Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-28-2011, 11:30am   #21
Uncle Pervey
Barn Stall Owner #762
NCM Supporter '11
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $191989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Exactly what I was going to say.

I just went though this 2 months ago as I'm switching institutions and starting at a new one in Cedar Rapids. It was tough, but after looking at where they are going vs. the new institution, it's an easy decision.

Make it happen Frank.
I wasn't sure if you took the job, good for you!
Uncle Pervey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:34am   #22
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 19.1%

Thanked 33,870 Times in 12,342 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124

In my earlier years - I didn't even blink an eye deciding to quit and move on.

The older I've become... the less energetic I am about doing it again.

Quote:
I'm going to meet with my current boss...for basic courtesy to let him know what my issues are but I'll be ready to walk at that time.
Big Mistake.

* if the company really needs you, they'll lie to your face about changes you request. Anything to keep you there.

* and now they know you're "seriously looking" (trust me, they know)... if you stay - the company will use you... until they can find a suitable replacement. Then you'll be surprised when they hand you a pink slip.

* if the company listens & acts upon your complaints... they will do nothing for any future problems that may arrise. Because??? They now know they need do zip until you threaten to quit again. No raises... no changes.... unless you spend the time to locate another employer prospect.

I can tell you I got an overdue raise once - by turning in a notice. I was talked into staying (foolish on my part); and never received another raise. 3.5 years later I went through the "find another job & turn notice in" process.... just to hear another attempt to talk me into staying - and was offered another raise.

If you're going to go as far as interviews & getting an offer from another employer, you should quit; and not be fooled into staying on.

Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:36am   #23
yell01
A Real Barner

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11005075

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5SilverBullet View Post
I'm going through it right now also. I have a fantastic offer on the table, but can't seem to just accept it.
It's a family biz and I know the one son really well. He used to work at my company and him, his dad and brother were in the conference room and they all want me to just jump now. Part of me thinks I just want to get my last car expense check next week.
yell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:38am   #24
Uncle Pervey
Barn Stall Owner #762
NCM Supporter '11

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $191989

Quote:
Originally Posted by yell01 View Post
I'm actually glad to hear it's not just me. If I leave I think 2 or 3 other guys will follow me to the new company. Not a lot of happy campers there.
Sounds like a local graphiics printing place down here, they were in business for 35+ years and did a booming business back in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Since then they have been losing customer and opportunities. Finally the only guy that was doing anything for them left for a new job and took his customers and several other followed him within months. They crashed and burned and closed the doors.

I'd get while the getting was good. Think of your family first, staying someplace you aren't happy at and have a limit future is a loosing proposition for all of you.
Uncle Pervey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:38am   #25
yell01
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mercury View Post
In my earlier years - I didn't even blink an eye deciding to quit and move on.

The older I've become... the less energetic I am about doing it again.

Big Mistake.

* if the company really needs you, they'll lie to your face about changes you request. Anything to keep you there.

* and now they know you're "seriously looking" (trust me, they know)... if you stay - the company will use you... until they can find a suitable replacement. Then you'll be surprised when they hand you a pink slip.

* if the company listens & acts upon your complaints... they will do nothing for any future problems that may arrise. Because??? They now know they need do zip until you threaten to quit again. No raises... no changes.... unless you spend the time to locate another employer prospect.

I can tell you I got an overdue raise once - by turning in a notice. I was talked into staying (foolish on my part); and never received another raise. 3.5 years later I went through the "find another job & turn notice in" process.... just to hear another attempt to talk me into staying - and was offered another raise.

If you're going to go as far as interviews & getting an offer from another employer, you should quit; and not be fooled into staying on.

You're right. The meetings with my current boss never go anywhere. He'd be a good politician as he never answers a direct question.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:44am   #26
yell01
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pervey View Post
Sounds like a local graphiics printing place down here, they were in business for 35+ years and did a booming business back in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Since then they have been losing customer and opportunities. Finally the only guy that was doing anything for them left for a new job and took his customers and several other followed him within months. They crashed and burned and closed the doors.

I'd get while the getting was good. Think of your family first, staying someplace you aren't happy at and have a limit future is a loosing proposition for all of you.
That's exactly what happened to the last place I was at. My family merged our biz with a friends biz. They were leasing our biggest press from us and were to buy it. When it came time to buy they didn't want to and the press was going and that's where 90% of my biz was produced on. I didn't have a choice but to leave. I was already set to come to my current company when I came in one day and all my files in my drawers and on my computer were gone. That was easy. I was 50% of their business and they went down a couple years later.

I do feel the longer I wait I'm just hurting myself. I've already mentioned to my biggest customer that I might make a move. They have a validation process and she told me to just talk to her and she's get the new company validated right away and I'd be off.
Old 07-28-2011, 1:17pm   #27
ConstantChange
A Real Barner

Thanked 1,119 Times in 685 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2117903

You already know what you need to do. Time for a new chapter.
ConstantChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 3:52pm   #28
bearstrail
Vette Barn Crew

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $989445

Time to make like a tree....
......and get out of there!

I worked for a family company for 10 years and it was a great experience. Lots of lessons learned and I grew a lot in the position. But after a while it became apparent that the internal politics were going to keep the company from going anywhere but bankruptcy. It was really painful to leave as I developed a family-like feeling for my co-workers. But it was definitely time to leave and I set a plan in place to migrate my operations and slip out with minimal interruption.

Coupled with moving out of Illinois, it was the best decision of my life.
bearstrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 4:19pm   #29
carlton_fritz
Barn Stall Owner #1991
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 2.9%

Thanked 7,179 Times in 3,520 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $43590365

The Barn has spoken. Leave while you can.
carlton_fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 4:23pm   #30
NB2K
A Real Barner
Activity: 1.6%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1545413

Quote:
That's exactly what happened to the last place I was at. My family merged our biz with a friends biz. They were leasing our biggest press from us and were to buy it. When it came time to buy they didn't want to and the press was going and that's where 90% of my biz was produced on. I didn't have a choice but to leave. I was already set to come to my current company when I came in one day and all my files in my drawers and on my computer were gone. That was easy. I was 50% of their business and they went down a couple years later.

I do feel the longer I wait I'm just hurting myself. I've already mentioned to my biggest customer that I might make a move. They have a validation process and she told me to just talk to her and she's get the new company validated right away and I'd be off.
I was with ya 'til that.
NB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 4:30pm   #31
Datawiz
VB Dad of the Year
RDBM
Barn Stall Owner #9

Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'19,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 11.5%

Thanked 21,179 Times in 8,349 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $35999378

Quote:
It's a family biz and I know the one son really well. He used to work at my company and him, his dad and brother were in the conference room and they all want me to just jump now. Part of me thinks I just want to get my last car expense check next week.
If it's already to that point, good luck getting that expense check.
Datawiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 7:20pm   #32
CP
A Real Barner
Activity: 1.1%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19527

Just think what the salesman for the buggy whip company felt like back in 1910.
CP is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic