Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-22-2022, 12:14am   #301
Bruze
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.1%

Thanked 9,770 Times in 4,042 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
I've also been a long, long time member of Pontiac, Toyota, Ford, Hotrod, gun, and antique forums and have only ever had a problem on the Corvette Forum, specifically the C1-C2 section.
Seems like there are two or three moderators over there who have really gone off the rails and are eliminating a lot of members.
Where would be a good forum to ask questions about new SUVs? Imma get one soon if I can figure out what I want. All the manufacturers’ sites are total cluster****s and have been for the 20 or so years I’ve been going to them.
Bruze is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruze For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2022, 10:17am   #302
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 72.7%

Thanked 33,424 Times in 11,738 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruze View Post
Where would be a good forum to ask questions about new SUVs?
www.soccermoms.com
Steve_R is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2022, 10:20am   #303
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 7,626 Times in 3,746 Posts

Quote:
Where would be a good forum to ask questions about new SUVs? Imma get one soon if I can figure out what I want. All the manufacturers’ sites are total cluster****s and have been for the 20 or so years I’ve been going to them.
If you don't want mechanical issues get a Toyota or Lexus, even a gently used one.
Some of the formerly crappy ones (Kia, Hyundai) have really stepped up their game.

Stay away from Nissan, Subaru, anything with a variable speed transmission (velocity belt) and ALL domestics.
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GTOguy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2022, 10:25am   #304
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 72.7%

Thanked 33,424 Times in 11,738 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
Stay away from Nissan, Subaru, anything with a variable speed transmission (velocity belt) and ALL domestics.
Steve_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:39am   #305
RatDog
Barn Stall Owner #114
Activity: 0.7%

Hey Jeff - I’ve owned two Lexus hybrid SUVs. Both had CVTs (Continuously Variable Transmissions).

Take care,
Steve
RatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:42am   #306
Onebadcad
Barn Stall Owner #116
Doesn't have a big thing
Activity: 99.8%

Thanked 9,164 Times in 4,589 Posts

Quote:
If you don't want mechanical issues get a Toyota or Lexus, even a gently used one.
Some of the formerly crappy ones (Kia, Hyundai) have really stepped up their game.

Yeah, okay, thanks.
Onebadcad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 1:14pm   #307
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 7,626 Times in 3,746 Posts

Bruze knows my automotive background so I was addressing him. Yeah, I know Toyota makes CVT's, but I would not own or recommend one.
I can think of zero domestic SUV's that I would recommend. Onebadcad, knock yourself out.
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 1:26pm   #308
Raazor
2020 Election Expert
Activity: 10.1%

Location: Big Sky Country... Where the men are men, the sheep are nervous, and the winters are LOOONG!!!
Thanked 19,592 Times in 7,287 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1134156

Quote:
Bruze knows my automotive background so I was addressing him. Yeah, I know Toyota makes CVT's, but I would not own or recommend one.
I can think of zero domestic SUV's that I would recommend. Onebadcad, knock yourself out.
My daughter drives a 16yo GX470

Thing still looks & drives great
Raazor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raazor For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2022, 1:27pm   #309
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 33,658 Times in 13,630 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

My wife (ex) has owned three generations of Tahoe and has loved each one. No real issues. Fuel relay on one.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 2:58pm   #310
Bruze
A Real Barner

Quote:

I never put more than 30k or so miles on my vehicles, so not too worried about big problems. I've had pickups since 1975, but do not need one anymore from here on out.

Domestics are definitely out. Leaning towards RAV4, Hyundai or Kia. Do not need a full size.

Must haves:

AWD
NO start/stop bullshit

Want but negotiable:

Climate control
Keyless ignition

I've spent hours building cars on websites in the past couple of months and THE WEBSITES ALL SUCK in one way or another. They are laid out illogically. Difficult to find what's standard and what's optional.

Nothing has changed in the 20 or so years I've been building a new vehicle online. You would think multi-billion dollar car companies would have functioning, logical sites.

In the winter of '13-'14 I wanted to buy a new Vette. After numerous attempts throughout the winter trying to build something, and then seeing it finished, I gave up and bought an '07.

I even chatted with some GM broad and she admitted that some things weren't right online, and I saved that chat just for fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruze For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2022, 3:04pm   #311
RatDog
Barn Stall Owner #114

And when those websites toss their various “packages” into the mix, it gets even worse trying to figure out what stand-alone options you want to add or subtract.

I’ve never found a “package” that was exactly what I wanted.

Good luck,
Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to RatDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2022, 3:35pm   #312
Bruze
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatDog View Post
And when those websites toss their various “packages” into the mix, it gets even worse trying to figure out what stand-alone options you want to add or subtract.

I’ve never found a “package” that was exactly what I wanted.

Good luck,
Steve
Yeah, we often have to give or take some things within packages, but trying to find what you actually have after a build is messy on most sites.

Some sites are better at one thing and worse at others. Last week I was on a major site and was picking paint colors, and the one I wanted came up "No image available."

Sometimes pages take forever to load.

Trying to find if a car has the start/stop mess varies with the site, but is generally hard to find.
Old 08-22-2022, 3:43pm   #313
RatDog
Barn Stall Owner #114

Bruce - by “start/stop” mess, do you mean the engine shutting down when the vehicle is stopped and starting up again when you step on the gas?

Both of my Lexus rh450’s did that but they were hybrid cars. Do they put that on non-electric cars now?

Take care,
Steve
Old 08-22-2022, 3:53pm   #314
Bruze
A Real Barner

Quote:
Bruce - by “start/stop” mess, do you mean the engine shutting down when the vehicle is stopped and starting up again when you step on the gas?

Both of my Lexus rh450’s did that but they were hybrid cars. Do they put that on non-electric cars now?

Take care,
Steve
Yes, that's what I meant.

Most gas cars now (as far as I can determine) have it. My buddy's Caddy SUV has it and of course they are ALWAYS ON by default, you have to shut the feature off every time you start it. There are ways of fixing that, but I'm sure your warranty would be invalid then.

Another buddy has a Kia and he says the engine doesn't completely shut down at a light, but it idles so slow that the car shakes. He took it back to the dealer but they told him that was normal, lol. Again, it's on by default every time you start the engine.
Old 08-22-2022, 4:30pm   #315
RatDog
Barn Stall Owner #114

Quote:

Most gas cars now (as far as I can determine) have it. My buddy's Caddy SUV has it and of course they are ALWAYS ON by default, you have to shut the feature off every time you start it. There are ways of fixing that, but I'm sure your warranty would be invalid then.

Another buddy has a Kia and he says the engine doesn't completely shut down at a light, but it idles so slow that the car shakes. He took it back to the dealer but they told him that was normal, lol. Again, it's on by default every time you start the engine.
I think I saw one of those cars the other day. It was painted green and had a picture of Al Gore on the hood in a Trans Am screaming chicken pose.

Don't know if your C6 is manual or auto. My wife's 2012 is a 6-speed manual.
The transmission is programmed to do a forced 1st to 4th shift when making a normal, slow start from a stoplight. The driver has no control over that other than always doing an aggressive departure from a stop. It's a mpg-maximization "feature" and the reason Chevy gets away with claiming 16 mpg City and 26 mpg highway.

The first week we had the car, I pulled out on the highway and a car I didn't see came out of nowhere. I hit the gas to get out of there but the car had already shifted to 4th and the pedal gave me nothing because I was in 4th gear going 15 mph. The next day, I ordered a Skip Shift device and plugged it into the fuse block. That device eliminated the auto shift function and lets you drive the car like a normal manual transmission.

Take care,
Steve
Old 08-22-2022, 4:33pm   #316
Frankie the Fink
A Real Barner
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 3,569 Times in 1,595 Posts

There are several products that elminiate the annoying AutoStop feature permanently or invert the operation (e.g. its OFF by default and you have to push the button manually to activate it). I just put one in a Honda Ridgeline for a friend and have run one in my Dodge Durango for years, they are pretty much "plug and play":

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/

Be careful though the one above will NOT set any DTC diagnostic codes, some of the Chiwanese versions WILL.
Frankie the Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankie the Fink For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2022, 6:09pm   #317
Onebadcad
Barn Stall Owner #116
Doesn't have a big thing
Activity: 99.8%

Thanked 9,164 Times in 4,589 Posts

Quote:
Since 1993 the wife has driven an Explorer, 3 Expeditions, an Enclave and currently XT5, probably over 500K miles, one $800 repair out of warranty.

Yeah, I should listen to you,,,

GM, Chevy and Ford are great SUVs, AND THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR THE ESCALADE, YUKON XL AND SURBURBAN!!
Onebadcad is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onebadcad For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2022, 6:25pm   #318
MidLifeinMI
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 2.2%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $501227

Quote:

If you want to avoid auto start/stop, want dual zone climate, keyless ignition, AWD, etc. in a mid-size, you might consider either a Mazda CX-5 (CUV) or CX-50 (little more geared for offroad; still no Jeep). Quality has been Toyota/Lexus level for a few years now, and while they still have an old-school 6-speed auto, at least it's not a CVT. 2.5L turbo has decent power, and build quality/interior materials are top rate. I've had a CX-5 for almost a year now, and so far it's been completely flawless.
MidLifeinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MidLifeinMI For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2022, 6:29pm   #319
Bruze
A Real Barner

Quote:
I think I saw one of those cars the other day. It was painted green and had a picture of Al Gore on the hood in a Trans Am screaming chicken pose.

Don't know if your C6 is manual or auto. My wife's 2012 is a 6-speed manual.
The transmission is programmed to do a forced 1st to 4th shift when making a normal, slow start from a stoplight. The driver has no control over that other than always doing an aggressive departure from a stop. It's a mpg-maximization "feature" and the reason Chevy gets away with claiming 16 mpg City and 26 mpg highway.

The first week we had the car, I pulled out on the highway and a car I didn't see came out of nowhere. I hit the gas to get out of there but the car had already shifted to 4th and the pedal gave me nothing because I was in 4th gear going 15 mph. The next day, I ordered a Skip Shift device and plugged it into the fuse block. That device eliminated the auto shift function and lets you drive the car like a normal manual transmission.

Take care,
Steve
Yes, I've heard people bitch about the "skip shift" thing and how to override it.

My C6 is an auto -- that was one requirement I had. Been shifting cars, trucks, tractors, and motorcycles all my life, it gets old after a while.
Old 08-22-2022, 6:32pm   #320
Bruze
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
There are several products that elminiate the annoying AutoStop feature permanently or invert the operation (e.g. its OFF by default and you have to push the button manually to activate it). I just put one in a Honda Ridgeline for a friend and have run one in my Dodge Durango for years, they are pretty much "plug and play":

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/

Be careful though the one above will NOT set any DTC diagnostic codes, some of the Chiwanese versions WILL.
Yes, I've read about those in recent months, since I started car hunting and realized a lot of them come with start/stop.

My buddy's Caddy SUV (2019 I think) has it and I think he just shuts it off by rote every time after starting.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic