8:36am   #25
BRUIZER
A Real Barner
Activity: 6.5%

Thanked 1,433 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdC6 View Post
So many problems caused by Jimmy Carter, but this was probably his biggest. Not backing the Shaw was bad enough but by allowing the Ayatollah Kommini to come back to Iran was the worst. With the equipment and knowledge the CIA has, a fatal heart attack or a very fast moving disease could have taken out that POS. Repeat he never should have got out of prison alive.

The agency mentioned above far FAR underestimated the
islamic movement at that time. The mullah's were utilizing university students to protest violently. Once the US, who was monitoring the situation realized the strength of the movement it was already to late.
Failed intelligence 100%. Or intentional?
BRUIZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 8:38am   #26
Bruze
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.1%

Thanked 9,851 Times in 4,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptindall View Post
Just imagine how ****ed up everything would get if we adobted Bill Daniels style isolationism by pulling American forces out of everywhere and declaring that we aren't helping any of our allies at all.

There's a WHOLE LOT of real estate between being a global military empire and "isolationism" -- a term made up by the militant left to smear people who are tired of the never-ending and very expensive meddling overseas.

It's all clever propaganda: They have Americans believing that there are only two sides to foreign "aid": Be a global military empire or completely retract from everything. Pick a side, there is no middle ground.

The Founding Fathers were well aware of this problem; these were not stupid men. George Washington had these sentiments, and Thomas Jefferson (3rd president) said in his inaugural address in 1801:

"Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none."

That is, maybe, just an ideal to hold, but it has been long abandoned in favor of global power -- and we are paying for it all.
Bruze is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bruze For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 8:40am   #27
6spdC6
A Real Barner
Activity: 36.7%

Location: NorthernNY! (A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake) in the peoples republic of NY
Thanked 3,415 Times in 1,871 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2115673

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUIZER View Post
The agency mentioned above far FAR underestimated the
islamic movement at that time. The mullah's were utilizing university students to protest violently. Once the US, who was monitoring the situation realized the strength of the movement it was already to late.

Failed intelligence 100%. Or intentional?
Many times on a lot of subjects that crosses my mind!
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 8:44am   #28
Bruze
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettemed View Post
Being not too distantly related to Chimps and Bonobos, we humans have an innate tendency to fight. As humankind has developed technology, that fighting is ever more expensive.

Amassing tax dollars allows the chimps running the show to flex their monkey muscles at the chimps somewhere else.
It's the institution of government that brings all this out, concentrates and empowers the worst traits of mankind, and makes possible the annihilation of entire populations.

Me, nor anyone else I know, has any interest in having enough power to wipe out entire populations. Those desires are only possible to achieve through the vehicle of government.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruze For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 8:46am   #29
ptindall
A Real Barner

Quote:
It's all clever propaganda: They have Americans believing that there are only two sides to foreign "aid": Be a global military empire or completely retract from everything. Pick a side, there is no middle ground.
I guess you don't read Bill Daniels posts where he says to completely retract from everything.
Old 04-19-2024, 8:55am   #30
slewfoot
Barn Stall Owner #118
Activity: 68.7%

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,198 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1002672

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
Trump was brokering peace deals in the Middle East.
Biden wants war.
Yeh and at the same time, sucking on his Dictator buds, Putin and Kim Jong-Un
slewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 9:14am   #31
Bruze
A Real Barner

Quote:
I guess you don't read Bill Daniels posts where he says to completely retract from everything.
No I don't read most of his posts, but the idea of "isolationism" as a propaganda tool used by the "Big War" people isn't new.

I remember the Big War crowd throwing the term at Pat Buchanan some 30 years ago.
Old 04-19-2024, 9:18am   #32
Bruze
A Real Barner

Supposedly the White House is contemplating declaring a "climate change emergency" at some point before the election, which would empower the president with broad war powers unobtainable by any other "emergency." And of course those powers will be used against us -- which is the whole point.

If this isn't the pre-election "Black Swan Event," then it will be something else.
Old 04-19-2024, 9:41am   #33
ptindall
A Real Barner

Quote:
No I don't read most of his posts, but the idea of "isolationism" as a propaganda tool used by the "Big War" people isn't new.

I remember the Big War crowd throwing the term at Pat Buchanan some 30 years ago.
So you don't like that the term exists at all, even though it conveys a particular foreign policy standpoint that we all generally understand? What term do you prefer to use for someone with that viewpoint?
Old 04-19-2024, 9:46am   #34
ptindall
A Real Barner

Quote:
Supposedly the White House is contemplating declaring a "climate change emergency" at some point before the election, which would empower the president with broad war powers unobtainable by any other "emergency." And of course those powers will be used against us -- which is the whole point.
Sure. And what do you estimate are the chances that will actually come to pass?
Old 04-19-2024, 9:59am   #35
Vette40th
A Real Barner
Activity: 18.0%

Thanked 1,569 Times in 818 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3694

All of this is intentional. CIA has been an entity, ie cancer, that has taken over countries for decades. They have been rehired by Europe to crush the USA.
Vette40th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 10:03am   #36
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 74.1%

Thanked 33,509 Times in 11,774 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewfoot View Post
Your TDS appears to be severe. See a physician ASAP.
Steve_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 10:06am   #37
Onebadcad
Barn Stall Owner #116
Doesn't have a big thing
Activity: 99.8%

Thanked 9,233 Times in 4,620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewfoot View Post
Thanks again for proving the point.

rocketboy has been a thorn in the USA for over a decade.

ALL here want a brokered peace, they want the threat to go away.

EVERYONE HAS FAILED, HE CONTINUES TO BE AN AHOLE, AND A MAJOR THREAT.

TRUMP does the best he can, takes it closer than anyone before or after him.

And your ilk now makes fun of it.

EPITOME of having it both ways!!
Onebadcad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Onebadcad For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 10:29am   #38
Kevin68
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 16.9%

Quote:
Nixon really kicked it off in 1971 by delinking the dollar from gold, to help pay for the Vietnam War. The inflation (by .gov controlling the money supply) has been ongoing since (it was before that too, just not as bad).
Nixon's action was for sure a tipping point, but don't forget that 38 years earlier FDR forced people to turn in their gold for pieces of paper so he could print more money for his pet projects. Now, they don't even bother trying to justify their expenditures; just crank up the printing presses and pass the money around.
Kevin68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 10:50am   #39
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,579 Times in 17,300 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Well, just off the top of my head, the Ukraine has NEVER been an ally of the US, so I don't understand why we're funding the killing of White people over there. If you haven't noticed, Whites are a global minority and under attack in almost every homeland they occupy.

And if we're looking at allies, I'd say an important metric is, do the countries that are presumably allies send their kids to die for each other's wars. After we deposed Saddam, after previously supporting him against Iran, then paying James Biden to rebuild the country, is Iraq an ally, or is Iraq just a money pit?

How about Syria? Why did those 4 soldiers from Georgia have to die there? What were they doing there in the first place? And as far as Israel/Gaza.....it's a weird ally relationship where the US borrows money to send to Israel, yet, I can't recall even one time where Israel sent soldiers and war materiel to help us fight OUR wars. Is there something I missed?

Bottom line is, we should have heeded George Washington, who made the reasonable case that America should become strong and independent, and avoid permanent foreign entanglements.

As far as our forward military presence......we could close half the overseas bases, BRAC, repatriate those operations here, and have our southern border defended and shut down tighter than a dick's hatband and still be more well positioned than China/Iran/North Korea/Russia combined. Bonus that all the money that supports those foreign bases would now be spent in America, those dollars would circulate in OUR economy, not the economies of other countries, many of whom don't even like us.

Beyond all that, we're a broke nation. We can no longer afford the yuge foreign footprint by our military. At some point pulling back won't be an option, it will just happen on its own, just like the USSR collapse.

So, modest orderly draw down now, or a redux of the Afghanistan withdrawal on a larger scale? Pick one.

Edit: And with that, I'm going to kermie my own post and request this get moved to PR&C, to honor the spirit of Rob's request.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 11:00am   #40
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 78.1%

Thanked 33,695 Times in 13,651 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Well, just off the top of my head, the Ukraine has NEVER been an ally of the US, so I don't understand why we're funding the killing of White people over there. If you haven't noticed, Whites are a global minority and under attack in almost every homeland they occupy.

And if we're looking at allies, I'd say an important metric is, do the countries that are presumably allies send their kids to die for each other's wars. After we deposed Saddam, after previously supporting him against Iran, then paying James Biden to rebuild the country, is Iraq an ally, or is Iraq just a money pit?

How about Syria? Why did those 4 soldiers from Georgia have to die there? What were they doing there in the first place? And as far as Israel/Gaza.....it's a weird ally relationship where the US borrows money to send to Israel, yet, I can't recall even one time where Israel sent soldiers and war materiel to help us fight OUR wars. Is there something I missed?

Bottom line is, we should have heeded George Washington, who made the reasonable case that America should become strong and independent, and avoid permanent foreign entanglements.

As far as our forward military presence......we could close half the overseas bases, BRAC, repatriate those operations here, and have our southern border defended and shut down tighter than a dick's hatband and still be more well positioned than China/Iran/North Korea/Russia combined. Bonus that all the money that supports those foreign bases would now be spent in America, those dollars would circulate in OUR economy, not the economies of other countries, many of whom don't even like us.

Beyond all that, we're a broke nation. We can no longer afford the yuge foreign footprint by our military. At some point pulling back won't be an option, it will just happen on its own, just like the USSR collapse.

So, modest orderly draw down now, or a redux of the Afghanistan withdrawal on a larger scale? Pick one.

Edit: And with that, I'm going to kermie my own post and request this get moved to PR&C, to honor the spirit of Rob's request.
Agree.

As for the bold part, remember, the Dems think Trump loves Russia so of course they will throw every dollar at an effort to attack a friend of Trump's.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic