Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-10-2014, 9:59am   #81
DukeAllen
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.5%

Thanked 9,186 Times in 4,944 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $10001598

Quote:
Originally Posted by theriver View Post
This wont be like twa flt 800 which was shot down in 130 ft of water with 98% of the plane recovered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
It was a sub?

I have a small, offhanded connection to that flight. An "older woman" (I was 6, she was 8 or 9) that I played spin the bottle with, and who seemed to have a crush on me...years later had just gotten married to a guy that was a passenger on twa800. She was widowed in her early 20s
DukeAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:02am   #82
island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15
Activity: 99.6%

Thanked 8,006 Times in 4,537 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11975076

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecooool View Post
Not everything is a conspiracy Bill. Hell, no group even tried to make a claim that they blew it up. There were hundreds of people involved in the investigation and not a one of them has ever said it was a missile.

It was a spark in the fuel tank. End of very sad story.
Grab some flint and steel and make all the sparks you want, and then tell me how long it took you to make a flame with Jetfuel..
island14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:02am   #83
onedef92
Vette Barn Deacon
Barn Raising II
Activity: 0%

Thanked 9,190 Times in 4,542 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $21169452

Malaysia Airlines Passenger With Stolen Passport Caught on Video
Clues to Plane's Fate Evaporate as Oil Slick and Debris Discounted

HO CHI MINH CITY March 10, 2014—

One of the passengers who used a stolen passport to board the missing Malaysia Airlines passenger jet was a black man, a Malaysian official indicated today.

The investigation into Friday's disappearance of the jetliner with 239 passengers and crew has centered so far around the fact that two passengers used passports stolen from an Austrian and an Italian. The plane which left Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, was headed for Beijing. Three of the passengers, one adult and two children, were American.

Today Malaysia's Civil Aviation Chief Azaharuddin Abdul Rahman said officials had reviewed surveillance tape of the plane's boarding "from check-in right to departure."

"I can confirm that all security protocols had been complied with," he said.

When asked about the two men who used the stolen passports, Rahman replied, "We confirmed now they are not Asian looking males."

When pressed to describe them, he said, "Do you know a footballer by the name of Bartoli? Do you know what he looks like?"

Reporters corrected him asking, "Mario Balotelli?" and asked whether the man with the stolen passport was black. Balotelli, who is black, is an Italian soccer player.

"Yes," Rahman replied.

Rahman refused to further describe the two men.

Rahman also indicated that investigators were not any closer to determining what happened to the Boeing 777 jet, a plane with an excellent safety record, or where the plane was. Samples from an oil slick off the southern coast of Vietnam determined it was not from the plane.

And Vietnam’s National Committee for Search and Rescue told ABC New that an orange object spotted floating in the ocean over the weekend originally thought to be a life raft from the plane had nothing to do with the plane wreckage,

During an earlier press briefing today, a reporter asked Malaysia's Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein about reports that a media personality received an open letter from the leader of Chinese Martyr Brigade claiming responsibility for the incident. When asked about the letter, a Malaysian official said, "Yes, there is sound ground to say it is true, but again, we have said from the beginning that we are not taking anything for granted."

But at the later news conference, Rahman said, "We don’t know what happened to the aircraft, so we cannot speculate... We cannot do guess work."

He said the search area was being expanded to include an additional expanse of ocean as well as land at the northern tip of Malaysia. The search grid was divided into boxes with individual ships assigned to each box. It was now nighttime in Asia, which brought a search by air to a halt. But he said planes would resume crisscrossing the search grid for signs of the plane at daybreak.

Dozens of aircraft and ships have contributed to the search, including crews from Vietnam, China, Singapore, Indonesia, the United States, Thailand, Australia and the Philippines, Rahman said at a press conference today.

The U.S. Navy’s 7th Fleet is using a P-3C Orion marine surveillance aircraft to search in the northern section of the Strait of Malacca today, according to the group’s Facebook page.
onedef92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:09am   #84
onedef92
Vette Barn Deacon
Barn Raising II

Thanked 9,190 Times in 4,542 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $21169452

The Biggest Mysteries of Missing Malaysian Flight MH370
Experts Remain Baffled by Plane's Disappearance

March 9, 2014 — As the search continues for Malaysian Airlines flight MH370, more questions than answers remain about the how the Boeing 777 jetliner could have disappeared.

Since the plane's disappearance early Saturday, revelations about the passenger list and plane's flight plan have left officials scrambling to decipher new complicated clues.

As officials and authorities work to unravel what happened, they remain hampered by the lack of physical evidence including the missing flight data recorder and cockpit voice recorder.

If they can find the wreckage site and especially those two "black boxes" they hope that they will be able to get some answers about how and why the flight disappeared.

Stolen Passports

Perhaps the most troubling mystery surrounding the missing plane is whether two passengers who were travelling on stolen passports played any role in what happened to the jet. Both an Austrian and Italian passenger were listed on the flight manifest, but neither was actually on the plane. Both had their passports stolen in Thailand. Officials are now combing through CCTV footage to identify the passengers who used the fake passports. They said that they had the passengers' faces on camera and were working with international agencies to find out who they were. Additionally two other unnamed passengers have attracted increased scrutiny, but officials didn't say why. "The issue with the passports we have been in touch with the international agencies at the same time our own intelligence has been activated," acting Malaysian Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said. "We are looking at all possibilities." Plane's Disappearance is Baffling Without more information or the missing plane's black boxes, authorities could not confirm or rule out terrorism. Although there is an Interpol database of stolen passports, officials told The Associated Press that no one had checked the database prior to the flight taking off.

Disappeared Midflight

The most dangerous parts of a flight are traditionally the takeoff and landing, but the missing jetliner disappeared about two hours into a six-hour flight, when it should have been cruising safely around 35,000 feet. A flight falling from cruising altitude is incredibly rare and usually a sign of a catastrophic event. "It never happens, an airplane does not just drop out of the sky," ABC News aviation consultant Col. Stephen Ganyard said. Additionally the missing flight was a Boeing 777-200, which is considered a very safe model. That model of plane has been flying commercially for 20 years and only had its first recorded deaths last year after an Asiana Airlines flight crashed, killing three passengers. "We've seen a recent mishap in San Francisco, the Asiana crash, which involved a triple-seven, but in that case it's pretty clear that that was due to pilot error," Ganyard said. The Malaysian aircraft is 11 years and 10 months old and did not have any major safety issues. In 2012 its wingtip was damaged after clipping another airplane at an airport. The last plane to crash at altitude was Air France Flight 447, which crashed during a thunderstorm in the Atlantic Ocean en route from Rio De Janeiro to Paris. That flight, an Airbus A330, was found to have crashed due to a combination of a technical malfunction and pilot error.

No Distress Signal

Another alarming element in the missing plane case is that the pilots never sent a distress or mayday signal before disappearing from radar. If pilots did not even have time to alert air traffic control, experts say that is a likely sign that the event would have been quick and catastrophic. "This is so rare, it is absolutely baffling and it's baffling that we don't have any better answers this long after the mishap actually occurred," ABC News aviation consultant Col. Stephen Ganyard said. The Boeing 777 can fly on just one engine and even if both engines go out, Ganyard said they can be restarted. Additionally Ganyard said the plane has back-up systems that would help prevent electrical failure. In the fatal Air France crash, pilots also did not send a distress signal because they did not realize they were crashing until seconds before impact.

Did it Turn Around?

A day after the flight disappeared the biggest question authorities are asking is did the plane turn around and why? At a press conference today, Malaysia air force chief Rodzali Daud said that the plane may have turned around. "We are trying to make sense of this," Daud said at a news conference. "The military radar indicated that the aircraft may have made a turn back, and in some parts this was corroborated by civilian radar." However, if the plane did turn around midflight the pilots did not inform traffic control as they would be expected to. "From what we have, there was no such distress signal or distress call per se, so we are equally puzzled," said Malaysia Airlines Chief Executive Ahmad Jauhari Yahya. The Malaysian pilots were experienced veterans at the airlines. Zaharie Ahmad Shah, was an experienced 53-year-old pilot who had 18,365 hours of flying since joining the airline in 1981. The first officer on the flight was identified as Fariq Hamid, 27, and had about 2,800 flight hours since 2007.
onedef92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:27am   #85
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64
Activity: 34.6%

Thanked 10,155 Times in 4,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11380138

Why haven't they plastered the faces of the two people with the stolen passports all over the internet?
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:28am   #86
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 8.6%

Thanked 11,553 Times in 5,695 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedef92 View Post
. "From what we have, there was no such distress signal or distress call per se, so we are equally puzzled," said Malaysia Airlines Chief Executive Ahmad Jauhari Yahya. The Malaysian pilots were experienced veterans at the airlines. Zaharie Ahmad Shah, was an experienced 53-year-old pilot who had 18,365 hours of flying since joining the airline in 1981. The first officer on the flight was identified as Fariq Hamid, 27, and had about 2,800 flight hours since 2007.

islam......
mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:33am   #87
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64

Remember that flight from Boston to Cairo that went down over the Atlantic about 15-20 years ago? This was prior to 9/11. The pilot was from Egypt (and of course Muslim) and what wasn't widely reported was that as he dove the plane into the sea he was muttering Islamic prayers and had apparently disabled his co-pilot somehow. I found it strange at the time that they didn't make a bigger deal about it, as the general story pushed to the American people was that it was an accident. If I remember correctly the flight recorder even recorded people banging on the cockpit door and muffled yelling. Perhaps he sent is co-pilot out of the cockpit and then locked him out somehow. This was before the era of reinforced cockpit doors but perhaps the pilot brought something on board that could barricade the door.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:35am   #88
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 8.6%

Thanked 11,553 Times in 5,695 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post
Remember that flight from Boston to Cairo that went down over the Atlantic about 15-20 years ago? This was prior to 9/11. The pilot was from Egypt (and of course Muslim) and what wasn't widely reported was that as he dove the plane into the sea he was muttering Islamic prayers and had apparently disabled his co-pilot somehow. I found it strange at the time that they didn't make a bigger deal about it, as the general story pushed to the American people was that it was an accident.
Honestly, I don't......but no surprise to ME about that islam gig.....
mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:37am   #89
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
Honestly, I don't......but no surprise to ME about that islam gig.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EgyptAir_Flight_990
I was wrong, it was from JFK to Cairo. Flight originated in LA. Egypt Air Flight 990. Crashed in 1999.

The NTSB report said it was intentional, the Egypt investigators denied that possibility and claimed it was due to mechanical failure. The American media did not make much of the intentional aspect from what I remember.

Quote:
The cockpit voice recorder (CVR) recorded the Captain excusing himself to go to the lavatory, followed thirty seconds later by the First Officer saying in Egyptian Arabic "Tawkalt ala Allah", which translates to "I rely on God." A minute later, the autopilot was disengaged, immediately followed by the First Officer again saying, "I rely on God." Three seconds later, the throttles for both engines were reduced to idle, and both elevators were moved three degrees nose down. The First Officer repeated "I rely on God" seven more times before the Captain suddenly asked repeatedly, "What's happening, what's happening?" The flight data recorder reflected that the elevators then moved into a split condition, with the left elevator up and the right elevator down, a condition which is expected to result when the two control columns are subjected to at least 50 pounds (23 kg) of opposing force.[1] At this point, both engines were shut down by moving the start levers from run to cutoff. The Captain asked, "What is this? What is this? Did you shut the engines?" The First Officer did not respond. The Captain repeatedly stated, "Pull with me" but the FDR data indicated that the elevator surfaces remained in a split condition (with the left surface commanding nose up and the right surface commanding nose down) until the FDR and CVR stopped recording. There were no other aircraft in the area. There was no indication that an explosion occurred on board. The engines operated normally for the entire flight until they were shut down. From the presence of a western debris field about 1,200 feet (370 m) from the eastern debris field, the NTSB concluded that the left engine and some small pieces of wreckage separated from the airplane at some point before water impact.[1]
The pilot left the cockpit, and it was the first officer (co-pilot) proceed to crash the plane. My memory was rusty, I didn't remember that the pilot actually came back but was confused initially.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:02am   #90
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 42.4%

Thanked 7,730 Times in 3,440 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by your link
the most likely was a short circuit outside of the CWT that allowed excessive voltage to enter it through electrical wiring associated with the fuel quantity indication system.
That's a LOT different than "a spark".

What island said is absolutely correct... you can shower jet fuel with sparks all day long. It isn't going to light. Excessive voltage most likely equals excessive heat which WILL light it.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:24am   #91
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 42.4%

Thanked 7,730 Times in 3,440 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
I agree. Which is why I posted the link.

Figured a little bit of facts might help. I know. I know. WTH was I thinking.
I misunderstood the intent of your post... seemed like you were commenting against what island said.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:26am   #92
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64

From the evidence I've seen so far, my best guess is that the two guys with the stolen passports were aliens and they called in pickup from the mother ship. The guy operating the transporter beam couldn't tell his fellow aliens apart from the humans due to the aliens being in human form down to the genetic level, and just transported the entire plane instead. The human passengers were quickly gassed and are stored in hibernation for future experiment fodder. Expect alien abductions to drop dramatically for the next several years as they now have a full compliment of test subjects.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:42am   #93
mikeg826
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.5%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $139239

[tinfoil] Maybe it was the NSA, they wanted to take the focus off Snowden's SXSW presentation [/tinfoil]

mikeg826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:50am   #94
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 29.1%

Thanked 33,850 Times in 12,334 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post
the two guys with the stolen passports were aliens and they called in pickup from the mother ship.
Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:02pm   #95
Sea Six
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 3.2%

Thanked 13,007 Times in 7,317 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $602908

See, I'm thinking wormhole.
Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:20pm   #96
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 29.1%

Thanked 33,850 Times in 12,334 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124

suppsedly, 5 passengers checked-in.... but did not board the flight.

question; did their luggage get aboard ?
Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:28pm   #97
MrPeabody
A Real Barner

Thanked 12,309 Times in 5,942 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2214590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mercury View Post
suppsedly, 5 passengers checked-in.... but did not board the flight.

question; did their luggage get aboard ?
I think I heard on some news program that their luggage was removed from the plane. I'm sure the authorities will want to have a talk with those people.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrPeabody For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2014, 12:54pm   #98
69camfrk
Barn Stall Owner #6969
NCM Supporter '11, '12,'17,'20
Activity: 7.2%

Thanked 11,499 Times in 5,023 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1071547

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
That's a LOT different than "a spark".

What island said is absolutely correct... you can shower jet fuel with sparks all day long. It isn't going to light. Excessive voltage most likely equals excessive heat which WILL light it.
That is absolutely true, and nothing can be ruled out. Generally if that happens though, the circuit breaker for the probe will pop. Everything is redundant on aircraft. Also, fuel on many aircraft is used as a "heat sink" to cool off other fluids, etc. running through the airplane. And, as Island said, jet fuel doesn't burn for crap under "normal" circumstances. TWA flight had full fuel tanks which obviously doesn't leave a lot of room for fuel vapors which are more easily ignitable. This plane that just went missing has already passed up WTF status. Even if it came apart in mid air, a debris field should've been spotted already.
69camfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:57pm   #99
99 pewtercoupe
Barn Stall Owner #74
Barn Raising II

Bantayan Kids '13,'17
Activity: 6.1%

Thanked 14,832 Times in 6,552 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $10393746

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69camfrk View Post
This plane that just went missing has already passed up WTF status. Even if it came apart in mid air, a debris field should've been spotted already.
Agreed. Looks more like it went into the water intact (or mostly intact)
Given the number of planes and ships searching, something would have been seen if it came apart in the air
99 pewtercoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 1:14pm   #100
Sea Six
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 3.2%

Thanked 13,007 Times in 7,317 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $602908

The lack of a debris field is the strongest argument so far for the wormhole theory.
Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic