Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2019, 10:56am   #1
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 30.2%

Thanked 33,834 Times in 12,329 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124
Default not only allow them to vote, but now...

California moves to let felons serve on juries

The state of California has made no secret that it wants to let as many people out of prison as possible.

From the early release of inmates through AB 109, to filling parole boards with felon friendly commissioners, to decriminalizing a litany of felonies and drug offenses with Props 47 and 57, Sacramento lawmakers are bending over backwards to dramatically reduce the state’s inmate population.

Despite all of these efforts, the number of inmates hasn’t dropped dramatically enough to satisfy the state’s ruling Democrats, so they’re kicking tires on a new approach — rigging the jury system so no one gets convicted in the first place.

This most recent push is Senate Bill 310, authored by state Sen. Nancy Skinner, D-Berkeley, and would allow Californians who have prior felony convictions to serve on juries.

In a press release promoting the proposal, Skinner wrote, “SB310 will help ensure that California juries represent a fair cross-section of our communities…People with felony records have the right to vote in California. There is no legitimate reason why they should be barred from serving on a jury.”

Currently, felons are prevented from serving on juries because of their obvious and inherent bias against prosecutors and law enforcement.

If you honestly believe that jurors in California who’ve served time won’t be more lenient towards accused criminals, I’ve got a bullet train to sell you.

People who have a family member in law enforcement are excused from jury duty all the time because of the possibility of bias, even unconscious bias.

How can someone who’s served time be considered free of bias?

That’s like having crazy cat ladies vote on how many cats a person should own.

It should be noted that SB310 makes no distinction between violent and non-violent offenders, and even allows convicted felons who are still on probation or parole to serve.

Since this is California, and the idea is cartoonishly preposterous, of course it sailed through the Senate Public Safety Committee on a 5-1 vote.

In testimony to the Committee, Brendon Woods, Alameda County’s Public Defender, noted that defendants of color are often faced with juries in California in which “no one who sits in judgment looks like [them].”

In California it’s already illegal to exclude potential jurors because of their race, national origin or gender, among other categories. A “jury of your peers” doesn’t mean having a foreman with the same ankle monitoring device as the defendant.

Since the Senate Public Safety Committee vote, SB310 has since been approved by the full state Senate. It was approved on a 27-10 vote.

Look, I’m willing to compromise on this. If an ex-con wants to judge a wet T-shirt contest I say go for it. But felonies are serious business, and the public deserves honest trials with juries who will evaluate the evidence with as few biases as possible, and vote accordingly.

More importantly, that’s what victims deserve as well.

Plus, I’m just not willing to risk having a juror whose vote on guilt or innocence might be swayed by a carton of Marlboro Reds.

Could you imagine turning the news on one night and hearing the phrase: “Mr. Cosby, have you and your fellow jurors reached a verdict?”

Make no mistake, SB310 is not about expanding civil rights for persecuted minorities or reintegrating felons into society — it’s about stacking the deck against prosecutors by making it impossible to win criminal convictions.

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/06/1...rve-on-juries/

Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:48am   #2
GentleBen
Barn Stall Owner #84
Barn Raising II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '12,'13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'19,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 4.9%

Thanked 1,754 Times in 824 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $112749

I could NEVER live there.
GentleBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:39pm   #3
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 30,507 Times in 14,293 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108033784

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleBen View Post
I could NEVER live there.
I would NEVAR live there.
snide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:42pm   #4
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 30,507 Times in 14,293 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108033784

If Commiefornia wants to reduce the prison populations, all they need to do is send the illegals back to the shithole countries they came from. Hell, I'd throw in some airline miles if it would help...
snide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snide For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 5:28pm   #5
Norm
Barn Stall Owner #1776
NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'19,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'17
Activity: 29.2%

Thanked 15,024 Times in 4,314 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2002001941

Bleeding heart liberal assholes, gawd, I get so sick of this shit..........I watch no national news, I barely watch local, just the weather for the most part.
The Following User Says Thank You to Norm For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 9:18pm   #6
TripleBlack
Barn Raising I
Activity: 3.2%

Thanked 2,060 Times in 876 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $308343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
Bleeding heart liberal assholes, gawd, I get so sick of this shit..........I watch no national news, I barely watch local, just the weather for the most part.

Glad to hear.... thought it was just me.
TripleBlack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:01pm   #7
boracayjohnny
A Real Barner
Activity: 28.6%

Location: Out back of Victory Over America Palace, Baghdad while throwing chicken bones.
Thanked 8,051 Times in 3,902 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1317070

Quote:

On demand when you want it and it's also a source, if not their only one, for the weather readers.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...9#.XBY15VxKhPY
boracayjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic