Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2020, 8:53pm   #1
JRD77VET
Barn Stall Owner #327
NCM Supporter '16,'17,'19,'20
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 11.5%

Thanked 21,885 Times in 8,904 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5976008
Default Discovery of Civil War map sheds new light on Antietam’s bloody aftermath

Discovery of Civil War map sheds new light on Antietam’s bloody aftermath

A long-forgotten Civil War map has recently been rediscovered, shedding new light on the bloody aftermath of the battle of Antietam.

Some 23,000 soldiers were killed, wounded or missing following the battle on Sept. 17, 1862, which has been described as “the bloodiest day in American history.”

The S.G. Elliott Burial Map shows where 5,800 Americans were buried in temporary graves. The map, which is in the collection of the New York Public Library, was discovered by researchers looking for information on the battle of Gettysburg.

The map was digitized two years ago, but until its recent discovery in the library’s archives, it was unknown to experts. Earlier this year, researchers from the Adams County Historical Society in Gettysburg, Pa., found the map when they were looking for information on mapmaker Simon G. Elliott.

The S.G. Elliott Burial Map shows where 5,800 Americans were buried in temporary graves.

After discovering the map, the researchers notified National Park Service staff at Antietam National Battlefield.

The detailed map, like a counterpart that Elliott made following the battle of Gettysburg, was likely made in autumn 1864. “Although historians are still performing analysis of the map, more than 5,800 soldier burials are individually recorded, typically in groups associated with a particular regiment, also noted on the map,” explains the American Battlefield Trust, in a statement. “Field burials often saw soldiers interred by comrades, very close to where they fell, meaning that the map confirms the locations where units were engaged on the field.”

Whereas 18 soldiers were identified by name on Elliott’s Gettysburg map, more than 50 were identified on the Antietam map, according to ACHS Executive Director Andrew Dalton.

The long-forgotten map was recently rediscovered. (New York Public Library)

“Looking at this map, there can be no doubt in the truth of the statement that a battlefield is ‘hallowed ground,’ made so by the blood of soldiers,” said American Battlefield Trust President Jim Lighthizer in a statement. “The landscape at Antietam was turned into one vast cemetery, sacred to the memory of those who lost their lives in the struggle.”

Although most of the interments have been moved off the battlefield to Antietam National Cemetery, the map is nonetheless an incredible historical document.

“The Elliott map shows that dozens of men were once buried in the immediate vicinity of the national park’s visitor center,” said the American Battlefield Trust in its statement. “The 461 acres that have been protected by the American Battlefield Trust show evidence of more than 600 burials.”

The map is believed to be from autumn 1864. (New York Public Library)

Antietam was a crucial battle in the Civil War, ending the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia’s first invasion of the North. President Abraham Lincoln also issued the preliminary Emancipation Proclamation in the wake of the bloody clash.

The map effectively unlocks new aspects of the battle and its aftermath.

“This discovery reveals truths about the Battle of Antietam lost to time,” said American Battlefield Trust Chief Historian Garry Adelman in the statement. “It’s like the Rosetta Stone: by demonstrating new ways that primary sources already at our disposal relate to each other, it has the power to confirm some of our long-held beliefs — or maybe turn some of our suppositions on their heads.”

The S.G. Elliott Burial Map shows where 5,800 Americans were buried in temporary graves. (New York Public Library)

Civil War sites across the U.S. regularly offer fresh glimpses into the bloody conflict. Earlier this year, for example, an artillery shell from the Civil War was discovered in downtown Charleston.

A Civil War-era gravestone linked to the infamous Quantrill’s Raid was discovered last year in a Kansas forest.

Also in 2019, a Civil War cannonball was discovered lodged in a walnut tree at a historic house in Independence, Mo.

Nov. 6, 2011: Antietam National Battlefield in Sharpsburg, Md., is a serene setting once wracked by violence in the bloodiest one-day battle on U.S. soil - file photo. (The Associated Press)

Earlier in the year, archaeologists in Delaware located the gravestone of a Civil War soldier that may provide a vital clue in uncovering a long-lost African-American cemetery.

In 2018, the remains of two Civil War soldiers were discovered in a surgeon’s burial pit at Manassas National Battlefield Park in Virginia. Also in 2018, a vacationer on a North Carolina beach captured drone footage of a Civil War-era shipwreck.

In 2017, forensic linguists said they had likely unraveled the mystery surrounding a famous Civil War-era letter long believed to have been written by Lincoln.

In 2015, the remains of a Confederate warship were raised from the Savannah River in Georgia. The following year, the wreck of a large iron-hulled Civil War-era steamer was discovered off the coast of North Carolina. The ship, which was found off Oak Island, N.C., was tentatively identified as the blockade runner Agnes E. Fry.

The last person to receive a Civil War-era pension died in North Carolina last month, according to reports.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/disc...r-map-antietam

x too many
JRD77VET is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to JRD77VET For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 9:34am   #2
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 7,050 Times in 3,110 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $46272

I've been there several times and participated in the reenactments there. The map is wonderful. I'm sure there is still tons of maps, photos, etc...hidden or buried in the national archives, libraries, museums, private collections, etc...across the US about CW battles. A lot of it unidentified or filed away and forgotten about like this map. Another problem is the majority of it not digitized or available online for us to help in identification. I google certain battlefields daily to see if anything new has popped up. But, that is relying on keywords and someone else having properly identified it in a map or photo.

My pic of Burnside's Bridge at Sharpsburg.

Some fellow reenactors from Alabama walking their ancestors unit colors along the sunken road.

Grey Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Grey Ghost For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 3:07pm   #3
LisaJohn
Barn Stall Owner #1000
1000th member
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 12.6%

Thanked 4,820 Times in 2,639 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2425793

Do either of you gentlemen know about old tin type photos? Decades ago when we were moving my grandmother she had an old military photo and told me to just throw it away. She said it was from her stepmothers family. I couldn’t toss it so I have it. I keep thinking I might try to research it but I haven't.
LisaJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LisaJohn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 4:51pm   #4
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 30,508 Times in 14,293 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108033784

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaJohn View Post
Do either of you gentlemen know about old tin type photos? Decades ago when we were moving my grandmother she had an old military photo and told me to just throw it away. She said it was from her stepmothers family. I couldn’t toss it so I have it. I keep thinking I might try to research it but I haven't.
Do the research. I'll bet you'll find something very interesting.
snide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snide For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 6:54pm   #5
VatorMan
Barn Stall Owner #122
NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'17
Activity: 7.9%

Thanked 8,400 Times in 4,253 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1158963

In a few years, it will be like the Civil war never happened. I’m giving the statues at Antietam and Gettysburg a year at the most.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VatorMan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 6:57pm   #6
JRD77VET
Barn Stall Owner #327
NCM Supporter '16,'17,'19,'20
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 11.5%

Thanked 21,885 Times in 8,904 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5976008

Quote:
Grey Ghost will have a better understanding of value but depending on who is in the photo, it could be quite valuable.

YOU should do the research as you have the family connection (name) to look under. Once that picture is sold, the research becomes much more difficult.
JRD77VET is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JRD77VET For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 7:13pm   #7
LisaJohn
Barn Stall Owner #1000
1000th member
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '13

Thank you! I wasn’t thinking about the value! I remember my grandmother telling me that she didn’t know him. I will do some research.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LisaJohn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 7:17pm   #8
LisaJohn
Barn Stall Owner #1000
1000th member
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '13

It’s in bad shape. I need to frame it. It says Jefferson D. Hines enlisted Nov 1901 for 3 years, assign to Co D. Thirtieth (or thirteenth) Regiment. Served under Gen Nelson Miles. Phillipines
Attached Thumbnails
1CEA5AC8-4146-4DAD-9CCE-C3CEC334ECDC.jpg  

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LisaJohn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 8:46pm   #9
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner

Quote:
It’s in bad shape. I need to frame it. It says Jefferson D. Hines enlisted Nov 1901 for 3 years, assign to Co D. Thirtieth (or thirteenth) Regiment. Served under Gen Nelson Miles. Phillipines
Are those individual tintypes around the center of different people? It's pretty cool!

No major wars going on at that time. There are people that collect old images/photography. Glad you saved it. Someone out there would enjoy it in their collection.

I'm guessing $100 or less.

Pricing is based on several factors:

Subject matter
Time period
Condition
Photographer
Subject(s) in the image

The highest priced images are usually confederates in uniform with guns and/or knives. Glass plate, tintype, followed by CDV format.

Check out this recent auction!

https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/a-...cotton-3976308
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grey Ghost For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 9:20pm   #10
LisaJohn
Barn Stall Owner #1000
1000th member
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
Are those individual tintypes around the center of different people? It's pretty cool!

No major wars going on at that time. There are people that collect old images/photography. Glad you saved it. Someone out there would enjoy it in their collection.

Subject matter
Time period
Condition
Photographer
Subject(s) in the image

The highest priced images are usually confederates in uniform with guns and/or knives. Glass plate, tintype, followed by CDV format.

Yes, pictures of different men in uniform. The Hines man is also in one of the other pictures. I’m going to keep it. This thread reminded me that I had kept the picture. Thank you for the info!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LisaJohn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 9:31pm   #11
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner

Quote:
Yes, pictures of different men in uniform. The Hines man is also in one of the other pictures. I’m going to keep it. This thread reminded me that I had kept the picture. Thank you for the info!
It is super cool!

You can put a sticker on the back of it with all the info you know about for future generations. That way it stays with it and does no harm to it or value. There are so many images that will forever be unknown to all of us. I even have a tub full of family pics from the last few decades that I don't know any of the people in them. If someone had just put a name on the back of them....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grey Ghost For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 9:32pm   #12
Little Red L98.
A Real Barner
Activity: 10.4%

Thanked 14,776 Times in 5,022 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $894473

Ihave to check that out.

I knew one of the founders of the American Battlefield Trust when they were called The Association for the the Preservation of Civil War Sites. Brian Pohanka. Died of cancer in 05. Cool dude.
Little Red L98. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Red L98. For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 9:55pm   #13
MrPeabody
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 12,309 Times in 5,942 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2214590

Quote:

Subject matter
Time period
Condition
Photographer
Subject(s) in the image

1901 was the era of gun boat diplomacy in the Philippines. We had just taken governance of the islands after the Spanish-American war. Maybe he was involved in that.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrPeabody For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 10:14pm   #14
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Red L98. View Post
Ihave to check that out.

I knew one of the founders of the American Battlefield Trust when they were called The Association for the the Preservation of Civil War Sites. Brian Pohanka. Died of cancer in 05. Cool dude.
Yep, he is a legend.

ABT is a great organization. They helped us secure a great portion of land near our local battlefield for protection. They do great Facebook Live videos from the battlefields usually on the anniversary dates. If anyone wants to donate any money to a worthy organization it would be them. They name changed a year or so ago, because they were trying to save Rev. war land, etc...along with the civil war battlefields.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grey Ghost For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 11:40pm   #15
Little Red L98.
A Real Barner

Quote:
Yep, he is a legend.

ABT is a great organization. They helped us secure a great portion of land near our local battlefield for protection. They do great Facebook Live videos from the battlefields usually on the anniversary dates. If anyone wants to donate any money to a worthy organization it would be them. They name changed a year or so ago, because they were trying to save Rev. war land, etc...along with the civil war battlefields.
One of Brian’s first published works was a piece about the 54th Massachusetts Infantry when he was a teen. He swears Hollywood stole that idea from him and made it into the movie Glory. But of course he couldn’t prove it. He did help with the movie production tho.
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Red L98. For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2020, 12:10am   #16
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.1%

Thanked 11,554 Times in 5,696 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

Quote:
Ihave to check that out.

That last name was same as an auto dealer in the Wash DC region.....I want to say OLDS.....but it's been 23 years since I moved from there......

mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrvette For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2020, 12:37am   #17
Little Red L98.
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
That last name was same as an auto dealer in the Wash DC region.....I want to say OLDS.....but it's been 23 years since I moved from there......

Everyone in greater DC associates the name Pohanka with car dealerships. Big and reputable ones to be fair but Brian said he hated that shit and didn’t want anything to do with it.
Old 06-21-2020, 5:59am   #18
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.1%

Thanked 11,554 Times in 5,696 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

Quote:
Everyone in greater DC associates the name Pohanka with car dealerships. Big and reputable ones to be fair but Brian said he hated that shit and didn’t want anything to do with it.
Well, guess he got $$$$$ and invested......
mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrvette For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2020, 7:58am   #19
Olustee bus
A Real Barner
Activity: 1.4%

Thanked 3,198 Times in 1,783 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1232517

I don't know if this man was there but this is an interesting account.

Olustee bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Olustee bus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2020, 9:28am   #20
Little Red L98.
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
Well, guess he got $$$$$ and invested......
Everyone in his immediate family was in the business but him. He wanted to study history. I’m sure he didn’t want for anything growing up.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic