Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-26-2018, 11:42am   #1
bill_daniels
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.4%

Thanked 41,069 Times in 17,075 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492
Cool Not on My Watch: Wife Saves Husband after Heart Attack

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-36636715.html

Quote:
Sean Nolan
February 24 2018 11:52 AM

A woman who saved her husband's life by performing CPR on him non-stop for 30 minutes after he suffered cardiac arrest in bed has stressed how important it is for everybody to learn the technique.

Geraldine O'Reilly Bolger, a nurse at St Vincent's Hospital in Dublin, saved her husband Derek's life last summer after he took ill at home in bed on the evening last summer in Stillorgan.

Now she is calling for more and more people to learn the skills, especially school children.

Geraldine was asleep in their Stillorgan home in south Dublin on the night of July 5 last year when she noticed some unusual breathing by Derek at around 12.40am.

Geraldine says: "I gave Derek a dig in the ribs and asked 'Derek are you OK?' I got no response, so I gave him a bigger dig and shouted 'Derek are you OK?' Still no response, so I sat up and turned on my bedside lamp, glanced at Derek, lifted my mobile and dialed 999. I said I need a cardiac ambulance please, my husband is having a cardiac arrest and gave them our address.

"When I had glanced at Derek, he was a purple black colour with dilated black pupils staring up and to the left. The medic on the phone asked me 'is he on a hard surface?'.

"I said 'no he is in the bed'. He said get him on the floor. At this stage I had walked around to Derek's side of the bed. I felt for Derek's pulse and he had a good pulse. So I got him by the ankles and yanked him onto the floor. His body hit the floor with a loud thud. He later developed a large bruise down the left side. His head bounced twice off the floor, I forgot to put a pillow down first. Derek remained unconscious with foaming at the side of the mouth. I said I'm starting CPR."

The man on the end of the 999 call began to tell Geraldine how to perform CPR but she quickly informed him she was an Intensive Care Unit nurse and knew what to do.

"On my first thrust of compression I heard a crunch," Geraldine said. "I knew I'd broken cartilage, but I thought that's good I'm in the right place and doing it hard enough."

Geraldine says that the sheer force of her CPR technique probably helped Derek to survive as he was 'under' for so long.

"It made sure that oxygen still made it to the brain. He was not dying and that was that," she said.

The medic on the phone continued to encourage Geraldine and when the ambulance was nearby he instructed her to run downstairs, turn off the alarm, open the front door and turn on the lights before running back up the stairs to "get back on the chest".

When the ambulance arrived they took over the job of trying to save Derek's life and that is when Geraldine noticed there was "a river of sweat" running down her face.

After 20 minutes a doctor came down to the kitchen where Geraldine was.
Derek's chest after a combination of Geraldine's CPR and the defibrillator pads
Derek's chest after a combination of Geraldine's CPR and the defibrillator pads

"He told me they had shocked Derek nine times, given him adrenaline and other drugs and that they had 'done everything'. It dawned on me then that they were stopping.

"So I pointed up the stairs and said 'well get back up there and keep going, keep going, keep going.' The doctor resumed work and about 15 minutes later he returned to say 'he has an output'.

Derek was brought to Geraldine's place of work, St Vincent's, where he was placed in the ICU ward that she knew so well.

"This was the unit I had worked in for years, but this was the wrong face in the bed," Geraldine said.

Geraldine's husband was sedated and because he had been under cardiac arrest for so long there were concerns about the levels of oxygen starvation to his brain.

Meanwhile, he had first degree burns from the friction of prolonged CPR, as well as fractured ribs.

His chest was also cut and scraped from trying to get the hair off in order to get a clean contact for the defibrillator pads.

Geraldine then noticed that she too had an injury, friction burns on her knees from the prolonged CPR.

After contacting her two young sons who were both abroad last summer and telling them the news, Geraldine returned to hospital to monitor her husband as family and friends arrived to offer support.

On July 7, a nursing colleague burst in to the waiting room to tell Geraldine that her husband was awake and after he was taken off life support, Geraldine went in to see him.

"I said: 'Derek you look fantastic.' He smiled at me and asked 'am I dead?' I said 'no you are not'. Then he looked around his arm for his watch and asked me 'am I late for work?' I said 'no Derek you have today off. He said 'I don't know what happened to me'. I said 'you were a bit sick last night, so I brought you into the hospital and you are absolutely fantastic now.

"'I don't remember anything' he said. I said 'well I remember everything'."

After about a week in the Cardiac Care Unit Derek returned home and is now completely fine. Experts in the field have told Geraldine that anyone who is 'under' for more than 20 minutes usually has some serious issues caused by lack of oxygen to the brain. Derek was under in total for around an hour so Geraldine's CPR technique was vital to both his survival and full recovery.

A consultant the couple met in September told Geraldine “you are a hero, only for you, we would not be having this meeting today" and Geraldine now believes more than ever that CPR at home is vital to save lives.

"It isn't like you see in the movies on TV," Geraldine says. "It is hard and it won't bring them back in 30 seconds but it works and everyone should be given the chance to learn how to do it, starting in schools."
bill_daniels is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bill_daniels For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2018, 12:22pm   #2
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Barn Stall Owner #49
Activity: 2.9%

Thanked 3,963 Times in 2,070 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025197

Five years ago last Saturday my wife was saved by someone with CPR experience when she dropped dead by the side of the road near the beach. No heartbeat, CPR was started immediately and someone across the street who had a defibrillator pack in their truck ran across to start that process. That got her pulse returned and an ambulance just happened to be 3 blocks away! All her angels were in place!

CPR isn't that hard and all it takes is someone nearby to save a life.
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2018, 1:23pm   #3
GS Ragtop
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 0.7%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3243691

This part of the story makes no sense at all.

Quote:
"When I had glanced at Derek, he was a purple black colour with dilated black pupils staring up and to the left. The medic on the phone asked me 'is he on a hard surface?'.

"I said 'no he is in the bed'. He said get him on the floor. At this stage I had walked around to Derek's side of the bed. I felt for Derek's pulse and he had a good pulse. So I got him by the ankles and yanked him onto the floor. His body hit the floor with a loud thud. He later developed a large bruise down the left side. His head bounced twice off the floor, I forgot to put a pillow down first. Derek remained unconscious with foaming at the side of the mouth. I said I'm starting CPR."
WTH would you start CPR on a victim with a 'good pulse'? The intent of CPR is to manually replace the heart's pumping action if it has stopped or is fibrillating.
GS Ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GS Ragtop For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2018, 1:25pm   #4
GS Ragtop
Bantayan Kids '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 View Post
Five years ago last Saturday my wife was saved by someone with CPR experience when she dropped dead by the side of the road near the beach. No heartbeat, CPR was started immediately and someone across the street who had a defibrillator pack in their truck ran across to start that process. That got her pulse returned and an ambulance just happened to be 3 blocks away! All her angels were in place!

CPR isn't that hard and all it takes is someone nearby to save a life.
Wonderful! We live in a Florida community with many retired folks. Our neighborhood of 75 homes has 4 AEDs and 20 of us are trained to provide CPR/AED for sudden collapse victims. In our tests and actual situations, we arrive on-site within 60 seconds of dispatch.
The Following User Says Thank You to GS Ragtop For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2018, 4:04pm   #5
69camfrk
Barn Stall Owner #6969
NCM Supporter '11, '12,'17,'20
Activity: 7.9%

Thanked 11,493 Times in 5,018 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1071547

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Ragtop View Post
This part of the story makes no sense at all.

WTH would you start CPR on a victim with a 'good pulse'? The intent of CPR is to manually replace the heart's pumping action if it has stopped or is fibrillating.
Same question I asked myself. WTFO?
69camfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 69camfrk For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2018, 4:26pm   #6
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 7.2%

Thanked 32,997 Times in 14,148 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17500122

Mrs. DAB saved my life - she insisted i get my ass to the ER. it worked! i'm still here, with a fancy pacemaker.
DAB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 4:57pm   #7
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.8%

Thanked 11,529 Times in 5,686 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
Mrs. DAB saved my life - she insisted i get my ass to the ER. it worked! i'm still here, with a fancy pacemaker.
OH MAN.....shit!!! hope you get outta there soon, in one piece......

get back to chopping wood man.....

mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 5:55pm   #8
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 7.2%

Thanked 32,997 Times in 14,148 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17500122

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
OH MAN.....shit!!! hope you get outta there soon, in one piece......

get back to chopping wood man.....

this was several years ago. i'm fine now. winter 2012 to be exact.
DAB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 7:23pm   #9
GS Ragtop
Bantayan Kids '13

Regardless of the screwy nature of the story, if you haven’t yet learned CPR, do so now! You just might make a difference between life and death for someone you love.

I just read a report on the American Heart Association web site. They tracked almost 4,000 sudden-collapse incidents that occurred outside of a hospital setting. Only 12% survived.

Nationally, the average response time for medical personnel is 20 minutes. Unfortunately, for every minute the heart is not pumping oxygen-rich blood to your brain, your life expectancy lowers by 10%. In 10 minutes, you will be dead. Most cardiac arrest ambulance calls are body pickups.

That’s why learning CPR is so important. YOU REPRESENT THE VICTIM’s ONLY CHANCE FOR SURVIVAL.
The Following User Says Thank You to GS Ragtop For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2018, 2:42am   #10
Sea Six
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 4.3%

Thanked 13,004 Times in 7,316 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $602908

I've done CPR.