Joecooool
Barn Stall Owner #10
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,765 Times in 758 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8563902
Default Sounds about right

Republicans support Obamacare by any other name

By Greg Sargent

For Republicans, nothing captures what they loathe about Barack Obama’s presidency more perfectly than Obamacare — it’s Big Government run amok and an existential threat to American liberty. But it turns out Republicans like what’s actually in the law.

The Reuters-Ipsos poll taken June 19-23 found that Obamacare remains deeply unpopular: 56 percent of Americans oppose the law vs. 44 percent who favor it. But the poll also found that strong majorities favor the law’s individual provisions — including solid majorities of Republicans.

I asked Ipsos for a partisan breakdown of the data. Key points:

• Eighty percent of Republicans favor “creating an insurance pool where small businesses and uninsured have access to insurance exchanges to take advantage of large group pricing benefits.” That point is backed by 75 percent of respondents who self-describe as independents.

• Fifty-seven percent of Republicans support “providing subsidies on a sliding scale to aid individuals and families who cannot afford health insurance.” That same sentiment is backed by 67 percent of independents.

• Fifty-four percent of Republicans favor “requiring companies with more than 50 employees to provide insurance for their employees.” That idea is backed by 75 percent of independents.

• Fifty-two percent of Republicans favor “allowing children to stay on parents insurance until age 26.” Sixty-nine percent of independents agree.

• Seventy-eight percent of Republicans support “banning insurance companies from denying coverage for pre-existing conditions”; 86 percent of Republicans favor “banning insurance companies from cancelling policies because a person becomes ill.” Those points are backed by 82 percent and 87 percent of independents, respectively.

And one provision that isn’t backed by a majority of Republicans? The one “expanding Medicaid to families with incomes less than $30,000 per year.”

“Most Republicans want to have good health coverage,” Ipsos research director Chris Jackson told me. “They just don’t necessarily like what it is Obama is doing.”

Bottom line: Big numbers of Republicans and independents favor regulation of the health insurance system. But the law has become so defined by the individual mandate — not to mention the president himself — that public sentiment on the actual reforms has been drowned out. It’s another sign of the conservative messaging triumph in this fight and Democrats’ failure to make the case for the law.

These data also suggest that if the law is struck down, Democrats might be able to salvage at least something from the wreckage by refocusing the debate on the individual reforms they have been championing — and what, if anything, Republicans would replace them with.

Read more here: Republicans support Obamacare by any other name - From Our Inbox - MiamiHerald.com
Joecooool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 4:57pm   #2
Torqaholic
A Real Barner
Activity: 20.9%

Thanked 4,388 Times in 2,405 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $15637580

I just dropped in to see how bad you got yourself flamed this time.

Looks like I'm early to the party

Won't speak for anybody else but as far as I am concerned we can abolish insurance companies altogether. Can't afford to buy medical treatment? Then suffer. Same as mankind has done for millennia.
Torqaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 5:12pm   #3
Loco Vette
Barn Stall Owner #54
Barn Raising II,III

Bantayan Kids '13,'17
Activity: 5.4%

Thanked 6,922 Times in 2,622 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6027980

I went looking for the raw data on the poll including all of the questions and where they were asked, but I'm not paying $95 to subscribe to a dissertation on spin.
Loco Vette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 6:58pm   #4
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 11.2%

Thanked 11,567 Times in 5,704 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

OK Phil, this brings up many topics, and so I worked for a year in my father's insurance office in Wash DC, then tried again as a outside sales agent, quit when it was obvious I was not a salesman.....

Dad was into group health insurance, coming from Ohio born in 1905, and working as a carpenter, then with design engineers for Glem Martin Aircraft...an A/E school at Univ of Md. bares the Martin name....
1032 went into the insurance business trading/bartering insurance premiums with the unemployed on the gritty streets of Cleveland Ohio....Dad became successful enough to get transferred to Wash DC in 1939 I was born in '44....quit working for major companies, and formed his own agency.....

One night in the mid 50's me watching Howdy Doody or some such crap on the B/W TV in the living room....600' /floor 2 floors, including staircases....to the back hall was very short, Dad cam home one night and he was ROCKET PISSED....I got scared that he was after me for some BS or other, but no....

He starts in with Mom, not 15' away, as I turned down the TV volume, Dad grabbed not ONE shot from the mysterious bottle in the refr....he had TWO, Mom commented, he said sorry, I need it.....he said words to the affect of....
'I will NOT PAY THE BASTARD'......

Mom did not understand, so Dad named some Senator on the Hill, downtown that was recognizable to me, being Dad was a news hound, guess I picked up his old habit....

Turns out, it was explained to me over dinner to never say a word in school over this, but Dad had a Group Health Proposal bid in for the Dept of Interior....BUT, in order to be open for enrollment to the employees on a nationwide basis, it had to be approved by who/what ever in CONNgress....so this bastard had his hand out or no go.....

so with that intro, I make further comments on your paragraphs from above....

[QUOTE=Joecooool;699380]Republicans support Obamacare by any other name

By Greg Sargent

For Republicans, nothing captures what they loathe about Barack Obama’s presidency more perfectly than Obamacare — it’s Big Government run amok and an existential threat to American liberty. But it turns out Republicans like what’s actually in the law.

The Reuters-Ipsos poll taken June 19-23 found that Obamacare remains deeply unpopular: 56 percent of Americans oppose the law vs. 44 percent who favor it. But the poll also found that strong majorities favor the law’s individual provisions — including solid majorities of Republicans.

I asked Ipsos for a partisan breakdown of the data. Key points:

• Eighty percent of Republicans favor “creating an insurance pool where small businesses and uninsured have access to insurance exchanges to take advantage of large group pricing benefits.” That point is backed by 75 percent of respondents who self-describe as independents.

For some reason, in the early daze of the insurance industry, where actuary work was something weird and developing, the state of New York was the first to regulate that emerging industry, so they passed a series of laws that at that time prohibited health insurance companies from going nation wide....
I been outta the industry, since '68 or so, but that's my best recollections....Since insurance has always been a STATE regulated industry with the majority of states following the NYS regulatory procedures...SO that limited the actuary pool of insured, so ONE case could sink a company, type influence....too much adverse risk, so to be limited by contract.....

• Fifty-seven percent of Republicans support “providing subsidies on a sliding scale to aid individuals and families who cannot afford health insurance.” That same sentiment is backed by 67 percent of independents.

• Fifty-four percent of Republicans favor “requiring companies with more than 50 employees to provide insurance for their employees.” That idea is backed by 75 percent of independents.

This all was fine back in the day when folks lived to a typical 70 or so, today it's forever and ever Amen....age 94 for my Mom....79 for Dad....Dad had the good graces to go quickly, Mom hung on for over ten years.....it's always the women in the nursing homes....by like 95%.....

• Fifty-two percent of Republicans favor “allowing children to stay on parents insurance until age 26.” Sixty-nine percent of independents agree.

With majors in basketweaving and such competing in the job place, and the outsourcing of jobs, hard to fight that popular sentiment today....

• Seventy-eight percent of Republicans support “banning insurance companies from denying coverage for pre-existing conditions”; 86 percent of Republicans favor “banning insurance companies from cancelling policies because a person becomes ill.” Those points are backed by 82 percent and 87 percent of independents, respectively.

And one provision that isn’t backed by a majority of Republicans? The one “expanding Medicaid to families with incomes less than $30,000 per year.”

“Most Republicans want to have good health coverage,” Ipsos research director Chris Jackson told me. “They just don’t necessarily like what it is Obama is doing.”

Bottom line: Big numbers of Republicans and independents favor regulation of the health insurance system. But the law has become so defined by the individual mandate — not to mention the president himself — that public sentiment on the actual reforms has been drowned out. It’s another sign of the conservative messaging triumph in this fight and Democrats’ failure to make the case for the law.

These data also suggest that if the law is struck down, Democrats might be able to salvage at least something from the wreckage by refocusing the debate on the individual reforms they have been championing — and what, if anything, Republicans would replace them with.

I THINK the majority of the failures in the health care system is due because of TOO MUCH Regulation, it should be all nationwide on the bids for any company or group of companies....rates should be uniform across the board, unless there is proven cases for increases rates....like Mining, some manufacturing, etc....

largest thing is to eliminate most all of the .gov regulations, establish a rough framework for companies to bid on clients....

essentially that was my Father's vision, the way he saw the industry....but NO some SOB in some little .gov position gets in the way and shit rips....

and WE pay, even the .gov's own workers....

mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion