Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  
 
Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2021, 11:41am   #1
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 96,170, Level: 100
Activity: 68.0%
 
mrvette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orange Park Florida
Posts: 53,053
Thanks: 27,173
Thanked 8,772 Times in 4,690 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393
Default Hotrod C3 '89 truck block 350

OK from a previous thread, I filled the entire oil sump with water, when I thought it was ready to go last week......and so BOTH heads off to the head shop for some psychy exam.......

short block on stand now....pan off bottom......water pump sealed on short block front.....so going to take lower hose, and hold up high, and fill with water, and see if any dripping/FLOW from lower OIL areas of engine....full up to top of water passages......how legit a test you all think this is???

figger leave it overnight to check pan in the AM.....


mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:45am   #2
DJ_Critterus
Stall Owner #1120.2520
Points: 71,647, Level: 100
Activity: 99.3%
 
DJ_Critterus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The leeward side of Anger Island
Posts: 30,942
Thanks: 11,187
Thanked 12,046 Times in 5,336 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209
Default

What did Stan, Gene, or Bob at AP&M have to say?
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 1:51pm   #3
JetMechZ16
A Real Barner
Points: 41,983, Level: 100
Activity: 52.0%
 
JetMechZ16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: SouthEast Tn.
Posts: 6,480
Thanks: 1,610
Thanked 8,993 Times in 3,404 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $856744
Default

I would have started by not filling the oil sump with water, but that's just me.
JetMechZ16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JetMechZ16 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2021, 1:58pm   #4
DJ_Critterus
Stall Owner #1120.2520
Points: 71,647, Level: 100
Activity: 99.3%
 
DJ_Critterus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The leeward side of Anger Island
Posts: 30,942
Thanks: 11,187
Thanked 12,046 Times in 5,336 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMechZ16 View Post
I would have started by not filling the oil sump with water, but that's just me.
This is Gene you are talking about and you have ever seen frankenvette
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ_Critterus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2021, 2:06pm   #5
JetMechZ16
A Real Barner
Points: 41,983, Level: 100
Activity: 52.0%
 
JetMechZ16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: SouthEast Tn.
Posts: 6,480
Thanks: 1,610
Thanked 8,993 Times in 3,404 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $856744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
This is Gene you are talking about and you have ever seen frankenvette
Yes I have seen it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ugly vette..jpg
Views:	4
Size:	534.2 KB
ID:	60438
JetMechZ16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JetMechZ16 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2021, 2:18pm   #6
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Points: 34,943, Level: 100
Activity: 99.0%
 
Steve_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: On the beach
Posts: 12,991
Thanks: 5,946
Thanked 17,622 Times in 5,830 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333
Default

Why did you fill the sump with water?
Steve_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 2:19pm   #7
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 96,170, Level: 100
Activity: 68.0%
 
mrvette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orange Park Florida
Posts: 53,053
Thanks: 27,173
Thanked 8,772 Times in 4,690 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393
Default

WELL, the trick IS.....to ID the damn point of failure allowing the OIL SUMP to be filled with WATER/antifreeze when I thought the job was over with.....

so going to fill the water jacket up to head deck height and see if any drainage overnight.......damn expensive these daze to find another short block.....even used, and then the WTF?

mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 2:21pm   #8
DJ_Critterus
Stall Owner #1120.2520
Points: 71,647, Level: 100
Activity: 99.3%
 
DJ_Critterus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The leeward side of Anger Island
Posts: 30,942
Thanks: 11,187
Thanked 12,046 Times in 5,336 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMechZ16 View Post
Yes I have seen it.

Attachment 60438
in person?
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 2:38pm   #9
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 96,170, Level: 100
Activity: 68.0%
 
mrvette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orange Park Florida
Posts: 53,053
Thanks: 27,173
Thanked 8,772 Times in 4,690 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
in person?
Not being washed in months now, being cats setting all over it the whole thing is getting to be an issue with me.....age 77 and only good for maybe 3 hours/day at MOST working on it.....

with I could get a Doc to work on my skeleton that much......
mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrvette For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2021, 3:26pm   #10
DJ_Critterus
Stall Owner #1120.2520
Points: 71,647, Level: 100
Activity: 99.3%
 
DJ_Critterus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The leeward side of Anger Island
Posts: 30,942
Thanks: 11,187
Thanked 12,046 Times in 5,336 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
Not being washed in months now, being cats setting all over it the whole thing is getting to be an issue with me.....age 77 and only good for maybe 3 hours/day at MOST working on it.....

with I could get a Doc to work on my skeleton that much......
I can get a veterinarian to help you out, but you'll probably jsut get put down....
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DJ_Critterus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2021, 9:03pm   #11
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner
Points: 38,444, Level: 100
Activity: 20.0%
 
Grey Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 17,647
Thanks: 8,944
Thanked 6,099 Times in 2,738 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $46272
Default

Do they offer magnafluxing at the shop you are using? Or is there any type colored dye you can add to the water to make it easier to see if it is leaking? Even food coloring vs just plain water or something that shows up under a black light.

Remember, once in the car the entire system will be pressurized vs just trying to fill it with water and looking for a leak.
Grey Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:02pm   #12
bill_daniels
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Points: 129,541, Level: 100
Activity: 94.0%
 
bill_daniels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston, Tejas, Estados Unidos
Posts: 50,588
Thanks: 18,104
Thanked 23,375 Times in 10,525 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMechZ16 View Post
I would have started by not filling the oil sump with water, but that's just me.
Exactly. That's what Brawndo is for. It's got what engines need!
bill_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bill_daniels For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2021, 7:45am   #13
DJ_Critterus
Stall Owner #1120.2520
Points: 71,647, Level: 100
Activity: 99.3%
 
DJ_Critterus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The leeward side of Anger Island
Posts: 30,942
Thanks: 11,187
Thanked 12,046 Times in 5,336 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
Do they offer magnafluxing at the shop you are using? Or is there any type colored dye you can add to the water to make it easier to see if it is leaking? Even food coloring vs just plain water or something that shows up under a black light.

Remember, once in the car the entire system will be pressurized vs just trying to fill it with water and looking for a leak.
This is the shop where my dad works and they do offer magna flux. The expensive part is paying to put the parts in the boiler to clean all the grime and crap off of them.
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 8:00am   #14
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 96,170, Level: 100
Activity: 68.0%
 
mrvette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orange Park Florida
Posts: 53,053
Thanks: 27,173
Thanked 8,772 Times in 4,690 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
This is the shop where my dad works and they do offer magna flux. The expensive part is paying to put the parts in the boiler to clean all the grime and crap off of them.
Do you know Oscar at OP cyl head?? turns out some 20 years ago I got those heads worked over by his Father's place...Dover cyl head??

at any rate I going to your Dad's place this AM to pick up the heads, two of them this time round......and hopefully this weekend some flooring tile will be moved from the garage, so I can move shit around to make room to get the short block outta the garage and into a pickup and take it to your Dad's place.....I"m still going to try my own setup here, but I need to tape off some water jacket holes on lower edge of block where cyl heads go.....forcing water higher in the water jacket, and see if any dripping out the open bottom end....if it does, then I know the block is trash, and I be in market for a new short block.....lovely.....need to be a roller block too boot...so L98 at oldest...LT be better......
mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 8:49am   #15
DJ_Critterus
Stall Owner #1120.2520
Points: 71,647, Level: 100
Activity: 99.3%
 
DJ_Critterus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The leeward side of Anger Island
Posts: 30,942
Thanks: 11,187
Thanked 12,046 Times in 5,336 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
Do you know Oscar at OP cyl head?? turns out some 20 years ago I got those heads worked over by his Father's place...Dover cyl head??

at any rate I going to your Dad's place this AM to pick up the heads, two of them this time round......and hopefully this weekend some flooring tile will be moved from the garage, so I can move shit around to make room to get the short block outta the garage and into a pickup and take it to your Dad's place.....I"m still going to try my own setup here, but I need to tape off some water jacket holes on lower edge of block where cyl heads go.....forcing water higher in the water jacket, and see if any dripping out the open bottom end....if it does, then I know the block is trash, and I be in market for a new short block.....lovely.....need to be a roller block too boot...so L98 at oldest...LT be better......
Have you looked at the shop? I'm sure they have the block you need.
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 9:32am   #16
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 96,170, Level: 100
Activity: 68.0%
 
mrvette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orange Park Florida
Posts: 53,053
Thanks: 27,173
Thanked 8,772 Times in 4,690 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
Have you looked at the shop? I'm sure they have the block you need.
Nah, not invited back there, and they have a nasty looking brown dawg, Pitbull?? guarding the gate.....so I never been back there.....judging from the stuff visible up front, plenty of more stuff in back.....

mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:11am   #17
Torqaholic
A Real Barner
Points: 18,157, Level: 93
Activity: 74.0%
 
Torqaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 4,394
Thanks: 55
Thanked 1,481 Times in 898 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $15637580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
... they have a nasty looking brown dawg, Pitbull?? ...
Smart man, dog gets a whiff of cat from you and you're a goner
Torqaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Torqaholic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2021, 1:37pm   #18
DJ_Critterus
Stall Owner #1120.2520
Points: 71,647, Level: 100
Activity: 99.3%
 
DJ_Critterus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The leeward side of Anger Island
Posts: 30,942
Thanks: 11,187
Thanked 12,046 Times in 5,336 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
Nah, not invited back there, and they have a nasty looking brown dawg, Pitbull?? guarding the gate.....so I never been back there.....judging from the stuff visible up front, plenty of more stuff in back.....

Dina? She will slobber all over you and nothing more. that dog is a ***** unless she's chasing rats or other dogs (not Little Bit who is also there).
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ_Critterus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2021, 5:25pm   #19
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 96,170, Level: 100
Activity: 68.0%
 
mrvette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orange Park Florida
Posts: 53,053
Thanks: 27,173
Thanked 8,772 Times in 4,690 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
Have you looked at the shop? I'm sure they have the block you need.
Well, I going to fill the block much as possible, and if drainage through watt wood be the oil pan area....it's a scratch......for sure so to do some calls tmrw and find out if they have anything available.....gotta be a roller engine SBC....just not up to much of anything else......damnit......
mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 8:17pm   #20
DJ_Critterus
Stall Owner #1120.2520
Points: 71,647, Level: 100
Activity: 99.3%
 
DJ_Critterus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The leeward side of Anger Island
Posts: 30,942
Thanks: 11,187
Thanked 12,046 Times in 5,336 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
Well, I going to fill the block much as possible, and if drainage through watt wood be the oil pan area....it's a scratch......for sure so to do some calls tmrw and find out if they have anything available.....gotta be a roller engine SBC....just not up to much of anything else......damnit......
the T-bucket I had.... the block was made into a roller. Not hard to do or expensive, either.
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:20pm.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - 2021 The Vette Barn


Support the Barn:
 
Download the Mobile App;
 
Follow us on Facebook:

Become a Stall Owner

 

Apple iOS App        Google Android App

 

Visit our Facebook page