Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2023, 9:56am   #41
Taurus
A Real Barner
Activity: 31.3%

Thanked 5,811 Times in 2,749 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3895593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruze View Post
Having a job that one doesn't particularly care for, or even hates and can't wait to get out of, is different than being self-employed in your backyard.

I loved what I did (moldmaker) and told everybody I would keep working until I couldn't. I started taking SS in 2013 so I didn't have to kill myself like I did before, so working just helped fill in the day.

Then came April 2021 and I woke up on Monday with severe sharp pains in my right hand, wrist, and shoulder. It got worse as the weeks went on, spread to my left side and I got dull aches in my legs, and that was it for me. The docs said it was arthritis but I don't buy that and I don't think they really know.

By late summer of 2021 the pain was starting to slowly fade. I could actually do things without stabbing pains. Since then I am probably 95% good.

If was tough mentally to give up my business, which I had since 1985 -- it was my life, was never a "job." But now, looking at 73 next month, I have zero interest in working.
I think having a job you love is a great reason to keep working. I loved what I did, I was a VP in the automotive aftermarket responsible for all our company owned auto parts locations coast to coast. However, things change and my base locations here in Utah were sold off and I was going to need to travel two or three weeks a month and I'm just done with being a road warrior. Living at airports and in hotels just doesn't work for me anymore. The owners of the company were very understanding and we're still close so my retirement didn't ruin the relationship.
Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taurus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2023, 9:57am   #42
jw38
A Real Barner
Activity: 20.5%

Thanked 1,917 Times in 746 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

I'm now 67 and my body started failing in 1991 at the age of 35 when I was shot and blown-up by an IED during Operation Desert Storm. I retired from the Air Force in 1994. Since then, I've had 13 spinal surgeries and I have a 100% VA disability rating. I have some level of pain every day...some days are much worse than others. Fortunately, I've stayed as active as possible, although I'm unable to do any real exercising. I walk a lot and most of my exercise comes from yard work (3 acres) and swimming. I retired from the corporate world in 2020 after working for 5 technology start-ups, which has given us a very comfortable retirement. While my body has aged beyond its years, I'm still 21 in my head, so I try to take each day with the outlook that whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger. God has been very good to me so every day is a blessing. Medicare and Tricare have also been a godsend.
jw38 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jw38 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2023, 10:08am   #43
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 66.5%

Thanked 33,851 Times in 13,717 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw38 View Post
I'm now 67 and my body started failing in 1991 at the age of 35 when I was shot and blown-up by an IED during Operation Desert Storm. I retired from the Air Force in 1994. Since then, I've had 13 spinal surgeries and I have a 100% VA disability rating. I have some level of pain every day...some days are much worse than others. Fortunately, I've stayed as active as possible, although I'm unable to do any real exercising. I walk a lot and most of my exercise comes from yard work (3 acres) and swimming. I retired from the corporate world in 2020 after working for 5 technology start-ups, which has given us a very comfortable retirement. While my body has aged beyond its years, I'm still 21 in my head, so I try to take each day with the outlook that whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger. God has been very good to me so every day is a blessing. Medicare and Tricare have also been a godsend.
Holy shit.

Aerovette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 10:10am   #44
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Thanked 33,851 Times in 13,717 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

I love my job and I honestly believe retirement would kill me. Even if it is only "perceived" I think the need to feel useful is connected to mental and physical health.

As much as I hate getting up every day to go to work, I am sure I hate NOT going to work even more.
Aerovette is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2023, 10:12am   #45
Taurus
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post
I love my job and I honestly believe retirement would kill me. Even if it is only "perceived" I think the need to feel useful is connected to mental and physical health.

As much as I hate getting up every day to go to work, I am sure I hate NOT going to work even more.
It's not that bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Taurus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2023, 10:12am   #46
Taurus
A Real Barner

Quote:
Wow, thanks for your service and sacrifice!
Old 07-06-2023, 10:21am   #47
Onebadcad
Barn Stall Owner #116
Doesn't have a big thing
Activity: 99.8%

Thanked 9,356 Times in 4,701 Posts

A wise man once said, we all age BUT we do not have to grow old!!

I cannot lifrt the wieghts I did even ten years ago, but I still lift at least five, or six, days a week.
I try to walk at least two miles daily, no excuses, I probably average close to twenty/week.
My diet is better than ever, almost no sugar, sodas are gone,,, has killed a lot of my joy, but I know the benefits.

Your best approach in life is to look ONLY at yourself, not others, and make good decisions based on wanting to stay healthy so you can be around for many more family memories.

BTW, I need both rotator cuffs repaired, my elbows suck, knees are a little arthritic, ankles have minor pain, etc... I have lots of aches and pain, none I try to focus on.
Onebadcad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onebadcad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2023, 11:30am   #48
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 7,924 Times in 3,911 Posts

My decline started at 54, when I had to stop lifting heavy weights and doing wide grip pull ups, etc. due to joint issues. I'd been working out with weights since age 16. Losing the muscle mass sucks, and my strength is nowhere close to what it used to be. I walk a hair over 3 miles, 5 times a week and sometimes do the rubber band workout.
I was always a highly motivated g0-getter, full of energy, the first on the job and the last to leave. Very rewarding. Since I retired, it was like flipping a switch. I can still 'do' everything, but I mentally don't want to. I'm lazy now. Unmotivated. The same thing happened to my dad. He simply lost interest in all that he had been interested in. He day drank and read about 4 books a day. I'm not that bad....yet. But I'm finding that the less 'stuff' and 'crap' I have in my life the better. I get more fun growing tomatoes now than working on cars. Used to be the other way around! I keep moving because I don't want to become a fat slob. Same weight as I was when working, but again, I have to walk daily. I rotated the tires on my Tundra a couple of months ago and it felt like they weighed 300 pounds each. I used to be able to juggle the damn things. Only 7 more hours until happy hour, so there's that.
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GTOguy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2023, 11:32am   #49
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 7,924 Times in 3,911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
Wow, thanks for your service and sacrifice!
jw38, THANK YOU!!!
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 11:36am   #50
Onebadcad
Barn Stall Owner #116
Doesn't have a big thing

Quote:
You are a GREAT AMERICAN!!
Your commitment and sacrifices to OUR GREAT NATION are greatly appreciated!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Onebadcad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2023, 11:42am   #51
Jughead
A Real Barner
Activity: 8.6%

Location: 1.Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $530

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
My decline started at 54, when I had to stop lifting heavy weights and doing wide grip pull ups, etc. due to joint issues. I'd been working out with weights since age 16. Losing the muscle mass sucks, and my strength is nowhere close to what it used to be. I walk a hair over 3 miles, 5 times a week and sometimes do the rubber band workout.
I was always a highly motivated g0-getter, full of energy, the first on the job and the last to leave. Very rewarding. Since I retired, it was like flipping a switch. I can still 'do' everything, but I mentally don't want to. I'm lazy now. Unmotivated. The same thing happened to my dad. He simply lost interest in all that he had been interested in. He day drank and read about 4 books a day. I'm not that bad....yet. But I'm finding that the less 'stuff' and 'crap' I have in my life the better. I get more fun growing tomatoes now than working on cars. Used to be the other way around! I keep moving because I don't want to become a fat slob. Same weight as I was when working, but again, I have to walk daily. I rotated the tires on my Tundra a couple of months ago and it felt like they weighed 300 pounds each. I used to be able to juggle the damn things. Only 7 more hours until happy hour, so there's that.

That's one of the reasons I didn't retire. Have witnessed, heard and read about guys who retire and then are dead within 2 years. Plus I like money and am glad I didn't retire during Bidenenomics. Inflation is ridiculous, I would definitely be second guessing myself had I retired.
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jughead For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2023, 11:43am   #52
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 42.4%

Thanked 7,164 Times in 3,173 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

The arthritis in my knee went from being an occasional nuisance, to a chronic problem right around the time I turned 50. It is still my biggest age-related issue, but I have a few other less severe ones. At 59 now, I still jog when the knee is good, and still do some weightlifting. I just got back from a 10 mile bike ride. Life could be a lot worse.
Mick is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2023, 11:45am   #53
Louie Detroit
Barn Stall Owner #0331

Thanked 7,949 Times in 3,260 Posts

At age 55 a pinched nerve in my neck due to spinal stenosis really threw me into the shitter. Five cervical vertebrae fused and it didn’t help a lick but make my wallet a bit lighter. Youth is wasted on the young.
Louie Detroit is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Louie Detroit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2023, 11:54am   #54
Onebadcad
Barn Stall Owner #116
Doesn't have a big thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
That's one of the reasons I didn't retire. Have witnessed, heard and read about guys who retire and then are dead within 2 years. Plus I like money and am glad I didn't retire during Bidenenomics. Inflation is ridiculous, I would definitely be second guessing myself had I retired.
I agree, as retiring and doing almost nothing is a certain, quick death.
I have see many with a high quality of life and activity into their 80s, and the key with ALL of them was staying active.
As you get older doing physical things is key, maybe not all the things you used to enjoy, but accept what you can still do.
If you can walk a couple miles everyday, you are going to see the sun tomorrow.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onebadcad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2023, 12:06pm   #55
Taurus
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
You're right, we've all heard the stories of people that retire and let themselves and their sense of self worth go to the point they don't last long. There's also a flip side to that story. The guy below on the right in the dark tux was my closest friend and best man at my wedding. We took different routes in life, I went down the corporate road while Ron started his own business. He was as hard a working man as you would ever meet and was very successful but at a cost and the stress and excessive hours were hard on him. One night just before I decided to retire he went into work that evening and never came home. They found him in the yard under some fresh snow the next morning, he had a massive heat attack and died on he spot. If any man deserved a happy retirement it was Ron, his fate also played a large role in my decision to retire.

If you've already won the game stop playing.

Old 07-06-2023, 12:20pm   #56
zeek
A Real Barner

Thanked 7,662 Times in 2,606 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $555

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post

I totally agree with this statement. Being a contributing member of society is good for the mind and body. That's why Im still in the game, even if it is only part time now...
zeek is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zeek For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2023, 12:29pm   #57
zeek
A Real Barner

Thanked 7,662 Times in 2,606 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $555

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
...... Since I retired, it was like flipping a switch. I can still 'do' everything, but I mentally don't want to. I'm lazy now. Unmotivated. ........
This statement is the reason I worked full time as long as I did. I was always afraid that I would become a lazy slob once I retired. I can see where it could be very easy to become lethargic and lazy. I fill my time with hobbies, working on my cars, the gym and PT working in the field that I really enjoy. Unless something unexpected health wise happens, I dont see myself sitting on my ass any time soon....
zeek is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zeek For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2023, 12:32pm   #58
Taurus
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek View Post
I totally agree with this statement. Being a contributing member of society is good for the mind and body. That's why Im still in the game, even if it is only part time now...
Agreed, I may not be earning a paycheck but I find my volunteer work just as rewarding.
Old 07-06-2023, 12:38pm   #59
Jughead
A Real Barner
Activity: 8.6%

Location: 1.Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebadcad View Post
I agree, as retiring and doing almost nothing is a certain, quick death.
I have see many with a high quality of life and activity into their 80s, and the key with ALL of them was staying active.
As you get older doing physical things is key, maybe not all the things you used to enjoy, but accept what you can still do.
If you can walk a couple miles everyday, you are going to see the sun tomorrow.
Yeah, I was running long before running became hip & cool. I put tons of miles in HS and college via cross country and then more running with basketball. Thats why now I hate walking, plus I currently have a torn meniscus that frequently goes out.

Have arthritis in wrist, knees, shoulders and elbow's but I do manage to do upper body with weights.

and .......
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 1:46pm   #60
69camfrk
Barn Stall Owner #6969
NCM Supporter '11, '12,'17,'20
Activity: 4.3%

Thanked 11,508 Times in 5,030 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1071547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
The Air Force has done the same to my son, hard to watch.
I was a heavy aircraft for the AF for 23 years. It broke me....
69camfrk is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic