Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2022, 7:53pm   #21
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth
Activity: 88.8%

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,924 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2001216

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
F250 is a true barn find.

The stone barn is the chit.

That 59 is also very very cool.

The big barn is the real deal.

Nothing but awesomeness all around.
Don Rickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 8:04pm   #22
zeek
A Real Barner

Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,493 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rickles View Post
Can't believe I just bought another vehicle.....! My wife is going to shoot me

This is a true barn find that has been sitting in place for as long as I can remember. Years ago, I was talking to a neighbor about some minor carpentry needed on the farm and was shown this old pickup. Well, it's now mine! It's an F250 '79 Ford pick up!

Yo Zeek!!! I found something for the boat anchor!
Nice score... That ol T bird engine will look sweet in there....
zeek is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zeek For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2022, 8:09pm   #23
zeek
A Real Barner

Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,493 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $555

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
You'll definitely have thousands of miles on her before Zeek even get's his clap trap running.
Which one? My Bel Air is already drivable. Just needs some TLC...

Let's see what you are building...
Attached Thumbnails
20220614_100058.jpg  

zeek is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zeek For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2022, 11:04pm   #24
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 7,050 Times in 3,110 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $46272

All very cool!

But, why is the engine top so clean vs the outside of the truck? What does the seat cover look like under the mexican blanket?

Love black on red. It will be killer.

I agree, spray WD40 or oil down spark plug holes for a few days. THEN try turning motor over by hand with breaker bar. Change oil/filter before trying to start. Hope the gas tank is dry and rust free, too. You could go the extra step and hook up a drill to the oil pump drive before starting to circulate oil throughout motor. Remove valve cover and see if oil flowing and add a little up there to anything that moves.

Keep us updated.
Grey Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 6:26am   #25
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
All very cool!

But, why is the engine top so clean vs the outside of the truck? What does the seat cover look like under the mexican blanket?

Love black on red. It will be killer.

I agree, spray WD40 or oil down spark plug holes for a few days. THEN try turning motor over by hand with breaker bar. Change oil/filter before trying to start. Hope the gas tank is dry and rust free, too. You could go the extra step and hook up a drill to the oil pump drive before starting to circulate oil throughout motor. Remove valve cover and see if oil flowing and add a little up there to anything that moves.

Keep us updated.
As the story goes according to the brother (70 yr old) that has a memory like an elephant....the truck was well maintained, oil changes and serviced regularly as recommended. The truck started to blow smoke, and they simply stopped using it and put it in the barn. The family is a huge property owner here in the township, dating back from the great grandparents, quite well off. Here the truck sat for the last 26 years, I've known of it probably for 15-18 years and sure it hasn't been touched. I think the pictures are somewhat deceptive and the engine bay is not as clean as it appears but it is very nice! The outside in a dusty dirty barn with farming equipment in and out surely created a dusty outside...Yes the seat has some tears and the bench will probably need to be recovered, I haven't taken off the cover yet?

I'll hopefully have it towed home this afternoon and will take some more shots! It's a neat find!
Old 07-20-2022, 9:33am   #26
Yesfam
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 3.6%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

When my dad had a shop we used to work on lots of Fords with the 300 inline 6 engines. We had several accounts that were contractors and ran lots of Ford product. Check the air cleaner for blow-by. Some of them were so bad the oil would run out of the air cleaner. I took many of those engines apart where the piston rings either were fractured and fell off of the pistons or they were cemented in place with carbon fouling.
Yesfam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 10:10am   #27
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesfam View Post
When my dad had a shop we used to work on lots of Fords with the 300 inline 6 engines. We had several accounts that were contractors and ran lots of Ford product. Check the air cleaner for blow-by. Some of them were so bad the oil would run out of the air cleaner. I took many of those engines apart where the piston rings either were fractured and fell off of the pistons or they were cemented in place with carbon fouling.
With my quick look yesterday I did notice that the air cleaner housing was oil soaked….

I think you’re into something here….we’re these motor you tore apart salvaged or completely ruined?
Old 07-20-2022, 12:14pm   #28
Yesfam
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 3.6%

We got them bored and rebuilt them. Good as new with new pistons and rings.
Yesfam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 1:13pm   #29
Chemtrails99
A Real Barner
Activity: 8.3%

Thanked 1,355 Times in 529 Posts

I had long been a Chevy person when my Father got a '79 F-250 just like this. It was a great truck, and he later traded it in for a 1993 model. Wish he still had it instead!

I hope you keep it stock, it's survived a long time as such, and the prices on stock trucks of this age are doing nothing but going up. When I was into mud slinging those 6 banger Fords would go places nothing else but a Jeep could run. High revs and HP aren't everything.
Chemtrails99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 1:20pm   #30
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth

She’s home safe and sound!
Attached Thumbnails
BAC26A5D-5EE8-4F2C-B5C8-58DB8B30D2DE.jpg  

D347B02F-239F-4946-843D-DEEFD3663670.jpg  

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Don Rickles For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2022, 3:38pm   #31
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 7,492 Times in 3,661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesfam View Post
We got them bored and rebuilt them. Good as new with new pistons and rings.
This^^^. An over-bore and a line hone with new pistons and rings and bearings and good to go for another 150k miles.

A cyl leakdown test will tell you if the rings are shot or stuck. The oil in the air cleaner is a pretty ominous tell, though.

Great looking truck in amazing shape, though!
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 6:42am   #32
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth

I haven't even started cleaning her up yet but I'm wondering what the cost would likely be to rebuild the 4.1 straight 6? My last engine builder has retired and I have no connections to call.....

And I also need to know if the 390 would bolt up to the existing automatic transmission housing.....then deal with the motor mounts and perches.....
Old 07-21-2022, 6:45am   #33
Louie Detroit
Barn Stall Owner #0331
Activity: 39.6%

Thanked 7,779 Times in 3,171 Posts

You need to get some Zaino and bling on that mofo.
Louie Detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 6:46am   #34
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie Detroit View Post
You need to get some Zaino and bling on that mofo.
Didn't they go out of business? I still have some of their products, loved it!
Old 07-21-2022, 6:55am   #35
Louie Detroit
Barn Stall Owner #0331
Activity: 39.6%

Thanked 7,779 Times in 3,171 Posts

Quote:
Didn't they go out of business? I still have some of their products, loved it!
It looks like the demise of Zaino is greatly exaggerated.

https://www.zainostore.com/
Louie Detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 9:14am   #36
theandies
A Real Barner
Activity: 12.9%

Thanked 1,213 Times in 488 Posts

Nice find and I'd leave it bone stock.
And I really don't get this truck thing. No matter how badass looking a truck can be made to look it's still a pickup truck. I guess I don't get it as a life long sports car guy.
theandies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 12:38pm   #37
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 7,050 Times in 3,110 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $46272

Quote:
I haven't even started cleaning her up yet but I'm wondering what the cost would likely be to rebuild the 4.1 straight 6? My last engine builder has retired and I have no connections to call.....

And I also need to know if the 390 would bolt up to the existing automatic transmission housing.....then deal with the motor mounts and perches.....
I think it always comes out close to the same price whether V8, inline 6, etc...Ford parts seem to be higher priced, but machine work, etc...will be the same.

Hopefully, it would not require a re-bore, maybe just honing the cylinders to clean them up with new rings. You really have to take it apart to see if the cyl. holes are round or not. Check the valve seats and all that stuff.

It use to be around $3k to rebuild about any motor.

Google 'Comet Wash' and try an area inside the bed to see how you like it. Basically, it removes dead paint and leaves a little shine. Then you apply a good wax over it after that. Very popular thing to do now with faded single stage paint jobs. The other option would be a small Porter Cable type buffer from HD or Lowes. A few foam pads and some mild compound from Meguiars or 3M and then a layer of wax. 'Meguiars Number 7' IS THE BEST AVAILABLE for single stage paints. Then a good coat of high quality wax for protection. The number 7 puts oils back into the paint to bring out the shine.
Grey Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 6:55am   #38
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
I think it always comes out close to the same price whether V8, inline 6, etc...Ford parts seem to be higher priced, but machine work, etc...will be the same.

Hopefully, it would not require a re-bore, maybe just honing the cylinders to clean them up with new rings. You really have to take it apart to see if the cyl. holes are round or not. Check the valve seats and all that stuff.

It use to be around $3k to rebuild about any motor.

Google 'Comet Wash' and try an area inside the bed to see how you like it. Basically, it removes dead paint and leaves a little shine. Then you apply a good wax over it after that. Very popular thing to do now with faded single stage paint jobs. The other option would be a small Porter Cable type buffer from HD or Lowes. A few foam pads and some mild compound from Meguiars or 3M and then a layer of wax. 'Meguiars Number 7' IS THE BEST AVAILABLE for single stage paints. Then a good coat of high quality wax for protection. The number 7 puts oils back into the paint to bring out the shine.
I reached out to the machine shop my guy used to use for the crank work, they're are now able to do the entire job. He quoted 4k, and taking about 2 months to complete it. This is if i drop it off, oil pan to valve cover.

But I'm going to play around with it first just to see how bad things are. She's up on jack stands, wheels off and ready to be cleaned. After I get the dirt off I can begin playing with what I've got...

I also put in a call to an automatic trans rebuilder for a price to rebuild the T Bird transmission, as the small block tranny won't just bolt up to the 390. The 390 can go in but would take some doing, perches, motor mounts, wiring, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0770.jpg  

Old 07-26-2022, 1:06pm   #39
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth

So, over the weekend I had some time to play with my latest barn find '79 F250. I gunked her down and powerwashed the entire truck, of course being extremely careful near the electronics, and factory labeling etc. The little 6 banger cleaned up really nicely, as well as the chassis and interior. Next, I followed all the "Wake up Call" procedures, by turning the motor over by hand, pulling the plugs dropping in some oil into the cylinders, checking the fluids and topping off each that needed. The antifreeze looked perfect, somewhat to my surprize! I then installed a brand new battery. Everything electronic worked perfectly, lights, signals, horn, except for the overhead bulb and one turn signal bulb. Next, I disconnected the rubber fuel line at the pump (which was cracked) and installed a long section of fuel line to put into a fresh can of gas. With a couple pumps on the gas pedal, and two turns of the key, she fired up!

Luck was not on my side however, as it started tapping/knocking like a freight train.....The engine did have oil getting to the top, as it started dripping at the air filter and thru the oil cap. I shut it down after just a few seconds.....I wish I had shot a quick video of this for my record! But it seems the engine has to come out and gone through entirely.....I am a little bummed but I was told they put the truck into the barn 26 years ago due to excessive smoking.....Called a local pro and got a quote, if I dropped it off oil pan to valve cover for rebuild materials and labor 4k plus a two month turn around time frame.

I'm now back on the fence....I have the 390 completely rebuilt, hanging on the stand, but need the Cruise o Matic tranny rebuilt, or wait for the 6 cylinder and pay the 4k.....?

A390 wasn’t used in ‘79 so several other changes will be needed…. Motor mounts and perches, exhaust, probably wiring, etc
Old 07-26-2022, 1:29pm   #40
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Location: Not Ceasing & Desisting on the leeward side of Anger Island
Thanked 27,834 Times in 11,750 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209

Quote:
So, over the weekend I had some time to play with my latest barn find '79 F250. I gunked her down and powerwashed the entire truck, of course being extremely careful near the electronics, and factory labeling etc. The little 6 banger cleaned up really nicely, as well as the chassis and interior. Next, I followed all the "Wake up Call" procedures, by turning the motor over by hand, pulling the plugs dropping in some oil into the cylinders, checking the fluids and topping off each that needed. The antifreeze looked perfect, somewhat to my surprize! I then installed a brand new battery. Everything electronic worked perfectly, lights, signals, horn, except for the overhead bulb and one turn signal bulb. Next, I disconnected the rubber fuel line at the pump (which was cracked) and installed a long section of fuel line to put into a fresh can of gas. With a couple pumps on the gas pedal, and two turns of the key, she fired up!

Luck was not on my side however, as it started tapping/knocking like a freight train.....The engine did have oil getting to the top, as it started dripping at the air filter and thru the oil cap. I shut it down after just a few seconds.....I wish I had shot a quick video of this for my record! But it seems the engine has to come out and gone through entirely.....I am a little bummed but I was told they put the truck into the barn 26 years ago due to excessive smoking.....Called a local pro and got a quote, if I dropped it off oil pan to valve cover for rebuild materials and labor 4k plus a two month turn around time frame.

I'm now back on the fence....I have the 390 completely rebuilt, hanging on the stand, but need the Cruise o Matic tranny rebuilt, or wait for the 6 cylinder and pay the 4k.....?

A390 wasn’t used in ‘79 so several other changes will be needed…. Motor mounts and perches, exhaust, probably wiring, etc
Rebuild the 6 and save yourself a headache.
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJ_Critterus For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic