Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-29-2013, 8:47pm   #121
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 23.0%

Thanked 33,861 Times in 12,340 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph1972 View Post
The Drive In sounds very cooooo!
maybe we can get the drive-in owner to run the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie.

and right in the middle of the action - we'll have someone start-up a real chainsaw in the parking lot... and rev the pizz out of it !!!

Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 8:54pm   #122
mph1972
Barn Raising III
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $889

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mercury View Post
maybe we can get the drive-in owner to run the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie.

and right in the middle of the action - we'll have someone start-up a real chainsaw in the parking lot... and rev the pizz out of it !!!

I would be all for THAT! One of my all time favorite flicks. Reminds me of a funny, but very scary childhood moment I had.
mph1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 8:56pm   #123
mph1972
Barn Raising III

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleBen View Post
There are no good bars in Olongapo City. LOL!!!
About that...

I remember being a young Sailor and taking three weeks of LEAVE when I was stationed in Guam and spending them in that area.
Old 05-29-2013, 9:13pm   #124
Dave
Barn Raising I,II,III
Activity: 10.7%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $509371

The Dragon would be cool, but that would be a LONG drive! While I know it's a cool road and all, surely it's not the only road of that sort within 4 hours of BG, is it?

On the way home from a trip to Disney last November, we drove around/through the Red River Gorge State Park over on the East side of Lexington. As much as I love the scenery around BG, that area was gorgeous! Red River Gorge - Google Maps Looks like it's still 3 hours from BG though...

As much as I enjoy driving, I'll take a fun SCENIC road over repeated twisties. Then again, the Hana Highway has both curves AND scenery. Maybe we need to go there... http://goo.gl/maps/DOhUl

Last edited by Dave; 05-29-2013 at 9:34pm.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 9:22pm   #125
mph1972
Barn Raising III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The Dragon would be cool, but that would be a LONG drive! While I know it's a cool road and all, surely it's not the only road of that sort within 4 hours of BG, is it?

On the way home from a trip to Disney last November, we drove around/through the Red River Gorge State Park over on the East side of Lexington. As much as I love the scenery around BG, that area was gorgeous! Red River Gorge - Google Maps Looks like it's still 3 hours from BG though...
Old 05-30-2013, 12:07am   #126
87 Ragtop
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 0.7%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $992590

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE View Post
I will set up a drive-in night for at least one night of festivities, for those that would like an alternative to hanging out at the Hampton after dinner.

Both Stephanie and Karen from the NCM recommended a drive-in movie theater in Franklin, KY - about 20 miles down interstate 65. The good thing about this particular theater is that they have advised that part of lot is paved. Even the area that is not paved, is smooth gravel. Franklin Drive-In.

Of course, we will be at the mercy of whatever is playing at that time. However, I think that it'll be a good experience, even if the movie is mediocre, since not a lot of us have close access to a drive-in near our own homes.
This is where we had it. It was Cruise In 7 when they did this... I found a few pics from there...

Couple familiar faces too.....

87 Ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:50am   #127
NEED-A-VETTE
Moderatrix
Barn Stall Owner #109
BR Organizer II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '17
Bantayan Kids '13,'15,'17
Activity: 3.2%

Location: Your not a good moderator either, V-A-G. Honestly I find it kind of funny.
Thanked 18,127 Times in 5,356 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9966256

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph1972 View Post
Sandy, I sent a detailed PM about the Tail of the Dragon. Yes, it is a pretty long trip, but I think it is worth it. I included links, maps and other details, such as dining and trip stops. Again, it is merely a suggestion and I would not get to upset if it does not make the agenda, but who knows, maybe someone wants to go. A hotel I stayed at near there (Waynesville, NC) was the Best Western, reasonable rates, on a hill, parking was vette friendly and close to the BBQ place I mentioned as well as many other venues. Link: Hotel in Waynesville North Carolina, Waynesville NC Hotel.

Redirect Notice
Excellent! I won't be able to sit down and really take a look at it all until this weekend. I appreciate all the info. Like I said, I have no idea about the route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mercury View Post

That's be an awesome idea. Thats a classic movie. And I could just imagine the pics coming out of that.

I can definitely look into a 'special' screening. They'll probably want us to rent the whole theater lo in order to do that, though.

But it doesn't hurt to check.

Maybe minus the chainsaw, though. We do want to be invite back.

Quote:

As much as I enjoy driving, I'll take a fun SCENIC road over repeated twisties. Then again, the Hana Highway has both curves AND scenery. Maybe we need to go there... Hana Highway, Haiku-Pauwela, HI - Google Maps
That's a good alternative if the timeframe won't allow for the Tail of the Dragon. This may be something that we put up for a vote. See where the interest is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 Ragtop View Post
This is where we had it. It was Cruise In 7 when they did this... I found a few pics from there...

Couple familiar faces too.....

Very cool. I'm glad that you guys have actually been there. Looks corvette friendly to me. And it's only about 20 miles down the road.

How was the experience there?
NEED-A-VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 9:50am   #128
SpdChik
Barn Stall Owner #316418
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1001633

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN ENVY View Post
You can Make it across florida in 2.5 hours. If you start in Daytona when the sun rises at 6am you could be at Disney before 8. Hang out at Disney all day till about 5:30, then hike it to Tampa/st Pete for the sunset just before 8. Would be a long day but it has been done.
That sounds awesome! However, not to replace BR...just a thought sometime that is if I can achieve the leaving part....lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
Just something to consider about the drive-in idea. Many are not Vette friendly. The ones I have seen have some major dips and bumps. I went to a cruise night last year and they put up a screen. Someone had a high lumens projector and they played American Graffiti. I don't know if there is a place or rules about doing something similar at the Hampton.
I can check them out if you want. Most I found are less than 2 hrs from my house. I did see a few where the lot for the second screen was smooth and paved. Another thought though after looking around is that all these drive in theatres start the films very late. Usually the box office opens at 7 with movies at 8, 9, 1030. That means that we will be leaving the theatre 1000-0100. Just keep in mind the time. It would be nice to take a long scenic drive there, eat there possibly, and then have a nice quick shot home by interstate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangkiller View Post
They're implying they have an inability to drive past Disney World. And after seeing Daves goofy ass face when the subject came up, I tend to believe them.
Guilty as charged. I have the inability to drive part Disney World.

Quote:
Well, there are plenty of things to do in Nashville, besides those associated with Country Music (Country Music Hall of Fame, Ryman Auditorium, Music Way, etc.).

For instance, there is the Hermitage home of President Andrew and Rachel Jackson. And there is Belle Meade Stud which owned Iroquois the first American bred thoroughbred that won the Epsom Derby in England and stood at stud at Belle Meade. The bloodlines of Belle Meade Plantation, primarily due to the success of "Bonnie Scotland", a Belle Meade foundation stud, include famous descendants such as Secretariat, Funny Cide, Seabiscuit, Giacamo, Mine That Bird, Smarty Jones, and Barbaro. Since the 1990s, every horse that has run the Kentucky Derby is a blood descendent of Belle Meade Plantation horses.

You could take a drive out Belle Meade Boulevard and then out Chickering Road to see some of the grand houses of Nashville that can easily stand comparison to Beverly Hills or Hilton Head Island.

And, as has been mentioned there is the Parthenon in Centennial Park which is also the Tennessee State Art Museum. Inside the Parthenon is a 40' tall statue of Pallas Athena, patron saint of the arts.
Yes and we have tons of wonderful Derby themed restaurants, shopping, parks, and attractions. Wonderful area. Also, if you are Civil War buffs...Franklin, TN (nearby) has alot of natural Civil War preservation. Downtown is largely untouched. We used to tour it in grammer school. The bank and church there still have uneven ceilings and heel dented floors. Very cool place. Lots of history!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE View Post

Very cool. I'm glad that you guys have actually been there. Looks corvette friendly to me. And it's only about 20 miles down the road.

How was the experience there?
Yes, we have. Nice place They typically play what is most popular in the box office. The two screen theatres play the top two popular. Some even play back to back films that go into the morning...lol.
SpdChik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SpdChik For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2013, 10:00am   #129
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner

Thanked 7,050 Times in 3,110 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $46272

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpdChik View Post
Also, if you are Civil War buffs...Franklin, TN (nearby) has alot of natural Civil War preservation.
Grey Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grey Ghost For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2013, 10:13am   #130
SpdChik
Barn Stall Owner #316418
Barn Raising II,III,IV

I was also thinking a dinner train option would be awesome! We are fortunate enough to be in the middle of multiple lines that provide entertainment tours, shows, dinners.
I know of a few in Nashville, one in northern BG, and one that we actually passed driving to JB. Would be different....and fun!

What about an alpine slide race/competition?? The alpine slide is in cave city on mammoth cave rd. Very close to the hotel. They have dueling concrete bobsled like tracks where you sit on a skid and try to beat your opponent to the bottom. Very fun!! And yes, if you rock and push it you can fly off (not from experience )

KY Action Park Alpine Slide POV - YouTube

In addition, the same lot where the alpine slide is provides old style dodge-em cars, an old arcade, horseback riding, and water bumper boats. So the wives and/or non-racers can have fun during race time.

Oh and did I mention, you get to the top of the slide by ski lift...no stairs!

Last edited by SpdChik; 05-30-2013 at 10:15am. Reason: Add info...
The Following User Says Thank You to SpdChik For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2013, 10:16am   #131
Dave
Barn Raising I,II,III
Activity: 10.7%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $509371

Quote:
That sounds awesome! However, not to replace BR...just a thought sometime that is if I can achieve the leaving part....lol.

Guilty as charged. I have the inability to drive past Disney World.
It stands to reason that if we drive from one coast to the other, we would need to drive BACK across to where we started.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:21am   #132
SpdChik
Barn Stall Owner #316418
Barn Raising II,III,IV

Quote:
It stands to reason that if we drive from one coast to the other, we would need to drive BACK across to where we started.
Or....it would just be implied that we would only see the group on the first and last day (possibly last day)
Old 05-30-2013, 10:25am   #133
vetteman9368
Barn Raising III
Activity: 1.8%

Thanked 2,179 Times in 966 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1120967

Beech Bend Raceway has a huge race memorial day weekend, y'all should have came. It would have been a lot of fun. I probably could have gotten some cheap tickets if anyone would have shown interest
vetteman9368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:56am   #134
GentleBen
Barn Stall Owner #84
Barn Raising II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '12,'13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'19,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 4.9%

Thanked 1,754 Times in 824 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $112749

Quote:

Yes and we have tons of wonderful Derby themed restaurants, shopping, parks, and attractions. Wonderful area. Also, if you are Civil War buffs...Franklin, TN (nearby) has alot of natural Civil War preservation. Downtown is largely untouched. We used to tour it in grammer school. The bank and church there still have uneven ceilings and heel dented floors. Very cool place. Lots of history!
Unfortunately for the Confederacy, Franklin was where the war in "West" was lost. The Confederates suffered 6,252 casualties, including 1,750 killed and 3,800 wounded. An estimated 2,000 others suffered less serious wounds and returned to duty before the Battle of Nashville. Union losses were reported as only 189 killed, 1,033 wounded, and 1,104 missing

But more importantly, the military leadership in the West was decimated, including the loss of perhaps the best division commander of either side, Maj Gen (MG) Patrick Cleburne. Fourteen Confederate generals (six killed or mortally wounded, seven wounded, and one captured) and 55 regimental commanders were casualties. The six generals killed or mortally wounded were Cleburne, Brig Gen (BG) John C. Carter, BG John Adams, BG Hiram B. Granbury, BG States Rights Gist, and BG Otho F. Strahl. The wounded generals were MG John C. Brown, BG Francis M. Cockrell, BG Zachariah C. Deas, BG Arthur M. Manigault, BG Thomas M. Scott, and BG Jacob H. Sharp. BG George W. Gordon was captured. All of the killed or wounded Generals were cared for at the Carter House in Franklin.

The South had yet to learn the lesson that the Yankee Aggressors had, "that Generals and Colonels should send troops out to fight and not lead from the front".

After the war, the Yankee dead were re-interred in the National Cemetery in Murfreesboro while the Confederate soldiers were re-interred in the McGavock Confederate Cemetery on land that one was part of the McGavock's plantation "Carnton".
GentleBen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GentleBen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2013, 11:02am   #135
C5SilverBullet
Barn Stall Owner #3
Barn Raising I
NCM Supporter '11, '12
Activity: 1.1%

Thanked 4,155 Times in 1,854 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2324642

Don't forget about everyone's favorite statue of Civil War General, and KKK founder, Nathan Bedford Forrest.

C5SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:32am   #136
GentleBen
Barn Stall Owner #84
Barn Raising II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '12,'13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'19,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 4.9%

Thanked 1,754 Times in 824 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $112749

That abomination in Brentwood is a good reason why C-4 explosives exist. The individual who owns it had it erected where it can be viewed from I-65.

I would point out that at its inception the KKK was only supposed to provide support to Confederate soldiers from the depredations of the numerous Yankee carpetbaggers, that like vermin, were infesting the South after the war.

However, over time, the organization changed to one of racial intolerance and is not one that I would ever associate myself with.

Last edited by GentleBen; 05-30-2013 at 1:22pm.
GentleBen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GentleBen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2013, 11:56am   #137
Yamma
Barn Raising II,III

Thanked 1,847 Times in 775 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $18115636

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5SilverBullet View Post
Don't forget about everyone's favorite statue of Civil War General, and KKK founder, Nathan Bedford Forrest.

I pass that every day that I drive to work.....
Yamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:11pm   #138
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner

Thanked 7,050 Times in 3,110 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $46272

Quote:
Unfortunately for the Confederacy, Franklin was where the war in "West" was lost.
It really was a stupid slaughter house of repeated charges. Similar to Pickett's Charge and for the union - Cheatam Hill, at Kennesaw. We did reenactments at Spring Hill, TN. years ago. I went through Franklin, Stones River, etc..while there.
Grey Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:31pm   #139
C5SilverBullet
Barn Stall Owner #3
Barn Raising I
NCM Supporter '11, '12
Activity: 1.1%

Thanked 4,155 Times in 1,854 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2324642

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamma View Post
I pass that every day that I drive to work.....
That thing could be the worst statue ever built.
C5SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 1:40pm   #140
NEED-A-VETTE
Moderatrix
Barn Stall Owner #109
BR Organizer II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '17
Bantayan Kids '13,'15,'17
Activity: 3.2%

Location: Your not a good moderator either, V-A-G. Honestly I find it kind of funny.
Thanked 18,127 Times in 5,356 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9966256

We'll go with the Franklin Drive-In, since it is partially paved. And since its famiar to some already.
NEED-A-VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NEED-A-VETTE For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic