Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-25-2020, 2:30pm   #21
Millenium Vette
Barn Stall Owner #101
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 6.1%

Thanked 2,667 Times in 1,533 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6269655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Several years ago, I took a cruise to the Bahamas for XMAS with my kids. When we stopped in Nassau, I bought a Movado eco-drive watch. As I remember, I spent almost $2500 on it. For a long time I thought I had a fake but as it turns out, it's legit. I've never had it serviced and it now needs it as a feature or two isn't working properly. I took it to my local jeweler that I've dealt with for over 20 years and they said they can't work on it...they sent it to the Movado factory service center in Houston...

They come back with a bill for $1100 to service the watch!

Now, I know that Rolexs, Breitlings and other watches cost a lot of money to service. And while not at that level, Movado is a higher end watch. Does this sound right to all you watch afcionados? If this is in line with what I should be paying, fine. But it just seems a bit steep.

I know, I know...first world problems...
Not much sounds right when it comes to watches. Even if your Movado cost $200 to repair, you would still get the same replies that it costs too much, you can buy a digital Casio for 20 bux, etc. What really matters is how you feel about the watch. From what you said, you like the watch and have memories of buying it while on a trip with your kids. Besides, $1,100 isn't going to change your lifestyle much, so I say go ahead and get it fixed. My guess is they are replacing the movement so you will have a "new" watch when you get it back.

Millenium Vette is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Millenium Vette For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 2:38pm   #22
Nox
A Real Barner
Activity: 1.1%

Thanked 1,676 Times in 634 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $7601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenium Vette View Post
Not much sounds right when it comes to watches. Even if your Movado cost $200 to repair, you would still get the same replies that it costs too much, you can buy a digital Casio for 20 bux, etc. What really matters is how you feel about the watch. From what you said, you like the watch and have memories of buying it while on a trip with your kids. Besides, $1,100 isn't going to change your lifestyle much, so I say go ahead and get it fixed. My guess is they are replacing the movement so you will have a "new" watch when you get it back.

What you say may be true to an extent, but even my Rolex don’t cost $1,100 to service by Rolex themselves. I sent a Jaeger LeCoultre to Le Sentier, Switzerland and it didn’t cost me $1,100. So do I think $1,100 to service a Movado is high? You bet I do, especially if it is going to require it every few years. I had my Rolex Submariner purchased new in 1995, serviced exactly once, and that’s because I dropped it and broke a canon pinion. That set me back $800 for repair and complete CLA. So no, I would not tell IC to buy a digital Casio for $20. But I certainly think Movado’s repair price is way out of line for that tier of watch.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nox For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 2:54pm   #23
Millenium Vette
Barn Stall Owner #101
GTMS ‘18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox View Post
What you say may be true to an extent, but even my Rolex don’t cost $1,100 to service by Rolex themselves. I sent a Jaeger LeCoultre to Le Sentier, Switzerland and it didn’t cost me $1,100. So do I think $1,100 to service a Movado is high? You bet I do, especially if it is going to require it every few years. I had my Rolex Submariner purchased new in 1995, serviced exactly once, and that’s because I dropped it and broke a canon pinion. That set me back $800 for repair and complete CLA. So no, I would not tell IC to buy a digital Casio for $20. But I certainly think Movado’s repair price is way out of line for that tier of watch.
I don't disagree with a word you have said in this thread. And I wasn't thinking of you when I made that Casio reference.

What I AM saying is that the money doesn't always need to make sense when it comes to watches. From what Chef said, he likes his watch. So why not fix it?
Old 07-25-2020, 3:10pm   #24
Nox
A Real Barner

Quote:
I don't disagree with a word you have said in this thread. And I wasn't thinking of you when I made that Casio reference.

What I AM saying is that the money doesn't always need to make sense when it comes to watches. From what Chef said, he likes his watch. So why not fix it?
No, but IC did *ask* if it was in line with what he should be paying. If he likes his watch, he could fix it, but it is it in line with what he *should* be paying? No, not really...

If it’s a battery or storage capacitor, that could be replaced fairly easily by any competent watchmaker. Perhaps it’s a proprietary capacitor. That happened to me with Citizen before and they held me hostage because of the price of the replacement product. But a simple removal and replacement of a fairly standard battery could be easily done while he waited by a competent watchmaker. It shouldn’t cost $1,100.

If it’s a mechanical watch, then it must use an ETA, Sellita, Valjoux or some iteration thereof, and paying $1,100 for service is not in line with what he should be paying.....

So no.. it sure doesn’t make sense to me.
Old 07-25-2020, 3:25pm   #25
Millenium Vette
Barn Stall Owner #101
GTMS ‘18

Quote:
No, but IC did *ask* if it was in line with what he should be paying. If he likes his watch, he could fix it, but it is it in line with what he *should* be paying? No, not really...

If it’s a battery or storage capacitor, that could be replaced fairly easily by any competent watchmaker. Perhaps it’s a proprietary capacitor. That happened to me with Citizen before and they held me hostage because of the price of the replacement product. But a simple removal and replacement of a fairly standard battery could be easily done while he waited by a competent watchmaker. It shouldn’t cost $1,100.

If it’s a mechanical watch, then it must use an ETA, Sellita, Valjoux or some iteration thereof, and paying $1,100 for service is not in line with what he should be paying.....

So no.. it sure doesn’t make sense to me.
Fair enough and as I mentioned before, I don't disagree with a word you have said so far in this thread.

IC mentioned a couple of features not working and referred to it as an "eco-drive" which leads me to believe that it isn't a "museum watch" or that it is an automatic. It's probably some oddball ETA or other quartz movement. He might be able to find a watchmaker who wants to take the time to fiddle around with sourcing the movement and save some money, but for many, including myself, time is more important than money.
Old 07-25-2020, 4:27pm   #26
69camfrk
Barn Stall Owner #6969
NCM Supporter '11, '12,'17,'20
Activity: 7.9%

Thanked 11,493 Times in 5,018 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1071547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder22 View Post
I stopped caring about other's unwanted opinions in high school...
That is 100% truth right there.
69camfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 69camfrk For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 4:28pm   #27
benny42
That One Guy
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 0.8%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
Ultimate Boomer thread.

It's the 21st century. We can carry around a light-weight device that fits in any standard sized pocket and serves as a phone, computer, music player, web browser, camera, and CLOCK.

Maybe your neighbors at the old folk's home can chip in.
And your point is?
benny42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to benny42 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 6:11pm   #28
carlton_fritz
Barn Stall Owner #1991
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 2.9%

Thanked 7,178 Times in 3,520 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $43590365

Quote:
Ultimate Boomer thread.

It's the 21st century. We can carry around a light-weight device that fits in any standard sized pocket and serves as a phone, computer, music player, web browser, camera, and CLOCK.

When I am dirty and sweating like a pig at work, I am not grabbing my phone to see the time. I just have to raise my arm and look at my watch.
carlton_fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carlton_fritz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 7:01pm   #29
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 30,506 Times in 14,292 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108033784

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike6 View Post
It depends what needs to be done. I have taken a course in watchmaking, and disassembled and reassembled a really simple movement. Didn’t clean or lubricate it or anything. Believe me, servicing a quality mechanical watch is lots of work, and takes a lot of time and expertise. That said, a Movado is not a top tier watch. It’s more a fashion watch. And a grand is way too much. When Rolex, Omega and others are less money to service. A really good private watchmaker should be able to do the job for $300 or less.
I've never been a fan of Movado, and always thought they were disposable. NFW would I have paid $2500 for one.
snide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 7:35pm   #30
Nox
A Real Barner

Quote:
Several years ago, I took a cruise to the Bahamas for XMAS with my kids. When we stopped in Nassau, I bought a Movado eco-drive watch. As I remember, I spent almost $2500 on it. For a long time I thought I had a fake but as it turns out, it's legit. I've never had it serviced and it now needs it as a feature or two isn't working properly. I took it to my local jeweler that I've dealt with for over 20 years and they said they can't work on it...they sent it to the Movado factory service center in Houston...

They come back with a bill for $1100 to service the watch!

Now, I know that Rolexs, Breitlings and other watches cost a lot of money to service. And while not at that level, Movado is a higher end watch. Does this sound right to all you watch afcionados? If this is in line with what I should be paying, fine. But it just seems a bit steep.

I know, I know...first world problems...
Please provide more details on the Model of the watch and is it quartz, mechanical or some sort of hybrid? Chrono or standard complications?

Most European watches use fairly standard movements made by ETA, Sellita, or Valjoux. A good watchmaker should be able to service any of the above, for a lot less money than Movado wants to charge.

It absolutely doesn’t surprise me that your jeweler couldn’t service your watch. Most jewelers can’t do much aside from changing out batteries. The few watchmakers on staff I have seen are not very impressive or qualified. If they were, they wouldn’t be working at a jeweler. Kind of like, you wouldn’t find a Cordon Bleu Chef working at McDonald’s, unless he was a raging alcoholic with a gambling addiction, and then who would want anything cooked by a raging alcoholic chef with a gambling addiction?

P.S. My apologies in advance to all you raging alcoholic chefs with gambling addictions. Especially those of you who work at a McDonald’s.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nox For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 7:56pm   #31
Iron Chef
Barn Stall Owner #1
Barn Raising I, II
NCM Supporter '11, '12
Activity: 1.3%

Thanked 8,642 Times in 2,902 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2299270

Quote:
Just buy a new Movado off their site for half of what they are asking to service it. That’s probably your best bet.
OK...sorry for the delay...here’s a follow up. It’s an SE Chronograph made in around 2011. It has what Movado calls a Swiss automatic chronograph movement and has a sapphire crystal.

http://www.watchalyzer.com/movado-wa...nograph-watch/

The features that no longer works is the date doesn’t advance automatically when the watch passes midnight. For that matter, the date advance mechanism on the crown has always been a little flaky. Otherwise it works great. What I meant to say...poorly...that the watch winds by wrist movement. This is not a battery change. I've had it for almost 10 years and it needs to be opened up, cleaned, the date advance repaired, maybe polished.

I may have paid less than $2K...I really don’t remember. NOX: Should I look around for a good watchmaker and see what they want to repair? Otherwise your advice is well heeded. Millenium Vette you’re right: It was a good memory of a good time, but at some point I’ve got to say GEEEEZUS that’s a lot of money!

Quote:
My neighbors at the old folks home would tell you to take Lincoln’s quote about remaining silent to heart more often.

I have an actual Citizen eco-drive (which is also a great watch). I also have several Fossil watches and a Samsung watch that ties to my phone, and a few others. Sometimes, you see something you like and you buy it. Maybe some of you have plans for your next life, but this is my only go round on this planet and I’m going to enjoy an expensive watch. And good wine. And a good steak. And I’ll enjoy them unapologetically.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Iron Chef For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 8:30pm   #32
bigblock427
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 8,962 Times in 3,568 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $7484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strats-N-Vettes View Post
Service guy cried when I wanted my old crystal back.
I suspect they were gonna polish it and resell.
What did you do with it?
bigblock427 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigblock427 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 8:30pm   #33
Millenium Vette
Barn Stall Owner #101
GTMS ‘18

I take back what I said earlier since it is an automatic. A competent watchmaker can likely get it working like new for much less. The issues you are having should not be difficult to fix.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Millenium Vette For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 8:33pm   #34
Nox
A Real Barner

Quote:
OK...sorry for the delay...here’s a follow up. It’s an SE Chronograph made in around 2011. It has what Movado calls a Swiss automatic chronograph movement and has a sapphire crystal.

http://www.watchalyzer.com/movado-wa...nograph-watch/

The features that no longer works is the date doesn’t advance automatically when the watch passes midnight. For that matter, the date advance mechanism on the crown has always been a little flaky. Otherwise it works great. What I meant to say...poorly...that the watch winds by wrist movement. This is not a battery change. I've had it for almost 10 years and it needs to be opened up, cleaned, the date advance repaired, maybe polished.

I may have paid less than $2K...I really don’t remember. NOX: Should I look around for a good watchmaker and see what they want to repair? Otherwise your advice is well heeded. Millenium Vette you’re right: It was a good memory of a good time, but at some point I’ve got to say GEEEEZUS that’s a lot of money!

I’m going to say you have a Valjoux 7750 movement. A watchmaker worth his salt can certainly service them. The number one cause of date advance issues on a Valjoux 7750 is trying to set the date around the midnight hour. You should NEVER attempt to set the date around midnight. As a rule, I always set my date with the hands showing the 6 o’clock hour. It’s not a complicated fix, and with a CLA, it should not cost more than $250 to $300 to fix. At least, that’s what my watchmaker would probably charge me.

Get the watch back and have some local watchmaker fix it. That would be my recommendation.
Old 07-25-2020, 8:34pm   #35
carlton_fritz
Barn Stall Owner #1991
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 2.9%

Thanked 7,178 Times in 3,520 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $43590365

Had this one listed on FB Marketplace a while back. No bites. It's a beautiful watch, but I prefer wearing my Tissot.
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail.jpg  

carlton_fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 8:35pm   #36
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 30,506 Times in 14,292 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108033784

Quote:
Maybe some of you have plans for your next life, but this is my only go round on this planet and I’m going to enjoy an expensive watch. And good wine. And a good steak. And I’ll enjoy them unapologetically.

snide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snide For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 8:39pm   #37
Nox
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strats-N-Vettes View Post
Service guy cried when I wanted my old crystal back.
I suspect they were gonna polish it and resell.
The only reason they would want to keep your crystal was if it was a vintage Sub with an acrylic crystal. They don’t try and polish sapphire crystals. If you had a vintage Sub with an acrylic crystal, you seriously needed to not change that crystal and just buff out any scratches. That original crystal could add a lot to your Sub’s value.

Rolex no longer uses acrylic crystals, but those old vintage Subs with plastic crystals are worth much more than a brand new one with a sapphire crystal. Most collectors think they look a lot better aesthetically.
Attached Thumbnails
065A1FF8-1E27-489C-9BDB-FC492C44C6B6.jpeg  

C62BDA0A-93D8-4910-B9BE-F0486F403B1E.jpeg  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nox For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 9:01pm   #38
Iron Chef
Barn Stall Owner #1
Barn Raising I, II
NCM Supporter '11, '12
Activity: 1.3%

Thanked 8,642 Times in 2,902 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2299270

Quote:
I take back what I said earlier since it is an automatic. A competent watchmaker can likely get it working like new for much less. The issues you are having should not be difficult to fix.

I'm going to look into that!

Quote:
Get the watch back and have some local watchmaker fix it. That would be my recommendation.
Thanks Nox, much appreciated. Give a hug to your sweetie for me.
Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 7:35am   #39
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 7,050 Times in 3,110 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $46272

I went into all those shops in Nassua on a cruise, too. I was tempted and wanted a Breitling, but just couldn't pull the trigger for some reason.

I was big into Formula One racing in the '90s and later bought a special edition Tag Heuer anniversary tribute with a subdued black checkered face. It really needs a professional cleaning now. I don't wear it anymore, but would like it cleaned and serviced.
Grey Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grey Ghost For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2020, 7:56am   #40
Strats-N-Vettes
SOME Real Barner
Activity: 8.1%

Thanked 25,339 Times in 9,150 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2034428

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock427 View Post
What did you do with it?
Quote:
The only reason they would want to keep your crystal was if it was a vintage Sub with an acrylic crystal. They don’t try and polish sapphire crystals. If you had a vintage Sub with an acrylic crystal, you seriously needed to not change that crystal and just buff out any scratches. That original crystal could add a lot to your Sub’s value.

Rolex no longer uses acrylic crystals, but those old vintage Subs with plastic crystals are worth much more than a brand new one with a sapphire crystal. Most collectors think they look a lot better aesthetically.

Watch is 1988, crystal changed in 1989 or 90.
The crystal is in the watch box.
Strats-N-Vettes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strats-N-Vettes For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic