Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-29-2018, 4:24pm   #1
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 90.6%

Thanked 41,264 Times in 17,158 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492
Default US Coast Guard, the Shutdown, and You: Trump Makes Sure Coasties Get Paid

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...rd-in-shutdown

Quote:
Trump personally intervened to pay Coast Guard in shutdown
by Paul Bedard
| December 29, 2018 11:21 AM

Print this article

Concerned about U.S. Coast Guard forces losing a paycheck in the partial government shutdown, President Trump personally urged his team to find a solution that would allow the administration to make this week’s $75 million payroll, according to officials.

Trump stepped in on Wednesday, calling on top lawyers and staffers to determine if the Coast Guard could make payroll despite being included in the shutdown that has impacted about 25 percent of the government, including the Department of Homeland Security, which houses the Coast Guard.

Military personnel under the Department of Defense are not included in the shutdown, because their appropriations were approved earlier in Congress.

Officials said that Trump was keen to find a “way we can fix this” as news media stories about the Coast Guardsmen's plight started to pile up.

At his urging, the Office of Management and Budget, DHS and the Coast Guard determined that the rules governing pay to Coast Guard forces requires it be made through the end of the year. To make it, the lawyers said that unused funding could be tapped for pay. The service had a bit more than the needed $75 million left over from its past continuing resolution appropriation, enough to make this month’s last payroll check.

“The president is trying to make the shutdown as painless as possible for workers, and this case proved it,” said an official.

The administration also sped up check writing in other cases and was able to deliver this week a payroll check to furloughed federal employees for time worked up to the shutdown, which began Dec. 22.

In a email to Coast Guard forces, Vice Commandant Adm. Charles Ray said, “This is outstanding news for our military workforce.”

In explaining the temporary solution for the next paycheck, though not subsequent checks should the shutdown drag on, the Coast Guard’s All Hands blog wrote:

"Will Coast Guard members get paid on Dec. 31? Yes, the Administration, the Department of Homeland Security, and the Coast Guard have identified a way to pay our military workforce on Dec. 31, 2018. This one-time action applies to military members that served on active duty in the month of December and those reserve military members that drilled prior to the lapse in appropriation."

"If you were an active duty military member in December, then you will receive your monthly paycheck on Dec. 31, 2018. That paycheck will include all of the normal pay and allowance benefits (e.g. basic pay, BAH, BAS, etc.)."

"If you were a reservist that served on active duty during the month of December, you will also receive your monthly paycheck on Dec. 31, 2018 and it will include all of your normal pay and allowance entitlements."

"Finally, if you were a reservist that conducted reserve training prior to Dec. 21, 2018, then you will receive the appropriate pay and allowance entitlements on Dec. 31, 2018."

"Will I get paid on Jan. 15? This approval only covers the Dec. 31, 2018 paycheck. It does not guarantee a paycheck on Jan. 15, 2019. Meeting active duty and reserve military payroll for January 2019 will require a fiscal year 2019 appropriation, a continuing resolution, or passage of an alternative measure."

"Why the change from earlier guidance that indicated the Coast Guard military members would not be paid on Dec. 31? Generally, the Coast Guard lacks the authority to pay its members during a lapse in appropriations. The circumstances of this lapse are unique because of the timeline of the lapse in relation to the military pay process. Ultimately, extensive research and legal analysis between the Coast Guard, DHS, and OMB determined the Coast Guard has the authority to execute the remainder of pay and allowances for December."

"Will retirees get paid? Retirees will get paid Dec. 31. However if this lapse in appropriations continues into February, they may not get paid their future installments. VA payments should not be affected by this lapse in appropriations."
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 4:30pm   #2
Sea Six
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 3.2%

Thanked 13,007 Times in 7,317 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $602908

We are paying $25B annually to maintain vacant Federal buildings - per FoxNews live broadcast this morning.

How about we sell off a few of these, and take (1) the $$ales proceeds plus (2) the annual maintenance $$avings and build a fukkin' wall?
Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sea Six For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2018, 4:35pm   #3
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 9.0%

Thanked 33,021 Times in 14,161 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17500122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Six View Post
We are paying $25B annually to maintain vacant Federal buildings - per FoxNews live broadcast this morning.

How about we sell off a few of these, and take (1) the $$ales proceeds plus (2) the annual maintenance $$avings and build a fukkin' wall?
i've inspected some of those. many are in great downtown locations, near shopping, transportation, and other cultural activities.
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 5:00pm   #4
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Six View Post

Senator Diane Feinstein (D-China) will vote for this.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-in-on-crisis/
Old 12-29-2018, 5:02pm   #5
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

And speaking of Coasties, where is @Montehall, our favorite, yet AWOL Coastie????????
Old 12-29-2018, 5:36pm   #6
Montehall
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,546 Times in 676 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $89945

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
And speaking of Coasties, where is @Montehall, our favorite, yet AWOL Coastie????????
Long story short: I was involuntarily, yet honorably discharged from the Coast Guard on November 5th. I had 16 years and 2 months in. The excuse was High-year tenure, which was because I hadn't advanced past E5 yet. The CG denied my request for a waiver, but, as a "favor" gave me an RE3 re enlistment code, which means I could renlist with a waiver. This also meant they didn't owe me separation pay. That waiver was denied too.

A month before christmas, with a 4 month old son, I got my dd214. No job, no separation pay, and 4 years until retirement and a pension.

So **** the Coast Guard and the military in general.

How have you been?
Montehall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Montehall For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2018, 5:54pm   #7
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montehall View Post
Long story short: I was involuntarily, yet honorably discharged from the Coast Guard on November 5th. I had 16 years and 2 months in. The excuse was High-year tenure, which was because I hadn't advanced past E5 yet. The CG denied my request for a waiver, but, as a "favor" gave me an RE3 re enlistment code, which means I could renlist with a waiver. This also meant they didn't owe me separation pay. That waiver was denied too.

A month before christmas, with a 4 month old son, I got my dd214. No job, no separation pay, and 4 years until retirement and a pension.

So **** the Coast Guard and the military in general.

How have you been?
Damn. Very sorry to hear that. Could another service branch take you? You were doing something with electronics, right? That skill set ought to be transferable. I'd also suggest writing your congressman and senators, to ask them for help. There must be a way for you to not lose a pension you are 80% of the way toward. Would a federal civil service job qualify to make up the difference? I know hiring for federal jobs is heavily weighted toward veterans.

Still got the menagerie of animals?

Edit: Everything is much the same with me, just taking care of an elderly relative in addition to the usual, so that's been a challenge. Also there was a live in g/f, and then NOT a live in g/f, so there was that.
Old 12-29-2018, 6:26pm   #8
Montehall
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,546 Times in 676 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $89945

Yes, I was an Electronics Technician, and have been searching for that field here in Buffalo.
And federal job will count towards my pension, and I've been mulling over working at the post office, since it would only be for four years.

No animals anymore. I divorced her.
Just have two dogs, and a 5 month old son and 9 year old daughter.
Montehall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Montehall For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic