Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > C1 & C2 Corvette > C1 & C2 Corvette Open Discussion
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

C1 & C2 Corvette Open Discussion General and technical C1 & C2 Corvette discussion - ownership, maintenance, repairs, modifications, restoration

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-24-2023, 5:06pm   #1
SJW
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default Converting to under-car exhaust

Okay, here's a post that might stimulate a little technical activity.

I yanked the deafening sidepipes off of my '63 and gave 'em to Dennis (Bluestripe).

I have a spank-new 2-1/2" system from Gardner ready to go under the car (yes, the car has 2-1/2" manifolds).

The grainy illustrations in the umpteenth-generation copy of the AIM isn't a lot of help with such details as the positioning of the two headpipe heat shields, etc. The service manual and Noland's book aren't a lot of help in this regard, either, unless I've somehow overlooked something in either of them.

I'm also waffling between using a reproduction '63 front hanger (at the crossmember), or a repro '64-and-later hanger. It's been suggested to me that the later hanger is a simpler and superior design which does appear to be the case, and my car's far from original, so I'm not hung up on making that detail look "right." I have one of each of the hangers on hand, but am not yet clear on how either of them is to be correctly installed.

I'll also be using modern band clamps that won't crimp the pipes. The T-10 is going to have to come out of this car to address some niggling issues at some point in its future, but I'm not willing to deal with that now, so making future removal of the exhaust as easy as possible is a priority.

So... Who has nice under-side photos that would be helpful to a guy in my situation?

Helpful hints, advice, etc, are also welcome, as always.

TIA!

Live well,

SJW
SJW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SJW For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 9:41pm   #2
AUTOHOLIC
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 2.5%

Exhaust systems are not rocket science especially if you are not worried about the minute details for judging. No matter whose system you buy there are ALWAYS tweak to be done. I say just start installing it and make adjustments/changes as necessary.
1965 Rally red/black leather coupe with stealth 383 appears like a factory 365 h.p. engine
1966 Nassau blue/blue L72 convertible
1972 El Camino SS Silver/black
2011 Polaris RZR 900
AUTOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AUTOHOLIC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2023, 1:14pm   #3
RatDog
Barn Stall Owner #114
Activity: 0.7%

Sorry Steve, my car has sidepipes so I’m no help. But happy to give your post a bump.

Take care,
Steve
RatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 1:55pm   #4
SJW
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTOHOLIC View Post
Exhaust systems are not rocket science especially if you are not worried about the minute details for judging. No matter whose system you buy there are ALWAYS tweak to be done. I say just start installing it and make adjustments/changes as necessary.
Um, yeah.

Having been a full-time auto mechanic through a number of my younger years, and kept my ASE master automobile technician certification current until I decided to let it go in 2017, I think I'm probably capable of putting exhaust pipes and mufflers together, twisting them into position, and zapping fasteners onto clamps, hangers and manifold studs.

This thread was partly provoked by comments in another thread that lamented the shortage of technical chatter on this site, and partly by a desire to get a better handle on placement of the forward heat shields, and the pluses/minuses with respect to the different forward hanger designs, with the idea that it might be a shortcut to having to figure out those things while lying on a creeper.

Live well,

SJW
SJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 11:13am   #5
AUTOHOLIC
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 2.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJW View Post
Um, yeah.

Having been a full-time auto mechanic through a number of my younger years, and kept my ASE master automobile technician certification current until I decided to let it go in 2017, I think I'm probably capable of putting exhaust pipes and mufflers together, twisting them into position, and zapping fasteners onto clamps, hangers and manifold studs.

This thread was partly provoked by comments in another thread that lamented the shortage of technical chatter on this site, and partly by a desire to get a better handle on placement of the forward heat shields, and the pluses/minuses with respect to the different forward hanger designs, with the idea that it might be a shortcut to having to figure out those things while lying on a creeper.

Live well,

SJW
If you would have said the above in my thread “Tell us about yourself” I would have known this and not posted what I did.
1965 Rally red/black leather coupe with stealth 383 appears like a factory 365 h.p. engine
1966 Nassau blue/blue L72 convertible
1972 El Camino SS Silver/black
2011 Polaris RZR 900
AUTOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > C1 & C2 Corvette > C1 & C2 Corvette Open Discussion