Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2019, 2:16pm   #1
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 9.0%

Thanked 33,021 Times in 14,161 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17500122
Default Lessons you can learn from NZ

from FB:

Quote:
Joshua Samuel
March 15 at 12:09 PM
This is my full after-action report of lessons to be learned from the horrific Christchurch, New Zealand terrorist attack that took place yesterday.

As I’m sure the whole world knows by now, that sick POS who shot up that Mosque in New Zealand wore a GoPro or helmet cam while he did it, and he Facebook live broadcasted himself doing it. He used 2 shotguns and 2 AR-15s, and played British Grenadier fife and drum music in the background while he went through the Mosque. This is the first time in history that we have a 1st person shooter footage of an actual mass shooting, and there are extremely valuable tactical lessons that can and ARE being learned from watching it.

Let me start out by saying that my heart goes out to the Muslim community, particularly in New Zealand.

Let me also say that I find it absolutely reprehensible, disgusting, and morally bankrupt that the New Zealand, UK, and Australian governments have been trying to block the video or get it taken down. It’s become clear that they don’t want people to learn from this incident by watching the video to see how these types of threats can be prevented or successfully countered in the future. Not very friendly or neighborly of our absolute closest allies and fellow members of the Five Eyes. This video has extremely legitimate training and educational value for both first responders and civilians alike here in the United States.

That being said, I have watched the video many, MANY times and studied the hell out of it, so that you don’t have to. These are the lessons that can be learned from it:

1) Like most mass shooters, this guy had ZERO legitimate training of any kind.

None.

I won’t get into his GARBAGE “tactics” or “clearing procedures” yet, because that’s a different point altogether, but he wasn’t even trained on his weapons systems. He was clearly only familiar at a very basic level with each of them, but not actually trained on them. He didn’t even know how to do speed reloads or tactical reloads. He didn’t know how to clear malfunctions or do proper weapons transitions. He didn’t bother getting ANY training, because he knew that no one there would have a weapon of any kind or even the will to fight back, and that he would move through the target completely unopposed. And he was completely right.

Lesson: Carry a gun and get training on how to use it. Even if you don’t want to... FIGHT BACK SOMEHOW.

Any way you can.

These guys are LAZY. If you actually bother resisting, you will win.
2) The shooter was able to approach and enter the target building completely unopposed and unencumbered while in full black tactical gear, carrying 2 long guns, and no one did or said anything to prevent or try to stop him. No one even called the cops.

Lesson: Be aware of your surroundings
3) The gate was wide open and the shooter was able to gain access with incredible ease. Once inside, he never opened even one single door the entire time. He ALWAYS chose the path of least resistance.

Lesson: Lock your gates, lock your doors, lock your rooms. If you’re ever in an active shooter situation, don’t have a firearm and you can safely retreat to a room, do it. Even if the room doesn’t have a lock on the door. He didn’t even bother trying the doorknobs. Not every mass shooter is guaranteed to be this lazy, but getting into a room is better than being out in the open.

LOCK YOUR DOORS.
4) The shooter was able to spend a full 6 minutes on target without a police response, and left without ever being engaged by LEOs or anyone else. He literally went out to his car to grab more weapons and ammo, and then came back in the building to finish everyone off, even firing a ton of extra round into already dead bodies. Multiple people can be heard crying and begging for their lives while he mag dumps into them. Others were playing dead, and got shot further, guaranteeing their actual death. He did all of this completely unopposed.

Lesson: Cowering in the corner out in the open and/or “playing dead” during an active shooter event is NOT a viable defensive tactic. Either hide in a room (ideally one with a lock on the door) if you are completely defenseless, or ATTACK HIM.

Which brings me to my next point.
5) There were many, many, many opportunities to engage (attack) the shooter during the many malfunctions and super long, super shitty reloads he had with his garbage weapons that he wasn’t trained on. And yet, no one did. (Don’t worry, I’ll get to that one guy you’re thinking of momentarily.)

Lesson: Weapons malfunctions and reloads are an OPPORTUNITY.

Take advantage of them.

ATTACK HIM.

Take advantage of their complete lack of training, and take them out.
6) This guy’s room clearing procedures were absolutely GARBAGE. They were HEINOUS. He has very clearly never trained to tactically enter a room, hallway, building, or any other enclosed environment. He had no idea what he was doing, nor did he need to, because he knew that no one on target would have a gun, and again, that he would move through his target completely unopposed. Which he did. He gave his back to his victims more than 2 dozen times. He dropped his sector of fire completely, making himself tactically vulnerable more times than i could even count, and believe me, I tried to count them all. There were just too many. Each of those instances was an opportunity for an untrained person to attack him by bum rushing him or shooting him, if they had a gun.

And yet NO ONE took advantage EVEN ONCE.

Now, I know what you’re thinking. “But Josh, what about that one dude who tried to charge him and got shot? He’s a hero!!!”

Listen... I want someone to have been a hero here and have charged this prick with their very last breath and very last effort, just as much as the next guy. I LOVE a good hero story, and I WISH that that dude had been pulling a Jesse Lewis, the 7 year old in Sandy Hook who charged Adam Lanza in a desperate final attempt to defend his classmates.

But unfortunately, that’s just not the case here. Go back and watch the video closely. When the camera pans around and you see that dude run up to the shooter, look at the direction the guy’s torso was heading in. It wasn’t towards the shooter. It was towards the hallway. The exit. He was fleeing for his life, not attempting to take down the shooter. He even tried to use his arm to push passed the shooter. If he had been charging the gunman, his torso would’ve been angled towards the camera, and he would’ve been low, aiming for the guy’s waist or legs. Instead, he was relatively high, angled towards the exits. That guy was no hero. He was a terrified worshipper who just wanted to live. He’s not evil. He was just not trained for this and scared out of his mind. I don’t blame him. But he wasn’t trying to be a hero or save anyone but himself. That’s just the reality.

HOWEVER, before he got shot to death, he DID manage to push the shooter down to the ground.

If he had had a partner and they had tried to bum rush the shooter together, they COULD have stopped him.

Lesson: Look for opportunities to take out the shooter. If they give you their back or aren’t aiming their weapon at you, that’s an opportunity to attack!

If at all possible, find someone else who has the courage to fight back, and the two of you charge him together. Chances are extremely high that you’ll be successful against an untrained mass shooter, especially in close-quarters such as a small room. These guys certainly would’ve been.
7) The mass shooting at the other (Linwood) Mosque, which wasn’t live broadcasted or filmed, was literally stopped by an armed worshipper who SHOT BACK, and caused the shooters to flee! That’s right. In friggin gun control paradise New Zealand, someone had a gun and shot back during a mass shooting, ending it instantly. The MOMENT the other mass shooters were met with armed resistance, they FLED.

(Sidenote... I’m willing to bet that that worshipper was not legally carrying that weapon in public. New Zealand doesn’t issue carry permits.)

Lesson: BE ARMED. Even if it’s against the law. It’s better to save lives and be judged by 12, than let everyone around you die and be carried by 6.

One of my Facebook friends is a soldier in the British Army, and he supports gun control. Until now.

I’m going to quote what he said after he saw this video, and provide screenshots of it:

“Holy shit dude. I take back every word I’ve ever said about arming the people. We should all have guns... How many lives would’ve been saved if someone in that mosque was armed and trained.”

My response? “Yup. Now you get it.”

CARRY A GUN.

This happened in a place where guns are almost completely banned, AR-15s cannot be legally acquired, and the process for getting hunting weapons is INSANELY long, expensive and draconian.

And guess what... it STILL HAPPENED.

CARRY A GUN!!!!!!
In summary:

- Carry a gun

- The cops aren’t going to get there in time. You’re on your own.

- Knowing that, take basic precautionary measures, like locking gates, windows and doors, and being generally aware of your surroundings

- If you find yourself in an active shooter incident, DO NOT PLAY DEAD.

DO NOT curl up, crouch, huddle or lie down in the open

- If you don’t want to confront the shooter, find a room to hide in if you can, preferably one with a lock on the door. Bring everyone you can with you to that room.

- Look for opportunities to attack the shooter, and try to do it with someone.
he makes some good points.
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DAB For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic