Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > C4 Corvette > C4 Open Discussion

C4 Open Discussion General and technical C4 Corvette discussion - ownership, maintenance, repairs, modifications, tuning

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-13-2019, 12:13pm   #1
Black95
Barn Stall Owner #204
Activity: 2.5%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $403724
Default Accessory Plugs

One of the first things I discovered from reading my owner's manual for my 1995 coupe was that there was an accessory plug located in the console. I thought this was really great because on every other car I owned, when I wanted to add a cigarette lighter outlet for things like GPS's, etc. I always had to find a way to tap into another fuse or run a wire into the dash from the car's battery. On this car, Corvette provides you with the wires.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Acessplug1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	34419
Click image for larger version

Name:	Acessplug2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	34420

I routed them out from under the console trim and connected them to two 12 volt cig. lighter accessory plugs purchased from my local car dealer. I did not want to drill holes in my Vette to mount them, so I made a holder from a piece of sheet metal from my local Menard's. Cut it down so it was 6" wide at the top and 12" high with a curve to fit around the console better. (Got the idea from the double cup holder I purchased earlier.) Then I covered it with sticky back felt from Walmart, added some U-shaped black plastic door edge guard trim from my local car parts supplier, and finally pop-riveted the plugs on to it. To mount it, I simply pushed the small end down between the console and the seat mounting hardware and slipped it under the edge of the console after raising it (the console) and bolting it back down again. The owner's manual tells you how to do this. Works like a charm and no holes were drilled into my Vette. (see attached pictures) Now I plan to replace the white wire holder with a black one, the next time I get to the big city (I live in a rural area and my town is only 350 people.) and cover the wires with plastic wire channel or heat shrink tubing. (If you want more exact measurements or a pattern, PM me.)

Name:  12-3-320.JPG
Views: 11
Size:  67.6 KB
Name:  12v-1-320.JPG
Views: 11
Size:  88.3 KB
Since this install several years ago, I have modified it so the wires run through two holes under the plugs to the back side of the metal holder and up under the console so the wires do not show as they do on this left image. (I have updated the right image so you can see what it looks like with the wires hidden behind the accessory plug holder.)

Name:  12voltacess-2.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  213.3 KB
Black95 is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > C4 Corvette > C4 Open Discussion