Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2011, 1:14pm   #21
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 11.2%

Thanked 11,567 Times in 5,704 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwomanC6 View Post
So Sorry to hear this!

Shadow
You all take care, maybe in a few months, another horse, of course....
mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 4:52pm   #22
xXBUDXx
Barn Stall Owner #75
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 1.1%

Thanked 2,499 Times in 1,456 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $15302323

RIP Shadow

My condolences to you all.
xXBUDXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 5:57pm   #23
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
Bantayan Kids '14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 4.3%

Thanked 12,540 Times in 5,854 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1084134

VITE1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 8:12pm   #24
JRD77VET
Barn Stall Owner #327
NCM Supporter '16,'17,'19,'20
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 8.3%

Thanked 21,887 Times in 8,906 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5976008

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall View Post

They are part of the family.
Prayers sent.

JRD77VET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 9:06pm   #25
LilRedCorvette
A Real Barner
Activity: 6.5%

Thanked 3,565 Times in 1,393 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3016342
Unhappy

I am so sorry for your loss....it hurts, I know
LilRedCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 9:17am   #26
Superstreet
Barn Stall Owner #28
Activity: 0.9%

Thanked 1,731 Times in 1,193 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1346307

Awwww,man. So sorry for your loss.

Wife lost 2 horses to colic over the years.
Superstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 1:14pm   #27
Barn Babe
Charter Member
Barn Raising I
Activity: 0%

Thanked 3,353 Times in 1,611 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $10432620

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
You all take care, maybe in a few months, another horse, of course....
My mom has been wanting to buy a pony for my kids for years now, so I'm horse shopping already. Not anywhere as fun as it sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstreet View Post
Awwww,man. So sorry for your loss.

Wife lost 2 horses to colic over the years.
Now that's truly horrible. I've lost 2 to colic as well, and especially the last one was DEVASTATING! Shadow was really old and we knew it was coming. She was her perky old self just the day before so I thought we still had some time. I still expect to see her amble in front of a window and the couple of ponies I've found on line I wonder how she will get along with them. She was such a fixture around here.

Anyway, colic is just horrible. It doesn't care how young and healthy your horse is, and something as stupid as a change in the weather can cause it.
Barn Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 2:13pm   #28
DropTheTop
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #777

Location: If they told you that wolverines would make good house pets . . . would you believe them?
Thanked 1,414 Times in 928 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6589249

Rest in Peace Shadow. Heaven awaits.

DropTheTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 2:26pm   #29
simpleman68
Barn Stall Owner #17
Barn Raising II

NCM Supporter '12,'14,'15,'16,'17,'19
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 5.4%

Thanked 8,122 Times in 4,248 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $10510030

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall View Post

They are part of the family.
Prayers sent.
Sorry the loss comes at a difficult time as well.
Scott
Old 06-20-2011, 2:41pm   #30
Superstreet
Barn Stall Owner #28
Activity: 0.9%

Thanked 1,731 Times in 1,193 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1346307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn Babe View Post
Now that's truly horrible. I've lost 2 to colic as well, and especially the last one was DEVASTATING! Shadow was really old and we knew it was coming. She was her perky old self just the day before so I thought we still had some time. I still expect to see her amble in front of a window and the couple of ponies I've found on line I wonder how she will get along with them. She was such a fixture around here.

Anyway, colic is just horrible. It doesn't care how young and healthy your horse is, and something as stupid as a change in the weather can cause it.
I agree. If you are expecting something to happen to them because of their age is one thing,but if they are young and/or it is sudden is another. It still doesn't make it any easier though. I think it's the number one cause of premature death for them.

The wifes' 2 horses that passed from colic were Son who was 18 or 19 and Lady was 22. Sad.
Superstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 3:46pm   #31
Bucwheat
Barn Stall Owner #2558
NCM Supporter '12,'13,'14,'15,'17

Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,762 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6573152

So sorry,that is not an easy decision to make ,but the right one.
Bucwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bucwheat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2011, 5:06pm   #32
C5Nate
Barn Stall Owner #0

Thanked 1,878 Times in 918 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1576624

C5Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:55pm   #33
Barn Babe
Charter Member
Barn Raising I

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTheTop View Post
Rest in Peace Shadow. Heaven awaits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5Nate View Post
Those are beautiful. I hadn't cried yet today... but those just really hit my heart, but in a nice way. I know she's in Heaven, she was so sweet.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:05pm   #34
Barn Babe
Charter Member
Barn Raising I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstreet View Post
I agree. If you are expecting something to happen to them because of their age is one thing,but if they are young and/or it is sudden is another. It still doesn't make it any easier though. I think it's the number one cause of premature death for them.

The wifes' 2 horses that passed from colic were Son who was 18 or 19 and Lady was 22. Sad.
I'm sure your wife knows that those used to be the ages of horses who died of old age! Now they still compete professionally well into their 20's. There have been so many advances that have given them incredible quantity AND quality of life. It's wonderful.

On a lighter note, my mom finally got to buy my kids their very own "pony." I used " " because this mare is actually 14.3 hands and ponies top out at 14.2. She was pretty amazing when I worked with her on the ground and rode her today and she settled in real well. Unfortunately, just as we got off the freeway the man who sold her to me and was bringing her to my house had his truck break down. Lots of traffic in that area, but she never got excited.

When we finally got her home, everybody wanted to meet here, but she wanted to graze and just let everyone follow her around. The baby was being a bit overbearing, but the new girl would pin her ears back, lift her leg and sometimes squeal. I think Fiona finally got the message and left her alone and everybody else got along just fine. If she's the same horse tomorrow (when any drugs have worn off :rolleyes) I'll start a thread just for her with pictures. I have high hopes.

Something tells me Shadow had something to do with that particular CL ad getting my attention. Shadow was special to Elisa and me. Elisa and I were born on the same day, just a few hours apart, so it stands to reason that we will die the same day and Shadow will be there at the Rainbow Bridge waiting for us. If I go first, I'll just wait with all my other animals too until Elisa gets there.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:07pm   #35
Uncle Pervey
Barn Stall Owner #762
NCM Supporter '11

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $191989

Really sorry to hear about her loss, I am not a horse person, but I can understand someone becoming emotionally attached to an animal, especially with the sort of personality that the old horse apparently had.
I love animals, in fact I love them too much to allow myself to become attached to one. They are too ephemeral and temporary in our lives and losing one is like losing a member of the family.
Uncle Pervey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 3:09am   #36
Barn Babe
Charter Member
Barn Raising I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pervey View Post
Really sorry to hear about her loss, I am not a horse person, but I can understand someone becoming emotionally attached to an animal, especially with the sort of personality that the old horse apparently had.
I love animals, in fact I love them too much to allow myself to become attached to one. They are too ephemeral and temporary in our lives and losing one is like losing a member of the family.

That's not uncommon.
Old 06-21-2011, 6:51am   #37
nhra_ta
Barn Stall Owner #36

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6938

Quote:
I'm sure your wife knows that those used to be the ages of horses who died of old age! Now they still compete professionally well into their 20's. There have been so many advances that have given them incredible quantity AND quality of life. It's wonderful.

On a lighter note, my mom finally got to buy my kids their very own "pony." I used " " because this mare is actually 14.3 hands and ponies top out at 14.2. She was pretty amazing when I worked with her on the ground and rode her today and she settled in real well. Unfortunately, just as we got off the freeway the man who sold her to me and was bringing her to my house had his truck break down. Lots of traffic in that area, but she never got excited.

When we finally got her home, everybody wanted to meet here, but she wanted to graze and just let everyone follow her around. The baby was being a bit overbearing, but the new girl would pin her ears back, lift her leg and sometimes squeal. I think Fiona finally got the message and left her alone and everybody else got along just fine. If she's the same horse tomorrow (when any drugs have worn off :rolleyes) I'll start a thread just for her with pictures. I have high hopes.

Something tells me Shadow had something to do with that particular CL ad getting my attention. Shadow was special to Elisa and me. Elisa and I were born on the same day, just a few hours apart, so it stands to reason that we will die the same day and Shadow will be there at the Rainbow Bridge waiting for us. If I go first, I'll just wait with all my other animals too until Elisa gets there.
I'm very sorry to hear about Shadow. It is so hard to lose them.

Son and Lady being struck down by colic caught us by surprise. Neither one acted their age at all. It was really hard, they died about 9 months apart. My goat actually alerted me when something was wrong with Lady. I had just gotten home from work when I heard a noise outside and looked out to see her trying to climb up the stairs to the back deck. She had let herself out of the pasture, which she did on rare occasions usually to treat herself to my flowers, lol. I went out to put her back and instead of making me chase her she went directly to the gate by the barn and kept looking back to make sure I was following. She went straight to Lady's stall and put her front hooves on the door. Lady was down and in obvious pain. I got her up and walking but I could tell she was bad. I got her immediately in the trailer and to the closest vet hosp. They took her in for surgery but she was too bad off and we had her put down.

I can't wait to see pics of the new 'pony'. She sounds like she's going to be a wonderful new addition.
nhra_ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 7:03am   #38
Barn Babe
Charter Member
Barn Raising I

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhra_ta View Post
I'm very sorry to hear about Shadow. It is so hard to lose them.

Son and Lady being struck down by colic caught us by surprise. Neither one acted their age at all. It was really hard, they died about 9 months apart. My goat actually alerted me when something was wrong with Lady. I had just gotten home from work when I heard a noise outside and looked out to see her trying to climb up the stairs to the back deck. She had let herself out of the pasture, which she did on rare occasions usually to treat herself to my flowers, lol. I went out to put her back and instead of making me chase her she went directly to the gate by the barn and kept looking back to make sure I was following. She went straight to Lady's stall and put her front hooves on the door. Lady was down and in obvious pain. I got her up and walking but I could tell she was bad. I got her immediately in the trailer and to the closest vet hosp. They took her in for surgery but she was too bad off and we had her put down.

I can't wait to see pics of the new 'pony'. She sounds like she's going to be a wonderful new addition.
You probably never figured out what caused either case of colic either, it can happen over anything. I hate the phrase "healthy as a horse" because they are so darned fragile.

How cool of your goat! They can be so cool when raised with love, either love from a person or another animal. When Shadow was put down, I swear my big goat The Tramp (twin to Lady) was trying to comfort Elisa and I.

It feels strange to be happy about a new horse so soon, but it just all happened so fast. I keep reminding myself that this horse isn't replacing Shadow, nobody could do that.
Old 06-21-2011, 7:57am   #39
nhra_ta
Barn Stall Owner #36

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6938

Quote:
You probably never figured out what caused either case of colic either, it can happen over anything. I hate the phrase "healthy as a horse" because they are so darned fragile.

How cool of your goat! They can be so cool when raised with love, either love from a person or another animal. When Shadow was put down, I swear my big goat The Tramp (twin to Lady) was trying to comfort Elisa and I.

It feels strange to be happy about a new horse so soon, but it just all happened so fast. I keep reminding myself that this horse isn't replacing Shadow, nobody could do that.
No, we never really knew. Especially with Son he was always healthy.
Lady had had some issues in the past. That poor girl had been through some $hit her lifetime. Frank, my mentor and the person that basically gave her to me got her from his father. She was given to his father as a 2yr old. She was being trained to go 'big lick' padded Walking Horse. From what Frank said, she was something to see when she was up on pads. I could never own a padded horse, I don't believe in that and all that goes with it. Anyway, a barn hand accidentally let Lady out and took off at a dead run across the pasture (I can only imagine what she was like at 2, she was a handful at 22, LOL!) While running, she ripped the pads off, taking most of her hooves with them. The vet said there was nothing he could do and wanted to put her down right then. Frank's father said she was too good of a horse to give up on her and he thought he could get her healed up. Her owner told him if he could heal her he could have her. So he took her home and made a sling from the rafters to go around her behind her front legs so she wouldn't have to stand with her weight on her front hooves. The vet gave her meds for pain and Frank's dad made up a potion he dressed her hooves with every day and they grew back. Then a few years later she was being bred live cover and the stud tore a hole in her side with his front hoof. Again, Frank's dad healed her up but it left a mark on her side that stayed the rest of her life. It was scar tissue from that that the vets think contributed to her colic.
She was such a wonderful mare, I'm so happy Frank's dad was able to save her so many years ago.

My goat was something else, lol! She was raised with dogs and even lived in a house for a period of time. She would even chase the mailman. When she was given to me she was no longer a house goat, which was just fine because I think I'd have to draw the line with letting a goat live in the house. She still wanted to be a lap goat from time to time though.

No, no horse will be able to replace Shadow but the new one will hopefully help take your mind off of her loss.
nhra_ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:09am   #40
BuckyThreadkiller
Barn Stall Owner #12
Barn Raising I
NCM Supporter '11, '12

Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,065 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $168047

Quote:

Let's take our time on that last bit, OK?
BuckyThreadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic