Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-28-2013, 9:38pm   #81
NEED-A-VETTE
Moderatrix
Barn Stall Owner #109
BR Organizer II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '17
Bantayan Kids '13,'15,'17
Activity: 12.6%

Location: Your not a good moderator either, V-A-G. Honestly I find it kind of funny.
Thanked 18,112 Times in 5,348 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9966256

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpdChik View Post
I think eliminating some of the things on the "check if interested" box that are very overdone and encouraging people to pick something different will help.

In addition, activites that are "show up and do" would be good since alot of people change their mind last minute and/or can't commit months in advance.
Some things don't work for show up and do. It depends on the event. We don't want to send people on an event and have them sold out, etc. For casual events (shopping or touring the BG town square, as examples) those are fine for show up and do. Other events, not so much. Again, the spa day is a good example of how show up and do can go wrong for us.
NEED-A-VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 9:39pm   #82
SpdChik
Barn Stall Owner #316418
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1001633

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black94lt1 View Post
CI10 was our first one also and while I love the distilleries, they don't change much. I like the poker run idea, trips to Louisville, Nashville, etc. We just need to be creative and invest some time into the planning. We should all spend the next few months researching activities, places, restaurants, etc in the area to come up with fresh ideas and then put them out there. Lets face it, we had a couple of new things this year (Jim beam was a new tour and mammoth cave was a new thing) but both had unforeseen issues that took away from them in the end.
We have done Mammoth Cave before however last time we just decided to go and went. It seems that with the portion of the crew that is actively coming...last minute seems to be popular. I think activities that can be "on the agenda" with the option to add/take away people would be convenient.

Dinners however, pre-res is a must.
SpdChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 9:41pm   #83
SpdChik
Barn Stall Owner #316418
Barn Raising II,III,IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE View Post
Some things don't work for show up and do. It depends on the event. We don't want to send people on an event and have them sold out, etc. For casual events (shopping or touring the BG town square, as examples) those are fine for show up and do. Other events, not so much. Again, the spa day is a good example of how show up and do can go wrong for us.
Those are the things that aren't show up and do obviously. I am encouraging folks to think outside the box to what activities we can do without advance reservations. For example, museums are easy...drive in theatre, lake and/or hiking (we actually had fun hiking this year)...water park. Just things that can be mixed in to break it up a little. If no one goes, oh well. If 5 decide to tag along, no harm.

Doesn't seem much different than our distillery tours. Makers mark and Jim Beam dont take reservations so last Friday we drove 3 hours to hope that we got a spot. There is risk in everything.
Old 05-28-2013, 9:51pm   #84
NEED-A-VETTE
Moderatrix
Barn Stall Owner #109
BR Organizer II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '17

Location: Your not a good moderator either, V-A-G. Honestly I find it kind of funny.

Quote:
Those are the things that aren't show up and do obviously. I am encouraging folks to think outside the box to what activities we can do without advance reservations. For example, museums are easy...drive in theatre, lake and/or hiking (we actually had fun hiking this year)...water park. Just things that can be mixed in to break it up a little. If no one goes, oh well. If 5 decide to tag along, no harm.

Doesn't seem much different than our distillery tours. Makers mark and Jim Beam dont take reservations so last Friday we drove 3 hours to hope that we got a spot. There is risk in everything.
The agenda has always been set up as a guide for things to do, assuming that if people want to do their own thing, they will. There are just some things that people suggest as a group, that is going to be popular, whih is going to require prepayment. There's just no getting around that.

I'd like to add these things to the list:

Last edited by NEED-A-VETTE; 05-28-2013 at 11:38pm. Reason: Added links
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NEED-A-VETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2013, 10:16pm   #85
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14

Thanked 5,024 Times in 2,237 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $30682687

I've been following this thread since it was started, wanted to see the many comments before chiming in.

My thoughts...

1. I think for 2014, it needs to remain in Bowling Green, especially if Motorsports Park will be (partially) open. That right there is something new, and will be of interest to many.

2. IF we shifted it to another weekend, we'd need to know if it should be earlier or later? I'd vote for earlier in May...I personally like Memorial day because it's a 3 day weekend...But I can also understand the reasons against it. No one will ever know if it's for better or worse unless we do move it. BR1 in Texas was held the weekend before, and it worked out just fine.

3. Piggybacking to another larger event, such as the C5/C6 bash IMO not a good idea, as hotel availability, and the ability to congregate becomes considerably more difficult. Though we did do that for BR1 and the LSCC without any such problems, the Weatherford hotel was not really near that event, and was chosen based on proximity to IC's home and not TMS.
Roscoe always did a hotel BBQ gathering during Mid America's Funfest, one of (if not the) largest Vette gathering there was...But all he ever managed to draw was a handful of forum people. This is about what I envision if we tried to piggyback a major event. The fact remains our event is primarily a social gathering, the Vette stuff is secondary.

4. No reason at all we can't still do something out west, perhaps later this year even. Given the many people unable to attend BRIII, this may draw more interest than usual...I know I'd be up for a trip to Vegas, or maybe SoCal...I personally would love to coincide it with SEMA, but the problem there is getting people admission, as it's not open to the public.

5. Whatever we do, we need to figure it out sooner rather than later. I used to register for CI's in January...BRIII registration didn't open until May, less than a 2 week opportunity to sign up. Not saying that to place blame, and yes I know I was no help at all this year, point the finger at me too.
We knew the when and where early enough to book the hotel, so really the NCM is the main one hurt by late registration, but still it seemed a lot of folks were wondering if there would even be an event this year in the weeks leading up to it.

That's about all I can think of right now, but please keep the suggestions coming.

Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Y2Kvert4me For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2013, 11:25pm   #86
87 Ragtop
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 1.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $992590

Quote:

One of the Cruise In's Adam had set up a Drive In movie night and all the Vette's parked together. I loved it, but still think the drive in movies are great. I didn't even think about that for this past weekend. Fast and Furious 6 would have been a great movie to see as a group...

I know I love this event and it's always been the people that keep me coming.
87 Ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 87 Ragtop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2013, 11:42pm   #87
NEED-A-VETTE
Moderatrix
Barn Stall Owner #109
BR Organizer II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 Ragtop View Post
One of the Cruise In's Adam had set up a Drive In movie night and all the Vette's parked together. I loved it, but still think the drive in movies are great. I didn't even think about that for this past weekend. Fast and Furious 6 would have been a great movie to see as a group...

I know I love this event and it's always been the people that keep me coming.
That's an excellent idea. As an alternative for those that don't want to hang out at the Hampton. And it looks like there are a few places to choose from. It's just a matter of deciding on one.
Old 05-29-2013, 7:49am   #88
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 21.9%

Thanked 33,735 Times in 12,291 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me View Post
1. I think for 2014, it needs to remain in Bowling Green, especially if Motorsports Park will be (partially) open.

Quote:

3. Piggybacking to another larger event, such as the C5/C6 bash IMO not a good idea, as hotel availability, and the ability to congregate becomes considerably more difficult.

Quote:
4. No reason at all we can't still do something out west, perhaps later this year even.
Yep; regional BR's make sense

if you read back through this thread, there a lot of peeps claiming that a "different weekend" is what they need to attend.

For me, a holiday weekend is a must. There aren't that many national holidays that always fall on a Monday and/or Friday (making for a 3 day weekend).

Memorial Day and Labor Day are the two that come to mind. Both of those are in the cooler parts of the season. Obviously... Memorial Day is out
Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 8:36am   #89
Dave
Barn Raising I,II,III
Activity: 10.7%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $509371

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN ENVY View Post

I would love a year in Florida for one. Could set up a lot of neat events, like a sun rise to sunset run. Post up on east coast to watch it rise and make a run to the west side for the sunset and stop in some old Florida towns. I know Florida is much of a far reach. But would like to entertain the idea of different areas to do BR in
Can you make it all the way across FL in one day?

I think that some of us might end up making a layover near Orlando....
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2013, 9:10am   #90
SpdChik
Barn Stall Owner #316418
Barn Raising II,III,IV

Here is a list of what I could find that is still operational. The TN/KY area used to be huge for drive-in's. Kentucky had 117 operational drive ins at one time....not counting the ones in TN. The 13 below are still open and typically run April-October. The two screen ones will play simultaneously. I made a few notes on the ones that have a little more to offer

1) Tri-City Drive-In
Hwy. 231 S.
Beaver Dam, KY 42320
Home
Holds 200 cars, opened 1954

2) Calvert Drive-In
Hwy. 95 S.
Calvert City, KY 42029
CDITweb
Holds 275 cars, opened 1953 (new screen 2004)

3)Franklin Drive-In
6250 Nashville Rd.
Franklin, KY 42134
Franklin Drive-In Theatre
Holds _ cars, opened 1969

4) Skyline Drive-In
5600 Hodgenville Road
Greensburg, KY 42782
Skyline Drive-In Theatre - Home
Holds 300 cars, opened 1956 (new screen 2002)

5) Twin Hills Drive-In
1785 Louisville Rd.
Harrodsburg, KY 40330
http://www.mytwinhillsdrivein.com/
Holds 250 cars, unknown birth, reopened 2005

6) Way Bak Wyn Drive-In
111 Speedway RD
Lost Creek, KY 41348
Home
Holds ? cars, unknown birth, 2 screens

7) Judy Drive-In Theatre
4078 Maysville Rd.
Mt. Sterling, KY 40353
Homepage of the World Famous Judy Drive-In Theatre-Mt. Sterling,KY
Holds 380 cars, opened 1956

8) Bourbon Drive-In
Jackstown Rd.
Paris, KY 40361
The Bourbon Drive In - Paris, KY
Holds 320 cars, opened 1956
has been open continuously by one family!

9) 27 Twin Drive-In
5270 Hwy. 27 S.
Somerset, KY 42501
27 Drivein Theater Somerset, Kentucky - One of the last Drivein Theaters still in operation.
Holds 300 cars, opened 1967, 2 screens

10) Stanford Drive-In
1645 Hustonville Rd. Hwy 78
Stanford, KY 40484
Stanford Drive In
Holds 150 cars, opened 1952, reopened after tornado destroyed 1996
second oldest

11) Mountain View Drive-In
1327 E. College Ave.
Stanton, KY 40380
Mountain View Drive In | Stanton, KY 40380
Holds 350 cars, unknown birth , 2 screens
on-site car wash under screen 1

12) Sky View Drive-In
1500 Celina Rd.
Tompkinsville, KY 42167
Sky View Drive-In Theater, Tompkinsville Ky 42167
Holds 350 cars, Opened 1953, 2 screens
new projector and FM sound (2nd cheapest adm.$)

13) Sky Vue Twin Drive-In
5909 Lexington Rd.
Winchester, KY 40391
Bluegrass Theatres
Holds 600 cars, opened 1945, 2 screens (oldest, cheapest adm.$ )
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpdChik For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2013, 9:16am   #91
SpdChik
Barn Stall Owner #316418
Barn Raising II,III,IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post

My thoughts exactly! I love you guys but no way Im passing Disney and not hanging there for a while. And then it's "space mountain or parking lot....space mountain or parking lot".

Just sayin....

I think thats the problem with this event being close to major attractions like Disney or Vegas. Everyone would want to take off and see things and go places. It would be extremely hard to keep the group together. In bowling green, the most exciting thing to do is to do something together
The Following User Says Thank You to SpdChik For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2013, 9:23am   #92
GRN ENVY
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #82
BR Car Washer II,III

NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13
Bantayan Kids '14
Activity: 5.8%

Thanked 1,819 Times in 959 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5504001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post

Quote:
My thoughts exactly! I love you guys but no way Im passing Disney and not hanging there for a while. And then it's "space mountain or parking lot....space mountain or parking lot".

Just sayin....

I think thats the problem with this event being close to major attractions like Disney or Vegas. Everyone would want to take off and see things and go places. It would be extremely hard to keep the group together. In bowling green, the most exciting thing to do is to do something together

You can Make it across florida in 2.5 hours. If you start in Daytona when the sun rises at 6am you could be at Disney before 8. Hang out at Disney all day till about 5:30, then hike it to Tampa/st Pete for the sunset just before 8. Would be a long day but it has been done.
GRN ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GRN ENVY For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2013, 10:14am   #93
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 7,050 Times in 3,110 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $46272

Just something to consider about the drive-in idea. Many are not Vette friendly. The ones I have seen have some major dips and bumps. I went to a cruise night last year and they put up a screen. Someone had a high lumens projector and they played American Graffiti. I don't know if there is a place or rules about doing something similar at the Hampton.
Grey Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:23am   #94
NEED-A-VETTE
Moderatrix
Barn Stall Owner #109
BR Organizer II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
Just something to consider about the drive-in idea. Many are not Vette friendly. The ones I have seen have some major dips and bumps. I went to a cruise night last year and they put up a screen. Someone had a high lumens projector and they played American Graffiti. I don't know if there is a place or rules about doing something similar at the Hampton.
That's a good point.

There are companies that rent outdoor, inflatable, movie screens. That's also a good idea. We'd have to build the cost of the rental into the registration fee. Probably just a few dollars. I'll look into costs for some local BG equipment/inflatable rental places.

I'm sure Michael won't mind setting one up. I will verify. I'll also follow up with the NCM to see if there is a drive-in that they may recommend. Corvette friendly.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:26am   #95
Mirroredshades
Mirroredskirts
Activity: 1.7%

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,137 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $25530859

How about the Amelia Island Concours ?
Mirroredshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:38am   #96
Stangkiller
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #5
Barn Raising I,II,III,IV
NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13,'14,'16,'17,'19,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 2.2%

Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,934 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2173478

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN ENVY View Post
You can Make it across florida in 2.5 hours. If you start in Daytona when the sun rises at 6am you could be at Disney before 8. Hang out at Disney all day till about 5:30, then hike it to Tampa/st Pete for the sunset just before 8. Would be a long day but it has been done.
They're implying they have an inability to drive past Disney World. And after seeing Daves goofy ass face when the subject came up, I tend to believe them.
Stangkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stangkiller For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2013, 10:50am   #97
GentleBen
Barn Stall Owner #84
Barn Raising II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '12,'13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'19,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 4.9%

Thanked 1,754 Times in 824 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $112749

Well, there are plenty of things to do in Nashville, besides those associated with Country Music (Country Music Hall of Fame, Ryman Auditorium, Music Way, etc.).

For instance, there is the Hermitage home of President Andrew and Rachel Jackson. And there is Belle Meade Stud which owned Iroquois the first American bred thoroughbred that won the Epsom Derby in England and stood at stud at Belle Meade. The bloodlines of Belle Meade Plantation, primarily due to the success of "Bonnie Scotland", a Belle Meade foundation stud, include famous descendants such as Secretariat, Funny Cide, Seabiscuit, Giacamo, Mine That Bird, Smarty Jones, and Barbaro. Since the 1990s, every horse that has run the Kentucky Derby is a blood descendent of Belle Meade Plantation horses.

You could take a drive out Belle Meade Boulevard and then out Chickering Road to see some of the grand houses of Nashville that can easily stand comparison to Beverly Hills or Hilton Head Island.

And, as has been mentioned there is the Parthenon in Centennial Park which is also the Tennessee State Art Museum. Inside the Parthenon is a 40' tall statue of Pallas Athena, patron saint of the arts.
GentleBen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GentleBen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2013, 10:53am   #98
NEED-A-VETTE
Moderatrix
Barn Stall Owner #109
BR Organizer II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '17

What about the parking lot at night? It was recently brought up to me that there were complaints that people were bored in the parking lot.

Here was my position: We have the beer trailer, so I assumed that people would want to be there. There is also the beer pong table at the Hampton. The evening was when I figured, if people didn't want to hang out at the Hampton, they were free to explore other activities on their own.

However, I was told that a lot if people have complained about a lack of evening events being on the actual agenda. Thoughts? Would you all like events planned in the evening after dinner?
Old 05-29-2013, 10:53am   #99
island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15
Activity: 99.6%

Thanked 8,006 Times in 4,537 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11975076

So with all this planning I guess the Philippines is out?

JohnnyBoracay and VatorDude could recommend some good bars up around Clark and Subic..
island14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:01am   #100
GRN ENVY
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #82
BR Car Washer II,III

NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13
Bantayan Kids '14
Activity: 5.8%

Thanked 1,819 Times in 959 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5504001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangkiller View Post
They're implying they have an inability to drive past Disney World. And after seeing Daves goofy ass face when the subject came up, I tend to believe them.
Yes...you are correct.....I was expanding the thought to possibly make it an event if BR does Floriduhhh
GRN ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GRN ENVY For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic