Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-01-2021, 8:37pm   #121
BOTY
A Real Barner
Activity: 2.1%

Thanked 13,170 Times in 6,028 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $15019343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
Yup. Thinking a webmaster or anyone cares is hopeless. CF is owned by a huge private company that owns countless web forums. Their annual revenue exceeds $100M. IB cares about making money - period.
BOTY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BOTY For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2021, 8:38pm   #122
99 pewtercoupe
Barn Stall Owner #74
Barn Raising II

Bantayan Kids '13,'17
Activity: 6.1%

Thanked 14,832 Times in 6,552 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $10393746

IB is a large corporate owner of many popular web sites. If anyone thinks that they (IB) give a rats ass about what users think, they are delusional

https://www.internetbrands.com/our-brands/
99 pewtercoupe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 99 pewtercoupe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2021, 9:59pm   #123
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 54.0%

Thanked 18,527 Times in 8,177 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

Quote:
I told sandy to stfu and she sent me a pic of her laying on the beach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
are you going to share with the rest of the class????
YW
Attached Thumbnails
italy-sardinia-arutas-beach.jpg  

dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvarapala For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2021, 10:20pm   #124
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 9.0%

Thanked 33,021 Times in 14,161 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17500122

She’s lost some weight.
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DAB For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 12:05am   #125
ZL1Vette
Vette Barn Regular
Activity: 4.9%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $560

Quote:
Yup. Thinking a webmaster or anyone cares is hopeless. CF is owned by a huge private company that owns countless web forums. Their annual revenue exceeds $100M. IB cares about making money - period.
What kind of business model includes getting rid of your most loyal, tenured subscribers and members ?
ZL1Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZL1Vette For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 12:25am   #126
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 90.6%

Thanked 41,264 Times in 17,158 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Vette View Post
What kind of business model includes getting rid of your most loyal, tenured subscribers and members ?

[the NBA, NFL, MLB and Nascar have entered the chat]
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 12:27am   #127
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Location: Not Ceasing & Desisting on the leeward side of Anger Island
Thanked 27,848 Times in 11,759 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post
We can bash the site and the mods here...we just don't have any reason to.
I know I had some interactions with Chemdawg in the past that were clearly racist on his part. Only problem is I can't find them now.
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DJ_Critterus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 1:01am   #128
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 54.0%

Thanked 18,527 Times in 8,177 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
She’s lost some weight.
I still love to feel Sandy.
dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dvarapala For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 1:11am   #129
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,238 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $30682687

Quote:
Consider this: The OT and PR&C sections are CF's "loss leaders". They may be popular and active sections amongst members, but relatively speaking, those sections generate the site virtually no income, as compared to the generational sections that are loaded with supporting vendors, all of which pay a significant monthly fee for that status. Vendor ad threads aren't even allowed in OT/PR&C.

Over the years, and on multiple occasions, CF Admins have flat-out stated their desire to eliminate the OT and PR&C sections entirely. They consider those forum sections to be a nuisance, more trouble than they're worth to maintain. When you understand this, you'll understand their general attitude towards the members that populate those sections exclusively. They just don't care.

The Vette Barn has been here for over 11 years now, and has served as a popular respite for those banned from Corvetteforum. Trust me, we've experienced and heard the identical complaints from every disgruntled member ejected from that place. There's easily several hundred members here that have "been there, done that" prior to you, many of which are banned from CF permanently.

You can try going higher up and complaining to IB, you certainly won't be the first to do so, but I can tell you right now arguing with a wall is apt to produce identical results. Internet Brands operates their (hundred or so) forums with a mostly hands-off approach. They take care of the technical side of things in producing and maintaining the actual websites, and obviously collect all the ad and vendor revenue those sites generate...But they leave the "people problem" conflicts in the hands of the admins of those individual forums.

In this specific situation, contacting CF admin Jim Willis (savewave) once your ban has lifted would be your best bet. This too is likely to fall on deaf ears, just saying he's going to be the one person tasked with addressing this particular complaint. You'll be most likely to receive a response if you can present him a calm, polite, and well-worded letter. Understand he will undoubtedly side with the moderator that made the decision to displace you, so don't expect your complaint alone to produce any real results...But given the likely scenario he's received numerous other complaints regarding said moderator already, that pile of hate mail might eventually become too large for him to ignore. It certainly can't hurt to add to that pile.

Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Y2Kvert4me For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 1:19am   #130
Raazor
2020 Election Expert
Activity: 12.9%

Location: Big Sky Country... Where the men are men, the sheep are nervous, and the winters are LOOONG!!!
Thanked 19,556 Times in 7,273 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1134156

Quote:
pfft..fuggin chump change
Raazor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raazor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 9:34am   #131
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 33,606 Times in 13,601 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

Quote:
Like I said, I have been there 16 years and had 1 minor incident I can't reven recall when it was. Most of the mods there were fair...you could PM them....they would give you warning.

They are clearly scraping the bottom of the barrel when they used somebody like CD. He's clearly power-hungry and is probably going to alienate lots of long-time posters there, particularly those who are on other areas other than PR&C if he moderates there, too.
He's there "ta represent, yo"

Virtue signaling is all. Thank about the timing of his being made a mod.

They needed a racist "anti-racist".
Aerovette is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 9:42am   #132
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me View Post
Consider this: The OT and PR&C sections are CF's "loss leaders". They may be popular and active sections amongst members, but relatively speaking, those sections generate the site virtually no income, as compared to the generational sections that are loaded with supporting vendors, all of which pay a significant monthly fee for that status. Vendor ad threads aren't even allowed in OT/PR&C.

Over the years, and on multiple occasions, CF Admins have flat-out stated their desire to eliminate the OT and PR&C sections entirely. They consider those forum sections to be a nuisance, more trouble than they're worth to maintain. When you understand this, you'll understand their general attitude towards the members that populate those sections exclusively. They just don't care.

The Vette Barn has been here for over 11 years now, and has served as a popular respite for those banned from Corvetteforum. Trust me, we've experienced and heard the identical complaints from every disgruntled member ejected from that place. There's easily several hundred members here that have "been there, done that" prior to you, many of which are banned from CF permanently.

You can try going higher up and complaining to IB, you certainly won't be the first to do so, but I can tell you right now arguing with a wall is apt to produce identical results. Internet Brands operates their (hundred or so) forums with a mostly hands-off approach. They take care of the technical side of things in producing and maintaining the actual websites, and obviously collect all the ad and vendor revenue those sites generate...But they leave the "people problem" conflicts in the hands of the admins of those individual forums.

In this specific situation, contacting CF admin Jim Willis (savewave) once your ban has lifted would be your best bet. This too is likely to fall on deaf ears, just saying he's going to be the one person tasked with addressing this particular complaint. You'll be most likely to receive a response if you can present him a calm, polite, and well-worded letter. Understand he will undoubtedly side with the moderator that made the decision to displace you, so don't expect your complaint alone to produce any real results...But given the likely scenario he's received numerous other complaints regarding said moderator already, that pile of hate mail might eventually become too large for him to ignore. It certainly can't hurt to add to that pile.

All of this sounds reasonable and probable, but the extreme exceptions made over time, say otherwise. CHAS for example, was great for coming in and smacking the hornet's nest, then switching to victim mode. It would have made the mod's lives so much easier to remove HIM, than to remove the hornets. They chose the removal of other members every time, until he finally crossed a line. Seems they can be their own worst enemy in many cases. There are members that seek out and attract conflict and they were there years ago and they'll be there years from now. If they REALLY wanted to fix it, they could. I'm guessing there is a thin line between the rules and traffic reduction that might result if they enforced them properly.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 10:48am   #133
ZL1Vette
Vette Barn Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me View Post
Consider this: The OT and PR&C sections are CF's "loss leaders". They may be popular and active sections amongst members, but relatively speaking, those sections generate the site virtually no income, as compared to the generational sections that are loaded with supporting vendors, all of which pay a significant monthly fee for that status. Vendor ad threads aren't even allowed in OT/PR&C. Over the years, and on multiple occasions, CF Admins have flat-out stated their desire to eliminate the OT and PR&C sections entirely. They consider those forum sections to be a nuisance, more trouble than they're worth to maintain. When you understand this, you'll understand their general attitude towards the members that populate those sections exclusively. They just don't care.
And yet for the most part I would say 99.99% of the posts in PR&C (can't speak for OT as I spend most of my time in PR&C) are fine and don't need any moderating.

Most of the PR&C folks know one another after all these years and don't need to be babysat. Occasionally you get a troll or RIM creating asinine threads, but that's about it.

THOSE problems were NOTHING compared to the garbage they've elevated to moderator status.

Queston....are those new mods like Chemsleaze just moderating PR&C and OT or are they in the main car/Corvette threads, too ?
Old 01-02-2021, 10:50am   #134
ZL1Vette
Vette Barn Regular

Quote:
He's there "ta represent, yo" Virtue signaling is all. Thank about the timing of his being made a mod. They needed a racist "anti-racist".
Yeah, so we got an Al Sharpton wannabe.
Old 01-02-2021, 11:24am   #135
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 41.0%

Thanked 7,041 Times in 3,109 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
All of this sounds reasonable and probable, but the extreme exceptions made over time, say otherwise. CHAS for example, was great for coming in and smacking the hornet's nest, then switching to victim mode. It would have made the mod's lives so much easier to remove HIM, than to remove the hornets. They chose the removal of other members every time, until he finally crossed a line. Seems they can be their own worst enemy in many cases. There are members that seek out and attract conflict and they were there years ago and they'll be there years from now. If they REALLY wanted to fix it, they could. I'm guessing there is a thin line between the rules and traffic reduction that might result if they enforced them properly.
I said that for years about the bar threads: There were 3-4 posters who stirred up 99% of the shit. All they needed to do was start moderating them, and the shit would more or less evaporate, but they chose not to.

I used to be a moderator on some distance running related boards (over a decade ago now!), it really isn't a hard job. Someone breaks the rules, they get a warning. Second infraction of the same rule, short vacation. Third infraction, medium vacation. Fourth infraction, long vacation. I don't ever remember giving out a long vacation, people got the idea pretty quickly what was tolerated and what was not.
Mick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:53am   #136
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I said that for years about the bar threads: There were 3-4 posters who stirred up 99% of the shit. All they needed to do was start moderating them, and the shit would more or less evaporate, but they chose not to.

I used to be a moderator on some distance running related boards (over a decade ago now!), it really isn't a hard job. Someone breaks the rules, they get a warning. Second infraction of the same rule, short vacation. Third infraction, medium vacation. Fourth infraction, long vacation. I don't ever remember giving out a long vacation, people got the idea pretty quickly what was tolerated and what was not.
Mods should be thicker skinned if they want that responsibility. It's not like they are New York cops getting canned food thrown at them. They ask for snipes with their idiocy and then punish you for giving what they asked for. If I get a perma, I am 100% certain it will be Scumdawg that does it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 1:16pm   #137
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 41.0%

Thanked 7,041 Times in 3,109 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
Mods should be thicker skinned if they want that responsibility. It's not like they are New York cops getting canned food thrown at them. They ask for snipes with their idiocy and then punish you for giving what they asked for. If I get a perma, I am 100% certain it will be Scumdawg that does it.
It wouldn't surprise me.

The board as it currently stands is more or less unusable for me with those liberal moderators passing out punishments for "wrong think", that being anything that disagrees with the liberal agenda.
Mick is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 1:42pm   #138
ZL1Vette
Vette Barn Regular

Quote:
Maybe one or more of us should be mods......
The Following User Says Thank You to ZL1Vette For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 1:48pm   #139
Anjdog2003
Due to inflation they are no longer free
Activity: 63.3%

Thanked 25,654 Times in 9,983 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $324490

I think i should be a Mod. I never stir shit up or talk smack with anyone here. I feel i bring tranquility, enlightenment, and just a good feeling among us.

Anjdog2003 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anjdog2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 1:54pm   #140
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 68.0%

Thanked 33,356 Times in 11,703 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

I got a “Warning, your post has been removed” PM from there today. Not even a post in OT or P&R, but in C8 For Sale section. Some guy with limited English skills has an ad for a C8 and he’s asking way over MSRP because it’s a “pre-COVID” model, which makes it collectible. I simply asked why that makes it collectible.
Steve_R is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic