Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > C5 Corvette > C5 Open Discussion
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

C5 Open Discussion General and technical C5 Corvette discussion - ownership, maintenance, repairs, modifications, tuning

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2024, 2:10pm   #1
CorvetteLola
Vette Barn nOOb
Activity: 1.1%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default Hazard switch

I replaced my 2001 C5 corvette hazard switch with an aftermarket switch about 5 months ago. It has already failed. Unfortunately GM is no longer selling this type of switch any longer so I need to buy another one. Can someone please tell me which aftermarket switch would be the best one to buy? I am not wanting to have to continue to replace it every 5 months.
CorvetteLola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 3:22pm   #2
CorvetteLola
Vette Barn nOOb
Activity: 1.1%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default Hazard switch

I found this on a Corvette discussion on the web. Has anyone in this forum done this? It sounds like a better solution. Thoughts? Please read below.

Hey Widetrack, you've actually figured out what is wrong with your car without knowing it. The Punisher has given you one option to fix the problem and here is why that will solve the issue.

The turn signals are wired through the hazard switch. Your hazard switch's contacts have become dirty and thus when you use the turn signals, sometimes they don't work. By pressing the hazard switch, you temporarily clean the contacts on the hazard switch and complete the turn signal circuit which causes them to work for a bit. Of course they will soon stop working and you'll have to repeat the process over. This is a well documented problem with the C5.

Replacing the hazard switch is a little bit of work and the hazard switch contacts will eventually get dirty again one day. A more permanent fix is to purchase the hyperflash or bypass cable. This will bypass the hazard switch in the turn signal circuit and solve the problem for good. If you ever decide to change your tail lights to LED's, this cable will also be needed because LED's do not produce the wattage of stock lights and confuse the computer into thinking that there is a blown bulb which makes the tail lights hyperflash (flash at a very rapid pace). Thus, this cable is insurance for the future and will solve your issue at hand.
CorvetteLola is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > C5 Corvette > C5 Open Discussion