Old 12-19-2012, 11:52am   #242
Broken Wind
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 2,422 Times in 935 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1013854

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post
Listening to the news, apparently the shooter used an AK-15 with 100 round clips full of hollow ammo shooting in fully automatic AR-47 mode.
This is why our gun policies fail.
Broken Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 1:17pm   #243
MrPeabody
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 12,309 Times in 5,942 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2214590

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdC6 View Post
You just got to laugh at some of the shit the anti gun media comes up with.

My favorite is the local female talking head that said something about the cop firing over 20 rounds out of his Glock service revolver and only hitting the perp 3 times! They even had a picture of a Glock showing in the background and to my eyes it looked like a Semi Auto, but I do not know much about guns!
My favorite was a Senator saying we have to do something about high velocity magazines.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 1:22pm   #244
Chris Fowler
Barn Stall Owner #6
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17

Thanked 1,484 Times in 828 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $437465

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeabody View Post
My favorite was a Senator saying we have to do something about high velocity magazines.
Fun hearing how the .223 round is huge and only has military applications. It's not meant for civilian use. Also that you couldn't hunt with it as the 20-30 round burst would destroy whatever you're hunting.
Chris Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:41pm   #245
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64
Activity: 34.6%

Thanked 10,155 Times in 4,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11380138

[This E-mail was generated automatically, please do not respond.]

Dear (me),

Thank you for joining the NRA. We appreciate your interest in protecting and preserving our Second Amendment rights and promoting safe, responsible gun ownership.

Your credit card will be billed for $70.00* for a 3 Year Membership in the National Rifle Association with "American Rifleman (Digital Edition)" as your magazine choice.

If you have any questions regarding your order, please email us at [email protected]. Or you may call our Toll Free Membership Account Information Hotline at 1-877-NRA-2000.

Thanks again for your interest in the National Rifle Association!

NRA Membership Services

*For all foreign and Canadian orders, additional fees for postage have been applied.
Be sure to visit our website at NRA|NRA Programs!
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:23am   #246
Chris Fowler
Barn Stall Owner #6

Personally I haven't planned on joining the NRA. I will probably be joining the TSRA (Texas State Rifle Association) for their legal protection when I start concealed carrying.

But even if I were considering joining the NRA, I think I would wait to hear their statement tomorrow. I want to see how they are going to react.
Old 12-20-2012, 3:53pm   #247
Broken Wind
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 2,422 Times in 935 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1013854

Fk the NRA. If you care about this issue, call or email your representatives now, and do it repeatedly. Get your like minded friends to do the same. Some of our reps are getting weak kneed in the face of what they perceive to be a turning tide. The antis are going to ride a wave of emotion to try put a stake thru the heart of the 2d amendment. People on the side of the constitution have to get just as loud, obnoxious, and demanding. I'm not going to lay down and be run over by this crowd.
Broken Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 4:06pm   #248
Will
Barn Stall Owner #15
Fantasy Football Champ '11,'13,'17

Location: Somewhere between mild insanity and complete psychosis.
Thanked 2,447 Times in 1,241 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1050381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fowler View Post
Personally I haven't planned on joining the NRA. I will probably be joining the TSRA (Texas State Rifle Association) for their legal protection when I start concealed carrying.

But even if I were considering joining the NRA, I think I would wait to hear their statement tomorrow. I want to see how they are going to react.
People are panicking, and joining the NRA en masse:

NRA sees rise in membership after Connecticut school shooting | Fox News

Quote:
The National Rifle Association . . . has registered an average of 8,000 new members a day since the tragedy . . .
We're talking almost $300,000 a day from NEW members. And of course you have existing members sending them contributions.

The NRA tweeted this yesterday:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA
President Obama supports gun control measures, including reinstating an assault weapons ban. White House describes gun control measures Obama supports | Reuters
https://twitter.com/NRA

I think they're going to unleash the "Gun-Grabber" attack hounds and have our back on this one. We'll see what they say tomorrow.

I would support legislative changes THAT MADE ANY DAMN SENSE. The AWB did not. Banning 30rd magazines does not. Legislating the type of stock and accessories you can put on an AR-15 does not.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 5:05pm   #249
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64
Activity: 34.6%

Thanked 10,155 Times in 4,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11380138

Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cybercowboy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 5:55pm   #250
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 43.5%

Thanked 7,748 Times in 3,448 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post

Would be a lot funnier if it wasn't true.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 9:52am   #251
Joecooool
Barn Stall Owner #10

Thanked 1,765 Times in 758 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8563902

(CNN) -- Marketers have long told potential customers that if you used their product, it would do more than satisfy your consumer desires, it would make you into the kind of person you want to be.

You may not be young, hip, and creative, but if you buy a computer from Apple, you can tell yourself that you are. Wearing a T-shirt from Under Armour won't actually turn you into an athlete, but it doesn't hurt to pretend.

And if you're anxious about your masculinity, if you aren't quite sure whether those around you find you sufficiently strong and potent, the Bushmaster corporation has an answer for you. If you buy one of their semi-automatic rifles -- like the kind Adam Lanza used to murder 20 children and six adults last week -- you may "Consider your Man Card reissued."

That's the message of ads the company has been running, along with a particularly ridiculous social media campaign. Until today -- the page has apparently been taken down, but parts of it are visible here -- you could learn on the "Man Card" section of Bushmaster's website that "In a world of rapidly depleting testosterone, the Bushmaster Man Card declares and confirms that you are a man's man." Then you could fill out a little form to bust on your buddies for not being manly enough, to "Revoke a Man Card." Just enter a brief description of the offense and put it into one of five categories: "Cry baby," "Cupcake," "Short leash," "Coward," or "Just unmanly."

The symbol for the last is the female restroom icon (a stick figure wearing a dress), but "Short leash" gets some of the best action, like "Steve A. missed a much-anticipated poker night to attend a movie musical instead," or "Heath K, where 'Yes I will' always becomes 'If she'll let me.' " All it takes to get that Man Card back is to get yourself a Bushmaster.

You don't have to be a Freudian analyst to grasp the hidden meaning. It's not even subtext -- it's text. As we begin a long-overdue examination of where gun culture in America has gone, we can't avoid the way guns have become so entwined with masculine anxiety, as so many men seek to find their identity in instruments of destruction.

This isn't particularly new, of course. Male anxiety has produced backlashes before, enacted through our fantasies as the world changes and tradition gender roles are challenged. A 1959 cover story in Time magazine described how at that time there were no fewer than 30 westerns on the three networks in prime time. For the post-war American male, an office job and a house in the suburbs offered few opportunities to prove one's manhood, so tales of two-fisted cowboys wielding six-guns became irresistible. "How long since you used your fists?" Time quoted one sociologist saying by way of explanation of the western's popularity. "How long since you called the boss an s.o.b? The western men do, and they are happy men.

With manual labor but a memory for most Americans, we have even fewer opportunities to enact rituals of manhood in the way our ancestors did. The strongest caveman may have led the tribe, but who are the masters of today's universe? A bunch of skinny, pasty kids who spend their days staring at computer screens. Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg may not be able to best you at arm-wrestling, but they could buy and sell you a thousand times over.

We have to find reassurance where we can, so even if we can't prove our masculinity on the job and our kids won't listen to us, there is a way to feel that testosterone surge through our bodies. Whatever else you think about guns, no one who has ever held one can deny that they make you feel potent and strong. You don't even need to fire it to appreciate its power -- just holding it is enough. So if watching your fantasies play out on TV doesn't quite scratch that itch, you can enact them yourself down at the range -- or get a concealed carry permit, and convince yourself that the only reason you're not Jack Bauer is that the right opportunity hasn't yet presented itself.

Here's something you may not realize: Gun ownership has been declining for decades. According to the University of Chicago's General Social Survey, in 1977, 54% of American households had guns. By 2010, the number had fallen to 32%. Yet gun sales are at record highs. That means that existing gun owners are buying more and more guns. It's not enough to have a hunting rifle over your mantle; you need an entire arsenal, just in case the government falls, society disintegrates, and you have to protect your cave -- sorry, your home -- from the marauding hordes.

That's exactly what the gun manufacturers want you to think, so you keep buying. They know that hunting will never again be the pastime it once was, and as more Americans move from rural areas to the suburbs and cities, their natural market withers.

That "responsible gun owner" politicians talk about, the one who reverentially passes down to his son the bolt-action rifle his father gave him? That guy isn't good for business. The manufacturers need the other guy, the one who fears he may not be all the man he could be.

Whenever that anxiety gets to be too much, he can go down to the gun store and buy another gun, and another, and a few more after that. He'll get thousands of rounds of ammunition too, because you never know what might happen. Then he'll go home and nod with satisfaction at his own little armory, telling himself that when the time comes for him to become the hero of his own action movie, he'll be ready. He's got his Man Card. And maybe he needs one or two more guns. Just to be sure.
Joecooool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 2:06pm   #252
Will
Barn Stall Owner #15

Thanks for the opinionated wall of text.

Leftists have no right to take advantage of others' misery in order to assault law-abiding gun owners with laws designed to hurt them and laws which would NOT have saved a single life in the incident they are using and taking advantage of for political gain.
Parler: @CarlosDanger
Twitter: @_Will_Bridges_
The Following User Says Thank You to Will For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2012, 2:18pm   #253
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Do some people buy guns to feel "manly"? Sure. I don't think anybody would deny that. With that said the implication that every person who owns more than 1 gun is holed up in a cave somewhere waiting for doomsday is f*cking ignorant, even by your standards. I find it hard to believe that even 1 person saw this ad campaign and said to themselves... "Self, you need to be more manly. You better go buy a Bushmaster rifle". It's as stupid as thinking that a person buys a Budweiser in the hopes of attracting a supermodel from across the room. The ads were nothing more than humor meant to get attention to a product. Anybody with at least a halfway functioning brain (which apparently excludes both you and the author) would be able to figure that out.

Personally, I own a hell of a lot of guns. A vast majority of them are historically significant in some way, some of them are family relics, some of them I bought as an investment, and some of them are... heaven forbid... fun to shoot. Nowhere among them is a gun that I bought to make me feel "more manly" and last I checked I am not sitting in a cave waiting for the end of the World. I also own a hell of a lot of ammo. Why? Because I like to shoot and prices keep going up. It is no different than buying any other commodity in bulk.

On a side note, nothing in that dumbshit article has ANYTHING to do with a person so f*cked up in the head that they would go shoot up a school or gives ANY reason that weapons of any kind should be banned or limited. If someone wants to stockpile ammo for their doomsday, who f*cking cares. If someone wants to go buy a .44 Magnum to compensate for other shortcomings, who f*cking cares. It is no different than someone who goes out and buys a Lamborghini. If someone wants to own a dozen M4 rifles, who f*cking cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
Leftists have no right to take advantage of others' misery in order to assault law-abiding gun owners with laws designed to hurt them and laws which would NOT have saved a single life in the incident they are using and taking advantage of for political gain.
Leftists don't need anything more than their own delusions of self righteous enlightenment to justify their assaults on the rights of the rest of us. They know that reality proves them to be a bunch of f*cking idiots so they need to wait for things like this to bypass that and go straight to playing on fear, emotion, and ideals.

You never let a serious crisis go to waste...
Old 12-21-2012, 2:26pm   #254
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Just saw this gem on ESPN:

Quote:
“I don’t think there’s any politics about gun control,” the former UConn coach said. “In my opinion, nobody should have an automatic weapon unless they’re…protecting the country. The idea that children would be faced with that, or teachers that were trying to help them…there are other things in my lifetime that I can explain — a distraught kid, a fired employee. But this is so nonsensical.

We’re not asking to take away people’s rights. The right to bear arms was put in there for tyranny, the fact that the government could come back and abuse us…As a former American history teacher, I can tell you it wasn’t put in for us to shoot each other.”

-Jim Calhoun
So apparently Jim Calhoun joins his buddy obama in the group of people who think the kid used a machine gun to shoot up the school. I think the most annoying part of all of the gun control shit is that in vast majority, they actually have no idea what they are talking about. It is impossible to have a rational debate when the other side is completely ignorant of the subject.
Old 12-21-2012, 2:27pm   #255
Will
Barn Stall Owner #15

bilmem

Questions for anyone who supports the Democrats' crass and shameful opportunism in the name of assaulting civil liberties:

1. Why is it OK for the anti-civil liberties crowd to pounce on tragedy while little dead kids' corpses are still warm, use their families' tragedy for political gain, and scream "baby-killer" at all who oppose them, but not OK for the NRA to instead remain respectfully silent, not interject, and what a while before responding to these crass attacks on a civil liberty which the NRA's sole purpose of existing is to defend from encroachment?

2. Seeing as the first edition of the AWB would have done NOTHING to prevent this tragedy or a single death (and did nothing to prevent events like the Columbine massacre), and current proposals being bandied by said shameless opportunists mentioned above would have done NOTHING to prevent this tragedy or a single death, why is the anti-gun crowd not in the wrong but Wayne Lapierre is in your opinion for giving a press conference and proposing solutions that actually would have the potential to make a difference in identical circumstances???

3. What is an "assault weapon" by your definition?

4. Do you think they should be banned? Do you think certain firearms should be banned because they look scary, while other more deadly firearms remain legal because they look more traditional? Why?

5. Do you think we need limits on magazine size? Why? What difference would such limits make? Would they have made a difference in the Sandy Hook massacre?

6. Why do you feel law abiding gun owners should be persecuted and punished?

7. Why do you feel that law breakers who commit these acts of extreme violence will choose to obey new gun laws and refrain from acquiring existing 30 round or greater magazines, or refrain from adding multiple accessories to a gun like an AR-15 in violation of the original AWB or whatever new one we are at risk of getting?

8. Why do you feel that the children in that school would have been safer if the perp decided to use a simple hand-gun, and carry an additional 10 round clip/magazine in each hip pocket? If he had decided to use a typical hunting rifle and carry extra magazines? A shotgun and carry additional ammunition?

Last edited by Will; 12-21-2012 at 3:23pm.
Old 12-21-2012, 2:29pm   #256
Will
Barn Stall Owner #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post

So apparently Jim Calhoun joins his buddy obama in the group of people who think the kid used a machine gun to shoot up the school. I think the most annoying part of all of the gun control shit is that in vast majority, they actually have no idea what they are talking about. It is impossible to have a rational debate when the other side is completely ignorant of the subject.

The Republicans should introduce a bill restricting civilian ownership of automatic weapons. (i.e. just reintroduce existing law).

Old 12-21-2012, 2:49pm   #257
Chris Fowler
Barn Stall Owner #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post

This pisses me off far more than any of the other issues when it comes to people calling for more gun control/bans.

Someone who is completely unknowledgeable about what happened, what's banned, what's not, etc. spouting off crap like this...and then the media running with it.

Shameful
Old 12-21-2012, 3:35pm   #258
lander
A Real Barner
Activity: 13.1%

Thanked 1,530 Times in 799 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $402921

The NRA nailed it today. I'll be renewing my expired membership.
lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 3:36pm   #259
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fowler View Post
This pisses me off far more than any of the other issues when it comes to people calling for more gun control/bans.
Yep.

... and lucky for us this complete ignorance encompasses about 99.9% of those calling for bans/more laws.
Old 12-21-2012, 4:31pm   #260
Joecooool
Barn Stall Owner #10

Thanked 1,765 Times in 758 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8563902

Quote:
Originally Posted by lander View Post
The NRA nailed it today. I'll be renewing my expired membership.
All they did was just rambled on about nonsensical boogy-man security issues, blaming video games and movies (literally - they did this), pornography, and Mortal Kombat.

Mortal Kombat didn't even have any guns in it.
Joecooool is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion