Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > C7 Corvette > C7 Open Discussion

C7 Open Discussion General and technical C7 Corvette discussion - ownership, maintenance, repairs, modifications, tuning

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-04-2017, 9:36am   #1
desibaba
Vette Barn nOOb
Activity: 8.1%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $680
Default Test drove Stingray then Z. Z too much to handle for me

Yesterday I went to a nice chevy dealership that was okay with me test driving both cars. A little history about me first.

I have never really owned a high horsepower sportscar before but I did own a Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle (the world's fastest production bike at its time) from 2006 to 2010. Currently im driving a 2015 Mercedes C300 Luxury Edition with a 4 cylinder turbo that makes 241 hp.

First car we got in was the stingray 2lt with the npp in automatic. Soon as I got in the car I turned the middle knob to track mode. We got on the road and as soon as it was clear I punched it when it was at around 40. I loved the loud growl of the exhaust and the acceleration was a lot of fun. Did a few more times then went back to the dealership.

Next I got in a 1lz z06 auto. The car was base except for the hideous chrome wheels. Again turned the middle knob to track and went back on the same test drive route. Again right at about 40mph I punched it. Even though the all wheels were in a straight line I felt the rear end coming loose and the acceleration punch was a lot harder as I was thrown back in the seat harder than in the 2lt stingray. Surprisingly though inside the car the Z I thought would sound much louder but the sound levels at 3/4 of throttle seemed about the same decibel level of both cars.

In both instances I felt that before I could feel the power coming on I was either coming up on another car so I had to hit the brakes or the road was curving and I had to slow down. I will likely never track the car or take it to a drag strip so I found myself wondering is it really worth paying all that extra money for the z06 for power that I wont use? Also I noticed side by side the difference looks wise was not as much as some people make it out to be on the forums with the wider body. From the front end I couldnt tell one apart from the other initially.

I wont be buying until march of 2018 because that is when the lease of my Mercedes ends. And if at that time because of the ZR1 they have insane rebates on the 2018 z06 of course I will consider it but for all practical purposes I felt like its way too much car for street use. Also surprises me that most Z owners dont track or drag race their cars so they pay all that money for performance they will never use.

Any thoughts?
desibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:15pm   #2
6spdC6
A Real Barner
Activity: 29.1%

Location: NorthernNY! (A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake) in the peoples republic of NY
Thanked 3,304 Times in 1,801 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2115673

Quote:
Originally Posted by desibaba View Post
Yesterday I went to a nice chevy dealership that was okay with me test driving both cars. A little history about me first.

I have never really owned a high horsepower sportscar before but I did own a Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle (the world's fastest production bike at its time) from 2006 to 2010. Currently im driving a 2015 Mercedes C300 Luxury Edition with a 4 cylinder turbo that makes 241 hp.

First car we got in was the stingray 2lt with the npp in automatic. Soon as I got in the car I turned the middle knob to track mode. We got on the road and as soon as it was clear I punched it when it was at around 40. I loved the loud growl of the exhaust and the acceleration was a lot of fun. Did a few more times then went back to the dealership.

Next I got in a 1lz z06 auto. The car was base except for the hideous chrome wheels. Again turned the middle knob to track and went back on the same test drive route. Again right at about 40mph I punched it. Even though the all wheels were in a straight line I felt the rear end coming loose and the acceleration punch was a lot harder as I was thrown back in the seat harder than in the 2lt stingray. Surprisingly though inside the car the Z I thought would sound much louder but the sound levels at 3/4 of throttle seemed about the same decibel level of both cars.

In both instances I felt that before I could feel the power coming on I was either coming up on another car so I had to hit the brakes or the road was curving and I had to slow down. I will likely never track the car or take it to a drag strip so I found myself wondering is it really worth paying all that extra money for the z06 for power that I wont use? Also I noticed side by side the difference looks wise was not as much as some people make it out to be on the forums with the wider body. From the front end I couldnt tell one apart from the other initially.

I wont be buying until march of 2018 because that is when the lease of my Mercedes ends. And if at that time because of the ZR1 they have insane rebates on the 2018 z06 of course I will consider it but for all practical purposes I felt like its way too much car for street use. Also surprises me that most Z owners dont track or drag race their cars so they pay all that money for performance they will never use.

Any thoughts?
Only you can answer your question!

I find I can get in plenty of trouble without having a Z06.
In fact my wife talked me into getting a 15 Vert so that meant I had to get rid of my 07 Z06. This 15 is my first auto trans Vette of the 7 I have owned. I have gotten used to it and realy do not miss rowing the boat!
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:52am   #3
sgtmajusmc
Vette Barn nOOb
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $22000520

You can always put a supercharger on the 2LT Stingray down the road. That is what I did and all in for less than the base price of a 1LZ Z06 and with more power. ECS and A&A both have very good kits and reputations. ECS kit, TSP Headers and Alky control with install and tune was right around 9K.
sgtmajusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sgtmajusmc For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2023, 11:24pm   #4
owc6
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 18.0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

The go peddle is infinitely adjustable.

It's not an on/off switch.
owc6 is online now   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > C7 Corvette > C7 Open Discussion