Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  
 
Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2016, 5:23pm   #1
NCC-1701
Barn Stall Owner #1269
Points: 37,667, Level: 100
Activity: 4.2%
 
NCC-1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,628
Thanks: 4,364
Thanked 3,574 Times in 1,432 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $232471
Default Update on the ATI 45..

I went to the range today and shot 200 rounds threw this ATI 45 made in the Philippines and the report is pretty bad. From the 200 rounds I shot about 170 were failure to feed rounds that I had to constantly slam the slide forward. At times if I shot fast all the rounds would feed but when I tried to double tap or single shot the failure to feed occurred. I have ordered from Brownells a colt defender spring and spring guide assembly and two kimber magazines. I am also in the process of polishing the ramp that leads the round to the barrel although I believe that is not the issue. I also ordered an extractor because the brass kept bouncing off my forehead and top of my head the extractor head appears to me to be too short.

On the good side when it shot rite it was great not a lot of kick because the weight of the gun and it was pretty accurate. If these adjustments fix the aforementioned issues I'll be into this thing about 370.00 more or less which is still good.
NCC-1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCC-1701 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 5:25pm   #2
Jeff '79
Barn Stall Owner #2112
Fantasy Football Champ '14,'16
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 121,605, Level: 100
Activity: 0.9%
 
Jeff '79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: WHERE I LAY MY HEAD IS HOME - LEWES DELAWARE
Posts: 39,349
Thanks: 5,702
Thanked 9,242 Times in 5,541 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3034497
Default

Damn! No QC, hu?
Jeff '79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 5:25pm   #3
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Points: 132,387, Level: 100
Activity: 15.1%
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 55,698
Thanks: 10,055
Thanked 20,463 Times in 10,785 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $35000057
Default

i was just looking at the Wilson Combat 1911 Classic - $3,030

that may wait a bit.
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 5:33pm   #4
OddBall
A Real Barner
Points: 50,207, Level: 100
Activity: 36.0%
 
OddBall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Winston Salem NC
Posts: 30,166
Thanks: 10,935
Thanked 10,514 Times in 5,423 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $29466197
Default

You covered the bases that I would have thought.

The only difference that I can see with a rapid fire is that things are heating up, perhaps causing a little expansion in key area's and allowing more freedom to the slide.
OddBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 5:34pm   #5
OddBall
A Real Barner
Points: 50,207, Level: 100
Activity: 36.0%
 
OddBall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Winston Salem NC
Posts: 30,166
Thanks: 10,935
Thanked 10,514 Times in 5,423 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $29466197
Default

I take it that the round is almost seating, instead of stovepiping?
OddBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 5:39pm   #6
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Barn Stall Owner #49
Points: 17,696, Level: 91
Activity: 4.4%
 
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: People's Kollektive of Seattle
Posts: 18,775
Thanks: 14,224
Thanked 3,230 Times in 1,747 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1024057
Default

170 out of 200 fail? Not too bad.... 15% success rate is an Obama Admin celebration!!!!!

If you're ever in a bad place with that gun, hopefully the perp will wait until the percentage turns in your favor!
If not, it's heavy enough to smash his head in!
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 5:47pm   #7
NCC-1701
Barn Stall Owner #1269
Points: 37,667, Level: 100
Activity: 4.2%
 
NCC-1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,628
Thanks: 4,364
Thanked 3,574 Times in 1,432 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $232471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall View Post
I take it that the round is almost seating, instead of stovepiping?
Correct
NCC-1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 5:47pm   #8
NCC-1701
Barn Stall Owner #1269
Points: 37,667, Level: 100
Activity: 4.2%
 
NCC-1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,628
Thanks: 4,364
Thanked 3,574 Times in 1,432 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $232471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 View Post
170 out of 200 fail? Not too bad.... 15% success rate is an Obama Admin celebration!!!!!

If you're ever in a bad place with that gun, hopefully the perp will wait until the percentage turns in your favor!
If not, it's heavy enough to smash his head in!
NCC-1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCC-1701 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 5:49pm   #9
NCC-1701
Barn Stall Owner #1269
Points: 37,667, Level: 100
Activity: 4.2%
 
NCC-1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,628
Thanks: 4,364
Thanked 3,574 Times in 1,432 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $232471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
i was just looking at the Wilson Combat 1911 Classic - $3,030

that may wait a bit.
Don't waste your money...
NCC-1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 5:51pm   #10
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
Bantayan Kids '14,'15,'17
GTMS 18
Points: 44,906, Level: 100
Activity: 3.7%
 
VITE1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Port Saint Lucie FL
Posts: 31,344
Thanks: 15,484
Thanked 8,240 Times in 4,322 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1082418
Default

Check your mags. They are an issue in many 1911's.
VITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VITE1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 5:54pm   #11
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Points: 132,387, Level: 100
Activity: 15.1%
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 55,698
Thanks: 10,055
Thanked 20,463 Times in 10,785 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $35000057
Default

for 45acp, factory ammo will run you about $370/1000. i can go thru 300-400 rounds in a practice session. do that once a month in warm weather, and your ammo costs quickly exceed the cost of the gun. may as well get something you like that you can afford.
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 6:23pm   #12
simpleman68
Barn Stall Owner #17
Barn Raising II

NCM Supporter '12,'14,'15,'16,'17,'19
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS 18
Points: 33,971, Level: 100
Activity: 3.1%
 
simpleman68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bethlehem Pennsyltuckey
Posts: 13,777
Thanks: 2,101
Thanked 6,345 Times in 3,523 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701 View Post
the brass kept bouncing off my forehead...
.
Sorry to hear it is giving you a hard time.

I'm also sorry I laughed when I read the above; I couldn't help it.
Not that it's ever happened to me....
Scott
__________________
2004 M6 MSG
AMR forged 416
10.61 @ 133.24
11.22 @ 128 street tires old motor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCDpFvbMLCM
simpleman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simpleman68 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 6:32pm   #13
bill_daniels
Barn Stall Owner #90125
NCM Supporter '19
Points: 101,010, Level: 100
Activity: 37.2%
 
bill_daniels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston, Tejas, Estados Unidos
Posts: 40,015
Thanks: 11,460
Thanked 14,948 Times in 7,671 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2608731
Default

Serves you right for not buying American.

bill_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 6:51pm   #14
chinaski
A Real Barner
Points: 28,152, Level: 100
Activity: 2.3%
 
chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Earthquakeville
Posts: 8,241
Thanks: 2,324
Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,044 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $101315237
Default

I'm willing to bet it's the Magazines. Try Chip McCormick or Wilson's and I'll bet the problem goes away.

Also, what ammo were you using?
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chinaski For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 7:06pm   #15
OddBall
A Real Barner
Points: 50,207, Level: 100
Activity: 36.0%
 
OddBall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Winston Salem NC
Posts: 30,166
Thanks: 10,935
Thanked 10,514 Times in 5,423 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $29466197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
I'm willing to bet it's the Magazines. Try Chip McCormick or Wilson's and I'll bet the problem goes away.

Also, what ammo were you using?
Not saying it's not the magazine, but if it's not hanging on the magazine and/or stovepiping, I tend to think spring and/or ramp and feed tolerances.

I agree with the ammo brand, that can make a difference.

Do the mags work fine in another weapon, or are they specific to this weapon?
OddBall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OddBall For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 7:20pm   #16
chinaski
A Real Barner
Points: 28,152, Level: 100
Activity: 2.3%
 
chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Earthquakeville
Posts: 8,241
Thanks: 2,324
Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,044 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $101315237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall View Post
Not saying it's not the magazine, but if it's not hanging on the magazine and/or stovepiping, I tend to think spring and/or ramp and feed tolerances.

I agree with the ammo brand, that can make a difference.

Do the mags work fine in another weapon, or are they specific to this weapon?
Could very well be, but I have read reports of reliability issues with the Filipino 1911's caused by cheap sub-par magazines. There was a lot of griping about the Rock Island's having feed issues early on due to their terrible magazines...they have since changed to an Italian manufactured magazine with their newer offerings and the problems seems to have subsided. Mine runs fine with their included Italian magazine, Colt Factory and Chip McCormick 'Shooting Star' mags.

I know his is an ATI, but I would be willing to bet it's made in the same factory as the Rock Islands/Citadel's etc.

If it's any consolation, my Colt Commander was a jam-o-matic until I put around 500 rounds through it...When I was trying to figure out what the problem was, I took it to a very well regarded Gunsmith and he was perplexed, he just told me to keep shooting it. So I did, and it's fine now. Weird.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chinaski For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 7:30pm   #17
JRD77VET
Barn Stall Owner #327
NCM Supporter '16,'17,'19
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS 18
Points: 78,233, Level: 100
Activity: 25.6%
 
JRD77VET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Zionsville,PA
Posts: 38,864
Thanks: 18,655
Thanked 14,625 Times in 6,563 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5970525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITE1 View Post
Check your mags. They are an issue in many 1911's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
I'm willing to bet it's the Magazines. Try Chip McCormick or Wilson's and I'll bet the problem goes away.

Also, what ammo were you using?
It could be as simple as the tension or feed angle of the mags. The 1911 is a mechanism that is precisely timed. Slow down or alter that timing and funky things can happen.

As Chinaski wrote, sometimes simply breaking in a weapon smooths everything out.
JRD77VET is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JRD77VET For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 7:43pm   #18
OddBall
A Real Barner
Points: 50,207, Level: 100
Activity: 36.0%
 
OddBall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Winston Salem NC
Posts: 30,166
Thanks: 10,935
Thanked 10,514 Times in 5,423 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $29466197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Could very well be, but I have read reports of reliability issues with the Filipino 1911's caused by cheap sub-par magazines. There was a lot of griping about the Rock Island's having feed issues early on due to their terrible magazines...they have since changed to an Italian manufactured magazine with their newer offerings and the problems seems to have subsided. Mine runs fine with their included Italian magazine, Colt Factory and Chip McCormick 'Shooting Star' mags.

I know his is an ATI, but I would be willing to bet it's made in the same factory as the Rock Islands/Citadel's etc.

If it's any consolation, my Colt Commander was a jam-o-matic until I put around 500 rounds through it...When I was trying to figure out what the problem was, I took it to a very well regarded Gunsmith and he was perplexed, he just told me to keep shooting it. So I did, and it's fine now. Weird.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD77VET View Post
It could be as simple as the tension or feed angle of the mags. The 1911 is a mechanism that is precisely timed. Slow down or alter that timing and funky things can happen.

As Chinaski wrote, sometimes simply breaking in a weapon smooths everything out.

I've had shitty mags too, and you're right, sometimes just breaking them in does the trick. What confounds me is that the round is making it out of the mag, and I'm assuming making it most of the way into the chamber. At that point is the issue still the mag? It could be, as you suggested the timing could be skewed. Also, it could be a combo of things as well.
I still keep coming back to it cycling ok during rapid fire. That still tells me that there is a lot of heat still in the weapon, expanding things just enough to allow freer movement 'twixt the parts. Maybe some more polishing is needed? Hell it could be the bullets aren't seated in the brass properly, or too little headspace in the chamber.
OddBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 7:44pm   #19
Ol' Timer
Barn Stall Owner #45
Barn Stall Owner #1911

Coffeeholic
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 17,290, Level: 90
Activity: 12.4%
 
Ol' Timer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the Ozarks
Posts: 5,330
Thanks: 1,498
Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,184 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1020712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
i was just looking at the Wilson Combat 1911 Classic - $3,030

that may wait a bit.
You might want to take a look at Gunslingers for a Wilson. I've bought several from George at below list. If he doesn't have what you want, he can order one directly. He also has a layaway plan.
Ol' Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 7:49pm   #20
JRD77VET
Barn Stall Owner #327
NCM Supporter '16,'17,'19
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS 18
Points: 78,233, Level: 100
Activity: 25.6%
 
JRD77VET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Zionsville,PA
Posts: 38,864
Thanks: 18,655
Thanked 14,625 Times in 6,563 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5970525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall View Post
I've had shitty mags too, and you're right, sometimes just breaking them in does the trick. What confounds me is that the round is making it out of the mag, and I'm assuming making it most of the way into the chamber. At that point is the issue still the mag? It could be, as you suggested the timing could be skewed. Also, it could be a combo of things as well.
I still keep coming back to it cycling ok during rapid fire. That still tells me that there is a lot of heat still in the weapon, expanding things just enough to allow freer movement 'twixt the parts. Maybe some more polishing is needed? Hell it could be the bullets aren't seated in the brass properly, or too little headspace in the chamber.
Too tight or too loose? Maybe a burr hanging up just slowing it down enough to be a problem 85% of the time?
JRD77VET is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:57am.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - 2019 The Vette Barn


Support the Barn:
 
Download the Mobile App;
 
Follow us on Facebook:

Become a Stall Owner

 

Apple iOS App        Google Android App

 

Visit our Facebook page