Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-21-2024, 5:57pm   #2721
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,570 Times in 10,678 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
I can precondition my seats and interior temp as well. Has zero to do with type of propulsion.
Than what is the problem?
LATB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 9:15pm   #2722
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner
Activity: 52.9%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
Than what is the problem?
There is no problem. My hot seat was in reference to seat temp if you are not preconditioning.
With white seats, there is no need to do that. White seats never exceed the air temp in the car unlike the black leather seats in my F150 which were a lot hotter than the air in the cabin. There was no way to precondition the truck from afar as I could only turn on the truck when I was in key fob range and that's not enough time to cool down the cabin. There was no app to start the truck from my office so that it would be cooled down by the time I get to it. I had to be in key fob range which is like 30 feet or so. The truck won't be cool in the time it takes to walk 30 feet.
GrandSportC3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 9:28pm   #2723
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
There is no problem. My hot seat was in reference to seat temp if you are not preconditioning.
With white seats, there is no need to do that. White seats never exceed the air temp in the car unlike the black leather seats in my F150 which were a lot hotter than the air in the cabin. There was no way to precondition the truck from afar as I could only turn on the truck when I was in key fob range and that's not enough time to cool down the cabin. There was no app to start the truck from my office so that it would be cooled down by the time I get to it. I had to be in key fob range which is like 30 feet or so. The truck won't be cool in the time it takes to walk 30 feet.
So pre-cooling the truck for a few minutes is a problem but waiting an hour to charge the EV battery is fine?

You actually took temperature readings of the cabin air and separately the seat surface?
Old 04-22-2024, 7:03am   #2724
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
So pre-cooling the truck for a few minutes is a problem but waiting an hour to charge the EV battery is fine?

You actually took temperature readings of the cabin air and separately the seat surface?
Don't need to take the temp. My butt feels the difference. I don't "wait" for my battery to charge. I charge at places that I go anyways like kids playground, Restaurants, Whole Foods place.
Waiting 10 mins for the car to cool down at the end of my work day can make a huge difference in commute time as traffic gets worse every minute.
Old 04-22-2024, 7:45am   #2725
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
Don't need to take the temp. My butt feels the difference.
Your butt can feel the difference between the seat temp and the cabin air temp?
Quote:
I don't "wait" for my battery to charge. I charge at places that I go anyways like kids playground, Restaurants, Whole Foods place.
You may be eating at the same time but the car is still waiting on the charge.
Quote:
Waiting 10 mins for the car to cool down at the end of my work day can make a huge difference in commute time as traffic gets worse every minute.
It doesn't take 10 minutes, just a couple minutes. Personally I don't wait. Sometimes in the heat or cold I will use the fob to start the truck a minute before but that is usually for heat not cold.
Many times the truck will be in the July/August scorching heat and I will "have to go" and hop in, fire up the AC and cooled seats on Max and roll...
Not that big of a deal to me.
Old 04-22-2024, 8:24am   #2726
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Your butt can feel the difference between the seat temp and the cabin air temp?

You may be eating at the same time but the car is still waiting on the charge.

It doesn't take 10 minutes, just a couple minutes. Personally I don't wait. Sometimes in the heat or cold I will use the fob to start the truck a minute before but that is usually for heat not cold.
Many times the truck will be in the July/August scorching heat and I will "have to go" and hop in, fire up the AC and cooled seats on Max and roll...
Not that big of a deal to me.
At least I can feel the difference. When my F150 with black leather seats sat in the sun for hours in summer, I would literally burn my butt. When my Model Y or Model X would sit in direct sunlight, the cabin would be super hot but I would not burn my butt. So, there definitely is a huge difference that I noticed. Never took actual measurements.. I know that the max cabin temp reaches about 130 degrees when sitting in the sun.
I don't charge to a particular level when I go to places. I leave whenever I'm done what I was doing.. Like when the kids finish playing, when I finished my meal. I don't wait for the charge to finish. There is no specific charge level I'm charging to unless I'm on a road trip. Sometimes, my car is 70% when I plug in and 78% when I plug out. It really doesn't matter when I'm around town. If I need more charge than I got from the free charges around town, I plug in at night. Usually, those free charges are enough but if they aren't, I can always plug in at home. A FULL charge from 0 - 100% is $6, so it's not expensive in any way. I just charge at free chargers when it's convenient.
Old 04-22-2024, 8:30am   #2727
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
When my F150 with black leather seats sat in the sun for hours in summer, I would literally burn my butt.
Literally?
Old 04-22-2024, 8:34am   #2728
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 73.0%

Thanked 33,525 Times in 11,781 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
Literally?
I'm throwing the BS flag on that.
Steve_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 9:31am   #2729
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Literally?
What I mean that it was so hot that it hurt my butt.. You know what I mean.
Never had such thing happen with white seats and my car has been sitting in direct sunlight for hours.
Old 04-22-2024, 9:58am   #2730
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
What I mean that it was so hot that it hurt my butt.. You know what I mean.
Never had such thing happen with white seats and my car has been sitting in direct sunlight for hours.
No I don’t know what you mean. I do know that you have moved the goal posts on this a few times.
There are millions of vehicles with black seats and I have never heard of a case where someone’s butt was hurt because of the seats were too hot.

In today’s woke politically correct litigious world black seats would have been outlawed if people were having butt hurt issues.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 10:33am   #2731
Onebadcad
Barn Stall Owner #116
Doesn't have a big thing
Activity: 99.8%

Thanked 9,244 Times in 4,627 Posts

Quote:
No I don’t know what you mean. I do know that you have moved the goal posts on this a few times.
There are millions of vehicles with black seats and I have never heard of a case where someone’s butt was hurt because of the seats were too hot.

In today’s woke politically correct litigious world black seats would have been outlawed if people were having butt hurt issues.
I think the ass on fire problem has very little to do with the seat color.
Onebadcad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Onebadcad For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 10:38am   #2732
Onebadcad
Barn Stall Owner #116
Doesn't have a big thing

Hmmmmm, bringing back up the unscrupulous advertising in the car sales industry.

Go to telsa site and explain to me what the $6,500 gas savings for five years is, and why does that impact the msrp.
The Following User Says Thank You to Onebadcad For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 10:40am   #2733
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 7,746 Times in 3,823 Posts

Quote:
Bullshit.
I've had 'white seats' in my '67 GTO for the past 31 years and they get just has hot as the dark seats I have in my other GTO's. I've been driving longer than you've been on the planet. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1658.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	944.3 KB
ID:	100488
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GTOguy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 4:00pm   #2734
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
Bullshit.
I've had 'white seats' in my '67 GTO for the past 31 years and they get just has hot as the dark seats I have in my other GTO's. I've been driving longer than you've been on the planet. Attachment 100488
Old 04-22-2024, 4:05pm   #2735
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 7,746 Times in 3,823 Posts

GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 5:51pm   #2736
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
same test with leather.. black is 20 degrees hotter than white leather when exposed to the sun

Obviously, this applies only to the part of the material directly exposed to the sunlight. Shady parts of the interior will be same as air temperature regardless of interior color. It is the sun's UV light that heats up darker materials more, so, the difference applies to the sun exposed parts of the seats.
Old 04-23-2024, 9:59am   #2737
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 25.2%

Thanked 7,759 Times in 3,454 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
All of my cars and my truck have black leather interiors. All have cooled seats that are automatic when you use the fob to start and are plenty cool by the time you get to the car even on the hottest day. It takes about 20 seconds. In the winter, they are auto-warming.

Even if that wasn't the case, on modern cars, white interiors are hideous and inevitably look like sh*t if you are a person that actually works and is dirty on occasion. I'd rather be hot for 10 seconds than have to deal with that nonsense.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 10:02am   #2738
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 73.0%

Thanked 33,525 Times in 11,781 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
same test with leather.. black is 20 degrees hotter than white leather when exposed to the sun

https://youtu.be/uBn4oqgCbfQ?si=iyHwZAzXZohf0x3Y

Obviously, this applies only to the part of the material directly exposed to the sunlight. Shady parts of the interior will be same as air temperature regardless of interior color. It is the sun's UV light that heats up darker materials more, so, the difference applies to the sun exposed parts of the seats.

Wait, what? Stop the presses, this is big news! HUGE NEWS! Dark colors absorb heat more efficiently than light colors. Who knew?

So you're saying that white seats and black seats are the same temp inside a car unless the sun is shining directly on them? I'm shocked, SHOCKED I tell ya.
Steve_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 10:06am   #2739
Onebadcad
Barn Stall Owner #116
Doesn't have a big thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
All of my cars and my truck have black leather interiors. All have cooled seats that are automatic when you use the fob to start and are plenty cool by the time you get to the car even on the hottest day. It takes about 20 seconds. In the winter, they are auto-warming.

Even if that wasn't the case, on modern cars, white interiors are hideous and inevitably look like sh*t if you are a person that actually works and is dirty on occasion. I'd rather be hot for 10 seconds than have to deal with that nonsense.
Gotta agree with you, as I would NEVER buy a car with a white interior.
I have owned mostly black, my C7Z has red seats and red and black interior accents, I would go with that again.

As far as my rules for exterior colors, must be black but prefer a metallic black.
I can live with gray, or possibly red,,, blue would be a consideration if the hue was good.

My C7Z is white, which I like, mostly because I got a very good used price on it, but white is far from the top of my favored list.

AGAIN, NEVER WHITE INTERIOR, have never seen one I liked, well except for a Rolls, but I AM NOT a Rolls dood.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:27pm   #2740
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
Wait, what? Stop the presses, this is big news! HUGE NEWS! Dark colors absorb heat more efficiently than light colors. Who knew?

So you're saying that white seats and black seats are the same temp inside a car unless the sun is shining directly on them? I'm shocked, SHOCKED I tell ya.
I wasn't the one claiming that there is little difference. There is a HUGE difference in seat temperature between black and white seats and some in this thread seemed to deny that.
See post 2733.. Total denial that white seats stay cooler when the car sits in the sun.
All that I said was that I prefer white interior over black as I don't like burning my butt. I know that I burnt my butt on black seats after it was exposed to the sun for a while and I never ever had that issue with white seats. This is NOT considering preconditioning. Not all cars have cooled seats. Most actually don't.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic