Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-22-2022, 6:42pm   #321
Bruze
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.1%

Thanked 9,669 Times in 3,983 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLifeinMI View Post
If you want to avoid auto start/stop, want dual zone climate, keyless ignition, AWD, etc. in a mid-size, you might consider either a Mazda CX-5 (CUV) or CX-50 (little more geared for offroad; still no Jeep). Quality has been Toyota/Lexus level for a few years now, and while they still have an old-school 6-speed auto, at least it's not a CVT. 2.0L turbo has decent power, and build quality/interior materials are top rate. I've had a CX-5 for almost a year now, and so far it's been completely flawless.
I looked at Mazda online a while back, but had mostly forgotten about them. I will go back and look -- thanks!

Midsized is what I want. I'm done hauling coal, plywood, firewood, etc. so I no longer need a pickup. I do need 4- or AWD though because of where I live.

Other than getting groceries, taking a few bags to the dumps or stuff like that, I'm fine. Whatever I end up getting, I will probably have them install a hitch before I pick it up, just in case I move or something, which is likely.
Bruze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 6:48pm   #322
VatorMan
Barn Stall Owner #122
NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'17
Activity: 9.4%

Thanked 8,398 Times in 4,251 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1158963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruze View Post
I looked at Mazda online a while back, but had mostly forgotten about them. I will go back and look -- thanks!

Midsized is what I want. I'm done hauling coal, plywood, firewood, etc. so I no longer need a pickup. I do need 4- or AWD though because of where I live.

Other than getting groceries, taking a few bags to the dumps or stuff like that, I'm fine. Whatever I end up getting, I will probably have them install a hitch before I pick it up, just in case I move or something, which is likely.
You might look at Subaru as well. We recently got an Ascent that has all the decent bells and whistles. I put on a hitch myself and saved some coin. Extremely easy to do.
Attached Thumbnails
C57B009E-3291-42D0-8349-09B037D39428.jpg  

VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VatorMan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2022, 7:35pm   #323
Bruze
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
You might look at Subaru as well. We recently got an Ascent that has all the decent bells and whistles. I put on a hitch myself and saved some coin. Extremely easy to do.
Ha, good friends of mine both have Soobies, have had several, and love them (they are both liberals, haha).

She pushes them on me a bit too much, so I'm shying away from buying one just for that reason. But it's not off the table because I know they are good cars.

He told me that AWDs are not all the same, but Soobs work very well in snow, which is both of our concerns. They have a steep uphill driveway, 60-80' long and their cars walk up them in a foot of snow, no problem. Before I knew them, they had a Cherokee which he said was no match for the Soob in the snow.
Old 08-22-2022, 8:07pm   #324
Bruze
A Real Barner

Quote:
If you want to avoid auto start/stop, want dual zone climate, keyless ignition, AWD, etc. in a mid-size, you might consider either a Mazda CX-5 (CUV) or CX-50 (little more geared for offroad; still no Jeep). Quality has been Toyota/Lexus level for a few years now, and while they still have an old-school 6-speed auto, at least it's not a CVT. 2.0L turbo has decent power, and build quality/interior materials are top rate. I've had a CX-5 for almost a year now, and so far it's been completely flawless.
Ha, well here we go again.

I went to Mazda and built one and throughout the whole process, right to the end, there was no mention of the following -- either standard or optional, unless I missed them:

AC or climate control
Keyless ignition
Start/stop

I'm assuming probably everything today comes with at least intermittent wipers and AC, but no mention of either unless I missed it.

If these multi-billion dollar companies had a brain, the sites would be set up something like this:

Enter car and price range

Enter "must have" items

Enter "cannot have" items.

Click "Search" and it brings up whatever matches those terms, and then you work forward from that point. But NONE OF THEM WORK LIKE THIS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: So I go all the way through and search for locally available cars. FINALLY, there is a big list of things the car actually comes with. LINK

It has intermittent wipers and AC.

Also "cylinder deactivation." Didn't they try that in newer Corvettes but dropped it? Don't remember for sure.

Mid-Life-Guy: Does yours have that? Any problems with it?
Old 08-22-2022, 8:13pm   #325
Thunder22
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.3%

Thanked 2,770 Times in 1,283 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $216475

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post
My wife (ex) has owned three generations of Tahoe and has loved each one. No real issues. Fuel relay on one.
Rock solid and will go 200k miles with proper maintenance.
Thunder22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunder22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2022, 8:18pm   #326
VatorMan
Barn Stall Owner #122
NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'17
Activity: 9.4%

Thanked 8,398 Times in 4,251 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1158963

Quote:
Ha, good friends of mine both have Soobies, have had several, and love them (they are both liberals, haha).

She pushes them on me a bit too much, so I'm shying away from buying one just for that reason. But it's not off the table because I know they are good cars.

He told me that AWDs are not all the same, but Soobs work very well in snow, which is both of our concerns. They have a steep uphill driveway, 60-80' long and their cars walk up them in a foot of snow, no problem. Before I knew them, they had a Cherokee which he said was no match for the Soob in the snow.
Yeah, the value of the vehicle and mainly because they were the ONLY dealership not charging a markup made me cringe and buy it. Lol. I have to say, it has impressed me. It has a turbo boxer engine rated at 260 hp. 3 rows, 2 of them captain seats, heated steering wheel and seats.
Did tell the wife if she got hit on she has to send me a pic so I can tell her to say no or not.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VatorMan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2022, 8:31pm   #327
MikeB
Barn Stall Owner #115
Activity: 16.2%

Thanked 4,967 Times in 2,241 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $610854

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
There are several products that elminiate the annoying AutoStop feature permanently or invert the operation (e.g. its OFF by default and you have to push the button manually to activate it). I just put one in a Honda Ridgeline for a friend and have run one in my Dodge Durango for years, they are pretty much "plug and play":

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/

Be careful though the one above will NOT set any DTC diagnostic codes, some of the Chiwanese versions WILL.

Got it in my '19 EdgeST.

Good product.
Highly recommended.
Plug and play.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 8:40pm   #328
MidLifeinMI
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 1.8%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $501227

Quote:
Ha, well here we go again.

I went to Mazda and built one and throughout the whole process, right to the end, there was no mention of the following -- either standard or optional, unless I missed them:

AC or climate control
Keyless ignition
Start/stop

I'm assuming probably everything today comes with at least intermittent wipers and AC, but no mention of either unless I missed it.

If these multi-billion dollar companies had a brain, the sites would be set up something like this:

Enter car and price range

Enter "must have" items

Enter "cannot have" items.

Click "Search" and it brings up whatever matches those terms, and then you work forward from that point. But NONE OF THEM WORK LIKE THIS.
Mazda's trim levels keep getting more confusing every year. Mine is a 2021 model, I have the Grand Touring Reserve trim which is the 2nd from top ("Signature" is (was) top trim). This year, they changed all the designations again, but for your wishlist/must-haves, here is where you are:

AWD - standard on all levels
Keyless entry - standard on all levels
Start/stop - Mazda doesn't incorporate this, so no worries there
AC standard; dual-zone climate on "S Select" trim and above

Other things to note with Mazda:
  • 10.25" infotainment is on all models, but note that it is NOT a touchscreen - it's controlled by a knob on the console. A bit inconvenient, but easy to get used to.
  • LED headlights standard on all models. Adaptive (steerable) lights are on higher trim levels.
  • Most of their safety nannies (BSM, lane departure warning, emergency braking, adaptive cruise) are std across the line.
  • You'll want the turbo - 252HP vs around 185 on NA engine.
MidLifeinMI is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MidLifeinMI For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2022, 8:53pm   #329
MidLifeinMI
Vette Barn Crew

Quote:
EDIT: So I go all the way through and search for locally available cars. FINALLY, there is a big list of things the car actually comes with. LINK

It has intermittent wipers and AC.

Also "cylinder deactivation." Didn't they try that in newer Corvettes but dropped it? Don't remember for sure.

Mid-Life-Guy: Does yours have that? Any problems with it?
If it has it, I've never noticed. I'm not sure if the turbo has it, or just the base engine (EDIT: CD is on non-turbo only). As a data point for you, we just finished a 2 week, 4000 mile trip from IL to WY and back, and averaged just over 28mpg for the trip. I was pretty happy with that, especially considering the 75- and 80mph speed limits.

One surprising like: the Mazda is definitely a "driver's SUV". It handles better than ANY SUV I've ever driven, and better than many so-called "Sport" sedans. "Zoom-zoom" is still a thing.

My biggest complaint, in 11 months/14K miles - seat bottoms are REALLY hard. I hear they've tried to address that in the 2023 models, but haven't verified that.
The Following User Says Thank You to MidLifeinMI For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2022, 9:47pm   #330
Bruze
A Real Barner

Quote:
Mazda's trim levels keep getting more confusing every year. Mine is a 2021 model, I have the Grand Touring Reserve trim which is the 2nd from top ("Signature" is (was) top trim). This year, they changed all the designations again, but for your wishlist/must-haves, here is where you are:

AWD - standard on all levels
Keyless entry - standard on all levels
Start/stop - Mazda doesn't incorporate this, so no worries there
AC standard; dual-zone climate on "S Select" trim and above

Other things to note with Mazda:
  • 10.25" infotainment is on all models, but note that it is NOT a touchscreen - it's controlled by a knob on the console. A bit inconvenient, but easy to get used to.
  • LED headlights standard on all models. Adaptive (steerable) lights are on higher trim levels.
  • Most of their safety nannies (BSM, lane departure warning, emergency braking, adaptive cruise) are std across the line.
  • You'll want the turbo - 252HP vs around 185 on NA engine.
Thanks for the info. No start/stop is a dealmaker for me.

I asked GTO Guy on this thread for a forum I could go to get answers for these questions, as a last-ditch attempt to avoid traveling around to all the dealers to find out.

When I started using the online sites about 20 years ago, I thought wow this is great, I can sit in my living room and pick and choose the vehicle I want! What could go wrong?

With EVERY MANUFACTURER'S website being a mess in one way or another from then until today, I've spent more time the past two months looking online in my living room that I would have spent actually going to the dealers.

I will dig into the Mazda some more, thanks again. You guys have been more helpful than anywhere else.

Another question for the ages: Why do ALL manufacturers only offer black, white, some shade of gray/silver -- and if you're lucky maybe one shade of red or blue, sometimes at an extra cost? Decades ago you could get about any color you wanted. Why did this change?

If I was in the business of robbing banks or something, I would want non-descript gray-ish getaway car. Nobody could pick it out from all the other ones.

"Yes I saw him officer, he was in a gray/silver SUV."

"Wow, thanks for that."

I prefer any shade or red or blue over the bland colors. But not all that important in the big scheme of things.
Old 08-22-2022, 9:50pm   #331
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Location: Not Ceasing & Desisting on the leeward side of Anger Island
Thanked 27,832 Times in 11,748 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209

So, anybody else get a perma, yet?
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJ_Critterus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2022, 10:07pm   #332
Bruze
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
So, anybody else get a perma, yet?
Was that the thread subject?

Bob Pinciotti got one.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bruze For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2022, 10:29pm   #333
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Quote:
Was that the thread subject?

Bob Pinciotti got one.
Not sure. I'm out of the loop and been sitting here in Flagstaff doing Grand Canyon tourist stuff for the past couple of days.
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ_Critterus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2022, 10:53pm   #334
TheHammer
A Real Barner
Activity: 15.8%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2149

Quote:
Not sure. I'm out of the loop and been sitting here in Flagstaff doing Grand Canyon tourist stuff for the past couple of days.
Mother Road Brewery, Black Sky Brewery get the pizza.
Satchmos BBQ
Atria
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 11:18pm   #335
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
Mother Road Brewery, Black Sky Brewery get the pizza.
Satchmos BBQ
Atria
Not doing the breweries with family and the small niece & nephew here. As for pizza, I'm kind of a snob since I was raised in Italy. Had some from Oregano's earlier and it was o.k. Not great, but just o.k.

What is Atria?
Old 08-23-2022, 3:45am   #336
ToolMaker
Barn Stall Owner #97
Activity: 1.1%

Thanked 1,022 Times in 556 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $56470018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatDog View Post
Good story and I agree with you about not preferring bright red. You have a good color. My wife’s car is crystal red metallic. She wouldn’t have bought a bright red car. She had 2 other requirements. It had to be a convertible and it had to be a stick shift.

There’s no way you BIL could buy that car for anywhere near $6,500 these days. Love to hear about great cars staying in the family. Here’s my ‘67. I’m 76 and my son doesn’t want it when my time is up.
My wife likes to bust my friend nuggets by telling them she is going to bury me in my 67', and not tell them where!
Attached Thumbnails
2009-05-24 11.15.55.jpg  

ToolMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ToolMaker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2022, 7:34am   #337
TheHammer
A Real Barner
Activity: 15.8%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2149

Quote:
Not doing the breweries with family and the small niece & nephew here. As for pizza, I'm kind of a snob since I was raised in Italy. Had some from Oregano's earlier and it was o.k. Not great, but just o.k.

What is Atria?
https://www.atriarestaurant.com/

need to go to to grand Falls / Chocolate Falls

ought to be flowing pretty good
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 8:00am   #338
Old Ben
A Real Barner
Activity: 15.5%

Thanked 14,790 Times in 5,870 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1014987

What was this thread supposed to be about?
Old Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 8:35am   #339
MidLifeinMI
Vette Barn Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Ben View Post
I think it was something about being banned from the other place for talking about small SUVs while eating pizza in Flagstaff. I might have some details wrong.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MidLifeinMI For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2022, 8:51am   #340
Vandelay Industries
Barn Stall Owner #14/32
Activity: 51.4%

Thanked 13,003 Times in 4,934 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Ben View Post
More days of useless drivel.
Vandelay Industries is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic