Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > C5 Corvette > C5 Open Discussion

C5 Open Discussion General and technical C5 Corvette discussion - ownership, maintenance, repairs, modifications, tuning

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-01-2010, 8:37pm   #1
Defib1961
Barn Stall Owner #23
Barn Raising I
Activity: 0.6%

Thanked 5,881 Times in 2,031 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $144580
Default Nav systems.

Are there any good in dash nav systems for C5s?
Old 10-01-2010, 10:59pm   #2
Munch
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #00
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2041885

I assume you're talking about double din systems with a modified bezel. If so then there are really only two choices and those are Kenwood or Pioneer, Alpine makes one but it's supposedly crap. There are other brands but everyone gets either the Kenwood or Pioneer. If it was me I would get a Kenwood as it's nav is Garmin based and I like it better than the Pioneer.

On a side note: It escapes me why someone doesn't make one of these double din units with an OBDII interface so you could monitor your systems. You could always get a car PC with a cool front end and then you would have all sorts of cool chit to play with!

Some minor tweaks here and there.
Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 9:42am   #3
RMAXX10
Vette Barn nOOb

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $535

I put the Kenwood DNX 9960 in my 04 it really updated the interior Nav,Satilite Radio,hands free for the cell all touch screen it was a little costly $2000 for the nav unit $ 500 for the new Bezel / install kit.
RMAXX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 6:12pm   #4
Lowcash
Charter Member

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
I assume you're talking about double din systems with a modified bezel. If so then there are really only two choices and those are Kenwood or Pioneer, Alpine makes one but it's supposedly crap. There are other brands but everyone gets either the Kenwood or Pioneer. If it was me I would get a Kenwood as it's nav is Garmin based and I like it better than the Pioneer.

On a side note: It escapes me why someone doesn't make one of these double din units with an OBDII interface so you could monitor your systems. You could always get a car PC with a cool front end and then you would have all sorts of cool chit to play with!
Didn't some guy with a black corvette do that?
Old 01-01-2011, 1:49pm   #5
Tulsa Vette Guy
Vette Barn Crew

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcash View Post
Didn't some guy with a black corvette do that?
This is one great unit, I will post pictures later of the install.
Pioneer X920BT C5 Double Din Navagation With I-pod and Pioneer XM receiver.

78 Red coupe
87 Red C4 Vert
2002 C5 Millennium Yellow Coupe
Tulsa Vette Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 3:17pm   #6
Tulsa Vette Guy
Vette Barn Crew

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $13
Default Installing the new unit.

I was in your boat a month ago, After checking around and reading lots of forum contents, I called Dennis at Double D Mods, and after we talked I ordered the Pioneer X920BT, with the pioneer GEX-920 XM,and a I-pod cable, Dennis supplied me with all needed cables to make the install go easier, so, I started the project, first pulling the Bezel, ( no big deal) and sent it to Dennis.
When I received my Pioneer X920BT, and took it out of the box, I ask myself, what did I get myself into, LOL.

Wires and more wires, So i called Dennis at Double D Mods, He said don't worry, Its not that bad, he E-Mailed instructions, and said to call him if I ran into trouble, SO while my bezel was at Double D mods being reworked I was busy installing the Pioneer X920BT. Wires and more wires, wow, what first, so the instructions that Dennis sent me helped me start the process of understanding how it all comes together. (plug and play for most)
First thing was to remove the cross member that the GM radio sat on, no big deal, first using a dremel I tired to cut the rivets off, not going anywhere fast, so then I tired to drill the head off with the dremel and a 1/8" drill bit. no go, so I took a 1/2' stub drill in a right angle drill motor, and in about two minutes all were out. Now for the wiring, It was plug in time, Ok, that was easy, now to color match wires, 10 of them, that was just crimping the together, easy.
I had a couple of questions, so, I call Dennis, he told me what to do, and Bingo, had it done. Now just waiting on the Bezel. When it came in I was ready to install, The biggest thing for me was to line up every thing with the bezel, move it a little, then again move it a little, and Bingo, it looked good, so I tied it all down, and started to button everything up. Dennis at Double D Mods was very helpful and did not leave me hanging, he walked me through every step,God I love that guy. Now I have the built in Nav and a great radio that look great and sounds great, Oh, the XM was very easy, just one E-Mail to Dennis and a very quick reply back, and it was done.
Now for your decision, go for it, with Dennis at Double D Mods in your corner no big deal. If I can help you, call me, and I will help you also. PM me for my phone number. I am so glad I did it, you will also.

OK, lets get started, first step, remove the Bezel

And lets remove the top bracket.

My wife started to cry, you have destroyed our Corvette, just wait my Dear,, Help Dennis, and then Dennis to the rescue, Thanks Dennis. and now the next step.

And now Dear wife, how do you like it,, She said I don't believe it,, Again thank you Dennis an Donna at Double D Mods
Well thats my Install, I am Happy, P.S. So is my wife.

78 Red coupe
87 Red C4 Vert
2002 C5 Millennium Yellow Coupe
Tulsa Vette Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tulsa Vette Guy For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > C5 Corvette > C5 Open Discussion