Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-27-2022, 3:57pm   #1
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Activity: 2.5%

Thanked 9,005 Times in 2,777 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $24717333
Default “Honey, WTF was that noise?”

“Holy shit! I have no idea” (drags fat ass off couch to look around)

“Holy shit! Look!” (Points to giant tree that just fell over)

“Boom”

Then I notice on the surveillance system one camera in the front is pointing straight down. WTF.

Went to investigate and the storm ripped off a 25 foot section of gutter which broke the camera mount and tore up the roof shingles.

Home surveillance systems use different camera standards so it’s a crap shoot buying cameras. I have a shitbag WD system that is no longer supported (iPad app doesn’t work. New company who owns the tech has no plans to fix) so I’ll probably buy another shitbag system.

I need at POI wired system that fully supports mobile devices for remote viewing. Anybody have suggestions on a system?

I have a 16” chain saw. I don’t think it will do the job. (For the tree. I would not use the chainsaw to fix the gutter, although I may just cut my own head off and be done with this shit).

SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnikPlosskin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2022, 4:03pm   #2
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93

MOAR
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnikPlosskin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2022, 4:05pm   #3
04 commemorative
A Real Barner
Activity: 37.1%

Thanked 11,019 Times in 5,145 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1007997

04 commemorative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 4:05pm   #4
TheHammer
A Real Barner
Activity: 15.1%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2149

Wyze is wireless, needs power, phone app and now a PC app.
I pay $0 for subscription
good color resolution on the V3's
https://www.wyze.com/
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 4:11pm   #5
Torqaholic
A Real Barner
Activity: 20.1%

Thanked 4,388 Times in 2,405 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $15637580

That noise is no joke.

Was out hunting on a windy day once standing on the edge of a plowed field when all of a sudden I became convinced a jet airliner was crashing on top of me. Damn near crapped myself, couldn't move off the spot, nailed to the ground. Looking all over the place in shock trying to figure out what was happening. Turns out it was only the biggest oak tree I've ever seen splitting in half. Thing was 50 yards out in the field. Made that noise for quite a long while before falling. Thought the gates of Hell were opening up to swallow me
Torqaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 5:54pm   #6
Rodnok1
A Real Barner
Activity: 51.8%

Thanked 23,952 Times in 9,946 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $315482

/Dab ohhhh is it oak I could make some nice stuff from it /Dab
Rodnok1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rodnok1 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2022, 7:22am   #7
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqaholic View Post
That noise is no joke.

Was out hunting on a windy day once standing on the edge of a plowed field when all of a sudden I became convinced a jet airliner was crashing on top of me. Damn near crapped myself, couldn't move off the spot, nailed to the ground. Looking all over the place in shock trying to figure out what was happening. Turns out it was only the biggest oak tree I've ever seen splitting in half. Thing was 50 yards out in the field. Made that noise for quite a long while before falling. Thought the gates of Hell were opening up to swallow me
You ain’t kidding. It sounded nothing like a tree falling. Scared the piss out of me.
Old 10-28-2022, 7:23am   #8
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodnok1 View Post
/Dab ohhhh is it oak I could make some nice stuff from it /Dab
I thought about that too but I have no tools. It would be cool to slice that large base and make some tables or something.
Old 10-28-2022, 8:25am   #9
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Location: Not Ceasing & Desisting on the leeward side of Anger Island
Thanked 27,994 Times in 11,829 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209

I use the Arlo system. 4K resolution, FLIR, all viewing is done on computer or mobile app and it uses cloud storage. Also allows me to turn on a flood light remotely and talk/listen via the cameras. Can be hard wired for power or battery powered. One charge on a battery usually lasts me about 4 months.
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ_Critterus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2022, 8:37am   #10
bsmith
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 3.2%

Thanked 2,127 Times in 1,072 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1002313

Well, since nobody else is actually suggesting what you are asking for...

Ring has PoE cameras.
There is a yearly charge for cloud storage of the files.
I want to say it is $107 a year, for unlimited cameras.

I have ours tied to their alarm system, and the discount on my home owners insurance covers the cost of the yearly fee.
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bsmith For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2022, 8:52am   #11
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.4%

Thanked 11,567 Times in 5,704 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

Well, tell you all WHAT, I don't need no camera/recording to remember Hurry-CAINE HAZEL in '56, I wuz age 12, and the 1/4 acre house folks/I lived in had 3 LARGE trees on the lot, the one that fell during that storm was about 2' or more diameter near the base, masonry house, blocks/bricks/full basement 3 story colonial slate roof,

the house jumped at least 6" when that tree landed, from front of house/base of tree, out the lawn, across the street, into/across the back yard of neighbor on corner house, it flattened everything, took about a week to get rid of the thing......enough firewood to last years.....HELL splitting that trunk up, even after it being cut......
mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 9:27am   #12
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
I use the Arlo system. 4K resolution, FLIR, all viewing is done on computer or mobile app and it uses cloud storage. Also allows me to turn on a flood light remotely and talk/listen via the cameras. Can be hard wired for power or battery powered. One charge on a battery usually lasts me about 4 months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith View Post

Ring has PoE cameras.

I have ours tied to their alarm system, and the discount on my home owners insurance covers the cost of the yearly fee.
Temporarily I hope to find a compatible camera until I can buy a decent system. It seems the different mfgs make the cameras proprietary to their hardware (is this true?)

I can’t even figure out what standard my current cameras use.

I need to be able to access via browser, iPad, iPhone and distribute live feed to three TVs.
Old 10-28-2022, 10:50am   #13
NEED-A-VETTE
Moderatrix
Barn Stall Owner #109
BR Organizer II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '17
Bantayan Kids '13,'15,'17
Activity: 2.9%

Location: Your not a good moderator either, V-A-G. Honestly I find it kind of funny.
Thanked 18,136 Times in 5,358 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9966256

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith View Post

Ring has PoE cameras.

I have Lorex wire free. They’re pretty good. But changing out the batteries is kind of a pain. I was going to get the additional solar panels but the areas (where I have cameras) don’t really get a lot of sun.

I’ll be looking into their POE cameras next year but I have to plan out where I want them and have the cable pulled.

I like Lorex because they don’t require a monthly subscription and none of their services are hidden behind a pay wall. But you’re right, if the cost of subscription is offset by discounts it’s a win.

Edit to add: One of my Lorex cameras survived being pulled down and carried off by a bear, so that’s a plus.
NEED-A-VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 10:55am   #14
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin View Post
Temporarily I hope to find a compatible camera until I can buy a decent system. It seems the different mfgs make the cameras proprietary to their hardware (is this true?)

I need to be able to access via browser, iPad, iPhone and distribute live feed to three TVs.
Count out the Arlo system for live feed to the TVs. Can view live feeds on computer or mobile devices.
Old 10-28-2022, 10:56am   #15
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE View Post

Edit to add: One of my Lorex cameras survived being pulled down and carried off by a bear, so that’s a plus.
So, you're saying there was bear-ly any damage, huh?
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ_Critterus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2022, 11:43am   #16
CurtP
A Real Barner
Activity: 11.2%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:

Generally, if it's hosted (cloud), it's going to be proprietary (e.g., Nest, Ring, etc). If it's an on-premise (SVR) solution, it's a standard (PoE or CCTV). So the first thing is to decide which one you want, then you can go from there. CCTV is considered better than PoE, but IP based systems have gained popularity in the DIY and entry-level commercial markets.

Also, WiFi jamming is a growing concern. You can buy a jammer watch for <$50 on Amazon (and pocket sized ones if you prefer). If you're buying cameras for security, they should be hard-wired.
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 2:53pm   #17
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtP View Post
Generally, if it's hosted (cloud), it's going to be proprietary (e.g., Nest, Ring, etc). If it's an on-premise (SVR) solution, it's a standard (PoE or CCTV). So the first thing is to decide which one you want, then you can go from there. CCTV is considered better than PoE, but IP based systems have gained popularity in the DIY and entry-level commercial markets.

Also, WiFi jamming is a growing concern. You can buy a jammer watch for <$50 on Amazon (and pocket sized ones if you prefer). If you're buying cameras for security, they should be hard-wired.
I’m staying away from Wi-Fi because it’s funky here and we already put a load on it when we work.

Already wired for POE with DVR on-site - no cloud. We use it for monitoring from our office less than security. That’s a perk of owning large GSDs. Nobody farts around here without us knowing it.

So CCTV, wired POI, five cameras.

Question: will POI cameras work with different systems? Can I buy a $75 bullet camera to replace the damaged one from REOLink or Lorax or ?? Or are they proprietary standards between the brands?

Or specs that need to match? My understanding is they must use the same standards and firmware to work with any given system.

Sometime I’ll get Shadow on camera when a sales guy comes. Scares the piss out of them. He would crawl up their asses if I wasn’t there. Or if I told him to - I think. Haven’t tested that but he listens very well (uncanny) and has a huge vocabulary. He figures out what’s up really fast.

He also patrols endlessly. Like nervous energy.
Old 10-28-2022, 3:27pm   #18
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,462 Times in 17,249 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Damn, Snik! The impact was so severe it knocked your whole garage sideways!
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 4:08pm   #19
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 55.4%

Thanked 18,581 Times in 8,212 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

Quote:
I need at POI wired system that fully supports mobile devices for remote viewing. Anybody have suggestions on a system?
* PoE (Power over Ethernet)

Pretty much any generic NVR will have those features nowadays, even the cheapie systems you can find at places like Costco. The hardest part is setting up the necessary port forwarding in your firewall, and even that's not too terribly hard.

As for PoE IP cameras, I love Axis - I have some that are over 10 years old and still work perfectly. I've tried the cheap Chinese cameras (e.g. Hikvision) but they have all given me problems. Axis costs more but they are worth it IMHO.
dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 5:00pm   #20
CurtP
A Real Barner
Activity: 11.2%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
I’m staying away from Wi-Fi because it’s funky here and we already put a load on it when we work.

Already wired for POE with DVR on-site - no cloud. We use it for monitoring from our office less than security. That’s a perk of owning large GSDs. Nobody farts around here without us knowing it.

So CCTV, wired POI, five cameras.

Question: will POI cameras work with different systems? Can I buy a $75 bullet camera to replace the damaged one from REOLink or Lorax or ?? Or are they proprietary standards between the brands?

Or specs that need to match? My understanding is they must use the same standards and firmware to work with any given system.

Sometime I’ll get Shadow on camera when a sales guy comes. Scares the piss out of them. He would crawl up their asses if I wasn’t there. Or if I told him to - I think. Haven’t tested that but he listens very well (uncanny) and has a huge vocabulary. He figures out what’s up really fast.

He also patrols endlessly. Like nervous energy.
CCTV is different than PoE. CCTV is closed circuit and the cameras have 2 connections - one for power and one for video (usually BNC). The cameras are dumb. The smarts are built into the SVR and has dedicated camera channels. Because of the dedicated channels, all the cameras can record at the same time at full resolution. At least the better ones do.

PoE has the smarts built into the cameras and as the number of cameras increase, available bandwidth to each one goes down. It will reduce the resolution each camera can record, so a 16-channel PoE SVR typically can only do 720p with 16 cameras, up to 8 cameras at 1080p or 2 cameras at 4k.

Probably wouldn't hurt to look over your SVR documentation to see if it says anything about what it supports. As long as it's using standard PoE cameras, it should work as long it's within the resolution your SVR supports. Of all places, Monoprice has a pretty decent selection of cameras: https://www.monoprice.com/category/s...-&-accessories
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CurtP For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic