Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2020, 11:25pm   #21
Lakeside49
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1345
Default It’s a Ford..... but

The smart money is always on Ford’s 4WD engineers. Especially vs. Jeep. I know many of the Ford truck engineers. The majority are from families whose father and grand father are/were in the professional trades (Ford’s primary customer base) and outdoorsmen. Almost all grew up hunting, 4x4’ing, camping, towing, etc. They don’t even look over their shoulder at the competition or comparisons as Ford’s proprietary design specs are already a rising, moving target and a major handful to hit - and, above all - while their supervisor calls the shots - their motive is that they REALLY don’t want to let down their parents/grand parents or sit across from them during holiday gatherings and be chastised or second guessed by family or friends. The motive to be the best is potent and personal. You see it in their eyes. They didn’t all graduate from the nation’s top engineering schools but they’re hands-on and OCD about process, supplier quality (ask any Ford supplier employee), and are proud (and, often surprised) about making the Ford engineering/design team and failure is measured, heavily scrutinized and taken personally. An ‘UnderDog’ complex is real in this segment which Ford should have never abandoned, but created the family SUV segment (Explorer) as a much larger volume alternative. A lot of the Bronco team includes very young, up & coming folks in the company (remember, the avg. Apollo engineer was about 26, putting men on the moon) with the ‘ole guys mentoring them about prior Bronco and other advanced SUV learnings (Raptor lives there). They might not be spot-on perfect out of the gate but they are fluid, locked on and funded for a long term fight - so, I would be losing sleep if I was the Jeep team leader.... calling their shots from Italy where the Jeep helped kick their ass in WWII. If it was still an American company I would have sympathy for their being in the Ford Motor Company’s aiming sights.
Lakeside49 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakeside49 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 7:40am   #22
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 27.0%

Thanked 33,861 Times in 12,340 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadInNc View Post
[Snide] It's a copy, and bad to, of a Jeep [Snide]

[Snide] It's a copy, and bad too... [/Snide]
Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Mercury For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 8:05am   #23
Rob
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #14
Barn Raising II,III Chef

NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'20
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Ukranian Famers are the modern day Chuck Norris
Activity: 1.4%

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,475 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17601606

Let's hope that Ford does not make the same decision to limit availability like they did the Thunderbird in order to try and drive demand/price up.

I like the looks and if I didn't already have a 2021 delivery coming, I would consider ordering one of these instead.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 8:06am   #24
Lakota
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 2,923 Times in 592 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2924

Lakeside49 remarked on Ford and quality.

My WWII generation father, uncle and aunt said the following, they bought a Ford had too much trouble with it and never bought another.

In the 90's bought my first Ford and loved it. Powerful, comfortable and safe. When it got old I started having trouble. AC and then the cruise control broke. I had the Ford factory manuals and went down the diagnostic list 5 times for each problem and no luck. The engine I had had a know head gasket problem that I was lucky and never experience.

Read an article that said that Ford dealing with suppliers wanted a low price as a priority. Toyota dealing with suppliers wanted quality as a priority and wanted to develope a long term realationship with the supplier.

Went to the dark side and bought Toyota and never regretted it.

Back to Lakeside49 remarked on Ford and quality. Checked my Consumer Reports magazines and it looks like Ford cars and trucks are still troublesome especially after a redesign and this includes the F-150, F-250 and F-350 line of trucks. after a redesign
Lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 8:20am   #25
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 73.7%

Thanked 33,400 Times in 11,726 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakota View Post
Lakeside49 remarked on Ford and quality.

My WWII generation father, uncle and aunt said the following, they bought a Ford had too much trouble with it and never bought another.

In the 90's bought my first Ford and loved it. Powerful, comfortable and safe. When it got old I started having trouble. AC and then the cruise control broke. I had the Ford factory manuals and went down the diagnostic list 5 times for each problem and no luck. The engine I had had a know head gasket problem that I was lucky and never experience.

Read an article that said that Ford dealing with suppliers wanted a low price as a priority. Toyota dealing with suppliers wanted quality as a priority and wanted to develope a long term realationship with the supplier.

Went to the dark side and bought Toyota and never regretted it.

Back to Lakeside49 remarked on Ford and quality. Checked my Consumer Reports magazines and it looks like Ford cars and trucks are still troublesome especially after a redesign and this includes the F-150, F-250 and F-350 line of trucks. after a redesign

Interesting, as JD Power says Ford is above average, and not far behind Toyota in dependability. Buick is ranked higher than Toyota, which must really piss off Toyota owners.
Attached Images

Steve_R is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 9:22am   #26
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,407 Times in 17,223 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

40 years from now, attractive younger adults will be driving one of these Broncos, having a fabulous time, in a pharmaceutical advertisement for restless pinky toe syndrome
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 9:26am   #27
The_Dude
Barn Stall Owner #113
Bantayan Kids '14
Activity: 32.0%

Thanked 17,009 Times in 6,937 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $306898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeside49 View Post
The smart money is always on Ford’s 4WD engineers. Especially vs. Jeep. I know many of the Ford truck engineers. The majority are from families whose father and grand father are/were in the professional trades (Ford’s primary customer base) and outdoorsmen. Almost all grew up hunting, 4x4’ing, camping, towing, etc. They don’t even look over their shoulder at the competition or comparisons as Ford’s proprietary design specs are already a rising, moving target and a major handful to hit - and, above all - while their supervisor calls the shots - their motive is that they REALLY don’t want to let down their parents/grand parents or sit across from them during holiday gatherings and be chastised or second guessed by family or friends. The motive to be the best is potent and personal. You see it in their eyes. They didn’t all graduate from the nation’s top engineering schools but they’re hands-on and OCD about process, supplier quality (ask any Ford supplier employee), and are proud (and, often surprised) about making the Ford engineering/design team and failure is measured, heavily scrutinized and taken personally. An ‘UnderDog’ complex is real in this segment which Ford should have never abandoned, but created the family SUV segment (Explorer) as a much larger volume alternative. A lot of the Bronco team includes very young, up & coming folks in the company (remember, the avg. Apollo engineer was about 26, putting men on the moon) with the ‘ole guys mentoring them about prior Bronco and other advanced SUV learnings (Raptor lives there). They might not be spot-on perfect out of the gate but they are fluid, locked on and funded for a long term fight - so, I would be losing sleep if I was the Jeep team leader.... calling their shots from Italy where the Jeep helped kick their ass in WWII. If it was still an American company I would have sympathy for their being in the Ford Motor Company’s aiming sights.
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The_Dude For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 9:47am   #28
MadInNc
Barn Stall Owner #103
Activity: 26.3%

Thanked 31,428 Times in 10,893 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108939

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
Interesting, as JD Power says Ford is above average, and not far behind Toyota in dependability. Buick is ranked higher than Toyota, which must really piss off Toyota owners.
Where is Tesla? I heard bottom with a big margin
MadInNc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MadInNc For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic