Hoog
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,425 Times in 727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $123317
Default Trump's motivation

In the words of Garrison Keillor

Quote:
.....The New York Times treats you like the village idiot. This is painful for a Queens boy trying to win respect in Manhattan where the Times is the Supreme Liberal Jewish Anglican Arbiter of Who Has The Smarts and What Goes Where. When you came to Manhattan 40 years ago, you discovered that in entertainment, the press, politics, finance, everywhere you went, you ran into Jews, and they are not like you: Jews didn't go in for big yachts and a fleet of aircraft — they showed off by way of philanthropy or by raising brilliant offspring. They sympathized with the civil rights movement. In Queens, blacks were a threat to property values — they belonged in the Bronx, not down the street. To the Times, Queens is Cleveland. Bush league. You are Queens.
Hoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 8:44am   #2
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64
Activity: 34.6%

Thanked 10,155 Times in 4,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11380138

So, Garrison Keillor is an elitist snob. But we already knew that.
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 9:29am   #3
Hoog
Bantayan Kids '13

Thanked 1,425 Times in 727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $123317

Of course that would be your take on this. I'm not convinced Trump is running for the betterment of anyone but Trump.
Hoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 9:38am   #4
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoog View Post
Of course that would be your take on this. I'm not convinced Trump is running for the betterment of anyone but Trump.
Of course you're not. But just think about this for a second. Do you think Garrison Keillor is going to write about what Hillary's motivation to be POTUS is? He's not ever, but why is that? And why would you even care about armchair psychoanalysis from an NPR lefty storyteller? Is it because he is saying something that makes your own decision to support Hillary palatable? Because it's either support Trump and not Hillary or not support Trump and support Hillary. That's it.

Trump has some pretty good policy positions. They are infinitely better than what we all know Hillary is going to do. Assigning motivation to those policy positions is I guess intriguing to some, but for me it can be summed up like this:

We win, they lose.

For years and years we've had presidents where "winning" meant anything but winning. Trump wants us to win. You think Trump wants to self-aggrandize. I find that strange, because it would be at best tertiary to the matter.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cybercowboy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2016, 9:39am   #5
Craig
Bantayan Kids '13,'15
Activity: 5.2%

Thanked 3,551 Times in 1,953 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1037769

Quote:
"The problem with [your company] is that you're more worried about doing the right thing, than you are about making money."

Guess who said that...
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 9:40am   #6
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
"The problem with [your company] is that you're more worried about doing the right thing, than you are about making money."

Guess who said that...
Old 09-02-2016, 9:46am   #7
Craig
Bantayan Kids '13,'15

I'm can't sit through all of that, can you give me your take?
Old 09-02-2016, 9:50am   #8
Shrike6
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Bantayan Kids '13

Thanked 1,731 Times in 902 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $619461

Quote:
In the words of Garrison Keillor
If you are quoting Garrison Keillor to knock Trump, you are just as pathetic as he is. And the bit about jews only going in for philanthropy and raising brilliant children, priceless.
Shrike6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 9:50am   #9
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike6 View Post
If you are quoting Garrison Keillor to knock Trump, you are just as pathetic as he is. And the bit about jews only going in for philanthropy and raising brilliant children, priceless.
The soft bigotry of liberal idiocy.
Old 09-02-2016, 9:53am   #10
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64

Quote:
I'm can't sit through all of that, can you give me your take?
OK, here's my take. You are supporting Hillary by not supporting Trump. I bet you can find maybe two or three things Hillary's said over the years that would make that one cherry-picked quote look like the exhortations of Ghandi. But that's not what you do, because you are supporting Hillary by not supporting Trump. You get to own that, while I get to enjoy watching cool YouTube videos.
Old 09-02-2016, 9:56am   #11
Millenium Vette
Barn Stall Owner #101
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 7.6%

Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,540 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6269655

Quote:

Guess who said that...

Someone who has lived in reality as opposed to theory.
Millenium Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Millenium Vette For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2016, 10:10am   #12
Craig
Bantayan Kids '13,'15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post
OK, here's my take. You are supporting Hillary by not supporting Trump. I bet you can find maybe two or three things Hillary's said over the years that would make that one cherry-picked quote look like the exhortations of Ghandi. But that's not what you do, because you are supporting Hillary by not supporting Trump. You get to own that, while I get to enjoy watching cool YouTube videos.
And that's the false premise. My take is that you supported Hillary by supporting a former game show host as the Republican candidate. Now that he is the nominee, you can support him all you want, you could also support your favorite tree, it won't change the fact that we'll all be saying President Clinton again in six months. My vote for Trump or anyone else isn't going to change that. If you think otherwise, you don't understand the election process or the electoral climate.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:18am   #13
VatorMan
Barn Stall Owner #122
NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'17
Activity: 7.9%

Thanked 8,400 Times in 4,253 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1158963

Quote:
And that's the false premise. My take is that you supported Hillary by supporting a former game show host as the Republican candidate. Now that he is the nominee, you can support him all you want, you could also support your favorite tree, it won't change the fact that we'll all be saying President Clinton again in six months. My vote for Trump or anyone else isn't going to change that. If you think otherwise, you don't understand the election process or the electoral climate.
The fact that you are voting for a millionaire many times over career POLITICIAN doesn't strike you funny ? As a career .Gov employee I know that I have so much red tape to jump through to keep my ass from being fired. I guess I should have learned that only the people that make the rules make the money.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:29am   #14
Craig
Bantayan Kids '13,'15

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
The fact that you are voting for a millionaire many times over career POLITICIAN doesn't strike you funny ? As a career .Gov employee I know that I have so much red tape to jump through to keep my ass from being fired. I guess I should have learned that only the people that make the rules make the money.
Gary Johnson is the poorest candidate running, he's also the best candidate running.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:39am   #15
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64

Quote:
Hah hah, so much butthurt in that. Cruz would have been absolutely destroyed by Hillary, and Kasich could only win a single state. Jeb! was horrid, Rubio looked like a 3rd grader, and Trump won more primary votes than any Republican primary candidate in history. He is a business man and not a career politician like all the other semi-viable R-candidates (let's face it, the lady who ruined HP and Sleepy Doc never stood a chance.)

Trump also represents a huge blow to the comfy inside-Washington Beltway lobbyists and their Uniparty underlings. Why we chose Trump seems quite obvious once you realize what our motivations were. Electing a Kasich or Jeb! does nothing for us, since they are the Uniparty. Cruz is so hated and unlikeable that it's ridiculous. But if he was the nominee I could have voted for him, although electing a pastor-in-chief really creeps me out.

Our motivation was to find a candidate who wasn't beholden to the Washington/Wall Street crowd. It was impossible to even fathom until Trump came along and said he wanted to actually do something about illegal immigration. Something the Uniparty fully supported not just in actions but words. If allowed to continue for even another few years, a conservative national politician would never win another election. Once Texas goes deep blue, hah.

So that was our motivation. And Trump has a hella good chance of winning this thing. Something absolutely none of the other candidates had. And if the #NEVERTRUMP crowd - that would be you Craig - would get off their ass and actually support Trump it would be a cakewalk. You and your boys are mad, you are upset that you didn't get your way, that a GOPe guy didn't get the nomination like the GOPe buys wanted, because that's the way they can control things for the Uniparty. So, there you are. That is the premise upon which you stand, your call.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:43am   #16
VatorMan
Barn Stall Owner #122
NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'17
Activity: 7.9%

Thanked 8,400 Times in 4,253 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1158963

Quote:
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:02am   #17
Craig
Bantayan Kids '13,'15

Cowboy, if there's one thing you've demonstrated here, it's that your bro-mance with Trump has made you the butt-hurt one, it would be adorable if it weren't so tragic; you're heart is about to be broken.

You've made some assumptions, let me clear them up: I'm not in the "never Trump" crowd, I'm in the "they're-both-equally-awful" crowd, so if either wins, I don't see it as a good thing. But a problem without a solution isn't really a problem, it's a fact; so I'm not going to wreck my life over it one way or another. I'm going to vote for the best candidate, and keep doing what I know how to do to make a living and have fun when I can. ...and I'm going to continue to point out the most obvious thing...he ain't gonna win...

Oh, and you're assertion that none of the other candidates had a chance to win against her is such colossal nonsense, even the Democrats don't believe that; it's not worth addressing further.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:23pm   #18
Shrike6
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Bantayan Kids '13

Thanked 1,731 Times in 902 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $619461

Craig, the Cowboy is right. Trump is the only non- politician in the race. People are sick to death of politicians. Trump is rich already, and very likely can't be bought.
He's not my dream candidate, but he is so much better than Hillary, there is no comparison.
ANYONE who doesn't vote for him, helps elect the most evil, arrogant, far left liberal since BHO. 8 years of that slimeball is enough.
Shrike6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shrike6 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2016, 4:30pm   #19
FasterTraffic
A Real Barner

Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,411 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2008887

Quote:
Gary Johnson is the poorest candidate running, he's also the best candidate running.
Sadly, that's not really saying much for the election at this point.
FasterTraffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 6:49pm   #20
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64

Quote:
Cowboy, if there's one thing you've demonstrated here, it's that your bro-mance with Trump has made you the butt-hurt one, it would be adorable if it weren't so tragic; you're heart is about to be broken.

You've made some assumptions, let me clear them up: I'm not in the "never Trump" crowd, I'm in the "they're-both-equally-awful" crowd, so if either wins, I don't see it as a good thing. But a problem without a solution isn't really a problem, it's a fact; so I'm not going to wreck my life over it one way or another. I'm going to vote for the best candidate, and keep doing what I know how to do to make a living and have fun when I can. ...and I'm going to continue to point out the most obvious thing...he ain't gonna win...

Oh, and you're assertion that none of the other candidates had a chance to win against her is such colossal nonsense, even the Democrats don't believe that; it's not worth addressing further.
OK. Well, you are indeed a lost cause. I try to get people to see a binary choice in this year's election. You are going to put your head in the sand. I think there will be a big surprise for the "Oh, Hillary's going to win anyway" crowd this November. I won't be surprised at shenanigans, at attempts to cheat, at out-and-out attempts at electoral fraud.

But, tell me this. Which candidate other than Trump would win against Hillary?

Because they didn't have a prayer. Kasich? Cruz? Creep factor 1000. Jeb! Rubio?

Sorry, we had our fill of first-term senators, Bushes, and over-eating Ohio GOP establishment-noggling governors. Only the most voters in Republican primary history voted for that one guy, Trump. But he can't win, because everyone who said he can't win says so.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion