Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2011, 11:58am   #1
Me2
Barn Raising I
Activity: 2.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1247236
Default Spiders don't bother me, BUT

I think I would freak if I were to encounter a camel spider.

Are these things real?
Me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:00pm   #2
Truck Guy
Barn Stall Owner #18
NCM Supporter '11
Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,647 Times in 1,089 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $227052

I'm as tough as most guys, but I'd probably wet my pants
Truck Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:01pm   #3
Montehall
A Real Barner

Thanked 1,546 Times in 676 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $89945

Montehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:04pm   #4
kylebuck
Barn Stall Owner #47
Barn Raising I,II
Activity: 3.6%

Thanked 2,910 Times in 1,410 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1098639

kylebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:30pm   #5
Bingo Fuel
Barn Stall Owner #60
Activity: 0.8%

Thanked 1,262 Times in 563 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2031836

Bingo Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:32pm   #6
Defib1961
Barn Stall Owner #23
Barn Raising I

Thanked 5,881 Times in 2,031 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $144580

Damn things should be called the Jesus Spider because they will make ya walk on water.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:33pm   #7
Yerf Dog
A Real Barner

Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,145 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $503566

Yerf Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:34pm   #8
Montehall
A Real Barner

Old 01-11-2011, 12:36pm   #9
nhra_ta
Barn Stall Owner #36

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6938

Years ago when we had the '05 GTO I was a member on the GTO board. There was a guy on there in the service (I don't remember what branch, Army I think) that posted the one of the funniest stories I have ever read about his run in with a camel spider. That thread was resurrected at least a couple of times a year. I'm still registered over there, I might search for it and see if I can find it. If I can, I'll copy it here.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:37pm   #10
78SA
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 3,201 Times in 2,015 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3632152

78SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:38pm   #11
F40
Barn Stall Owner #17
Activity: 0.3%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2311

I wonder if those legs make good eatin?
F40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:43pm   #12
DropTheTop
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #777

Location: If they told you that wolverines would make good house pets . . . would you believe them?
Thanked 1,414 Times in 928 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6589249

I'd either pass out, or run like a scared little girl away from that fecker.
DropTheTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:44pm   #13
Sleestak
Vette Barn Crew

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $852

Dont' be such little girls. What's the worst that could happen?
Sleestak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 1:00pm   #14
Montehall
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestak View Post
Dont' be such little girls. What's the worst that could happen?
spider bites are rarely fatal.
Old 01-11-2011, 1:01pm   #15
w!ngnut
Vette Barn Crew

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2486

I hate spiders for the most part. I'll let the big Garden Spiders live and Grandaddy Longlegs but most others...'squish'.

We've caught and then released a few snakes around the yard...they don't bother me as much as long as I know they aren't venomous.
w!ngnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 1:12pm   #16
03SlowZ06
Charter Member

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $100431

Yes they are real and they are awesome. I will post video of some of the ones we have caught. They are not the scariest bugs we encouter out there. There is a water bug that catches and eats birds. It has a necro venom. I will post pictures of them to.
03SlowZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 03SlowZ06 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2011, 1:20pm   #17
nhra_ta
Barn Stall Owner #36

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6938

Here's the story from the GTO board, originally posted in 2006..

Grey03Cobra
Holy Mother Of God...
"Well, there I was, laying in my bunk contemplating the days events and thinking about tomorrows. I had my laptop on listening to some Nickelback (my laptop is my dvd player, stereo, game station, and link to the outside world) when I thought I heard some scratching sounds next to me.

Being the curious type person I am, I took off my headphones and started to investigate the source of the scratching. Now, mice and feral cats are a common sight around here, and I don't really mind either one, I just don't like them in my hooch. So, I set off to find which one was the culprit.

The sound was coming from behind one of the walls. There are some 2X4s that run along the walls that are used as a brace, so I shined my flashlight down this 2X4 and saw the reflection of some eyes on a brown furry mass. Great, a mouse, and he is out of range of anything to get him out of my room. I tried banging on the wall in an effort to get him to go into my neighbors room (hey, let him deal with it), but that didn't work.

So, I looked around and finally found a long narrow piece of wood that would fit down the wall. Mr. Mouse was still there, so I proceeded to "prod" him with the stick. I thought it was strange that he wasn't moving, so I started to think maybe it was dead. Great, that will smell real good soon if I don't get him out. Well, as I was poking him with a stick he moved...really fricking fast, and he had eight DAMN legs....and was about the size of a DAMN DVD....and he ran up my DAMN sleeve.

I think Osama Bin Laden heard my girlish screams. I HATE FRICKING SPIDERS. I quickly whipped my arm back, which broke the beasts grip on my DCU sleeve and he flew across the room with an audible thump when he hit the wall. Then this evil spawn of Satan ran right back at my ass. It was like something from that movie Arachnophobia. The way I jumped into the air and landed on my bed must have been a feat only Michael Jordan could imitate. That brown furry monster was just sitting on the floor with two legs up in the air trying to figure out if he could jump and get my jugular vein from there.

I desperately looked around for something to defend myself with. My M16 was on the other side of the room. I figured my M203 40mm grenade launcher should be able to kill him, but I would probably get fragged too, so that was no good. My 9mm was hanging on the other wall in it's holster. I had a full 15 round clip loaded, with another 2 clips in reserve...that might be enough to wound the beast.

Soon, a friend of mine knocked on my door to see what all the commotion was about. This gave me a great idea....I'd just have the spider attack him instead. I figured I would just have to run faster than him, so I put my plan in motion.

I said, what's up man, come on in. He had a perplexed look on his face as he walked in my room, as if he was trying to figure out why I was standing on my bed with a stick in one hand and a can of deodorant in the other (it was the only thing in reaching distance). It was then the wraith from hell made it's move. It made a dash towards the door where my friend was standing. The whole camp was suddenly awakened by the screams of two grown men, and I quickly jumped aside to make room on my bed for my friend.

Unfortunately, when he jumped over to my bed, the door swung shut, which once again trapped this Hellspawn in the room with us. Great, now what? Suddenly there was the sound of running boots coming down the hallway, and we heard somebody ask if everything was alright. I guess he heard the sounds of our collective screaming and came to investigate.

I said, what's up man, come on in. Well, my innocent victim opened the door, and the fricken Devils Wraith was right there, and it made it's move, right up the other guys boot. He jumped about 3 feet in the air and bolted out the door screaming, with the spider firmly attached to his boot. I think he invented new curse words, because I had never heard some of what he yelled before.

Woo hoo, the wicked spider was gone. My friend and I climbed down off my bed and went to the door. We SLOWLY opened it in time to see my other friend slam a red fire extinguisher down on the floor. I'm pretty sure That spider had bones, because I could hear them break, and a lot of....well, I guess I'll call it jelly, came out of the now much flatter spider.

We all looked at each other with the same shell shocked expression . I would much rather face Taliban than another frickin Camel Spider. For now, I plan on trying to get some sleep. Uh oh, I think I just heard something...Great, it's gonna be a long night. I hate Afghanistan."
Old 01-11-2011, 1:31pm   #18
themonk
Barn Stall Owner #65
Activity: 3.7%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5394274

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78SA View Post
f'kn idiot.

2003 C5 'vert. (white)
2000 Cadillac STS. (white)
1981 Camaro Z28 4spd 350. (white)
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 1:37pm   #19
78SA
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 3,201 Times in 2,015 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3632152

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhra_ta View Post
Here's the story from the GTO board, originally posted in 2006..

Grey03Cobra
Holy Mother Of God...
"Well, there I was, laying in my bunk contemplating the days events and thinking about tomorrows. I had my laptop on listening to some Nickelback (my laptop is my dvd player, stereo, game station, and link to the outside world) when I thought I heard some scratching sounds next to me.

Being the curious type person I am, I took off my headphones and started to investigate the source of the scratching. Now, mice and feral cats are a common sight around here, and I don't really mind either one, I just don't like them in my hooch. So, I set off to find which one was the culprit.

The sound was coming from behind one of the walls. There are some 2X4s that run along the walls that are used as a brace, so I shined my flashlight down this 2X4 and saw the reflection of some eyes on a brown furry mass. Great, a mouse, and he is out of range of anything to get him out of my room. I tried banging on the wall in an effort to get him to go into my neighbors room (hey, let him deal with it), but that didn't work.

So, I looked around and finally found a long narrow piece of wood that would fit down the wall. Mr. Mouse was still there, so I proceeded to "prod" him with the stick. I thought it was strange that he wasn't moving, so I started to think maybe it was dead. Great, that will smell real good soon if I don't get him out. Well, as I was poking him with a stick he moved...really fricking fast, and he had eight DAMN legs....and was about the size of a DAMN DVD....and he ran up my DAMN sleeve.

I think Osama Bin Laden heard my girlish screams. I HATE FRICKING SPIDERS. I quickly whipped my arm back, which broke the beasts grip on my DCU sleeve and he flew across the room with an audible thump when he hit the wall. Then this evil spawn of Satan ran right back at my ass. It was like something from that movie Arachnophobia. The way I jumped into the air and landed on my bed must have been a feat only Michael Jordan could imitate. That brown furry monster was just sitting on the floor with two legs up in the air trying to figure out if he could jump and get my jugular vein from there.

I desperately looked around for something to defend myself with. My M16 was on the other side of the room. I figured my M203 40mm grenade launcher should be able to kill him, but I would probably get fragged too, so that was no good. My 9mm was hanging on the other wall in it's holster. I had a full 15 round clip loaded, with another 2 clips in reserve...that might be enough to wound the beast.

Soon, a friend of mine knocked on my door to see what all the commotion was about. This gave me a great idea....I'd just have the spider attack him instead. I figured I would just have to run faster than him, so I put my plan in motion.

I said, what's up man, come on in. He had a perplexed look on his face as he walked in my room, as if he was trying to figure out why I was standing on my bed with a stick in one hand and a can of deodorant in the other (it was the only thing in reaching distance). It was then the wraith from hell made it's move. It made a dash towards the door where my friend was standing. The whole camp was suddenly awakened by the screams of two grown men, and I quickly jumped aside to make room on my bed for my friend.

Unfortunately, when he jumped over to my bed, the door swung shut, which once again trapped this Hellspawn in the room with us. Great, now what? Suddenly there was the sound of running boots coming down the hallway, and we heard somebody ask if everything was alright. I guess he heard the sounds of our collective screaming and came to investigate.

I said, what's up man, come on in. Well, my innocent victim opened the door, and the fricken Devils Wraith was right there, and it made it's move, right up the other guys boot. He jumped about 3 feet in the air and bolted out the door screaming, with the spider firmly attached to his boot. I think he invented new curse words, because I had never heard some of what he yelled before.

Woo hoo, the wicked spider was gone. My friend and I climbed down off my bed and went to the door. We SLOWLY opened it in time to see my other friend slam a red fire extinguisher down on the floor. I'm pretty sure That spider had bones, because I could hear them break, and a lot of....well, I guess I'll call it jelly, came out of the now much flatter spider.

We all looked at each other with the same shell shocked expression . I would much rather face Taliban than another frickin Camel Spider. For now, I plan on trying to get some sleep. Uh oh, I think I just heard something...Great, it's gonna be a long night. I hate Afghanistan."
78SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 1:42pm   #20
wwomanC6
Charter Member
C6 Modulator
Barn Stall Owner #27

Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 51.5%

Thanked 7,063 Times in 4,385 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $100108568

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SlowZ06 View Post
Yes they are real and they are awesome. I will post video of some of the ones we have caught. They are not the scariest bugs we encouter out there. There is a water bug that catches and eats birds. It has a necro venom. I will post pictures of them to.
wwomanC6 is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic