Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > C4 Corvette > C4 Open Discussion
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

C4 Open Discussion General and technical C4 Corvette discussion - ownership, maintenance, repairs, modifications, tuning

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2011, 12:02pm   #1
nypearson
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 0.9%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1333
Default Amp install

So I tried to install an amp and guess what, it's not working. called a friend who does this for a living and he will look at it in a couple of weeks. Until then I figured I would post some photos and get some feedback A little background, had two Alpine Flex amps hooked up, one for the front and one for the rear. I had previously installed new rear pioneer 6 by 9 in. old amp not cutting it. Bought a pioneer amp for the rear and followed instructions.

old amp

new amp

hooked up

spaghetti

nypearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 3:02pm   #2
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 43.2%

Thanked 7,742 Times in 3,447 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

What is the rest of the setup? Head unit, speakers, etc??
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2011, 7:25pm   #3
nypearson
Vette Barn Crew

An Eclipse head unit, Infiniti front coaxials, pioneer rear 6 by 9s, both amps have a remote power wire from the head unit. I'm thinking of taking out the passenger seat so I can work on it more comfortably, that was part of the problem. It was a pita to contort myself and work on it. I'll try again next weekend, will listen to any advice thanks.

I was thinking of taking my ohm meter and checking for hot with power on, then off and then just do a checklist to the amps through the crossover and trace back to the head unit. That seat is definitely gonna have to come out.
Old 02-13-2011, 7:43pm   #4
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 43.2%

Thanked 7,742 Times in 3,447 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
Originally Posted by nypearson View Post
An Eclipse head unit, Infiniti front coaxials, pioneer rear 6 by 9s, both amps have a remote power wire from the head unit. I'm thinking of taking out the passenger seat so I can work on it more comfortably, that was part of the problem. It was a pita to contort myself and work on it. I'll try again next weekend, will listen to any advice thanks.

I was thinking of taking my ohm meter and checking for hot with power on, then off and then just do a checklist to the amps through the crossover and trace back to the head unit. That seat is definitely gonna have to come out.
Interesting... I was half expecting you to say you were working with Bose which as we all know makes things a complete PITA.

With a straight forward setup like you described, troubleshooting on the internet is pretty tough. The only real advice I can offer is to make sure you have:

A) Power
B) Ground

(don't assume on these, check them with a voltmeter or at least a test light)

C) Remote wire has power when it should (again, don't assume)
D) All connections out of the head unit and into the amp are good connections. Looking at your pics I recommend going to the store and buying some connectors to hook up the wires to the amp.

Is the amp turning on? I'm not familiar with that specific model but all that I have ever seen have a light of some sort.

Does the head unit have a setting for an external amp? I don't know that model specifically but many that I have seen have a setting that needs to be turned on to use an external amp (I know Kenwood has this)
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:34am   #5
RetiredSFC 97
Barn Stall Owner #63
Activity: 2.8%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $32270

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
Interesting... I was half expecting you to say you were working with Bose which as we all know makes things a complete PITA.

With a straight forward setup like you described, troubleshooting on the internet is pretty tough. The only real advice I can offer is to make sure you have:

A) Power
B) Ground

(don't assume on these, check them with a voltmeter or at least a test light)

C) Remote wire has power when it should (again, don't assume)
D) All connections out of the head unit and into the amp are good connections. Looking at your pics I recommend going to the store and buying some connectors to hook up the wires to the amp.

Is the amp turning on? I'm not familiar with that specific model but all that I have ever seen have a light of some sort.

Does the head unit have a setting for an external amp? I don't know that model specifically but many that I have seen have a setting that needs to be turned on to use an external amp (I know Kenwood has this)
Sound advice
RetiredSFC 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 6:17pm   #6
nypearson
Vette Barn Crew

Thanks guys, I will do as suggested and let you know the outcome.

The Vette Barn > C4 Corvette > C4 Open Discussion