Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-08-2021, 12:53am   #21
Torqaholic
A Real Barner
Activity: 24.1%

Thanked 4,344 Times in 2,376 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $15637580

Had the day off work. Sleeping in down in Indiana. GF woke me saying the WTC was burning on TV from a plane hit. Got up and watched for a minute before they mentioned another low flying plane. Told her it's not an accident, we're under attack. She didn't believe that. After it hit I told her war's coming, turned off the TV, and took a shower.
Torqaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 7:00am   #22
Chemtrails99
A Real Barner
Activity: 7.9%

Thanked 1,345 Times in 523 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Was working at National RV in Perris, California. I started work at 5:00 am every day to be able to place orders to east coast vendors and get a day's jump on them shipping. Heard the news while working. One of the managers arrived freaking out that it was a Jetblue flight, because her sister worked for them and was due for a flight out of NY that day. We spent the day with every plane talked about becoming that flight as she freaked out even more.

There were rare big screen TV's in the customer service lounge, so we put them on the news stations. Of course, when the plane hit the second tower the panic manager missed it. Our IT guy came in, heard about it and made some sort of panicked phone call. He came out of his office and said he was leaving, because we were under the flightpath for nearby March ARB. Seems he retired out of there and was aware of a number of high value operations still there the public didn't know about. He was certain that if it were an all out attack March would be a primary target.

The managers wandered in late as always and had to be brought up to date. They forced everyone who arrived to stay at work. One kept saying, "Nobody would attack the United States. We have to be here for our customers!". We literally didn't receive a single phone call all day. Normally we got around 300 an hour in our department.

It was early days for the internet, but there was a high speed connection there, so I spent my day watching things like the "SOS Temps" site and a number of Black Ops related sites vanish from the internet forever. Search engines sent me to wrong addresses, and seemed to be blocked in many places. The AF Academy had a site with text of speeches given to students available on it. There were a number of files about Bin Lauden's activities, our involvement with them and complaints we gave them too much information. By 9:00 am those files and the page for them vanished forever.

Finally, it was the first time George Soros came out from behind the curtain and started making public announcements against Bush and Republicans, and his presence on line that day was massive. Nobody else I knew had ever heard of him before that. Like he didn't know it was going to happen....
Chemtrails99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 7:58am   #23
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 7,050 Times in 3,110 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $46272

I managed a 500 station PC network for a decent sized company. Internet, email, etc...were still fairly new to most people. I had just upgraded our network with all new Cisco equip. big money pieces. I had a full T1 to the internet. The help desk started getting calls about the internet access was down. I tried mine and it was painfully sluggish trying to do anything. Then a phone call and was told a plane had hit a building in NYC. Being a WW2 enthusiast remembered a B25 hitting the Empire State Bldg. story and thought something similar or a small plane. I went to our conf. room and it was on TV. Everyone was trying to hit the internet at the same time for info and just shut my $$$ system to a crawl.

I remember the shock to everyone, including myself. Just pure shock. What would happen next? What was their next target? Completely unaware and prepared for anything like it. Shutting down the entire airline airline system.

I always thought. Just a little more planning and attacks in small towns at malls or other public gathering places and a lot of people would have gone nuts if anything had happened closer to them.

Just the shock of it...and what kind of attack(s) would be next is what I remember most.

Lots of threads on CFOT. Most got bundled into one and they were bitching about people posting or starting too many threads about it.

Still, CF being fairly new, email, internet, etc...someone from another country had contacted me just before about using my C2 Corvette pics on their website. I always thought that was considerate instead of just saving them and using them without permission. I got an email a couple days later from the guy expressing extreme grief about the attack on us and how great the US was to the world. That always moved me. He was very sincere about it. I wish I had kept it or his info.
Grey Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:11am   #24
Allan
Barn Raising II
Activity: 1.1%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $610770

Pre-surgery room awaiting to be taken into surgery for a Med-Port install so I could start chemo and watched 2nd crash on hospital bed TV w/wife & daughter.
Taken to another waiting room and commented to the nurses. They looked at me like I was already on the go-go juice. I told them to go into their break room and turn on the TV, any channel. One nurse finally came back and said "Wow, you were serious"
THEN some kind of a Code Red announcement came over the hospital PA and every employee got real serious, about everything!
Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:28am   #25
JetMechZ16
A Real Barner
Activity: 5.4%

Thanked 9,866 Times in 3,759 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $856744

I was going to the base later that day so I was home when it happened. My kids came home from school and I remember having to explain to them what was happening and why I was leaving for an unknown amount of time. The next week we deployed in response to that terrorist act. We spent the next months bombing the Taliban into the stone age.
JetMechZ16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:58am   #26
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 40.3%

Thanked 18,441 Times in 8,125 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

I was just waking up in an empty house that was due to close in 3 days. Fortunately the closing took place as scheduled.
dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 1:01pm   #27
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Location: Not Ceasing & Desisting on the leeward side of Anger Island
Thanked 27,657 Times in 11,660 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209

I was in the radio studio here in Jax. Was in the recruiters office just a few days afterwards.
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 3:05pm   #28
Shrike6
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,731 Times in 902 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $619461

I was walking into my office, and the waiting room tv was on. The news broke in with footage of the first tower in flames. The video feed was just in time to catch the second airliner hit the second building. I never in my life felt that kind of shock. Then, all I heard was sirens, and helicopters. My office was a couple miles from the Pentagon. I looked outside, and saw a huge plume of thick smoke rising from there. I was glued to the tv until the rest of the staff got in. Then, a young flight attendant came in shaking, and crying. She had to sit down before she could speak. Turned out that she was scheduled to be on one of those aircraft, but switched with a friend. One of our assistants had to drive her home right then. We all watched events as they unfolded. Traffic instantly became a nightmare for those trying to get into or out of DC. That night, when I was home, my wife and I watching all the news about what had just happened. She is a native New Yorker, and she wanted only to be shown who to kill. I must say I felt the same way. I had retired from the Air Force 2 years before, and I kept waiting for a call that didn’t come. I still had my mobility bag mostly packed. I have never felt that we really got even for that. We did nuke the Japanese for Pearl Harbor. I think we should have responded in the same degree.
Shrike6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shrike6 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2021, 7:09pm   #29
09CTSV
Charter Member
Barn Raising II,III

Thanked 1,686 Times in 652 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2106426

I was preparing our team to fly to out the next day to Puerto Rico to ride a ship for two weeks of training. I was in the Training Officers room firming up reservations and making sure the ship was ready for our team. I looked up and saw the first plane in a reply, hit the tower. Shortly after I saw in real time the second plane hit. I sent the team home knowing we were not going anywhere for a while. I was talking with the training officer when the first tower collapsed. I left the base and sat in traffic for three hours on I-64 heading to VA Beach. The next morning I had to go into the office and it took me two hours to enter the base, in uniform. They didn't care, the Marines were checking everything and everyone. I remember how weird it felt with very little aircraft in the skies, a few sorties but nothing like a normal September with Oceana Naval Air Station flying.
09CTSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 5:04am   #30
Giraffe (He/Him)
Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15

Thanked 16,607 Times in 7,133 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1009320

I was working at 3M building a chip room where they were developing something with OLED technology. I never really knew exactly what it was as much of 3M’s development shit is secret.

Word started spreading in the building *something* had happened. We kept working because as a contractor we didn’t have the luxury of stopping. When the gravity of the situation became apparent, 3M shut the job down and we found a conference room with a television and watched in disbelief.
Giraffe (He/Him) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 8:07am   #31
Blademaker
Barn Stall Owner #89
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 5.4%

Thanked 6,749 Times in 3,410 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $536709986

I was at work...My Dad came back from the bank and said a plane had hit one of the twin towers. I got an old TV and hooked it up and customers, myself and employees, watched it all unfold. My oldest son, 20 at the time, called me up, panicked, asking WTF was going on. Told him that we had been attacked, and as the years go by, shit's gonna get real.
I began purchasing weapons, ammo, freeze dried foods the next day.
Blademaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 8:53am   #32
8Up
A Real Barner

Thanked 1,268 Times in 651 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11051621

We were in McClellanville SC at the BP station on our way to Charleston to see if our IVF was successful. My wife had to stop to use the bathroom and I was waiting in the car, she came out and said there's something going on with hijacked planes. We turned on the radio in our 96 Saturn SL2 and listened to details the rest of the way.
8Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 9:08pm   #33
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 30,506 Times in 14,292 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108033784

I was in Eden Prairie, MN, having flown to MSP from BOS the night before. At the hotel I was staying at, that morning, there seemed to be more people than normal in the lobby, all eyes glued to the TV screens. The "cessna" had already hit the first tower. While I was having breakfast, the second plane hit the second tower.

I did go to work, and at the client site, they scrambled to set up TVs everywhere. Internet was horrible due to all the network traffic. Everyone at work was trying to stream live news, even though TVs throughout the site were set to the news stations.
snide is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic