Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-2017, 4:10pm   #101
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 19.1%

Thanked 33,869 Times in 12,342 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124

Quote:
As far as transgender serving, I think they should be able to serve in specific job classifications. Nothing that puts them in a position to deploy.
and it's OK to pay them a little less as well ?
Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 4:13pm   #102
NEED-A-VETTE
Moderatrix
Barn Stall Owner #109
BR Organizer II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '17
Bantayan Kids '13,'15,'17
Activity: 2.9%

Location: Your not a good moderator either, V-A-G. Honestly I find it kind of funny.
Thanked 18,133 Times in 5,358 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9966256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mercury View Post
and it's OK to pay them a little less as well ?
Why would they get paid less? They get paid whatever their rank and job classification requires...just like everyone else at that rank and job classification.

If you're talking about not having the ability to earn combat pay, for example, that's just how it goes if you don't deploy.
NEED-A-VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NEED-A-VETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2017, 4:22pm   #103
04 commemorative
A Real Barner
Activity: 36.0%

Thanked 11,017 Times in 5,143 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1007997

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE View Post
I disagree. My daughter is a lesbian. She joined when don't ask don't tell was still in effect. Many that are currently serving did the same. They joined in spite of their sexuality because their country came first.

As far as transgender serving, I think they should be able to serve in specific job classifications. Nothing that puts them in a position to deploy. I think that Tricare should not cover reassignment surgery or hormone therapy. Done.

If they still want to join under those circumstances, welcome to the military.
Well we agree to disagree then.....hey that's what makes our country great no matter what right ?
04 commemorative is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 04 commemorative For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2017, 4:22pm   #104
OddBall
A Real Barner

Thanked 10,517 Times in 5,423 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $29466197

Quote:
I disagree. My daughter is a lesbian. She joined when don't ask don't tell was still in effect. Many that are currently serving did the same. They joined in spite of their sexuality because their country came first.

As far as transgender serving, I think they should be able to serve in specific job classifications. Nothing that puts them in a position to deploy. I think that Tricare should not cover reassignment surgery or hormone therapy. Done.

Why not?
And aren't gay's and lesbians deployed? (I'm asking, I don't know)
OddBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 4:23pm   #105
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64
Activity: 34.6%

Thanked 10,155 Times in 4,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11380138

Quote:

But being able to deploy is pretty much the defining attribute the military wants in their recruits. It's the main consideration. If they are to be in only positions that are essentially desk jobs, there is usajobs.gov for that.
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 4:41pm   #106
NEED-A-VETTE
Moderatrix
Barn Stall Owner #109
BR Organizer II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '17

Location: Your not a good moderator either, V-A-G. Honestly I find it kind of funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall View Post
Why not?
And aren't gay's and lesbians deployed? (I'm asking, I don't know)
Yes. Gays and lesbians are allowed to deploy. My daughter deployed to Afghanistan.

Transgender is a different set of circumstances. If they (transgender) decide to pay for therapy or surgery on their own... Someone going thru hormone therapy would not be ok to deploy. That's not something that is readily availalble in the field. Someone that is recovering from reassignment surgery would not be ok to deploy, as there are certain things that have to be done post-op, which are not appropriate when in the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post
But being able to deploy is pretty much the defining attribute the military wants in their recruits. It's the main consideration. If they are to be in only positions that are essentially desk jobs, there is usajobs.gov for that.
Too bad. If they want to be in the military...here are the jobs that are availalble to transgender. Someone has to fill the desk jobs in the military. If they're willing to fill those jobs, why not let them? All the better. Then the people that don't WANT those desk jobs (because they'd like to deploy) don't have to fill those jobs.

Just like score parameters on the ASVAB...certain jobs are available to certain people. Being transgender is just another qualifier or disqualifier for certain jobs. They can take it or leave it.
Old 07-29-2017, 4:49pm   #107
Broken Wind
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 2,422 Times in 935 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1013854

In my Marine Corps, if you can't deploy, you can't continue to serve. No reason to have you around. See ya!
Broken Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Broken Wind For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2017, 5:05pm   #108
OddBall
A Real Barner

Thanked 10,517 Times in 5,423 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $29466197

Quote:
Yes. Gays and lesbians are allowed to deploy. My daughter deployed to Afghanistan.

Transgender is a different set of circumstances. If they (transgender) decide to pay for therapy or surgery on their own... Someone going thru hormone therapy would not be ok to deploy. That's not something that is readily availalble in the field. Someone that is recovering from reassignment surgery would not be ok to deploy, as there are certain things that have to be done post-op, which are not appropriate when in the field.

Too bad. If they want to be in the military...here are the jobs that are availalble to transgender. Someone has to fill the desk jobs in the military. If they're willing to fill those jobs, why not let them? All the better. Then the people that don't WANT those desk jobs (because they'd like to deploy) don't have to fill those jobs.

Just like score parameters on the ASVAB...certain jobs are available to certain people. Being transgender is just another qualifier or disqualifier for certain jobs. They can take it or leave it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Wind View Post
In my Marine Corps, if you can't deploy, you can't continue to serve. No reason to have you around. See ya!

This is what it boils down to. And even a pre-op transgender is a liability in this respect, and in more ways than one.

Gay and lesbians are arguably fit for service. But with a transgender there is always a risk of the transgender going through with the surgery and incapacitating him/her/itself of being fit for deployment. Whether they footed the bill or not, they made a choice to do that. The military puts itself at a disadvantage if it allows that, and the purpose of the military is to always have the advantage. Also, transgenders have a really high suicide and basket-case rate, which is also a disadvantage for the military. It would seem to me that the transgenders meet the criteria for a 4-F rating.
OddBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 5:48pm   #109
boracayjohnny
A Real Barner
Activity: 28.6%

Location: Out back of Victory Over America Palace, Baghdad while throwing chicken bones.
Thanked 8,051 Times in 3,902 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1317070

Quote:

Those that don't deploy are looked down upon. Now there are good reasons not to deploy and that's fine. Eventually your time in the shit is gonna come around. The person with some predetermined shred out to not deploy isn't pulling their part of the load and that's bullshit. Further, making a person able to serve but not deploy is starting down the slippery slope of finding reasons for others not to deploy. It's the military, you fit the mold or you don't. Every day folks are disqualified from serving for a variety of reasons. Lastly, I had a code assigned and I lived up to it, "World Wide Qualified".
boracayjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to boracayjohnny For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2017, 8:52pm   #110
NEED-A-VETTE
Moderatrix
Barn Stall Owner #109
BR Organizer II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '17

Quote:
Originally Posted by boracayjohnny View Post
Those that don't deploy are looked down upon. Now there are good reasons not to deploy and that's fine. Eventually your time in the shit is gonna come around. The person with some predetermined shred out to not deploy isn't pulling their part of the load and that's bullshit. Further, making a person able to serve but not deploy is starting down the slippery slope of finding reasons for others not to deploy. It's the military, you fit the mold or you don't. Every day folks are disqualified from serving for a variety of reasons. Lastly, I had a code assigned and I lived up to it, "World Wide Qualified".
Fair enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to NEED-A-VETTE For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic