Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-30-2017, 10:09am   #21
Fasglas
Barn Stall Owner #457
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 77.6%

Thanked 5,091 Times in 2,389 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $10200183

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
My point was in the very 1st post that you quoted.

"Pay taxes" was a simplified version while sitting on my phone in a meeting. I do believe that retirees, veterans, disabled who are LEGITIMATELY unable to work (not the I stubbed my toe disability asshats), etc should be allowed to vote as well.

Those who contribute nothing, end up with refunds on taxes they didn't pay to begin with, on welfare, etc... nope. You contribute, you get a vote. You sit on your ass and take, you don't.

You are of course free to disagree.

When the country was founded simply gives precedence and context.
Absolutely correct.
Fasglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 5:44pm   #22
OddBall
A Real Barner
Activity: 36.0%

Thanked 10,517 Times in 5,423 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $29466197

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
My point was in the very 1st post that you quoted.

"Pay taxes" was a simplified version while sitting on my phone in a meeting. I do believe that retirees, veterans, disabled who are LEGITIMATELY unable to work (not the I stubbed my toe disability asshats), etc should be allowed to vote as well.

Those who contribute nothing, end up with refunds on taxes they didn't pay to begin with, on welfare, etc... nope. You contribute, you get a vote. You sit on your ass and take, you don't.

You are of course free to disagree.

When the country was founded simply gives precedence and context.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasglas View Post
Absolutely correct.

Then we'll have to disagree.

As enticing as it is to deny a vote to deadbeats and the worthless; doing so will also lay condition on your right to vote.

Who then decides what conditions form a deadbeat? How do you decide if someone can't work or won't? In the depression the unemployment rate reached a high of 25% in 1933, and was still 15% when the war started. All those people were unworthy to vote? They refused to work?
Maybe people aren't working because the local government is so corrupt that they can't. Now you've removed the only tool they can use to make their life better. There are just too damn many ways laying condition on your right to vote can be abused. Not only that, you are creating (or reinforcing) a class system.

And what happens if your status changes? You're fired because the boss is an ass, or you're laid off? Injured maybe?
Well, you now meet the conditions of not being able to vote. And like I said, once you allow the government to regulate
your right to vote, THEY.DAMN.SURE.WILL. Especially if the far left is in power, and even the far right for that matter.

Look at it this way; I don't give a damn about the deadbeat voting, odds are that he isn't going to get up off his ass to do it anyway. What I give a damn about is keeping my right to vote.
OddBall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OddBall For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic