Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-29-2016, 5:53pm   #1
ApexOversteer
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 7,684 Times in 3,615 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $975924
Default Did I Do Something Bad In A Previous Life? Buying House Comedy Of Errors Continues...

House #1... seller, the Veterans Administration, rescinded contract because they had no clear title to the property.

House #2... house represented as stick-built, turns out to be manufactured with aluminum wiring on inspection. Walked away.

House #3... Great house, great neighborhood, great location, paint some rooms and move in. Seller is a fmr Marine, evidence points to messy divorce in process, he's so tight on this deal he's squeaking. He's borrowing the closing costs from his father, just to sell the place. We're picking up half the closing costs under the table. Officially he's paying them all. We want this house. He can't move one inch on the price, he's at critical mass.

I've been moving my shit into a storage unit nearby the place, because this one has been done deal, inspection passed with flying colors, our financials have been ready for a year, it's all done but the heavy lifting... except...

The appraisal was this week and guess what the appraiser has to go and declare? Tidewater. He can't find comps to support the asking.

My agent is like "here's two, and two more, and two more." The listing agent is like "and here are a few more that I used when we priced it."

None of us can understand why we can all find these comps, but this guy can't...

So... Pvt Penis Pump has a problem. His house isn't worth what he's asking.

Hate. The. World.
ApexOversteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 5:59pm   #2
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 33,385 Times in 13,465 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

Are you able to come up with the delta between appraised value and sales price? as long as the mortgage company isn't upside down, the rest of the price is up to you.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 6:15pm   #3
ApexOversteer
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post
Are you able to come up with the delta between appraised value and sales price? as long as the mortgage company isn't upside down, the rest of the price is up to you.
We only just got on this today, we're exploring options. We have lender hoops to jump through too, property-wise...
Old 12-29-2016, 6:20pm   #4
ApexOversteer
A Real Barner

We haven't even been told what the appraised value is yet. We've just been told he declared tidewater and that the two agents have been supplying him with the missing comps.
Old 12-29-2016, 6:36pm   #5
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 30,506 Times in 14,292 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108033784

Please explain "tidewater".
snide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 7:03pm   #6
ApexOversteer
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by snide View Post
Please explain "tidewater".
I'm just learning myself... my agent sent me this...

Quote:

What is a Tidewater Appraisal? I just found out myself this week. I found out because this is the second Tidewater Appraisal issue I have had in the last week. None in 10 years, two in the last week!

The first came in as an email from the buyer's agent on one of my listings, "I'm sorry to inform you that we came in Tide Water on the appraisal. Value is $15,000 low." I had never heard this slang term before, so I asked my lender and my escrow provider. Nope. None of us knew what the slang term meant.

I replied that the appraisal had come in at my listing price and I was not surprised the appraisal came in low as there were no comps to support their contract price. I told the buyer's agent that she was the one who wrote it for $15,000 more and said there were comps to support the price, so it was her responsiblity to resolve the appraisal issue.

Today, we saw it from the other side. We got a call from the Underwriter who said we had a Tidewater Appraisal Initiative issue on a buyer's home purchase. Wait, THAT doesn't sound like a slang term!

Why do I rely on my preferred lender? Because his call to me was not only to tell me about the issue; his call was to tell me that he had found out that Tidewater was not a slang term it was the Tidewater Appraisal Initiative. He got the Underwriter to educate him all about it.

The Tidewater Initiative gives the point of contact (the Underwriter) the opportunity to challenge an appraisal if the appraiser thinks the appraisal will come in under the sales price. Obviously, the appraiser must think there is a chance they are wrong - why else would the ask for help? They cannot reveal the appraised amount, only that they are soliciting accurate comparables to support the sales price.

This made us nervous. It flies in the face of the new standard that we cannot influence the appraiser regarding value in any way. We checked and double-checked the information. Sure enough. The Tidewater Appraisal Initiative was specifically passed for VA purchasers to mitigate the uncertainity in today's market. If you search the Internet, you'll find there are numerous blogs where real estate professionals are appealing to HUD to adopt the guidelines. Tick Tock!

Interestingly, on this second Tidewater Appraisal issue, we quickly and easily found seven recent closed sales - all comparables - that easily support the contract sales price. We promptly submitted them to the Underwriter. She replied that she had forwarded them to the appraiser in compliance with Tidewater guidelines.

I will be curious to see how this plays out, but I wanted you to find valid information about the Tidewater Appraisal Issue if you Googled What is a Tidewater Appraisal? or even What is Tide Water? (Remember, I struck out on my Google search last week, that's why I am not using the formal title for this informative article; I'm using the new industry slang. This article is intended to help you find what I could not find during my first Google search attempt.)

I had to search...and search...and search to find something official this time around, so I feel better about not finding anything when I searched for slang terms last week!

Here is the most official citation I have come across so far. I found it on Page 3 of my Google search. Interestingingly, the word Tidewater is nowhere in the release! Before I found this, I found several search results that are blogs from appraisers talking about the Tidewater Appraisal Initiative - both for and against.

The Tidewater Appraisal Initiative, originally called the Tidewater Experiment is a legitimate effort to help out veterans that are active in the market right now and isn't that a good thing? I know it feels wrong, but when you consider the Spirit of the Initiative, you can understand it is designed for everyone to be successful. We're the real estate professionals. The possiblity that we have access to comparables that an appraiser may not have access to is legitimate. There are plenty of checks and balances in place to prevent this from being abused. I wanted you to know more about it so that you, like me, can embrace Tidewater. Also, you can answer the question when one of your friends asks, What is a Tidewater Appraisal?
The Following User Says Thank You to ApexOversteer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2016, 7:06pm   #7
VatorMan
Barn Stall Owner #122
NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'17
Activity: 12.2%

Thanked 8,381 Times in 4,242 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1158963

I have a feeling that term came from Norfolk area. It's commonly referred to as Tidewater.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 7:06pm   #8
ApexOversteer
A Real Barner

We've got two days to provide the comps... which two days? Was today one of those days? If not, is Monday? I love having questions that I ask and people go silent...
Old 12-29-2016, 7:17pm   #9
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 30,506 Times in 14,292 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108033784

Damn.

I guess now is not the time to tell you that we looked at one house, made an offer, and came to an agreement with the seller...
snide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 8:22pm   #10
ApexOversteer
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by snide View Post
Damn.

I guess now is not the time to tell you that we looked at one house, made an offer, and came to an agreement with the seller...
Yeah yeah... got an invite to a house warming for a couple the wife and I met at an open house in October and the lady loved all the suggestions the wife had for the place...

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic