Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-05-2024, 1:59pm   #41
Bruze
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.1%

Thanked 9,790 Times in 4,049 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

I have no idea why anyone would voluntarily go to NYC -- especially today.

I was there in 1955 with my family, visiting another family. There are a few impressions that were burned into my 5 year-old brain.

The main one was seeing a woman laying in the alley about 5 floors below from the apartment we were staying in. I remember looking down from the window -- she was laying motionless, she'd just jumped off the roof.

I was there again around 1985 when my buddy had to make an emergency delivery; I just went along for something to do. We were only at the destination for 15-20 minutes (we were in a commercial area) but during the ride in and out I remember seeing completely gutted and wheel-less cars on the sides of the road -- anything that could be stolen already was. It looked like images from Beirut back in the day.

I live 350 miles or so from that mess, thankfully. I can't imagine how much worse it is now.
Bruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 2:02pm   #42
Onebadcad
Barn Stall Owner #116
Doesn't have a big thing
Activity: 99.8%

Thanked 9,198 Times in 4,611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruze View Post

I was there in 1955 with my family, visiting another family. There are a few impressions that were burned into my 5 year-old brain.

The main one was seeing a woman laying in the alley about 5 floors below from the apartment we were staying in. I remember looking down from the window -- she was laying motionless, she'd just jumped off the roof.

I was there again around 1985 when my buddy had to make an emergency delivery; I just went along for something to do. We were only at the destination for 15-20 minutes (we were in a commercial area) but during the ride in and out I remember seeing completely gutted and wheel-less cars on the sides of the road -- anything that could be stolen already was. It looked like images from Beirut back in the day.

I live 350 miles or so from that mess, thankfully. I can't imagine how much worse it is now.
I used to go every year, went last summer for the first time in five years.
I am good for another five, or ten, years.
I still like the sights, the buildings, the enormity.
I still hate the traffic, the aholes and the prices.
Onebadcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 2:08pm   #43
StudleyJames
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 1.8%

Was there one back in '93 (for work)
In broad daylight we were scared to walk in Times square we put our wallets in our front pockets
Attempted to ride the subway but the smeel of piss on the 1st landing made us stop

Got a $100 parking ticket for parking too close to a corner

I still would say, seeing was beliving, driving across the George Washington bridge at night seeing the wall of skyscrapper lights was awing.

Some day would like to go back and see the Intrepid, maybe the Dems could get voted out of NY office sooner than later
StudleyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 2:25pm   #44
Frankie the Fink
A Real Barner
Activity: 56.1%

Thanked 3,594 Times in 1,605 Posts

If you got out of NYC without getting mugged, pushed into a subway train, accosted by a street person or sued for $350 million then you've really done something.

I'll still pass.
Frankie the Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankie the Fink For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 2:38pm   #45
ZipZap
Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team
Activity: 12.2%

Location: A sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory
Thanked 9,204 Times in 4,373 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23236

Quote:

It was a mess in the 80's, waiting for Rudy to clean it up. Before and after 9/11 it was spectacular. Last time we went was in 2012.

The restaurants are insane. Climbing into the crown of the SoL was awesome. Shows were great.

NYC is a serious gem for the Nation and they continue to make it hard for both inhabitants and visitors to stomach. Hoping for another 90's like revival, but may have gone over the cliff.
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZipZap For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 4:13pm   #46
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,455 Times in 10,614 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
It was a mess in the 80's, waiting for Rudy to clean it up. Before and after 9/11 it was spectacular. Last time we went was in 2012.

The restaurants are insane. Climbing into the crown of the SoL was awesome. Shows were great.

NYC is a serious gem for the Nation and they continue to make it hard for both inhabitants and visitors to stomach. Hoping for another 90's like revival, but may have gone over the cliff.
After what they did to Rudy and Trump that city is probably lost forever.
LATB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 4:17pm   #47
6spdC6
A Real Barner
Activity: 35.6%

Location: NorthernNY! (A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake) in the peoples republic of NY
Thanked 3,403 Times in 1,865 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2115673

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
After what they did to Rudy and Trump that city is probably lost forever.
WOW that affirmative action mayor they now have makes David Dinkins look good. Black politicians mostly all noise and very little real action!
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 4:26pm   #48
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,455 Times in 17,246 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

I'm just legitimately grateful the OP and his daughter made it out of NYC safely. My friend's daughter attended college there, and I worried about her constantly, particularly after that feral killed the Barnard College co-ed. That could have been my friend's daughter. The day she finally left I breathed a sigh of relief.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 4:32pm   #49
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
I'm just legitimately grateful the OP and his daughter made it out of NYC safely. My friend's daughter attended college there, and I worried about her constantly, particularly after that feral killed the Barnard College co-ed. That could have been my friend's daughter. The day she finally left I breathed a sigh of relief.
A friend’s daughter went there for school. Left as a nice clean cut conservative and returned a blue haired tattooed and pierced leftist fool. Married a man hipster.
The Following User Says Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 4:49pm   #50
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,455 Times in 17,246 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
A friend’s daughter went there for school. Left as a nice clean cut conservative and returned a blue haired tattooed and pierced leftist fool. Married a man hipster.
My friend's daughter left Texas as a leftist, and came back with (colored) red hair, and a few tats, thankfully not on neck or face. She's still a polite, sweet girl, thankfully. And I get that tats on women are now somewhat mainstream, so I'm the out of touch person in that respect.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 5:41pm   #51
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112
Activity: 99.7%

Thanked 4,545 Times in 2,658 Posts

Quote:
Visited NYC in 1974 as a kid with the parents. Liberty, Empire, Time sq, etc. I ****ing hated it.
It's way better now than in the 70's. Much cleaner.

Best time to go is on a Saturday because it's The Sabbath. Park in a garage off Times Square- will cost about $100. Walk everywhere from there, plan your piss breaks around Starbucks or bars, or restaurants.
Yadkin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yadkin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 9:44pm   #52
theandies
A Real Barner
Activity: 18.0%

Thanked 1,230 Times in 499 Posts

Hope you tool a nice long shower when you go home to get that liberal cess-pool smell off.......unless you like that stench.
theandies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 9:49pm   #53
theandies
A Real Barner
Activity: 18.0%

Thanked 1,230 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
I won't have to pay for groceries in the Bay area. Shoplifting is not a crime
And you think that funny? Wow!
theandies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 10:34pm   #54
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
It's way better now than in the 70's. Much cleaner.

Best time to go is on a Saturday because it's The Sabbath. Park in a garage off Times Square- will cost about $100. Walk everywhere from there, plan your piss breaks around Starbucks or bars, or restaurants.
Not on your life my friend.
The Following User Says Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 11:14pm   #55
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112
Activity: 99.7%

Thanked 4,545 Times in 2,658 Posts

Quote:

I've seen body outlines on the sidewalk in the 80's as well as the stripped out cars. Drove my motorcycle (with Baby Doll on the back) through NYC to get to Jones Beach- a harrowing experience that I would never repeat.

In the 90's it was a great place. Juliana/ Pataki cleaned it up. We used to take the train down from Syracuse to go to conferences. We'd meet guys from Buffalo, Rochester, take over the last car and play cards all the way down.

We know people who have lived there for over 20 years, banking and legal folks. If you have the money and know the city well it can be a fun place. You just have to resign yourself that you can't just go anywhere at certain times.
Yadkin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yadkin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 12:06am   #56
Bruze
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.1%

Thanked 9,790 Times in 4,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
I've seen body outlines on the sidewalk in the 80's as well as the stripped out cars. Drove my motorcycle (with Baby Doll on the back) through NYC to get to Jones Beach- a harrowing experience that I would never repeat.

In the 90's it was a great place. Juliana/ Pataki cleaned it up. We used to take the train down from Syracuse to go to conferences. We'd meet guys from Buffalo, Rochester, take over the last car and play cards all the way down.

We know people who have lived there for over 20 years, banking and legal folks. If you have the money and know the city well it can be a fun place. You just have to resign yourself that you can't just go anywhere at certain times.
I was raised in suburbia, and although there was a lot of fields, woods, creeks etc. around I never liked it as much as going to my relatives. Two of my uncles were farmers and all my cousins lived in the country or PA mountains. I hated cities and still do.

Having said that, in the summer of 1972 my wife and I took off on my motorcycle for D.C. It was dark when we got there and we were looking for a hotel room. I had no idea where we were but I stopped for a light, put my feet down and felt something under one foot. I looked down and it was a dead rat.

We found a room, no harm done, but imagine a couple of white kids doing that now in D.C.

Rochester is about 35-40 miles away and I haven't been there since 2018. I haven't had any reason to go near there since.
Bruze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruze For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 6:42am   #57
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner
Activity: 74.8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by theandies View Post
And you think that funny? Wow!
It was a joke about the Liberal policies there.
GrandSportC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrandSportC3 For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic